• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unhappy Thread

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I feel like I go through life in two different modes. An auto-pilot and a genuine mode. In one, I'm completely unaware of what's happening around me or what I'm feeling or thinking about it. In the other, I completely give myself over to the moment and actually experience the world around me.

I just wish I could pick. Automaton or full conscious human being. Instead, I exist in an incessant state of flux. My mindless droning life is interrupted by occasional moments of shocking clarity, which only serve to contrast the injustice of it all.

What injustice am I referring to, you may ask. The injustice that I have to pick. The injustice that some cruel twist of fate has turned the very gift of our human existence into another quantifiable commodity to be bargained with. Your entire life has been nothing but the result of people manipulating you to do things that may or may not indirectly benefit them.

You trade away hours, days, weeks, years, even decades of your very existence that you'll never get back, all because you think that it means that at some point you'll truly live the way you want to. Every second you spend in a place you don't want to be, doing something you don't want to do, is another second you'll never ever get back. Another second you've spent on auto-pilot, when you could have been genuinely experiencing something. Anything. It really doesn't matter what.

Society has blinded us. Throwing around flashy, and ultimately meaningless words and concepts like "Investment in one's future" and "Self Discipline" in order to keep some kind of sick choke hold on our freedom. We don't live our lives anymore, we fritter them away because someone else has told us that it'll pay off in the future.

I want you to hear me as clearly as possible on this. **** all that ****. Don't be turned into another cog in the machine. Life should be a never ending moment, a barrage of sheer sensory delight, a quest to fully live each and every single second we're blessed with. Instead, we have this. Whatever it is.

I apologize for the slight rant, this whole idea has just been weighing heavily on my mind as of late.
I share a very similar philosophy, only more apathy.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
I feel bad at all the expenses my aunt has to incur at my cousins and I expense, for some reason the garage light can never seem to be off, we use too much electricity, water and last night I spent almost 20 minutes on an international call. I kinda wish we could just do everything right so she would be complaining so often.

In some good news though my tuition has been covered, I registered for classes and I can retain my housing assignment. There are some problems with the classes I need to take but I'll just have to get back to that on Monday.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
You know what would make you feel better Merkuri?

Trolling on Smashboards some more.

Kira-

Smash Champion
Hey

I'm feeling pretty down in the dumps. relationship woes.

but since this is not the first time I have been in this situation I thought I'd share some of my tips on becoming happy again

Firstly i'm a pretty devoted christian, this has helped me more than anything and in everything, but I realize not everyone will be open to this sort of thing, so here's the more accessible list:

1. best thing to do is to not think about her... this can be done in the following ways
(a) keep yourself busy by staying active. do things that require physical movement or a high amount of concentration (like melee)
(b) stay around friends. some people think this is simply delaying the inevitable. This is not true. Believe it or not, there will come a time when she's only a distant memory, someone who you remember but are not attached to anymore, and there will be another person who is better that will make you forget all about the old her because the new her is so much cooler. that time is NOT extended by doing things that take your mind off her. so hang out with friends as much as possible, do stupid things (NOT like getting shtfaced drunk or having a one night stand) but things like being silly, having fun and wasting time

2. Accomplish some goals! You now have tons of free time that you don't have to dedicate to your significant other. Do more homework, take this time to do well in school. Go work on that hobby that you've neglected for awhile. Pick up a new one! There are plenty of things... mountain climbing, hiking, hip hop dancing, learn tech skill, even something as simple as going to the beach once or twice a week, although I recommend something where you can see improvement. Do this with friends if possible

3. Work out. Lift weights, go do it with someone who can teach you and who knows the ropes. Going outside once a day, seeing the sun and fresh air, and doing something physically active (even just walking around town) is proven to drastically improve general mood and energy levels. It's not cliche, it really helps. And you don't have to feel bad if you don't go outside for a day, just know that it will be cool if you do. (btw when you work out, make sure to EAT and SLEEP as much as possible!)

4. Delete all evidence of her. This can be tough, especially if you still care about her, but all emails, all gifts, presents, photos, get rid of them. I had the idea that I would "get it all out of my system" and then move on. That was a bad idea. Throw them away, don't look at them again. Otherwise you're thinking more about her and not looking for something or someone better. Anyone seen (500) Days of Summer? He could've found the better girl way earlier... he just wasn't looking =P

5. try to wear yourself out so you can fall asleep right away. night time is always a bad trip down memory lane (or any time you're tired really). Stay up late with some friends, crash and fall asleep and get up early to hang out with them again. DO NOT do this irresponsibly, if you're lazy and don't work, if you start drinking a ton or doing drugs or being unnecessarily mean to people you will eventually feel like a worse person.. and all you will remember is that life was better before that. You should aim to make your FUTURE life better than your PAST life. And this will help a lot.

6. No matter what, always remember that this thing takes a lot of TIME to go away. It's a chemical thing too... your chemical memories of her will take time to fade, since relationships are like kinda like drugs in a way... like the more you're away from them the easier it gets to quit kinda. so if you still feel down after all this, you're not doing anything wrong... it's just hard, you gotta tough it out for awhile.

7. Meet new people if possible, try to be outgoing. If you're not usually like this you might be a little more sad than others... but still hang out with your friends a lot, or if you don't have any, then your family, or if you hate your family, well then it's probably time to start meeting new people. learning to be sociable can be a hard thing to do, especially cause it is unpredictable and can hurt your confidence sometimes.. but i cannot tell you how much it will boost your self-esteem when you start to be more outgoing. You don't have to hit on every girl you see... in fact you should talk to all of them as if they were very ugly and you only want to be friends and nothing more. pretend they're like your cousin or something, someone who is cool but that you have no interest in dating, and ask a lot of questions keep the conversation about them more, people love talking about themselves

KK.... well im going to a tourney.. but hope this helped someone. sorry for it being so long lol

edit - yea and if anyone wants to add anything please do

edit 2 - oh yea take a lot of showers. Most people get sad then dont wash their hands or take showers or brush or floss, feeling clean or looking good (buying nice clotheS) can make you feel better as well. I realize also a lot of gamers don't do hygiene much, taking a shower every day no matter what is cool, showers are nice man.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
If you wanna talk about relationship woes for a moment

The love of my life is.... really far away

Not an insurmountable distance by any means, but I'm a worthless teenager with no money, no car, and no friends

She might as well be in China

What's the most infuriating thing about all of this is the fact that I'm powerless to change my situation, I sit and watch helplessly as the cruel fingers of time strangulate the affection this this literally perfect girl feels for me, and vice versa

I keep telling myself it'll work out, but in the back of my mind... :|

Kanelol

Smash Lord
Kanelol's post described how I feel in school :/.
it's the public education system that actually got me thinking on this whole idea, then i just expanded the basic concept to encompass the ideas of social responsibility, a 9 to 5 workday, and the like

BSP

Smash Legend
I usually moan about being young and such, but it's soo annoying to be affecting by things you have no control over. I know I haven't really seen the adult world yet, but being young sucks pretty bad at times.

KingJiggyWiggy

Smash Lord
Kanelol's post described how I feel in school :/.
Hey no one blames you. We go to school for 12 years, 261 days a year, Monday through Friday, for a 8 hours day, doing exactly the same thing. Learning useless concepts, asked to do the same ridiculous things over and over again. Forced to be around immature teachers and socially illiterate children. Doing difficult tasks for no pay at all. Being a kid truly is miserable.

@Merkuri: I'm bummed out too. My opportunity to enter any University is permanently gone for life. All because I failed just one class.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Hey no one blames you. We go to school for 12 years, 261 days a year, Monday through Friday, for a 8 hours day, doing exactly the same thing. Learning useless concepts, asked to do the same ridiculous things over and over again. Forced to be around immature teachers and socially illiterate children. Doing difficult tasks for no pay at all. Being a kid truly is miserable.

@Merkuri: I'm bummed out too. My opportunity to enter any University is permanently gone for life. All because I failed just one class.
Wait until you have to get a job. Even if you enjoy your work, it's basically a grind to make money until you are nearly dead.

Merkuri

Smash Lord

For life? That can't be right, you just need to figure out what your options are.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
kanelol that was a pretty epic post.

I feel the same way sometimes.

It's frustrating that your born into this world virtually a robot and even worse that you pretty much need money to survive.

There is no choice.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
Attempted to do 2 essays in 2 days. Due tomorrow.

Analysing how media articles portray doctors is slowly killing me. Neither essay is completed but I'm still playing videogames.

Funny you guys are talking about pointless work. You can pick up useful and generalisable skills from most tasks if you want to. But they still suck. College will give you plenty of useless tasks too so you may as well get used to it =/

Smash Master
I've got a headache. I haven't had one in a while, so this one feels worse than it prolly would if it was in the middle of a bad year. I imagine this is how that guy from Click felt.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
I think I might have worms. I'm having a very hard time satiating my hunger.

RATED

Smash Lord
I usually moan about being young and such, but it's soo annoying to be affecting by things you have no control over. I know I haven't really seen the adult world yet, but being young sucks pretty bad at times.
being adult sucks. Is when you notice that you are born to be a slave. Unless you find something that you can work, get paid and REALLY enjoy it and have fun.

kanelol that was a pretty epic post.

I feel the same way sometimes.

It's frustrating that your born into this world virtually a robot and even worse that you pretty much need money to survive.

There is no choice.
yeah, Money is a "conservative" way to say slavery these days.

==================

these days my life been getting boring and more boring. I want to do something "new" but with no car... is like kinda "hard" to do something without it.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
On the work/job/school stuff... I sympathize...

This is one of my favorite quotes regarding the subject:

"The reality of the society that we're in is that there are thousands and thousands of people out there... in quiet screaming desperation, working long hard hours at jobs they hate to enable themselves to buy things they dont need... in order to impress people they dont like."
-Nigel Marsh

BEES

Smash Lord
Graduated from school with bad grades, never established any connections to the faculty. I couldn't go to grad school.

Still can't find a job and I've been out since May.

I majored in Biochemistry. I do volunteer work at the Botanical Gardens to bide my time. I'm going to pick up some research they have lying around and see if I can find anything worth publishing, because I really want to continue my education at some point.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
I am upset because I can not bring my self to play Superman 64.

My friend wishes to play superman 64 and has gotten all the way to the Dam level. He says it is a "So bad it is good" game and watching protonjonsa lets play I have to agree it is funny how many and a lot of the stupid glitches you can do that wreak the game. There is also creepy glitches like the lady with the respawning babies. However I am slightly upset as funny as the game may be I do not have the mental endurance to play though the rye (Ring) stages.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I'm annoyed that Dragoon Fighter's custom title is "Free INSANE CRAZY GUY!!!" and not "Free INSANE CARZY GUY!!!"

There are fourteen minutes until my break is over, and I’m perturbed. My stomach is in knots.

So many situations in life, we don’t stop to look at. Like when you’re in an argument, it isn’t like TV. You can’t always sit down and talk, hash it out, scream or hug or confess or lie. Sometimes you have to return overdue movies and buy salad dressing while they eat breakfast or run errands. You’re watching a movie and maybe you’ll talk later.

Life gets in the way of solutions. Whether violent or ponderous, you’re checking the date on the milk, but you’re wondering why you always try to mess things up when they get good. Going to work when a relative has passed away. Cleaning the kitchen when you haven’t gotten your marks back yet. You never think about menial tasks until something much bigger is inside and around them all, overshadowing. Are we going to make the rent? Why do I take advantage of my friends? How could she not remember what she did? That will be $5.94, drive through please.

I really hate feeling helpless about certain situations.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
I'm upset that I got in and out of college in 3 years. I felt like I've matured a lot in college but it's a 4 year program for a reason, I feel like I need another year to fully mature and learn more about myself, other people and life.

I'm also annoyed at a lot of the dumb courses I took and how I didn't take enough courses related to the career path I'd like to pursue. A little while after I came into a college I picked up a second major, then I dropped the second major and picked up a minor, and then I added a concentration to my major. And because of this I ended up taking a lot of classes I didn't need and not enough classes that I'd like to learn from. It's all pretty unfortunate, I was looking at my school's course catalog and there are so many classes I wish I had taken, it's things like this why life sucks sometimes.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
I'm annoyed that Dragoon Fighter's custom title is "Free INSANE CRAZY GUY!!!" and not "Free INSANE CARZY GUY!!!"

There are fourteen minutes until my break is over, and I’m perturbed. My stomach is in knots.

So many situations in life, we don’t stop to look at. Like when you’re in an argument, it isn’t like TV. You can’t always sit down and talk, hash it out, scream or hug or confess or lie. Sometimes you have to return overdue movies and buy salad dressing while they eat breakfast or run errands. You’re watching a movie and maybe you’ll talk later.

Life gets in the way of solutions. Whether violent or ponderous, you’re checking the date on the milk, but you’re wondering why you always try to mess things up when they get good. Going to work when a relative has passed away. Cleaning the kitchen when you haven’t gotten your marks back yet. You never think about menial tasks until something much bigger is inside and around them all, overshadowing. Are we going to make the rent? Why do I take advantage of my friends? How could she not remember what she did? That will be $5.94, drive through please.

I really hate feeling helpless about certain situations.
Control what you can... don't bother with what you can't. :-/

I can sympathize... heck.. probably half the people on these boards can as well. Life starts changing as you get older I guess.

Though I'm terrible at offering advice... this is one of my favorite quotes. Hopefully you can get something from it:

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Hope you feel better soon, Lythium :(

Life is complicated, but you can get through it! ^_^ You got this!~

Kurt, you have nice quotes.

Well...I have my precalc midterm tomorrow. Im freaking out. I know the stuff...but its not coming back to me because im freaking out. I wasnt stressing earlier...but i just started panicking xD;
25 question, 50 point multiple choice math test. I can only miss about 4 questions (9 points?) to get a B in the class. Im LITERALLY .25 points away from rounding my grade up to a B...If I get a B, I get all A's and B's...which would be nice.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
I'm worried that I may not get back my lab job for my final semester. Classes start next week and my boss still hasn't contacted me. I've done some questionable things as the lab assistant this last semester but I'm not sure she is aware of them. I also have to compete with the danm student representative of our department for my job, and even if I do get my job back I'm worried that my hours may be limited. I just e-mailed my boss so we'll see what happens *deep sigh*

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I'm looking at homelessness in the next few days. What do the lot of you suggest I keep since I'm pretty much forced to toss anything I can't carry with me.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
Rubyiris: Is there a shelter you can go to? Don't know what the weather is like over there, but you'll probably want warm clothes and your ID card.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
On the work/job/school stuff... I sympathize...

This is one of my favorite quotes regarding the subject:

"The reality of the society that we're in is that there are thousands and thousands of people out there... in quiet screaming desperation, working long hard hours at jobs they hate to enable themselves to buy things they dont need... in order to impress people they dont like."
-Nigel Marsh
Why do you think I'm a reclusive alcoholic?

Beats living that **** life, though not really by much, and I'll probably die soon but whatever.

Top Bottom