• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The UK Thread: Latest News/Players/Tournaments [London monthly!] [Leicester monthly!]

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
Massive Christmas All Dayer!

GAME OVER
in association with
OTAKUZOKU
http://www.otakuzoku.com/
presents:

THE MASSIVE CHRISTMAS ALL DAY TOURNAMENT MARATHON!
(A must for any gamer)

The following tournaments will be in place!

FIFA 11 > Xbox 360
TEKKEN 6 > Xbox 360
MARIO KART DOUBLE DASH > Gamecube
GUITAR HERO > Xbox 360
SMASH BROS > Gamecube
SUPER STREET FIGHTER IV > Xbox 360
HALO: REACH 12 PLAYER DEATHMATCH!! > Xbox 360

Plus LOADS of FREE retro games to play around the venue!

* Please note consoles are our decision but enough demand may result in us switching!

TOURNAMENT INFORMATION:

* Registration for the all dayer is from 2pm in Buffalo Bar.
* You'll have an hour to register for the first tournament or purchase your all day pass for £6
* If you're interested in only one of the 7 games, it's only £2 to enter, just turn up before it starts to register!
* There'll be a big screen and small screen tournament running simultaneously!
* Each tournament will have it's own awesome prize!
* There will be a point system in place for those who want to try their hand at all games
* There is a GRAND PRIZE for the person who gets the most points at the end of the night!
* All arcade sticks are welcome
* There will be Sunday roasts available to buy from Buffalo to keep you going all day!
* +18 ONLY! (Sorry kids)

POINT SYSTEM:

1 points for taking part
6 points for 3rd place
8 points for 2nd place
10 points for 1st place

TIMES:

2.00PM - DOORS OPEN FOR REGISTRATION

3.00PM - TEKKEN 6 ON THE BIG SCREEN / FIFA 11 SIDE SCREENS

5.15PM - GUITAR HERO ON THE BIG SCREEN / MARIO KART SIDE SCREENS

7.30PM - HALO REACH 12 PLAYER DEATHMATCH ON ALL SCREENS!

9.45PM - SUPER STREET FIGHTER IV ON THE BIG SCREEN / SMASH BROS SIDE SCREENS

*Please note some tournaments may run on longer than planned depending on amount of people. And EVERY ONE will get a chance to play!

This is going to be one mad day with lots going on and some EPIC prizes. If you truly are Cardiff's best gamer then you'll own each one!

£2 ENTRY PER TOURNAMENT / £6 ALL DAY PASS / FREE TO WATCH

OTAKUZOKU
http://www.otakuzoku.com/
17 Salisbury Road
Cathays
Cardiff
CF24 4AA

BUFFALO BAR
11 WINDSOR PLACE
CARDIFF
CF10 3BY
http://www.twitter.com/buffalocardiff
http://www.myspace.com/wearebuffalobar
http://www.buffalocardiff.com/

B.Mack

Smash Ace
we need this kind of advertising or whatever to promote the UK smash scene.

I wonder how I would do in a tournament with melee scrubs considering I'm a melee noob myself...

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
There's no info on the money you can potentially win from it so im DEFINITELY not going, if it was good then I would try....any idea on how to find out and have an estimate.

Tamoo

Smash Master
I'm currently doubting it's actually money considering they're saying it's 'an amazing prize' and 'if you are truly cardiff's top gamer, you'll earn each one' suggesting it's a product at stake rather than any money.

Sucks really

At least you'll be god for a day if you do go

Oh wait, just realised you're pretty much smash god any tournament now :/

VA

Smash Hero
lol, I get that treatment on the daily. just practice with noobs it's fun.

I really want to go to that tournament to win MKDD, SSFIV and Smash.

Zengar

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I'm a smasher from the states studying abroad in London, and I've been craving some melee for a while. I'm staying in the city for christmas break, and i've just had a grueling term, so i'm looking for someone to smash with!

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Uh if you wanted to you could potentially come to mine now since 2 guys flaked lol >_>

SwizzyUK

Smash Journeyman
I work near there most fridays Zengar. I'm busy right now, and I'm off to India soon, but in late January we could get some games in to prepare for the tournament in Feb?

j3ly

Smash Champion
zengar we have smashfests all time time, some nearish there, text me my number is 07962223480

are you good? have you ever placed at a national tournament.

WaagOne

Smash Cadet
If your down in the village of Londonshire there is really only 2 crews worth training with OOC (South) and Tesco (North). So its probably worth checking out both so you can compare the differences in their styles. The UK style is pretty different from the rest of europe in the fact that we're not campy as hell. Im not saying they're not as good its just a different tactic. Who do you main? Its pretty much a spacie community with a few exceptional exceptions, (Shout out to the swizz repping the ganon massive community of 1). Hope you learn somethings over the course of your stay and hope to see you at SNY2.

WaagOne

Smash Cadet
Lol hmmmm C falcon.... seems a bit like a spacie to me, just without all that shiny bull****. I think his knee makes up 4 that though

Zengar

Smash Cadet
Hey j3ly, no I don't consider myself good (never been to a national, mostly local east coast tourneys back home), but I'm definitely not a noob-a. I've been playing melee competitively since 2007ish, so i'm not too behind..

And WaagOne, I'll be adding to the spacie community because I main fox. But i can play a handful of other characters as well..anyways, look forwarding to playing you guys! I'm always trying to find chances to improve.

Deathgazer

Smash Ace
Havnt on the boards for a while cos i havnt really been into smash as much recently due to uni work and ****. Can't wait for the next tournament and seeing what improvements have been made/ need to be done.

@Zengar: J3ly's told me about you so im looking forward to seeing you at future smashfests. :)

Jolteon

I just edited this a little and there's one thing that came to mind when doing so, we need more tournaments.

Tournaments, not monthlies!

It was honestly really depressing thinking of what to update in the title, all I could put in there were monthlies lol.

We used to have several tournaments per year (and most importantly in different regions), what happened? The only tournament series that currently runs is GT, which is in London. We need regional representation, what's happened up North? I think that we need 3-4 different tournament series in different regions of the UK in order to have active smash scenes all through-out the UK, and not just in specific areas.

Also I've been trying to think of ways to get smash at another competitive gaming event/circuit. I really think this would help bring more new players into the scene. It seems that most of the community didn't like the idea of being included with NeoEmpire due to housing issues, but I've come across this site called xleague (which already has a section for Brawl), who seem to offer large cash prizes and even have their own TV channel! Just think what this community would be like with huge events/cash prizes/new players/broadcasting. Maybe if we can prove to them that we're a large enough community with strong competition, something can happen.

VA

Smash Hero
I just edited this a little and there's one thing that came to mind when doing so, we need more tournaments.

Tournaments, not monthlies!

It was honestly really depressing thinking of what to update in the title, all I could put in there were monthlies lol.

We used to have several tournaments per year (and most importantly in different regions), what happened? The only tournament series that currently runs is GT, which is in London. We need regional representation, what's happened up North? I think that we need 3-4 different tournament series in different regions of the UK in order to have active smash scenes all through-out the UK, and not just in specific areas.

Also I've been trying to think of ways to get smash at another competitive gaming event/circuit. I really think this would help bring more new players into the scene. It seems that most of the community didn't like the idea of being included with NeoEmpire due to housing issues, but I've come across this site called xleague (which already has a section for Brawl), who seem to offer large cash prizes and even have their own TV channel! Just think what this community would be like with huge events/cash prizes/new players/broadcasting. Maybe if we can prove to them that we're a large enough community with strong competition, something can happen.
I can tell you what happened...but I won't. And btw I'm never coming to a UK event ever again, or probably hosting a fest.

Jolteon

I linked to that one because GP told me he already had a group where he would announce when events are coming up lol, but maybe we could have one just for the monthlies.

/e Robby I think the smash community in general has some really bad ways of looking at things, it's just stuff you have to try and improve.

Kasper!

Smash Lord
LOOOOOOOOL xleague tv i remember watching that on sky when they actually had a channel (its gone now but watever), they showed competitions involving games like fifa, gears of war, fight night round 3, forza, virtua fighter, tekken (I think). halo, brawl, mario kart (this is actually how i recognised a brawler called P3 cause he was a contestant on tv for mario kart wii xD).

Anywayz last i checked, they played ffa with items on

but i dont know how it is now, so.....

P.S i also remember watching players like lethal (halo player) **** on tv and have heard things about Chrissy B (a fifa player) but the one main thing i think of when someone mentions Xleague is the commentators and one of them had a favourate word..... oh yeah it was "UNBELIEVABLE" every time something good happened like someone getting sticked with a plasma grenade from across the map in halo lol

Jolteon

I reckon that even if that were still the case then you could get the rule set changed after destroying everyone. xD

L-J

Smash Ace
I can tell you what happened...but I won't. And btw I'm never coming to a UK event ever again, or probably hosting a fest.
I'm entirely with Prof on this one, this has been going on for ages now - stop posting that you're never coming back and all this crap. If you're actually leaving the community stop clogging up our threads with posts declaring you're done with it, otherwise quit this ridiculous negativity.

As for the state of the community and tournaments I can't do much to help with creating/hosting new tournaments but I will make an effort to get to anything that's being put on until early October at least.

And yeah some kind of backing from a group like xleague would be ideal, though I'm not sure how realistic it is.

Jolteon

L-J: I can understand that a lot of people will either have insufficient funds or simply no time to host an event, I just want at least 1 person from several regions to start hosting stuff.

Probably not very realistic considering they seem to mainly host CS:S tournaments now, but they have previously hosted smash before (albeit at a casual level), so maybe. >_>

Top Bottom