• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The true Way of Lucario Playstyle - Advance

sasukemaro

Smash Rookie
I'm always watching around this forum and i'm a Lucario main, i really play against my friends atlease six times a day, i know how to apply everything now thinking about it from reading. But wat i think we all should get is some videos to show the advance techniques and a few matches to see how to apply all of thing Lucario true way of play, it would be good to see the safe moves and unsafe moves to do i a video plus safe aproaching etc.

Thanks in advance......:(:chuckle:

Milln

Smash Champion
Lucario has the ability to be played in many different ways effectively and can also change his playstyle in the middle of the match. There's really no "true" way to play him, he's so flexible.

For instance, I use lots of attack chains and sphere followups in my game.I take it back.

My Lucario is the most mind-boggling Lucario anyone's ever faced. Every trap I lay, they run right into it or let me trap them even further. I love it.
D.Disciple has an amazing aerial based Lucario.
Tallen, or I think it's Tallen, has a Lucario that loves to counter.
I'm sure somebody else has an Aura Sphere based Lucario.

It's really just down to your playstyle and how well you can pull it off.

Lupo

Smash Cadet
Me likes the ground play.

Uhm...I'm currently working on a Lucario combo video, so if that's what you want then I can disect some of the combos.

And just to be fair, watch all of Inner Fire. I look foward to it like a favorite T.V. show. Inner Fire = Epic podcast.

I really see what you mean, and I would love videos like that. Try watching some Buzzsaw videos, because he used combos effeciently and effectively.

O.d.L

Smash Rookie
Lucario has the ability to be played in many different ways effectively and can also change his playstyle in the middle of the match. There's really no "true" way to play him, he's so flexible.

For instance, I use lots of attack chains and sphere followups in my game.
D.Disciple has an amazing aerial based Lucario.
I'm sure somebody else has an Aura Sphere based Lucario.
It's really just down to your playstyle and how well you can pull it off.
LOL, i play that way, just that i NEED to be more spontanously, most of the people i play normally cant predict me, but i have friend who is really good(the kind of person who win tournaments and all that) and he kind of know when im gonna shoot u.u... but tha problem is just with him =P, and wanna learn other ways of playing lucario, so i'll send you pm

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I have an on/off styled Lucario. I'm extremely aggressive when at low %, and any time the opponent is in the air or off the stage, but very defensive once my % gets past 130%. After 150% I pick up and become very aggressive again.

My Lucario also doesn't move around much on the ground, he approaches really carefully and does a lot of standing in place and watching the opponent's movements as long as they're standing on solid ground, aura spheres etc. If they jump, then I suddenly switch to attack mode.

I also go for chain throws and aggressive edgeguarding whenever possible. I also do a lot of foxtrotting and backwards stutter stepped Fsmashes. I don't really use double team much, even though it's a move I like.

Tyrael64

Smash Journeyman
My Lucario is very roll-oriented. His roll is so fast, it's my bread and butter. I lurves it to pieces, yes I does.

Browny

Smash Hater
my lucario loves aura sphere... whenever im knocked into the air, instantly begin charging aura sphere, airdodge any pathetic attempts to combo in this game (lol)

other than that, lots of d-smashes... mmmmm

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I can rarely ever find a place for Dsmash in my game...it just doesn't seem to fit in anywhere. Most of the time, Fsmash and Usmash are the only smashes I use.

It's mainly because I find Dsmash's range to be a bit too short for what it does and it's activation speed, which is the same as Fsmash. It's not very good at catching rollers either, since they'll often still get to shield it...

Tallen

Smash Journeyman
Yup that's me XD
Despite being a double-team nut i'm not 100% counter though. My favorite strategy is really playing mindtricks with my friends, constantly changing the playing style and keeping them on their toes with double-teams. I'm also excelent with Aura Sphere (my favorite KO after double-team is to utilt or dthrow the opponent into the air and hit them with a full charged aura sphere in hopes of star KO). i'm also a survival maniac: swear to god my friends hardly ever manage to KO me before I reach 150% unless they use a FS.
my one true flaw is: i'm TERRIBLE at combos. (something I can't fix even after watching Infi-tan's videos over and over)

Either way there are LOADS of ways to play Lucario. My one true reccomendation: learn to keep a cool head in the fight. THAT is what's going to keep you alive at high %.

(maybe i'll make a topic in mindgames someday, if I ever manage the time...)

Nodrak

Smash Ace
My lucario is all over the place on the ground, mainly because I still have a problem doing tilts. If the opponent rolls, dsmash is pretty useless, utilt or turn>grab is usually my best bet. I try to keep my opponent directly above me though. utilt, usmash and uair all have deceptive range, and nair's for when they get too close or try to DI away. I generally keep a charged (large but not fully charged) as a mindgame. If my opponents don't see me flashing, they seem to forget how fully I've charged it.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I personally, like dash dancing with Lucario, he turns around quicker than most characters. And I like DIing back and forth in the air with either f-air or b-air. I also love attacking out of shield. His f-air and d-air is so quick out of shield its very useful. And I basically play aggressive when Lucario is 0-99%, then I play safe once he has 100% damage or more. And thats my playstyle with Lucario.

CSTIK

Smash Cadet
I usually play defensively the whole game, with occasional offense to throw them off. Spheres are my friends, even when I play Wolf. I just stun him first. It's about anticipating moves and spacing and smashing accordingly so they can't approach because of the huge hitbox in between you and them. :) I have trouble with Wolf once he gets in close, though. I usually get out of it with a side tilt or SH-Dair above his side-smash/down-smash. (Wolf's hitboxes for those attacks seem to be very close to the ground.) Sometimes he will mess up and I'll get off a Dtilt or Utilt. But basically smash for defense and tilt when that fails. And DON'T SPAM AURA SPHERES ON HIM.

Woops, that turned into Wolf advice. Oh well. It can be applied to many situations. :)

NOTE: This strategy sucks against Pit. He won't approach you, and instead make good use of his neutral B and down B. Lol

Milln

Smash Champion
So I was looking at a few videos i've recorded of my match play and sort of observing myself while i play.

I take it back.

My Lucario is the most mind-boggling Lucario anyone's ever faced. Every trap I lay, they run right into it or let me trap them even further. I love it.

Ulciroa

Smash Cadet
I play an airial (spelling por favor) Lucario. I almost never spend much time on the ground. I always start the match charging my aura sphere until they get close or if they launch a ranged attack. After that I try and get away so I can finish charging. Finally, I start attacking from the air, using some ground moves to shake it up a bit. I have a bad habit of spamming Dair tho ^^'

I usually do the following combo: USmash/UTilt -> Uair -> 2nd Jump -> Dair. Does decent amount of damage and works from 0%, but usually only works on people who suck >.> Plus, fast faller = Owned Lucario.

Does that help any?

PS: It's possible to use DT to recover. If they come to MS you, use counter when facing the edge and you'll get about a -1/2 Rise/Run recovery. Basically, you come in at about a 45 degree angle or so at the stage.

Milln

Smash Champion
whoa, so modest...
lol just teasing you XD though it COULD be true...
gonna be paying close attention to you in tourneys (partly because i'm too bad to participate XD)
Hey, I calls 'em as I sees 'em! I have one particular trap that everyone falls for. Every single time. And it usually KO's. XD

Ooh, speaking of tourney's, i've got one this Saturday... hmmm... *takes his gear*

Pentaoku

Smash Apprentice
My style focuses tons on grabbing and intercepting aerial approaches, with forward smash and Aura Sphere as killers, and charging down smash for roll-heavy enemies.

Kiro13

Smash Cadet
I think the type of Lucario player I am would be an All Around Player I will have to upload one of my videos when I get a chance because I use everything Lucario does. Though I think some people may say that I am an Aura style player because of the fact I always need to have a fully charged aura blast for those moments of up close combat people wont see an aura blast hit them in there face. lol

RBNuke

Smash Apprentice
shffl shffl shffl shffl shffl shffl tilt

Sing it!

I love lucario, but I haven't practiced with him as well as I have with pit. I'd say I'm a floater - I like to use his huge jumps and momentum-stopping down air to keep myself above or below enemies and land those combo starting kicks. When I have to stay on the ground I try to use lucario's deceptive range/priority and powerful, long-lasting forward tilts.

I'm way too clumsy with the sphere and I still need to practice sweet spotting the ledge, though.

sasukemaro

Smash Rookie
Thanks Guys/Girls lol, uhm after reading all of your posts i would say that my Lucario is an Arial, some what ground, combo Lucario. I would love to see some video's though. I'll upload mine soon enough plus i have a torny May 4th so i'll keep you guys/girls up to date. I was hoping to be one of the best Lucario players around seeing i'm not from America.

wtZzz

Smash Apprentice
I am strongly against camping, or playing in a purely defensive manner. In my opinion, if you are not constantly trying to win, you are a woman.

With Lucario, I begin by charging the sphere.

You can not simply attack from the air, especially when your opponent has a full shield. The trick with lucario is to work at the shield, and know your spacing. If you just run up to people and try to take them on up close, you SHOULD get punished. Lucario's smashes are too slow to play in a close proximity.

Dwindle their shield using your sphere, or with down tilts. Down Tilts give lucario a nice ranged attack. Opponent should block it, but you can't get grabbed. A charged sphere will knock their shield in half.

Once their shield is low, you can begin playing closer, and using your shield penetrating moves, such as your down air, and ground neutral combo. ALWAYS follow your hits with either a fair, or charge a smash. Some opponents like to get in the air to avoid a ground assault. Other opponents like to spring right back and attack you. Know your opponent. Lucario has GREAT range on his smash, and you can punish people before they try to shield or turn around. If you catch them in a FAIR, you can often follow this with either another FAIR, a dair, or a nair. Remember, once you use a Nair, you cant do any more arials, so Nairs should always come last.

If you short hop, fair, and connect a Uair, you can instantly use your second jump and hit them again in the air.

Once your mini-combo is complete, charge that sphere and start over. If you're on a roll, don't get cocky, because their shield is back up and if you attack you'll get punished.

That is my basic strategy. However, like I said, I hate playing defensively. I will often try to attack while breaking their shield down. Lucario is very good at taking a shot, and dodging. I rarely sidestep, since lucario is not a close ranged fighter.

I will mainly use his counter against characters with slow smashes, like Ike, bowser, ganon, etc. Against quicker characters, I will use his counter when an opponent tries to attack me from the air (while im grounded), or just the opposite. It is not always easy to use his counter, since some people prefer to grab rather than attack.

Lucario is a beast in the air. A lot of range and priority. Never let people attack you from the air. It is very easy to push them back with Fairs. DI back, then jump toward them again. Lucario's hangtime gives you a lot of time to fake an opponent out with your next move.

Anyway, do not run from your opponent spamming your aurasphere. You will give Lucario a bad name, and only embarass yourself. No one ENJOYS playing morons that run away the whole game firing projectiles. I dare someone to do that against me in a tournament, where I am only 2 feet away.

islyfe

Smash Rookie
Hey, I calls 'em as I sees 'em! I have one particular trap that everyone falls for. Every single time. And it usually KO's. XD

Ooh, speaking of tourney's, i've got one this Saturday... hmmm... *takes his gear*
if you don't mind me asking what trap is that?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Edge no Jutsu

My lucario is mainly edge based, as well as grab-happy and aerial them. Aura sphere is 2 predictable for me, and it only serves as a defense breaker in my opinion.
OM-NOM-NOM!:lick:
~Cookie Monster, who else?:psycho:

Tennisruler

Smash Rookie
I watch my opponent's style and then I adjust to kill it. Oh yeah, I have almost completely stopped using the down smash because the range really is just 1 iota too short. But I do bring it out when my opponent likes to roll a lot. But I do like to act like a wall sometimes cause no one sees it coming (run off the edge d/fair, jump, repeat, up b to the ledge). I also do a lot of what you guys call shffffling (or something like that), you know like right off the ground from a short jump and dair. When I play a lot of my friends online and I knock 2 live off of them from pure combos and dair under the ledge (knocks them up, they bounce off the top part of fd's corner and they tumble down). Then I start to switch it up when they change their strategy to counter combos, so I start a few chain side Bs and double team when they start to get out of it (its a killer to my friend who plays ganon). I also like to short jump over the opponent and do a back air.
edit: I also like to just grapple let them escape, roll behind grab, choke a bit more, and throw.

iruchii

Smash Apprentice
My Lucario is pretty mixed.

Usually, I start my battles by spamming Aura Sphere, forcing the opponent to shield/roll or approach in the air, all of which I've come up with a way to counter or approach. When I'm approaching, it's usually with two Fairs linked to a Dair. Early game, all I try to do is rack up some damage through Aura Sphere spamming and simple two or three hit combos [like the one mentioned above or the AAFP thing], and also a lot of throws.

When there's enough damage on both me and the opponent, I trot a lot forward and backward until I lure them into an Fsmash. I love its range and slowness- it's not strong, but it's not hard to hit with it either.

Also, I save the Double Team usage for late game, when I believe my opponent might have forgotten that it exists.

D. Disciple

Smash Master
My Lucario dances in the air. That's all you need to know.

Nah I love to be in the air with Lucario, I'm mainly aerial base, my ground game is getting better I just pull out a lot of set ups that string into aerial combos to carry the opponent to the other side of the stage of I need to. I can also mix it up as well, but you will definitely see my Lucario dancing around in the air mostly. Empty Hops into tilts or smashes is hot!

JJ259

Smash Apprentice
I definitely play an aerial lucario style. Almost all my approaches set up for some sort of aerial combo. utilts, throws, FP, anything that gets them off the ground.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
I am strongly against camping, or playing in a purely defensive manner. In my opinion, if you are not constantly trying to win, you are a woman.
Hey! As a person who's been CREAMED by a fine Ganondorf a few times, I take offense to that! D:

Anyways, I try to stay grounded at first to rack up damage with tilts and Force Palm, and once they get around 60%, I get aerial, then mixing it up between combos and attempted KO moves (grounded & air) once they reach 100%-130%.

Top Bottom