• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Turbo Ball, replacement for Smash Ball.

You want the Turbo Ball?

• Yes

Votes: 19 38.8%
  • No

Votes: 25 51.0%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 5 10.2%

• Total voters

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I've heard some fans complain about the fact that some characters cannot use Final Smashes like the Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon. However I've came up with an idea that can fix this issue and create a more awesome casual game.​
The Turbo Ball
The Turbo Ball replaces the Smash Ball entirely. It works similarly that it floats around the stage until someone breaks it. Once broken, the player will be given 25 seconds in Turbo Mode for that character only.​
This will have some pros and cons to casual play.​
Pros:
Will encourage casual players to learn combos to maximize the Turbo Ball potential.
Characters with bad final smashes will not suck in casual play.
PMBR won't have to create final smashes for each of the Pokemon.
Cons:
No Final Smashes in the game.
Characters who are known for good final smashes won't matter as much in casual play.
What do you think?

MVP

Smash Ace
i think cause theirs already a mode for turbo that this isn't necessary. plus i'd rather have the PMBR just balance the final smashes of everyone. that'd be awesome

Kerenthar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Radagast_DACC
I am agree with that. Final Smashes is the most stupid thing ever created in Standard Brawl, even for casual game.

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
I'm assuming that a Turbo granting item is already replacing the super spicy curry. Since modding tends to follow the pattern of "replace an object with another object", and we already know turbo mode is replacing curry mode, it's all but confirmed.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
FS's are a big part of Smash, and I'd be annoyed to see 'em go, as much as they don't seem to belong to the competitive scene. Why force casuals to use an item that demands them to learn ATs or other competitive mechanics and tactics to make best of it? This would alienate players that were used to love the FS's and might not be good enough to learn comboing Turbo-style, and truly divide the good from the bad, which again leads to another way of taking out the item. At the end we won't even see Turbo Ball coming in competitive scene so why we should force casuals to use it in place of more flashier and simple to use FS's?

Not to mention you're about to remove one of the best addition to SSB-series and a trademark gimmick of Brawl (as much as it might suck for some, and for some not.)

I just think FS'es need to be balanced if there's a way but until then, keep the Final Smashes in.

l3thargy

Smash Journeyman
Couldn't they change it so a character could charge a invisible meter or something and treat FS's like a ultra/super from street fighter, kind of how lucario's aura works, only on a much larger scale (I'm going to lean a little more on the ultra side here) like if you take enough damage to you're percent, say about 250% (or less depending on the weight of the character, higher weight needing more while light weights needing less) you get to perform a Final Smash with that character, preferably they should all be relatively balanced with each other.

I figure that in order to use one and still have it somewhat balanced would be for the only time you'd get to be able perform one is if you are also at a really high killing percent, that way even if you're at that percent you'd still feel like you have a good fighting chance, but I wouldn't want it to be a instant death move unless the other player was near 150% (or again depending on the character weight, less) that way you could lessen the damage gap by a fair margin so either player could win or lose.

and even if you are not the first character to be able to perform a final smash you would probably end up getting one yourself if you got hit by another on.

as for how one would activate it with out losing the ability to use you're normal b move, idk, I'd suggest B+A but that would effect lucario so I guess you'd just have to deal with it like in vanilla brawl.

and keep in mind that this would only be if you had the smash ball turned on with your other items, so tournament wise, none of this would probably matter and wouldn't effect the normal gameplay.

a vehicle

Smash Apprentice
How is this different from requesting new items/throphies/1P modes added to the game?
P:M isn't a party game.

Most of my joy from playing P:M is facing equally skilled opponents in a balanced, fair environment where skill is all that matters and winning is the objective. Not throwing pokeballs at each other and drop the controller to let the RNG do the job

Mithost

Smash Ace
Locked in a safe floating in the Atlantic Ocean.
People who play with items on are generally of the opposite crowd to those who could perform a marvel-esc combo and get a kill out of it. Combined with the lack of instruction, all we will get out of this is the technical support forum being spammed with "Smashball broken, all I do is glow" threads.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Weren't we the ones arguing that smash bros was not only a party game, but a competitive game as well? It makes it ironic to claim that pm is only a competitive game, the casuals have a place in the community to you know.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
People who play with items on are generally of the opposite crowd to those who could perform a marvel-esc combo and get a kill out of it. Combined with the lack of instruction, all we will get out of this is the technical support forum being spammed with "Smashball broken, all I do is glow" threads.
YOU SAID THAT TURBO MODE WAS GOING TO BE COOL! ALL IT DOES IS MAKE ME GLOW BLUE! I HATE BLUE! BLUE CAN`T EVEN PURPLE!

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
How is this different from requesting new items/throphies/1P modes added to the game?

Most of my joy from playing P:M is facing equally skilled opponents in a balanced, fair environment where skill is all that matters and winning is the objective. Not throwing pokeballs at each other and drop the controller to let the RNG do the job
Says who? Casual players can have their way in PM too.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

I don't wanna start this. You know your wrong. P:M can be played in a party system as much you could play Melee in a party system. That is what made Melee great and unlike other Fighting games. Stop being so rude and nasty.

However why do you think people downloaded Project: M? Probably fans like me who liked Melee more than Brawl, however like Brawl's character roster and look better. I look up this site each and everyday looking up info. So I don't think it is possible to be oblivious when you have Project: M.

a vehicle

Smash Apprentice
Rude and nasty? You're easily offended.
C'mon everyone, P:M isn't a party game and casuals (like most of us) play it like the pros play it: to win fair matches... right? Isn't that the whole reason P:M was created? To balance out competitive play and opening up possibilities for the game that pros play but without making the game so hard that no one else would even bother? I mean what else are we all doing here? If i were looking for a party game, brawl would be the better choice and no one would bother with balance, we would be discussing which silly gimmicks (like the one posted here) or characters to add to the game, more items too, and 100 more special modes?
If we were actually in need of things like these then I would curb my focus towards what's coming up new in the new smash game nintendo is developing.
Or are you the ones posting that the Subspace Emissary isn't working properly in the bugs forum?

BEES

Smash Lord
I actually like this idea a lot, for what it's worth. The final smashes would take a long time to integrate in any meaningful way. Some characters seem to have harmless ones, others don't have working ones at all, and yet others have really good ones that guarantee at least one stock loss for their opponent. Sorting that out is a lot of work. Just having it turn on turbo mode in the short term would immediately balance it more.

I would love if the final smashes could be integrated eventually but in the meantime... why not do this? Note that characters like Dedede and Peach can pull a smash ball randomly, like many other items. So this is potentially relevant to tourney play in some sense.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
C'mon everyone, P:M isn't a party game and casuals (like most of us) play it like the pros play it: to win fair matches... right? Isn't that the whole reason P:M was created? To balance out competitive play and opening up possibilities for the game that pros play but without making the game so hard that no one else would even bother? I mean what else are we all doing here? If i were looking for a party game, brawl would be the better choice and no one would bother with balance, we would be discussing which silly gimmicks (like the one posted here) or characters to add to the game, more items too, and 100 more special modes?
If we were actually in need of things like these then I would curb my focus towards what's coming up new in the new smash game nintendo is developing.
Or are you the ones posting that the Subspace Emissary isn't working properly in the bugs forum?
You are again, so far form the truth. You don't understand why people play with Items on. They do it because it creates Chaos and it is Fun. The reason that I don't just play brawl is because I find the controls to be off and to floaty for my liking. I like Project: M because it feels like Melee, and I loved Melee's chaos and fun with Items. Also no, I haven't been the one posting bugs about Subspace Emissary because I know that not all of the characters are released, making it unplayable. Just know that people don't only play Project: M to be "No Items, Fox Only, Final Destination."

Yurya

Smash Apprentice
I'm assuming that a Turbo granting item is already replacing the super spicy curry. Since modding tends to follow the pattern of "replace an object with another object", and we already know turbo mode is replacing curry mode, it's all but confirmed.
This is a very good point. One which basically negates the whole point of this thread.

a vehicle

Smash Apprentice
You are again, so far form the truth. You don't understand why people play with Items on. They do it because it creates Chaos and it is Fun. The reason that I don't just play brawl is because I find the controls to be off and to floaty for my liking. I like Project: M because it feels like Melee, and I loved Melee's chaos and fun with Items. Also no, I haven't been the one posting bugs about Subspace Emissary because I know that not all of the characters are released, making it unplayable. Just know that people don't only play Project: M to be "No Items, Fox Only, Final Destination."
We're obviously not playing the same game.
And you can't take a joke

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
We're obviously not playing the same game.
And you can't take a joke
Joke? The only Joke i'm seeing is that you think your way to play Project: M and anyway who plays it otherwise is playing it wrong. It's sad really, that you cannot comprehend someone's opinions and respect them.

Mithost

Smash Ace
Locked in a safe floating in the Atlantic Ocean.
However why do you think people downloaded Project: M? Probably fans like me who liked Melee more than Brawl, however like Brawl's character roster and look better. I look up this site each and everyday looking up info. So I don't think it is possible to be oblivious when you have Project: M.
My 8 year old niece likes P:M over Brawl, and plays it with her friends.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
A lot of my friends like final smashes, and I'm not gonna lie, when we're just messing around and having fun matches, they are really fun. Ness has one of the funniest final smashes, because it's a big chaotic mess and he's really good at safely getting it with PK thunder, so I'll just play Ness with that black shirt every match and get like 3-4 smashballs. It eventually becomes hilarious - it's hard to really explain, but if you played with us and saw how much people were laughing/screaming "NO DONT LET NESS GET IT AGAIN AHHHH", you'd know.

Final Smashes aren't balanced or anything like that, but they are pretty charming. I'd be sad to see them removed.

Now, if there was a way to make another one of the items a turbo item.... hmmm..... How about those useless gas balls? Have those ever done anything?

trojanpooh

Smash Lord

What a single sighted view. Tons of casual players dislike Brawl too because it's slow and boring. I have a large handful of friends who still play Melee because they hated Brawl but play with items on. Furthermore, some high level players just enjoy playing with items. Melee was a great casual game as well as a great competitive game. Brawl sucked on both fronts. Is it so hard to see why casuals would want to play PM?

Besides, the PMBR has confirmed that they plan on going back and fixing all the items and single player modes when they're done with the main game already so all your casual flaming is for naught.

yogurtgun1245

Smash Apprentice
Final Smashes are iconic to Brawl. They were one of the main pulls of the game during the pre-release. I'd rather see them tweaked so they all have about the same power. Whether that means buffing or debuffing certain smashes is fine. I think they should also account in the power of the Final Smashes how easy it is to get if for some characters. If certain characters have a very simple way of consistently getting the Smash Ball then maybe their Final Smash could be a little worse as a trade off.

meow

Smash Apprentice
When Brawl first came out I played a lot of Kirby and it made me mad how weak his Final Smash was without items..

Fortress

Smash Master

Stahp. Please.

The roommates and I all decided that, having done nothing but drill on techniques nonstop of the longest time, to simply go wild, hammer out an item pool, and go to town on some of the party stages like Big Blue. **** was the biggest blast I'd had in a while, and it was refreshing, to boot. Project M's balanced mechanics, availability of AT, and Brawl's laid-back and wacky/fun nature made it a more than enjoyable experience. Much laughter was had.

Final Smashes are iconic to Brawl. They were one of the main pulls of the game during the pre-release. I'd rather see them tweaked so they all have about the same power. Whether that means buffing or debuffing certain smashes is fine. I think they should also account in the power of the Final Smashes how easy it is to get if for some characters. If certain characters have a very simple way of consistently getting the Smash Ball then maybe their Final Smash could be a little worse as a trade off.
Like Peach? **** Peach's FS. It's no fun trying to outrace her to the orb as Link, only to have her whimsy about the stage and smack it, only to bat me off with a pan.

a vehicle

Smash Apprentice
What a single sighted view. Tons of casual players dislike Brawl too because it's slow and boring. I have a large handful of friends who still play Melee because they hated Brawl but play with items on. Furthermore, some high level players just enjoy playing with items. Melee was a great casual game as well as a great competitive game. Brawl sucked on both fronts. Is it so hard to see why casuals would want to play PM?

Besides, the PMBR has confirmed that they plan on going back and fixing all the items and single player modes when they're done with the main game already so all your casual flaming is for naught.

Brawl wasn't a failure as a party game, in fact it was an incredible success and nintendo made billions of dollars by selling copies, MOST of smashers around the world play brawl over melee over SM64.

It IS hard to see why casuals would play P:M as a party game. How do casual players hear from this game? Why stop playing brawl? You're already a deviation from the standard casual player posting in smash forums, most casuals wont even know there is such a thing.

The reason I'm playing P:M (and I think most people can relate) is because melee being melee (such a great game) was getting old and the viable character pool was very small. These characters were so above the rest of the roster that they earned the prefix "viable" whereas the rest are "unviable". P:M offers new characters, balance, improved mechanics, graphics and much more. But so did Brawl

See where I'm heading at? Having 2 very similar games, one designed/distrubuted by nintendo, everyone knows about, another one for those who really care about the principles of the game. Which one will the casual choose?

And seriously, how is this flaming? Can't anyone express their opinion at some forums? Can't my opinion be different from yours? I'm just trying to state my point as well as I can so we can agree to disagree (or agree) about the foundations of some issue

TL;DR: It's impossible you haven't heard about wave-dashing before knowing about P:M

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Brawl wasn't a failure as a party game, in fact it was an incredible success and nintendo made billions of dollars by selling copies, MOST of smashers around the world play brawl over melee over SM64.

It IS hard to see why casuals would play P:M as a party game. How do casual players hear from this game? Why stop playing brawl? You're already a deviation from the standard casual player posting in smash forums, most casuals wont even know there is such a thing.

The reason I'm playing P:M (and I think most people can relate) is because melee being melee (such a great game) was getting old and the viable character pool was very small. These characters were so above the rest of the roster that they earned the prefix "viable" whereas the rest are "unviable". P:M offers new characters, balance, improved mechanics, graphics and much more. But so did Brawl

See where I'm heading at? Having 2 very similar games, one designed/distrubuted by nintendo, everyone knows about, another one for those who really care about the principles of the game. Which one will the casual choose?

And seriously, how is this flaming? Can't anyone express their opinion at some forums? Can't my opinion be different from yours? I'm just trying to state my point as well as I can so we can agree to disagree (or agree) about the foundations of some issue

TL;DR: It's impossible you haven't heard about wave-dashing before knowing about P:M
actually, I never played melee. I only played brawl and I hated it as a party game and as a fighting game. I didn`t know about melee, wavedashing, l-canceling, or anything of the sort until AFTER I started playing Project M.

Fortress

Smash Master
actually, I never played melee. I only played brawl and I hated it as a party game and as a fighting game. I didn`t know about melee, wavedashing, l-canceling, or anything of the sort until AFTER I started playing Project M.
Yooooooooooooooooooou don't count.

Get back to your cellar and get my tea.
I mean, erm, I didn't really know of most of this stuff until I started playing P:M, either, and I played a lot of Melee growing up.

yogurtgun1245

Smash Apprentice
Like Peach? **** Peach's FS. It's no fun trying to outrace her to the orb as Link, only to have her whimsy about the stage and smack it, only to bat me off with a pan.
I think Peach's final Smash is decently balanced, being airborne or grabbing the ledge/wall while it's happening completely prevents the sleep and allows anyone who predicted Peach activating it to heal off the peaches. But Link is a good example, he has to put in a lot of work to not only get his Final Smash, but also to use it effectively.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord

First off sales doesn't equate to how fun a game is. Seriously, Sonic 06' was a platinum hit on 360. Also casual Smashers aren't inherently casual gamers. It's extremely common for casual Smashers to play PM. Sure, they may not be L-cancelling and wavedashing and all that good stuff, but it's still a faster game with a more balanced roster than Brawl. Project M is really well advertised on game news sites and youtube and among fans, casual or otherwise. Obviously the most casual of the casual aren't going to be playing Project M, but fans who don't take the game seriously competitively still can get tons out of Project M, especially now that it's going to have extra characters.

No matter which way you cut it you're being close minded and naive.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I'm sure there are players that would much prefer a new Turbo-item to the annoying spicy curry Item. I say replace it with Turbo Pills and call it a day.

a vehicle

Smash Apprentice
First off sales doesn't equate to how fun a game is. Seriously, Sonic 06' was a platinum hit on 360. Also casual Smashers aren't inherently casual gamers. It's extremely common for casual Smashers to play PM. Sure, they may not be L-cancelling and wavedashing and all that good stuff, but it's still a faster game with a more balanced roster than Brawl. Project M is really well advertised on game news sites and youtube and among fans, casual or otherwise. Obviously the most casual of the casual aren't going to be playing Project M, but fans who don't take the game seriously competitively still can get tons out of Project M, especially now that it's going to have extra characters.

No matter which way you cut it you're being close minded and naive.
Could you carefully read this post this time? Seems like you overlooked a lot of stuff just to call me names in the end

I wouldn't classify Brawl as a "good", rather as a success, yea thats the word I used last post.

Sonic 06 was god awful, never the less a huge success in sales and most of it comes from the fame of the franchise. And it's not a good analogy, Sonic 06 is far worse than Brawl and it's one of many many Sonic games.

Maybe we're not understanding each other because I really don't care how "successful" P:M is as long as it's a "good" game. So no fun allowed.

And let's get some things straight, it's not extremely common for casual smashers to play P:M, given the ratio of people who play casual brawl/melee/sm64 to people who play P:M It would be rather unusual for a casual player to play P:M, and before you get confused about things again what I mean is that they probably don't play it, not that they don't like it. Another thing is that P:M might be well advertised in your circles, not everyone browses for smash videos on youtube or twitch, not everyone is as interested as you or me.

And lastly, I haven't degraded anyone in this thread, you all have to calm down, so far I've been accused of flaming, being rude, naive and close minded? We're all big boys here, stop that nonsense. For me I'm ok for someone not agreeing with my ideas, I just want to know why

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
Could you carefully read this post this time? Seems like you overlooked a lot of stuff just to call me names in the end

I wouldn't classify Brawl as a "good", rather as a success, yea thats the word I used last post.

Sonic 06 was god awful, never the less a huge success in sales and most of it comes from the fame of the franchise. And it's not a good analogy, Sonic 06 is far worse than Brawl and it's one of many many Sonic games.

Maybe we're not understanding each other because I really don't care how "successful" P:M is as long as it's a "good" game. So no fun allowed.

And let's get some things straight, it's not extremely common for casual smashers to play P:M, given the ratio of people who play casual brawl/melee/sm64 to people who play P:M It would be rather unusual for a casual player to play P:M, and before you get confused about things again what I mean is that they probably don't play it, not that they don't like it. Another thing is that P:M might be well advertised in your circles, not everyone browses for smash videos on youtube or twitch, not everyone is as interested as you or me.

And lastly, I haven't degraded anyone in this thread, you all have to calm down, so far I've been accused of flaming, being rude, naive and close minded? We're all big boys here, stop that nonsense. For me I'm ok for someone not agreeing with my ideas, I just want to know why

Financial success isn't the only way to be successful, you know. I'm obviously referring how well the game performs it's job of entertaining as my gauge for success. And how is PM being good inversely proportionate to fun? That makes absolutely no sense. It may not be extremely common for casuals to play PM, but it's also not extremely common for the hardcore to play PM. Currently there are 65499 downloads of 2.6b. Do you actually think every single one of these people are hardcore tourney players? Obviously a large chunk of these people must be casuals. You're looking at it backwards, a small percent of all casuals actually play PM, but the same goes for the entire Smash fandom. If you look at just the PM players you'll find a much larger cut of casual Smashers.

And the reason why people are going for your throat is that you're essentially dismissing an entire group of people and telling them to shove off.

Top Bottom