• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 the truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

RATED

Smash Lord
You stay in Puerto Rico and we will stay in America

BASED GOD!!!
I am posting just bcuz prolly at next year I am moving to USA, so that I am thinking about a "future mlg" circuit. Is USA not America.

@ rated - think what you want, all i was doing was telling the truth. I have no reason to lie anymore
I am not saying that you are lying... I am saying that just bcuz you are "famous" in the community most people are "defending" you because most people think they will get a profit.

===============

People stop lying you all know that without M2k you have a better placing chance.

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
The Stages of Grief

Shock and Denial

"WAIT WTF is this serious? Me and adhd did NOT split before the set at all. "
"YOU HAVE WRONG STORIES.

I DIDNT DO ANYTHING WRONG

ADHD DIDNT DO ANYTHING WRONG

THERE's NO REASON WE SHOULD BE BANNED YOU HAVE FALSE STORIES"

Pain and Guilt

"I hate myself a lot right now for what I did; I will just say the truth for the sake of reputation and clearing up the facts"
"I'm sorry for lying to everyone, I don't want to be known as a liar, I just wanted to win dallas and didn't know what else I could do. I hope everyone can forgive me. I'm sorry to MLG, Sundance, and to the fans and the community for the negative exposure we've brought. This will not happen again."

Anger and Bargaining

"the more i think about this the angrier i get :/

I didn't break any rules. There was no intentional forfeitting or set throwing at all. I'm just an emo idiot. ughhh"

Not intended to be a criticism or mocking at all. Mostly, I find it interesting. And it does at least lead me to believe that Mew2king is being genuine and this is how he perceives the event: This is not a cover up or a lie.

I'm inclined to believe his side over the official one. But really, all that most of us can do is speculate. This is pretty much down to MLG now.

Corpsecreate

Smash Lord
After meeting Jason in Melbourne I'm pretty confident that his original post is not a lie and that the events leading to this was as he said. As such, there is no doubt in my mind that Jason/ADHD did nothing wrong and there is no way they should be punished in any form whatsoever.

A large scale MLG event without 2 of the top players in the world is ridiculous no matter how you look at it.

btw jason I got one of our friendly matches recorded (MK Ditto), is it ok for me to post it up on youtube or do you want me to keep it for myself? :p

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Well, see here's the thing M2k is saying

He admits to saying he asked a split before the match

Both he and ADHD admit that ADHD pretty much said, we'll talk about it later. From M2k's perspective, this is an "Okay" since ADHD was honoring their TRADITION of splitting.

M2k may or may not have tired to his fullest potential at that moment. He has said different things regarding that. However, both he and ADHD DID say that ADHD encouraged M2k to play his best.

After ADHD defeated M2k (as was expected by all parties who know anything about the two players' history) he went on to defeat Rich Brown, then agreed to give M2k 300 dollars AFTER he won the tournament (this is not the same as a spilt)

Considering this, and considering that both players fully expected ADHD to advance if they met in tournament, I can see how M2k would never even consider the fact that what he was doing might be viewed as bracket manipulation.

zer0.

Smash Apprentice
'Everyone is innocent until PROVEN guilty.'

I just hope MLG has hard evidence (that m2k forfeited intentionally) to support their decision, because banning them without it is just wrong.

etecoon

Smash Hero
everyone is innocent until proven guilty IN A COURT OF LAW, the real world, public opinion, and most importantly here, corporations, don't work that way

that being said my sympathies to M2K, doesn't really seem like he did anything that wrong and this is his primary source of income and all, really unfortunate

zer0.

Smash Apprentice
everyone is innocent until proven guilty IN A COURT OF LAW, the real world, public opinion, and most importantly here, corporations, don't work that way

that being said my sympathies to M2K, doesn't really seem like he did anything that wrong and this is his primary source of income and all, really unfortunate
True, unfortunately. I belive MLG has all rights to ban m2k and ADHD, but it doesn't change the fact that would be wrong.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I didn't break any rules. There was no intentional forfeitting or set throwing at all. I'm just an emo idiot. ughhh
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised at all to find out that they're just using you as an example in order to show that they're serious about the rules. :/

Once again, good luck. This whole situation is absolutely ridiculous.

Morty

Smash Rookie
but dude like the more I think about it the dumber it kind of is

I didn't break any rules

he was just being nice after the tourney ended saying he'd give me some at a later point, and no money was even exchanged anyway. The set was real and no agreements were made to split nor forfeit. We just played normally. This is kind of unfair :/
I remember M2K being at Devastation 2009 in Arizona and a finals match never happened because him and DSF just decided to split the prize pot since they were buddies. This match was supposed to be on a live-stream but wasn't because they didn't want to play the finals match.

I'm sure there are plenty other situations (as ADHD has mentioned) where M2K and top players in general quite commonly split the prize pot and don't finish out a legitimate tournament.

This isn't exclusive to Smash Brothers, but I have recognized that it is very prevalent in this community and is something that I personally don't respect. Tournaments exist for the sole purpose of displaying who is 'THE BEST' player at the current moment. Prizes and money are incentives to get people to play. What happened to players wanting to be THE BEST, and working for a win?

With sponsorships and big money on the line, and the potential to bring publicity to Professional Gaming; It is my opinion that it is uncalled for and discredits a foundation that some of these companies are trying to build. People don't want to watch a casual match and a handshake with the agreement that so and so will split the pot. Imagine if this behavior existed in professional sports with millions of dollars on the line (something I would hope Professional Gaming can get to in the future). NBA 2009 anyone?

On the grand scale of things; sure, it's just Smash Brothers, and sure it's just a couple hundred/thousand dollars for a major. But it's an embarrassment to the reputation of sponsors, and does a huge disservice to the community.

I'll go so far as to say that this behavior is one of the many factors the Smash Brothers community has been splintering and fading for a while (these aren't the only two players that do this).

Have some pride and care about your win.

Legitimate question to M2K:

You said that MLG Dallas is the main event that you really cared about and really want to win. Do you care about it more now that this has happened than if it hadn't?

And do some legitimate soul searching here; If this didn't happen (yourself and ADHD weren't banned), and you were playing poorly at MLG Dallas and didn't have your favorite controller; Do you think that maybe, just possibly, you might have also split the pot in that event as well?

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Come on MLG... splitting money at a tournament is something you just won't understand. It's a Jersey thing.

ghaudephaede010

Smash Journeyman
Normally, I would be on the side of the players with the claim that MLG cannot actually prove any match fixing took place. However, once the players in question lie about their actions, they lose all integrity and credibility on thee issue. The benifit of the doubt, which should be shed upon them, now has to be revoked. Unfortunate.

I am sorry this happened. I am sad about how this will make these two players, the corporation, and the community feel but I believe the correct course of action has been taken. I hope I do not come off sounding like a jerk or anything. I really wish this did not happen.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Once MLG reverses the decision, M2K will be extremely confident, and beat everyone including ADHD and Rich Brown, and stuff.

And then he can go to College.

The end.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
instead of posting on here, why not spend your times doing something constructive like talking to JV or AZ

Sliq

Smash Master
I will always stand by my assertion that splitting is for tools and completely demolishes the notion of competition. Instead of splitting, why not just **** in the mouths of everyone else who was in the tournament?

I got a better idea: everyone splits. Everyone puts in 20$ for tournament entry, then everyone gets it back. That way, no one has to take any match seriously!

I take solace in the fact that 1.) you are banned from MLG Dallas and 2.) MLG will not pick up Brawl for another season.

Seriously, play to win, play to be the best, play for fun. Don't play for money you clowns. That's what a job is for. Goddammit.

Laem

Smash Champion
I will always stand by my assertion that splitting is for tools and completely demolishes the notion of competition. Instead of splitting, why not just **** in the mouths of everyone else who was in the tournament?

I got a better idea: everyone splits. Everyone puts in 20$ for tournament entry, then everyone gets it back. That way, no one has to take any match seriously!

I take solace in the fact that 1.) you are banned from MLG Dallas and 2.) MLG will not pick up Brawl for another season.

Seriously, play to win, play to be the best, play for fun. Don't play for money you clowns. That's what a job is for. Goddammit.
was it that hard sliq?

Cloud9157

Smash Journeyman
This is why you do this kind of thing in secret.

I feel they had no intention on fixing the bracket so that Rich Brown would go down more easily, but it still looks bad to MLG and just about everyone who was in that tourney.

In all honesty, it LOOKS like M2K+ADHD were just trying to get guaranteed money, like 300 each instead of 200/400 or something like that. Their history of splitting makes me believe that was NOT their intention though.

Either way, its MLG's call.

'V'

Smash Lord
Too much drama and deception going on in these MLG tourneys. I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped Brawl soon.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
This is why you do this kind of thing in secret.

I feel they had no intention on fixing the bracket so that Rich Brown would go down more easily, but it still looks bad to MLG and just about everyone who was in that tourney.

In all honesty, it LOOKS like M2K+ADHD were just trying to get guaranteed money, like 300 each instead of 200/400 or something like that. Their history of splitting makes me believe that was NOT their intention though.

I'm not going to share any opinions on the topic, but I'm not just going to watch as you demonstrate misinformation.

For winning First Place, ADHD was awarded $2,500
For winning Second Place, Rich Brown was awarded $1,500
For winning Third Place, Mew2King was awarded $1,000

Cloud9157

Smash Journeyman
Except that was not even what I was getting at.

Frankly, I don't care how much it is, I was throwing random numbers out there. No need to come in with such an elitist attitude.

like 300 each instead of 200/400 or something like that. Their history of splitting makes me believe that was NOT their intention though.

Albert.

Smash Master
Pierce Private mesg your opinion on this cause I'm frankly quite curious

I think their ban should be lifted and the two should play in open bracket :/

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I think their ban should be lifted and the two should play in open bracket :/

No they shouldn't.

Are people still not getting the idea that if rules are broken, either accidentally or intentionally, that there are in fact consequences that will be followed through with? This is just getting sad now.

You don't get to have everything forgiven by just saying "sorry". This isn't kindergarden; the world doesn't work like that. Nor does it matter if the rules are "stupid", "dumb", "illogical", "not what I'm used to" or w/e other label you want to give them. If a company doesn't follow through with the consequences for the rules, everybody who wants to break them is going to break them. I can't think of a single good reason for MLG to change their minds. Do you honestly think they care if a dozen or so smashers "boycott" them? Heck, they probably don't care if the entire smash community did in fact boycott them. Brawl isn't where they make their money. It's a nice little side bonus at best.

M2K and ADHD messed up, now everyone knows what not to do for Dallas/next year if Brawl is still in the circuit: don't split money, and don't even talk about splitting money if you want to be in the next MLG tournament. That's frankly all there is to it.

Albert.

Smash Master
Thank you for your contribution.

You and I obviously have different views/perceptions/opinions on this subject, and any further discussion would just devolve into squabble.

lord karn

Smash Master
Honestly, the contract that the players are agreeing to when entering MLG is really stupid. I'm not arguing that m2k and ADHD did not break any rules, but rather that the rules they broke are extremely stupid and unprofessional. Is it really in the contract to 'play to the best of your ability and not intentionally forfeit a match?' That is soooooo dumb. You can't just force someone to play to the best of their ability. What if someone in the top 8 just doesn't feel like playing anymore? They get to their match and are worn out so they give up, or obviously sandbag to lose. Do they not get their prize money anymore? What if they actually have a legit reason for not wanting to play? What if they got a call that their mom died? Of course that's an extreme example, but someone in that situation would still be 'intentionally' forfeiting a match. Of course the obvious answer people will give is that there is some kind of line where it's ok to drop out of a tournament. But the problem with saying that is it's impossible to say where the line is drawn. Sure, maybe dropping out of a tournament because your mom died is an obviously legit reason to not play. But what about more in between cases. What if you're sick? Tired? Who's to say that m2k's reasons for not wanting to play aren't legit?

I agree with just about everyone that it's gay as hell when players in a large national tournament decide to split or just don't play their best. I can even see why some people would lose respect for players who split or forfeit. It makes the tournament way less hype, and for MLG it draws a lot of the attention and sponsoring away. But the fact of the matter remains that the player is still the one holding the controller. If he decides to lose, that's his own decision. Any decision made by MLG after that to 'punish' him for his performance in a tournament just seems plain arbitrary and unprofessional.

The next thing many of you will say is that this is different because money is on the line. Even though ADHD never gave m2k any money in this situation (and this lack of money does make this situation different), let's just assume that he did. So ADHD gives m2k $300. So what? Can ADHD not choose to use his money how he pleases? Is it illegal for ADHD to give someone some money? ADHD beat m2k. Even if m2k forfeited or sandbagged, ADHD still won the match. ADHD should be able to do whatever he wants with his winnings, even if that means giving some of it to m2k. It might 'destroy' the competitive spirit, but he's still entitled to spend his money how he wants, and if MLG wants to punish him for doing what he wants with his money, that just seems stupid. Sure MLG can make whatever rules they want for who they allow into their tournaments, but barring ADHD and m2k is arbitrary and unprofessional.

The bottom line is that, yes, splitting and forfeiting are really anti-competitive and hype-killing and players should be encouraged not to do it and perhaps scorned when they do, but it's still they're decision to play to whatever ability they feel like playing to and to do whatever they want with their winnings.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Honestly, the contract that the players are agreeing to when entering MLG is really stupid. I'm not arguing that m2k and ADHD did not break any rules, but rather that the rules they broke are extremely stupid and unprofessional. Is it really in the contract to 'play to the best of your ability and not intentionally forfeit a match?' That is soooooo dumb. You can't just force someone to play to the best of their ability.
"Playing the best you can" Means "no intentionally losing".

Noraa

Smash Lord
After I read the op again, it seemed like m2k was just being greedy.
Just should have never brought it up, took 3rd place money and been happy with how he did.
If you didnt win, then you didnt deserve the extra money to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom