• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unity Ruleset: Discussion

The game is perfectly competitive, there is no one character that dominates it, in fact characters like metaknight would probably suffer and get hard countered by characters like fox there due to his crappy horizontal air speed and foxs camping abilities.

perfectly viable counterpick :D
If you're talking about Temple, Metaknight is THE optimal choice for that stage, just ahead of Sonic. Sonic is overall faster, but MK can laglessly traverse the middle circle, which lets him save time and make up for his speed. Also, his 5 jumps and fast glide allow him to be versatile on the other two hard circles in the stage.

Just sayin'.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Kwah? I would think it would be under the BBRRC's jurisdiction to allow this, since they're the ones heading up and backing ruleset changes. And keep in mind, I'd just like to request a discussion for now. No votes, no ruleset changes, since, as you said, it IS a serious rule change; just a place to discuss and see IF there's anything to even warrant the consideration of the ban(AKA a vote).
This is an interesting dilemma. The issue with open MK ban threads is every time they have occurred they have always ended in the same outcome. I'm not referring to the outcome of the debate, but instead the degradation of the thread. While yes, the BBR-RC might very well talk about it at some point, the conversation would likely be contained with the small (<20) group of TOs and things are unlikely to get out of hand. At current I believe it is general staff policy for the open-forums not to allow MK ban discussion because the thread ends up being a moderation nightmare, requiring 24/7 moderation watch and typically by multiple moderators. I wasn't one of the moderators who dealt directly with the creation of this policy so it is possible I'm missing something here, but I do believe the current stance is not to allow the debate in the open. The debate, in all 4 instances lead to: -Fake account creations/multiple account creations, ban dodging, excessive flaming, excessive derailment of the topic, excessive new threads on the same forum that were just really the same discussion veiled slightly differently than the main discussion, and finally the near shut-down of all other topics since 95% of attention was paid only to the MK discussion.

As for in the BBR-RC room, any TO is welcome to bring up any rule they wish to discuss, and the basic structure is a discussion stage, which is of variable length- typically until all sides are presented and discussion is exhausted. Afterwards there is a voting stage if necessary (sometimes the discussion makes it plain everyone is already in agreement). I do not know if any TO plans to bring up banning MK, at current there are other more pressing concerns like adding new members to the room and refining the version 1.0 ruleset (we'll be moving to voting soon on some stages like Picto and we are currently discussing Japes as well as 5 vs 7 starters).

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
9 has been accepted for MLG, I fail to see any reason why it shouldn't be supported by TOs, since it IS sound in theory, and people can and will get used to it with time.

7 could be used as a transition period, but ideally we should aim for 9. Full-list is kind of a pipe dream. Awesome idea, unlikely to see implementation in practice.

sunshade

Smash Ace
9 has been accepted for MLG, I fail to see any reason why it shouldn't be supported by TOs, since it IS sound in theory, and people can and will get used to it with time.

7 could be used as a transition period, but ideally we should aim for 9. Full-list is kind of a pipe dream. Awesome idea, unlikely to see implementation in practice.
A member of the main ruleset governing body in smash just said that full legal stage list striking was sound in theory, and you are calling it a pipe dream? If we quit advocating for 9 stages, and actually argue for the thing that is best we could see it happen.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
@ AlphaZealot

Well, I completely understand the rationale behind not opening up a public discussion and waiting to finish up on other controversial topics first.

Opening up a MK discussion also paves the way to a flame war, and very quickly, as well, but I feel that we as a community have matured(somewhat) over the past year, so I would anticipate a much smoother discussion than what we went through a year ago.

Anyway, as far as the discussion goes, that's your choice, but I feel allowing the public to discuss it may help give both sides of the argument within the BBRRC some insight when and if a discussion actually takes place in there. I know for a fact that I at least have some data no one's been made aware of yet, so yeah, just some food for thought.

Also, if things really get out of hand, to the point where moderation becomes tedious, you could just lock/delete the thread, and problem solved.

But as far as a vote... when and IF it actually happens, you're going to have to include the community in on this one(unless all of you unanimously agree on one side, which I doubt will happen). Not only will this allow the community to act for their own side, but it also gives us tourney-goers a LOT of advance notice that such an operation is underway.

As far as fake accounts... you're going to need a voter filter(100 posts or more to vote?), as I've stated many times, to reduce the issue caused by alt. accounts(in other words, the site coders will have to do this). There's no way we'll get even remotely close to whatever the true percentages of the vote are supposed to be until we do that. This applies to the 4 other ban votes, and why I feel we also need another shot at this; to get a true vote percentage.

Optionally, you're also going to want some kind of poll mechanism that hides the results from the users until voting actually ends, AKA when the poll gets locked. People tend to get desperate when they know their side isn't winning, and that might lead to problems in the long run. This feature is available in some other sites I go to; I'm not sure if it holds true for SWF, but if it doesn't, you're gonna want to focus on getting one instated as well.

And to avoid any and all flame wars... just post the thread with both sides' arguments, insert the poll, and lock the thread. All users have to do is walk in, read, vote, leave, and they're done with that thread forever. Simple enough, right?

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Be realistic, Sunshade.

He also thinks they aren't ready for 9. If they're not ready for 9, they're clearly not ready for Full-list.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but there are MORE REALISTIC things to shoot for.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I was the one that implemented 9 via the MLG ruleset, and I no longer support 9. I'd support 5 or 7. Really there is only a marginal at best difference between 7 and 9 and I feel 7 is a much quicker and cleaner process.

Full stage striking is not sound in theory. It
-Makes both players only play on their 5/6 best (really though, worst) stage of which neither will be entirely comfortable, why start a match on a stage neither player would actually prefer to play on?
-More importantly, over the course of several thousand matches, I doubt several stages would be used even a single time, in which case striking them was simply a formality and a waste of time.
-The idea that full stage striking somehow leads to the most "neutral" stage for the first game for any two given characters can be no more proven true than that of 5/7/9.
-Yes, lets make already complicated Smash rules and already long/drawn out match beginning routines take EVEN LONGER for almost no real gain.
-MK

sunshade

Smash Ace
Be realistic, Sunshade.

He also thinks they aren't ready for 9. If they're not ready for 9, they're clearly not ready for Full-list.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but there are MORE REALISTIC things to shoot for.
I think that the peoples ability to adapt to full legal stage striking is being exaggerated. I think that FLSS is different enough from regular striking that people would view it as an entirely new system of stage selection and would be less inclined to view it as they do typical starter lists.

In a sense its simmilar to how I practice shodokan karate, but if I attempt to learn shotokan karate forms I make mistakes due to the arts being so similar but having distinct nuances. I don't however have issues with arts such as goju ryu (which is entirely from both shodokan and shotokan karate) different because I am not pulled by muscle memory to behave like I do when practicing shodokan.

-Makes both players only play on their 5/6 best stage of which neither will be entirely comfortable, why start a match on a stage neither player would actually prefer to play on?
-More importantly, over the course of several thousand matches, I doubt several stages would be used even a single time, in which case striking them was simply a formality and a waste of time.
-The idea that full stage striking somehow leads to the most "neutral" stage for the first game for any two given characters can be no more proven true than that of 5/7/9.
-MK
I will make a larger post about this topic later. Full legal stage list striking can be proven to take you to the true neutral of the match-up.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I will make a larger post about this topic later. Full legal stage list striking can be proven to take you to the true neutral of the match-up.
No. It can't. No more then entire-40ish-stage-list striking would take you to the "true neutral" of the match up. It most especially can't be proven since it has never been used on a widescale (or even a single tournament?) and to propose that such a thing would somehow become the standard country-wide is preposterous.

Proof would require data, and data would require you/someone convincing even a single TO (on the committee or not) to actually run a tournament with full-stage striking.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
AZ don't forget about my post up above :(
Just... take it into consideration, okay?

Also, let's not shoot sunshade down so quickly... if he has some reasoning behind it, then we may as well hear him out, then discuss why he is or isn't wrong, right?

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Anyway, as far as the discussion goes, that's your choice, but I feel allowing the public to discuss it may help give both sides of the argument within the BBRRC some insight when and if a discussion actually takes place in there. I know for a fact that I at least have some data no one's been made aware of yet, so yeah, just some food for thought.
My guess on this is you would need to convince someone to bring up the policy in the staffer shack, and then hope enough people on the staff would be willing to accommodate another MK ban debate/thread. Personally speaking I no longer care much about the debate either way and wouldn't touch it with a 20-foot pole (not saying I don't have an opinion/preference on it, I'm just tired of the debate). I use to be a "leader" on the anti-ban side awhile back but it is simply to time consuming, so if you are looking for answers or someone to step up it will have to come from someone who has the type of disposable time an MK debate will inevitably take. My personal stance now would probably be closer classified as leaning-pro-ban, but at the same time like I said I simply want to stay away from it.

Basically: start looking at a moderator you could convince to bring the issue back up for discussion. Speaking from an admin point the debate is the biggest of possible headaches.

Bizkit047

Smash Lord

Depends on your definition of "accepted." It was widely disapproved by many. With 7 stages, those have already been used at major tourneys, and a recent national, with far less problems.

@ AlphaZealot

Opening up a MK discussion also paves the way to a flame war, and very quickly, as well, but I feel that we as a community have matured(somewhat) over the past year, so I would anticipate a much smoother discussion than what we went through a year ago.
A much smoother discussion than total chaos still isn't very appealing. You're also underestimating the level of reaction, immaturity, and ignorance of the community to MK ban topics.

Also, if things really get out of hand, to the point where moderation becomes tedious, you could just lock/delete the thread, and problem solved.
No, problem not solved. If the goal of an MK Ban discussion thread is to help push the BBR-RC for an MK ban, then locking/deleting the thread would not solve anything, especially if it's locked/deleted before most smarter players get their chance for input.

But as far as a vote... when and IF it actually happens, you're going to have to include the community in on this one(unless all of you unanimously agree on one side, which I doubt will happen). Not only will this allow the community to act for their own side, but it also gives us tourney-goers a LOT of advance notice that such an operation is underway.
I agree, the community should be aware of such a major poll. You also underestimate the amount of bias the general community would have on such a poll.

As far as fake accounts... you're going to need a voter filter(100 posts or more to vote?), as I've stated many times, to reduce the issue caused by alt. accounts(in other words, the site coders will have to do this). There's no way we'll get even remotely close to whatever the true percentages of the vote are supposed to be until we do that. This applies to the 4 other ban votes, and why I feel we also need another shot at this; to get a true vote percentage.
A post count filter would encourage spamming for the new users who want to vote, even if it's an alternate account. Voting itself is pretty flawed for a subject like this, since you cannot separate the joke votes from the serious votes, and then there's the issue of which votes are from users who actually believe they're right? I could easily link a friend to the poll and say "hey vote to ban MK, every vote counts!" even if my friend doesn't believe it. You will NEVER get a true percentage for this if you involve the entire community.

Optionally, you're also going to want some kind of poll mechanism that hides the results from the users until voting actually ends, AKA when the poll gets locked. People tend to get desperate when they know their side isn't winning, and that might lead to problems in the long run. This feature is available in some other sites I go to; I'm not sure if it holds true for SWF, but if it doesn't, you're gonna want to focus on getting one instated as well.
That still wouldn't really solve the above issues.

Be realistic, Sunshade.

Exactly. If 7 goes over fine and 9 seems like a better step up, then that can be discussed after 7 is implemented. Going from a 5 stage starter to full list would be pretty ridiculous to try to do, considering our community has never done more than a 9 stage starter list, and going from regions who had 5 starters to 9 starters (MLG) received a great amount of negative feedback.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I was the one that implemented 9 via the MLG ruleset, and I no longer support 9. I'd support 5 or 7. Really there is only a marginal at best difference between 7 and 9 and I feel 7 is a much quicker and cleaner process.
It's one extra strike per player. 3-4-1 vs. 2-3-1. How is that "much quicker and cleaner"?

-Makes both players only play on their 5/6 best (really though, worst) stage of which neither will be entirely comfortable, why start a match on a stage neither player would actually prefer to play on?
As opposed to a stage where one party has a sizeable advantage? Yeah, that sounds fair. The only way you'll end up on a bad stage for your character is if you have more bad stages than good ones. Unless both players prefer to play on the same stage, striking will ALWAYS be better.
While partially true, the important thing is that the Median of Bias is more accurate as a result of striking those stages. Just because you'll always strike RC and Brinstar against MK doesn't mean he SHOULDN'T get the advantage of forcing two strikes because he's really good there.
Not sure how you figure this, given that the entire premise is based around removing what the players consider NOT neutral in that particular matchup.
-Yes, lets make already complicated Smash rules and already long/drawn out match beginning routines take EVEN LONGER for almost no real gain.
That's a pretty shabby excuse, and certainly doesn't hold up for increasing to 9 starters.
Good character is good. Why does this surprise anyone? Don't make the system unfair just to limit a character.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Well, that's why I said a public discussion may not be in order. If the potential for disaster is too great, then you definitely shouldn't bother. With that said, though, I hope it is a topic that the BBRRC will take into account someday, after all of the current topics have met a resolution.

As far as receiving input from other players...how about this? If the thread is created, then it becomes ******** and force locked, and you still need player input, maybe you could have 1 on 1 conversations with people from both sides of the argument via Aim or something to determine what their stances are...?

Also, I don't think people would take it as a joke vote. If you were there, you would've seen how serious the first 4 ban votes were. I'm pretty sure everyone(+ their alts) were truly voting for whatever side they believed was necessary. I don't think people are gonna **** around on a serious topic like character banning, especially if you say you'll accept the vote/count each 2.5% above 50% from the community's poll as an extra vote in the BRC's poll(similar to what the BBR did).

And... why wouldn't a voter filter solve the alt. account issue? If a user doesn't have 100 posts or more on SWF, voting will be disabled for that user. In that way, users wouldn't be able to mindlessly create new accounts and vote with them.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
doing 2-3-1 is actually the best statistically

P1 has a 14% chance to strike the stage that the opponent most wants
P1 then has a 17% chance to strike the stage that the opponent most wants
P2 has a 20%, then a 25%, and then a 33% chance to strike the stage that the opponent most wants
P1 then has a 50% chance to strike the stage that the opponent most wants

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
And... why wouldn't a voter filter solve the alt. account issue? If a user doesn't have 100 posts or more on SWF, voting will be disabled for that user. In that way, users wouldn't be able to mindlessly create new accounts and vote with them.
Join date + number of posts would be much better. People would spam their alt accounts in order to be able to vote multiple times, which just makes SWF more messy.

sunshade

Smash Ace
I cannot in a nice and concise paragraph say why full legal stage striking (FLSS) is the only way to find the true neutral of every match-up so I am going to start out by talking about what makes a character better than another character.

In brawl we get the joy (or curse, however you want to look at it) of having stages which affect gameplay and character balance. As a result every single match on every single stage is different. Diddy vs Falco (DvF) on Battlefield is a different match-up from DvF on Smashvile which a different match-up from DvF on Delfino.

Every single character match-up has multiple sub-match-ups contained within it. The result of this is that we are not able to know which player is truly better unless we were to play a match on every single legal stage and award the victory to the player who won the majority. The conclusion from this is that if character A is better on the majority of stages than the opposing character B, character A is better character.

Playing out a match on every single stage however is exceedingly impractical due to time constraints and forces us to look for a way to simplify the process. To do this we must create a system which emulates the effect of playing a match on every single stage in the game without taking an extraordinary amount of time. For the system to have this result the system would need to cause match-ups that favor characters who win the majority to continue to have the advantage.

To find a system which does this it only takes a bit of simple logic. If character A is is better on a majority of stages than character B having both characters strike a number of stages equal to the total legal stage roster minus 1. This results in both characters being an equal number of stages away from their best stage and as a result they reach what is know as the median of bias.

FLSS is designed to reach the median of bias and as a result causes characters who are better on a majority of stages to be given an advantage. This incidentally causes characters who are good on a select few stages but poor overall to be given significantly less advantage then they are now, ice climbers being the most visible example. On the flipside characters who excel on multiple stages such as Wario, game and watch, and Metaknight will be given the advantage they rightfully deserve for being superior characters.

Now that the general theory and logic behind FLSS has been stated, I will continue on to address each of Alpha Zealots individual.

There is nothing wrong with players playing on the stage they have a "meh" reaction to if the stage is fair.

Those stages may not be used but by removing them entirely you will be causing a skew in the natural match-up between two characters and arbitrarily causing match-ups to change.

Read the argument above. If your intention of a starter list is to represent a match in the most fair way possible then FLSS is in fact the most effective manor.

Telling players to alternate stage strikes is really not that complicated.
The gain is that we are preserving the game's inherent balance and are allowing good characters to be good and bad characters to be bad. It avoids the creation of double standards, and is much more logically sound than the current system.

Metaknight is only intolerable on his two best stages, and is a nuisance on his less powerful counterpicks. The stage he will be taking to like you said will be his 6th or 7th best stage which in the majority of situations will be something already present on a 7 stage starter list.

I have other priority at the moment so I will not be able to respond to arguments about this post for about an hour or so but I will be back shortly.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Most of the time actually. This happened a bunch in NM when we were practicing for MLG tourneys, so it would be like 100% for FLSS

It might be a good thing, but cmon, baby steps, not complete 180 to start with

Yikarur

Smash Master
ESAM I don't think statistic works here xD
thats only for the case that both players have one stage they really want.
1-2-1-2-2-1 is the fairest imo because going from 5 to 2 stages is really strong.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Yikarur, you do understand 1-2-1-2-2-1 stage striking will leave you with negative 2 stages on a 7 stage starter list, right? XD

Orion*

Smash Researcher
What is the point in having a projectile if the other character can catch up to you and deal damage worth about 15 projectiles in a single hit? Besides, that increases the list of viable characters to 2, and the stage still has the aforementioned issue.

If you were playing against a decent player using Sonic on Temple, what would be the ratio (in your opinion) of you getting the first hit compared to them getting the first hit?

You REALLY think you could consistently land the first hit?
Every character is viable if they don't lose the lead, just like planking.

Unless you have factual data to back what youre saying up- Since you know, I have never seen any testing on the stage.

Fox can definitely land hits before sonic though LOL
If you're talking about Temple, Metaknight is THE optimal choice for that stage, just ahead of Sonic. Sonic is overall faster, but MK can laglessly traverse the middle circle, which lets him save time and make up for his speed. Also, his 5 jumps and fast glide allow him to be versatile on the other two hard circles in the stage.

Just sayin'.
Thats the thing. I think fox would beat MK, how the hell would he catch him? lasers = auto lead // force approach

Be happy when/if you can even get 7 then if it works and the community likes it consider going to 9 but complaining already is just pointless because I know plenty of people willing to go to 3 before that.

-MK
No. It can't. No more then entire-40ish-stage-list striking would take you to the "true neutral" of the match up. It most especially can't be proven since it has never been used on a widescale (or even a single tournament?) and to propose that such a thing would somehow become the standard country-wide is preposterous.

Proof would require data, and data would require you/someone convincing even a single TO (on the committee or not) to actually run a tournament with full-stage striking.
I mostly agree with all of this

Yikarur

Smash Master
buhu I just said that your statistics are "bad" and not applicable. :p
Statistic doesn't work at such a scenario.

sunshade

Smash Ace
Damn. Orion just out-logic'd Grim Tuesday AND John12346 and essentially broke the originalist ideal.

...What the ****?!?
Orion didn't out logic anything, he simply explained why temple has competitive viability to it and he is right. All stages, all games, everything really, has some competitive viability to it.

Game play on temple however consists of far more 100-0 match-ups than any other game I have ever seen and if we are to consider a stage's viability in terms of if the stage could stand alone foster a competitive game then temple would fail that test.

The real issue however is with the counterpicking system. If we choose to remove counterpick and have every round be full list striking temple would not be an issue. Not that I advocate for full list striking, but temple could very easily introduced into our metagame.

Also someone respond to my FLSS post.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
The only problem I have with using FLSS for all three games is the sheer amount of depth lost, since you'd essentially never see a polar stage played on ever again. (assuming proper striking)

Great idea from a purely competitive standpoint, but I dislike the depth lost.

Nanaki

Smash Lord
The only problem I have with using FLSS for all three games is the sheer amount of depth lost, since you'd essentially never see a polar stage played on ever again. (assuming proper striking)

Great idea from a purely competitive standpoint, but I dislike the depth lost.
You probably wouldn't see many extremely polar stages, but you would likely still see a decent variety due to how much different characters prefer different stages even within the same general layout. Within a matchup you might not see much stage variety, but across all matchups you might see more than now. That is, if people actually decided to strike all of those stages instead of just saying "SV?"

Also, you could still play any stage in MM's or friendlies if you wanted.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Game play on temple however consists of far more 100-0 match-ups than any other game I have ever seen and if we are to consider a stage's viability in terms of if the stage could stand alone foster a competitive game then temple would fail that test.
A. There's no 100-0 statistic ever
B. We don't know if these unwinnable matchups would even happen because... well we haven't even tested it and already there seems to be some argument on who beats who there.
C. It doesnt matter if it fosters competitive gameplay or not since that is irrelevant to argument and is completely subjective, I'm purely proving a point that its the same as D3s cg being banned.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I think the problem with this assumption that FLSS is viable for true neutrality is that nobody actually knows what every character's best and worst stages are and in what order. More people play to personal preference for the majority of stages and not nearly as much to matchup polarity. People such as Raziek and BPC have dismissed making an effort to chart matchups on a stage-by-stage basis as "impossible and impractical in every way" so I doubt any progress will ever be made on that front either.

Goddammit I'm still not used to Orion posting non-troll comments.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I think the problem with this assumption that FLSS is viable for true neutrality is that nobody actually knows what every character's best and worst stages are and in what order. More people play to personal preference for the majority of stages and not nearly as much to matchup polarity.
I'm pretty sure that's players' fault, and most importantly, it can be corrected simply by learning.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I think the problem with this assumption that FLSS is viable for true neutrality is that nobody actually knows what every character's best and worst stages are and in what order. More people play to personal preference for the majority of stages and not nearly as much to matchup polarity. People such as Raziek and BPC have dismissed making an effort to chart matchups on a stage-by-stage basis as "impossible and impractical in every way" so I doubt any progress will ever be made on that front either.

Goddammit I'm still not used to Orion posting non-troll comments.
Oh **** off Thio, that's a monumental task to ask ANYONE to do, don't act like we have some sort of responsibility to do it.

You want to ***** about it, you do it.

In the sheer amount of time it would take to make such a chart, the metagame would have outdated the start of the chart before we finished it.

****, I wouldn't do that even if you paid me.

fkacyan

Smash Hero

I'm pretty sure that's players' fault, and most importantly, it can be corrected simply by learning.
You're going to tell me you can represent all of your own character's matchups 100% accurately on every stage?

***** even m2k cant do that ****.

Top Bottom