• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ultimate Smash Bros. 4 Character Analysis Topic. (Retro Characters Analysis Is Up!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The Kirby series analysis is now up. I hope those who liked my previous analyses enjoy reading it.

As I said last week, I am going to put up a new series analysis each week for now on (or at least for the next several weeks).

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
MOAR CHRONO ESSAYS?!?!

My prayers have been answered!

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I guess no one was interested in the Kirby series. Even the Yoshi series analysis managed to garner more interest.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I guess no one was interested in the Kirby series. Even the Yoshi series analysis managed to garner more interest.
I found it to be a very good read. Although, I was wondering, why not mention Dark Matter in the non-contender section?

Very good read, though. It covered nearly everything that needs to be said.

bobadz

Smash Ace
Good analysis, Chrono.

I also want to correct you on something you put in the bowser JR part of the Mario analysis. Bowser JR was not in New super Mario bros 2.

@tomic

Smash Apprentice
Was kind of weird how they had the Marx boss fight theme in Brawl and yet he never showed up during Subspace. The Tabuu fight clearly took some inspiration from the Marx fight in Superstar though.

Hope Marx shows up in Smash 4's Adventure mode.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
In other kirby characters, can you throw in "Daroach"? I'm just interested in seeing what you have to think about him, especially since he's one of the few reoccurring Kirby Characters that isn't the big three
He only had a major role in two games, and barely anyone asks for him. He is trophy/sticker material at best.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
He only had a major role in two games, and barely anyone asks for him. He is trophy/sticker material at best.
You could still go for writing a small section if you want/are able to, I figured it doesn't hurt to ask. Also I don't think it's quite fair to say that when...

Knuckle Joe only made one playable appearence and was a generic enemy. Discluding the cameo, Galacta Knight only made one. Adeline, Marx (Yeah, okay, the remake, but still), Prince Fluff, and Gooey (Though two, as you said) All only basically had one appearance. To top that off, asides from being a generic enemy, Waddle Dee only made two important appearances. The only character I've seen people talk about for the series is Waddle Dee to a small extent and MAYBE Prince Fluff. To top that off, Daroach's appearences (Granted I haven't played Mass Attack but I've played just about every other Kirby game) are like Meta-Knight and King Dedede - It doesn't stay the same or flat at all.

I'm not saying he has any shot in hell (Nor do I think any other Kirby characters do at this point asides from MK/D3), but isn't this a little hypocritical?

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
Interesting. Your thought on the Kirby Series are pretty much spot on in my opinion. Waddle Dee is definitely one of those low-priority selections saved for if they have the time to add him in period.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
You could still go for writing a small section if you want/are able to, I figured it doesn't hurt to ask. Also I don't think it's quite fair to say that when...
I will get around to giving Daroach a non-contender entry when I get the chance. However, I think you are vastly overrating this character's prospects.

Knuckle Joe only made one playable appearence and was a generic enemy.
Sakurai could very well have had a personal attachment to Knuckle Joe. He afterall did direct Kirby Superstar (it was actually the last Kirby platformer that he ever directed).

By comparison, Sakurai is probably unaware of who Daroach even is, or at best simply thinks he is a one-off Kirby character that was made when he was no longer involved with the series.

Discluding the cameo, Galacta Knight only made one.
Galacta Knight's role in Return to Dream Land was the same as it was in Superstar Ultra, namely a boss fight. It was not a cameo.

Adeline, Marx (Yeah, okay, the remake, but still), Prince Fluff, and Gooey (Though two, as you said) All only basically had one appearance.
Yeah, and all of those characters (except Marx) are going to be trophy/sticker material at best, just like Daroach. Marx is an exception due to Superstar Ultra, and the fact that Superstar is by far the most popular Kirby game, and one of the few that Sakurai has personally directed. Marx at best would be a boss fight.

To top that off, asides from being a generic enemy, Waddle Dee only made two important appearances.
Those two important appearances were in the last two major home console Kirby platformer made by HAL. I say that is a pretty big deal. An even bigger deal when he is being promoted alongside series mainstays such as Meta Knight and King Dedede, and how Sakurai himself is personally aware of the 20th-anniversary promotional materials showing Bandanna Dee alongside them.

The only character I've seen people talk about for the series is Waddle Dee to a small extent and MAYBE Prince Fluff.
As I said, the small demand for a Kirby newcomer is part of the reason why I see Sakurai simply sticking with Brawl's Kirby characters.

To top that off, Daroach's appearences (Granted I haven't played Mass Attack but I've played just about every other Kirby game) are like Meta-Knight and King Dedede - It doesn't stay the same or flat at all.
That really means nothing.

I'm not saying he has any shot in hell (Nor do I think any other Kirby characters do at this point asides from MK/D3), but isn't this a little hypocritical?
I don't think there is a single person on this site that is a serious (intelligent) speculator that does not doubt that Waddle Dee (Bandanna) would be next in line if the Kirby series were to get a newcomer in Smash 4, and that no one comes close to him in terms of priority for that hypothetical Kirby newcomer spot. The character even has a prototype moveset for Smash Bros. already laid out in his Return to Dream Land appearance, and obviously already brings something that has yet to be seen in Smash Bros. (spear wielder).

He actually does come up for requests both in Japan and in the West (albeit not often), which is more than could be said for Daroach (probably only has a handful of supporters).

If you don't like what I have to say on Daroach, you certainly won't like what I will be saying on the Mother series. :laugh:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Did you just quote my post with nothing?
I hit submit accidentally before I responded to it. Personally, I think this Daroach debate is silly. He is basically on the same field as the other Kirby non-contenders except Marx. He is more likely to get a sticker of him than probably Adeline, Gooey, and the Kirby animal pals though since recent artwork exists of him though.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I hit submit accidentally before I responded to it. Personally, I think this Daroach debate is silly. He is basically on the same field as the other Kirby non-contenders except Marx. He is more likely to get a sticker of him than probably Adeline, Gooey, and the Kirby animal pals though since recent artwork exists of him though.
Can you at least throw him somewhere in the Other Kirby Characters even if you staple him with the Kirby Animal Pets?

I don't think that's that hard. y;

edit: Oh, you said you would. Alright. I've got nothing else to say then, thanks!

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
edit: Oh, you said you would. Alright. I've got nothing else to say then, thanks!
He will get his own entry (I went back and made a King Boo entry when someone requested it) when I have the time. Sorry if I sounded coarse. In general, I am kind of doubtful in general about most characters showing up as trophies (unless they have a model to rip from a recently released game) due to how lazy Brawl's trophy selection was and how many of them were simply model rips from GameCube and Wii games.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
He will get his own entry (I went back and made a King Boo entry when someone requested it) when I have the time. Sorry if I sounded coarse. In general, I am kind of doubtful in general about most characters showing up as trophies (unless they have a model to rip from a recently released game) due to how lazy Brawl's trophy selection was and how many of them were simply model rips from GameCube and Wii games.
Thanks!

Oh that's very true. Honestly, they were lazy with bosses as well and with someone else. I expect a Sticker and if not, an assist trophy out of Daroach and Marx as a boss (Since Marx is more villainous); those are just my random guesses.

Also if your opinion on the Mother series is basically "Lucas, Ness, nobody else" I'll pretty much mostly agree.

JhMS

Smash Journeyman
Great analysis Chrono! Brings back the memories from the pre-Brawl days (which i think were A LOT more hype than current pre-Smash 4).
I think the Brawl Kirby characters are ok. We really dont need a 4th dreamland character.
Anyhow, cant wait for the Star Fox part. I dont think Krystal fans are nearly as loud as they were in pre Brawl. And I have seen some peope say Falco is probably leaving (not gonna happen).

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
I... actually don't think I would MIND Bandana Dee as a character. I hope he gets added in if Sakurai has the time. Yeah, the Star Fox and Fire Emblem ones are going to be the controversial analysis, that's for sure.

D

Deleted member

Well, that was certainly an interesting read, nice job man.

Looking forward to reading the rest.

Hopefully this will clear up a lot of things in other threads.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
The kirby analysis was pretty darn fine, couldn't have said it better myself.

Also, I saw your posts on the Ridley support thread, are you going to edit your metroid analysis due to the new stage revelation?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Chrono, will you post a new analysis this weekend?
Not looking likely. I will definitely have one ready for this coming week. It was the whole drama with the Pyrosphere update that threw things off.

The plan is still to post a new series analysis for the next several weeks. It was pretty much the Ridley drama that made me not the time necessary to getting another analysis out.

Thanks to all of those that have been patient.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I do have one very minor and tiny thing to point out; since Yarn Yoshi is a thing, there is a small possibility of Prince Fluff appearing again, since Yarn Kirby was going to be it's own series at one point, and Prince Fluff may be turned into an original character of the "Yarn" games. It's unlikely, but it's possible. Not sure if anything about it needs to be included in the bit about him in your analysis, but, if you find it interesting enough to point out, feel free.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Next week I am planning on posting a new series analysis, as well as updated analyses for Toad and Ridley (assuming Ridley is not deconfirmed by then).

Thanks to all of those that have been patient. I truly mean that.

stan423321

Smash Journeyman
Don't forget to switch the Peach from "practically there" to "actually confirmed". Just a minor thing, but let's get it out the way while it's fresh.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Quick question Chrono, unless you've addressed this already, but do you feel like the fact that every Mario Series character from Brawl has been revealed increases the chances for another character announcement for it?

kidwitdaface

Smash Cadet
I noticed a minor detail with Toad and I'd like to know your opinion on it. It seems like he's coming back as Peach's neutral b, but like usual he's the red toad. If Toad were a playable character, I'd actually assume his default color to be blue considering this is the most common toad the player uses in non-spinoff games such as Super Mario Bros. 2 & Super Mario 3D World. Do you think perhaps they could leave red toad as Peach's counter & an alternative costume for blue toad? I'd also like to note how insanely retro, as in Super Mario Bros. 2 retro, Peach looks in her SSB4 artwork. In my opinion, Toad showing up as Peach's counter wouldn't mess up his chances all too much, however I'd love to hear your opinion on the matter.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I think you should add Bubbles from Clu Clu Land to the list of retro characters. Clu Clu Land is rather well known for a one-shot NES game due to its ports in Animal Crossing and the Wii Virtual Console (Balloon Fight is the only one that I usually see getting more attention, alongside Ice Climber. Excitebike gets more than both of them but it's not a one-shot). Bubbles also appeared as a playable character in DK: King of Swing). Clu Clu Land has gotten its fair share of references in Smash Bros. too, with the music and the Urina item. Sakurai did ignore Bubbles back in Melee for not being a fighter, but we all know how credible that reason is now due to Villager and Wii Fit Trainer. It also shows that she's on his radar too. She's also international, which only helps her out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom