• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Up smash spike thread: Trying to make it work consistently - Hm?

Trillion

Smash Ace
Magnum, you kinda just proved Boxob's point. The fact that you only know how to do it on Fox, at a certain level, at a certain percent, at a certain area of the stage, and you can usually do it, proves how situational this move is.

:093:
Right now yes, he is currently correct. But that doesn't mean that this can't change. I believe that there are more ways of doing it that I just dont know of. Just because I lack knowledge of something doesnt mean it doesnt exist or that I can't learn about it.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
It's situational, that's why I'm TRYING to make it work CONSISTENTLY.
All I'm saying is, we've had multiple threads like this before...as far as I'm concerned, this is one of those things that are so situational, it'll STAY that way. We've tried breaking it before, but hey...

I guess it's worth another shot if you really think there's hope for this thing.

Also, I can tell you right now that Magnum's set up can be easily avoided if the opponent knows how to tech Dthrow.

infomon

Smash Scientist
It still might be worthwhile to know when it has a reasonable chance of happening.
Like if it can't possibly happen from a standing Usmash, that's good to know.

I suspect that horizontally-fast Usmashes will have a higher incidence.

I should learn to DACUS with Sonic. :psycho:

Tenki

Smash Hero
Well, the problem is getting your opponent to be slightly away from the edge to the point where they have enough of an opening after a missed move where you can nail a DACUS, startup lag in mind.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Johns.

anyways about my productivity................

i'll get back to you on that
Legit john. :p
And I support this thread, why?
Because it never hurts to know situational stuff... because these situations do come up

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Call me a noob, but what is DACUS? BTW, Chis, I'm glad you're trying to do something for your character. Pessimism should be ignored, everyone'll be leeching off of your success anyways.

Tenki

Smash Hero
DACUSnis a moveowhere you cancel your dashoattackbinto an up smash.

Stands for Dash-attack-cancelled-up-smash. Sometimes, we call it DAC for short (lol, shortening an acronym, quaint?).

It's really noticeable with Snake (if you've ever seen the no-contact 'snakedash', that's DACUS).

For Sonic, you can get the same slide as his DACUS if you do a U-smash from a full-speed dash. The main advantage of a DACUS for Sonic is that you get a full-speed movement without having to actually run first.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Ah. Well, Lucario has cleats for paws, so I suppose this isn't very useful for him. Thanks, though! ^_^

Trillion

Smash Ace
Have you tested out if this works if part of the Up Smash is shielded?

Actually, that would be way nice if it could still spike even if it were shielded during the first 6 hits. Like if you are trying to hyphen smash Bowser and his shield takes the first 6 before finally taking the 7th hit and getting spiked lol.

Though, I guess that would make him bounce off the floor in most cases and then you could try for another up smash and hope that the second one gets the spike off the stage? Interesting idea and even more situational then the previous one. I love considering incredibly unlikely hypothetical situations such as the this one that I just proposed.

So, if it can be shielded for a few hits first, then we need at least 2 hits in order to get an effective spike towards death because we need at least one hit to lift them off the ground first.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
this... isn't actually as stupid as other threads.

i don't think people are going to try and remember those stats though.
a good recommended estimate for in match recall is try when you have a good shot between 45-70

idk about the lab lock though

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
people wont take the time to learn this immediately (i know i wont) but its good to have the info for when i do decide to come back and learn this.

right now im really focused on getting my grab game to the fullest maximum potential (lol CGs)

but when i have perfected some other aspects of my game i will come back to this and try to learn it

good stuff chis. i definitely appreciate you taking the time to work out numbers for each character. this is similar to the down tilt combo thread that i had magnum make.

Trillion

Smash Ace
good stuff chis. i definitely appreciate you taking the time to work out numbers for each character. this is similar to the down tilt combo thread that i had magnum make.
I'm glad that Chis has some of the support for this that he does have. I tried making a thread like this before and instantly got told by soo many people that it was a horrible idea and then the few people who seemed interested never replied back on it at all. So, instead, I started trying to make a list of occurrences based on my own videos. Unfortunately, i only have 2 times that I have done it that I have been able to replicate, one being the fox instace that I mentioned. The other is on Ivysaur, but it didn't kill him because he didn't go off the side of the stage but it was clearly a spike.

@ Chis -
I gave the exact info that I have on the Fox example, and if you need to see it is in my combo vid and I can try to give you the exact time in the vid that it is shown if you are interested. I can also post the Ivysaur data that I have which includes a description of it and I can upload the vid I have of it on youtube if you'd like. I believe that there are a lot of factors to include in this that may make it hard to get a general percentage rule about when to do it. If we can manage that, then great that would be amazing. If not, then I think we could at least compile a list of times that I has happened and descriptions of when it was done so that we can try to replicate them in matches. Like, I might be able to say, "oh, try for a upsmash spike when fox is at the 20 -30% range after a down throw." The problem I see with getting a typical rule is that we don't have enough data to determine how this works exactly. I think it is very important that you have figured out that the 7th hit is a downward hit and this will probably make a huge difference.

The problem with that even is that we don't seem to have a way to cause the 8th hit to miss or for the 7th hit to launch them out fast enough. As for making that happen, I have several factors that I think may effect it. These are: How many hits of the up smash have hit the opponent, the distance between the opponent and Sonic when the upsmash begins, the physical position of the opponent ( laying on the ground, standing, in the air, rolling, running, etc.) when it begins, the opponents DI, opponent's percentage, opponent's character (in regards to weight, size, shape), etc.

Also, I just thought of this, could we find a distance, from which we can hyphen smash or DACUS to where the first 6 hits will be done by the time we hit the opponent so that we only land the 7th?

Tenki

Smash Hero
lol want some ideas?

test out %'s that F-throw and D-throw when DI'd away from Sonic (they do DI that way sometimes o_O) sets the opponent up to land near the edge - more specifically, in range for you to DACUS.

Also, test the success %s for partially charged U-smashes, if you can use that to aid or modify the thing to work better.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Why would anyone DI downward? Well I've done that before and slid across the stage. As for this, it's cool, but situational. :/

Trillion

Smash Ace
Good job Chis! Would you mind including an explanation of how you were testing this? I'm just curious and that way I or anyone else can help you with the work for other characters.

Top Bottom