• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Various Ways of Activating Your GCT file

Status
Not open for further replies.

the5souls

Smash Cadet
Okay. From what I understand, there are various ways of going about with Brawl hacking and stuff (for the 'codes', or the GCT files).

I have literally spent the past six days, about four/five/six hours on each day, attempting to learn and find out ways of hacking. Learning textures, coding, methods, etc.

Now my question: What is the best way?

I heard of Snapshot Hacking, Double GCT, a limit of only a certain amount of line of codes at a time, then a way of getting thousands of lines of code to work, then the normal way of putting a GCT inside your Code folder in your SD card.

Which of these is the best way to go with nowadays? Which are obsolete? Which will allow me to change GCT files (and, thus, allowing me to change code sets) on the fly, without needing to go back and forth between the Wii and your PC?

Thank you ahead of time, and if I get a solid answer (hopefully), I'll edit it in to this post so other Hacker newbies don't have to go all over the place. :)

Sukai

Smash Champion
Both are great, really.
Double gct is best if you just have a lot of codes that you want put to work.
Snapshot is similar, but one set of codes can be implemented without another, so lets say you have texture hack in your codes and B+ in your snapshot, if you wanted just textures, you don't have to use B+ to get to them, as the snapshot gct is optional.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
All of those methods are obsolete as you can just get the latest gecko os 1.9 and download the gameconfig.txt file and put it on the root of your ms. This latest version allows over 9000 lines of codes in a single .gct file. More then enough for brawl+ or anything else u want.

The snapshot method is only used for people who run brawl with the usb loader as this is the only way to load more then the 256 limit.

Double gct method is no longer used by anyone.

timothyung

Smash Ace
Snapshot is the most convenient way I would say. You can put the texture code, camera codes, and replay codes in the gct file, so you can play vBrawl with those codes on. When you want to switch to Brawl+ or activate whatever codes, load the snapshot.
Of course if you always want to activate all the codes, just put all of them into a gct and run it with Gecko OS

the5souls

Smash Cadet
Both are great, really.
Double gct is best if you just have a lot of codes that you want put to work.
Snapshot is similar, but one set of codes can be implemented without another, so lets say you have texture hack in your codes and B+ in your snapshot, if you wanted just textures, you don't have to use B+ to get to them, as the snapshot gct is optional.

Let's say I have several GCT files, each with it's own set of codes.

Brawl+
vBrawl with texture hack and unrestricted camera
vBrawl but with fun hacks like super characters

So, I would have three different GCT files right here. Would I use Snapshot Hacking method? That way, if my buddies all of the sudden wanted to play vBrawl Fun Hacks after a match of Brawl+, all I would do is go to my Snapshot Album in my SD card and simply press A on the staticky picture, and it's loaded?

And if I had a vBrawl Fun Hacks GCT with a few dozen codes I want to activate, I would use Double GCT, correct?

And these two ways (Double GCT/Snapshot Hack) are the only ways to use your GCT files? No other ways?

[And would you be kind enough to give me links to the threads? I tried the Search function, but then a ton of random stuff come up.]

the5souls

Smash Cadet
All of those methods are obsolete as you can just get the latest gecko os 1.9 and download the gameconfig.txt file and put it on the root of your ms. This latest version allows over 9000 lines of codes in a single .gct file. More then enough for brawl+ or anything else u want.

The snapshot method is only used for people who run brawl with the usb loader as this is the only way to load more then the 256 limit.

Double gct method is no longer used by anyone.
Oh, I didn't see this post.

Okay, Double GCT is obsolete now that there's a gameconfig.txt file that would allow thousands of lines of codes? But this only allows one set of codes at a time, correct? I wouldn't be able to switch in between different GCT files? And that's when I would use the Snapshot method?

Sukai

Smash Champion
Snapshot is an "and" instance, not an "either".
Basically saying, if you use snapshot, you'd be adding to your already active codes booted through Gecko.

the5souls

Smash Cadet
Snapshot is an "and" instance, not an "either".
Basically saying, if you use snapshot, you'd be adding to your already active codes booted through Gecko.
Wait... WHA?! Ugh. This WHHOOOLE time I thought the Snapshot method allowed you to switch different sets of code!! I wasted nearly six hours on this... :ohwell:

Are you sure? When you say "adding onto the codes through Gecko"... does it mean this:

Let's say I have 3 sets of codes again.

Set A
Set B
Set C

I place Set A into the 'Codes' folder in the root of my SD card (therefore, activating them through Gecko).

I place Set B on one Snapshot, and Set C on another Snapshot.

I load Gecko, which loads Set A automatically. Then, in Brawl, I load Set B through the Set B Snapshot.

Would I be able to switch in between Sets B and C without a computer? Even if it's restarting the Wii, and going through Gecko again, but, this time, I load Set C on the Set C Snapshot?

Snapshot is the most convenient way I would say. You can put the texture code, camera codes, and replay codes in the gct file, so you can play vBrawl with those codes on. When you want to switch to Brawl+ or activate whatever codes, load the snapshot.
Of course if you always want to activate all the codes, just put all of them into a gct and run it with Gecko OS
When timothyung posted that, the process I posted is what I was thinking.

I'm sorry, I just need clear clarification. You don't know what days of going through dozens of threads and posts and links and downloads and back and forth from the Wii and the PC and running all different programs and testing codes that work and doesn't work and errors does to my mind. It's hard to find a simple, plain English explanation on these forums, nonetheless, a thread where EVERYTHING is located in one place, not everywhere...

:dizzy:

the5souls

Smash Cadet
So... I can use the Snapshot Method to switch in between code sets. Whew...
:bigthumbu

Okay. Now... would any of you be kind enough to post your codes that you placed in your GCT inside the Code folder, that would help run the Snapshot Method? After hours of searching, I've found these codes that are supposed to work.

I have
- Gecko 1.9.1
- Code Manager v0.3
- Brawl Tweaker v0.096
- An SD Card
- An SD Card Reader
- RSBE Region (USA) [NTSC-USA]

I use this code set. (I've tried Maestro's files, but I arrive at the same problem shown later in this post)

RSBE01
SSBB

GCT in 'Codes'

File Replacment: v2.1a (34 lines)
225664EC 00000000
0401BFE0 4858BE20
065A7E00 00000070
38A00067 38810020
3CE0805A 60E37C18
4BE52531 38A0007F
3883FFE8 38610020
4BE52521 38A00068
60E47C18 38610020
9421FF80 BC410008
38610088 4BA74DB9
7C7C1B78 2C030000
4082000C 38210080
4800001C B8410008
38210080 4BE524E5
38610008 4BA742E1
7C7C1B78 4BA741E8
0401CD0C 4858B1F4
065A7F00 00000018
2C030000 4182000C
4BA7DD51 48000008
8078000C 4BA74DFC
043EE9D8 48000014
043EEBD4 48000014
043D8B9C 48000018
043E9B4C 38600000
043E9D38 38600000
043D8C80 60000000
80000000 80406920
80000001 805A7C00
8A001001 00000000
045A7C10 2F525342
045A7C14 452F7066
E0000000 80008000
[Phantom Wings]

Load & Execute Codes from Snapshot (16 lines)
040C7348 83A40004
20570000 00D0C0DE
20570004 00D0C0DE
04001848 80570008
64000000 00000000
E0000000 80008000
C20C7348 00000009
80A40008 3CC000D0
60C6C0DE 80E50000
7C063800 40820028
80E40004 3CC08057
60C60000 81050000
91060000 38C60004
38A50004 34E7FFFC
41A1FFEC 83A40004
60000000 00000000
[Y.S/Phantom wings] NTSC-USA
I added this to the Code folder (after changing it into a GCT file, of course), and I tried running it through Gecko.

And that's where it stops.

I hit Launch Game, and it says "SD Codes found. Applying..." Then it flashes a black screen then comes back to the Gecko screen and freezes.

I am pretty sure I am not the only one with this problem because I've looked through several threads and people have been posting about this problem, too, but not a single person has answered them, or at least given them a working solution.

Any ideas at all?

kirbycpok

Smash Journeyman

alright, for the 9000+lines thing, how do u use it, ive heard of it multiple times, but i have yet to see how to do it since.

A)my version of codemanager doesnt allow more lines than 256

B)i have yet to see anyone really explain it

please help

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
So... I can use the Snapshot Method to switch in between code sets. Whew...
:bigthumbu

Okay. Now... would any of you be kind enough to post your codes that you placed in your GCT inside the Code folder, that would help run the Snapshot Method? After hours of searching, I've found these codes that are supposed to work.

I have
- Gecko 1.9.1
- Code Manager v0.3
- Brawl Tweaker v0.096
- An SD Card
- An SD Card Reader
- RSBE Region (USA) [NTSC-USA]

I use this code set. (I've tried Maestro's files, but I arrive at the same problem shown later in this post)

I added this to the Code folder (after changing it into a GCT file, of course), and I tried running it through Gecko.

And that's where it stops.

I hit Launch Game, and it says "SD Codes found. Applying..." Then it flashes a black screen then comes back to the Gecko screen and freezes.

I am pretty sure I am not the only one with this problem because I've looked through several threads and people have been posting about this problem, too, but not a single person has answered them, or at least given them a working solution.

Any ideas at all?
Take the GameCube memory card out of the Wii

I actually havent tested to see if loading multiple snapshots causes a freeze, but i heard it doesnt. In fact, since snapshot codes load on top of textures in the gct, i think that you'd just add codes on top of those that are already active

If you play with hacks and dont use a usb loader, use gecko 1.9.1, which allows 8192 lines of code
If you use a usb loader, snapshot hacking is the way to go
if you want to switch between codesets, afaik you'd have to reset the wii

the5souls

Smash Cadet
Take the GameCube memory card out of the Wii

I actually havent tested to see if loading multiple snapshots causes a freeze, but i heard it doesnt. In fact, since snapshot codes load on top of textures in the gct, i think that you'd just add codes on top of those that are already active

If you play with hacks and dont use a usb loader, use gecko 1.9.1, which allows 8192 lines of code
If you use a usb loader, snapshot hacking is the way to go
I don't have any GameCube memory cards in the slots, yet Gecko still freezes at the same point.
And if I want to switch between codesets, I would have to reset the Wii (plus the Gecko loading) and THEN load up a different Snapshot, correct? (Assuming that I placed several different Screenshot Hacks on ONE SD card)

Epic Kovumon

Smash Journeyman

Or you can use a program called Cheat Manager (not to be confused with Code Manager) to switch within the HBC itself.

Download the latest cheat manager and put it into your apps folder of the SD card. Put codes you want into the txtcodes folder of the SD card. That way you'll be able to see the codes in cheat manager.

Will post a video if needed.

However, I don't think Cheat Manager works with updated/new codes, I tried to upload the Balanced Brawl txt folder but it reads as "empty."

the5souls

Smash Cadet
Or you can use a program called Cheat Manager (not to be confused with Code Manager) to switch within the HBC itself.

Download the latest cheat manager and put it into your apps folder of the SD card. Put codes you want into the txtcodes folder of the SD card. That way you'll be able to see the codes in cheat manager.

Will post a video if needed.

However, I don't think Cheat Manager works with updated/new codes, I tried to upload the Balanced Brawl txt folder but it reads as "empty."
For the Balanced Brawl .txt, I think you have to remove the asterisks before each line of code in the .txt file.

Go to Edit>Replace
In the "Find What:" box, type in "* " (asterisk and a space)
In the "Replace With:" box, type in " " (just a space)
Then click on Replace All.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
As far as i know having multiple snapshots on a sd card only overwrites the exisiting snapshots.

For example

You add 2 snapshots.
1 brawl+
1 bbrawl

Brawl+ being the 1st one you add works until u add the bbrawl snapshot. Now since the bbrawl snapshot is the newest snapshot it now overwrote the exisiting snapshot meaning instead of having 1 brawl+ and 1 bbrawl you now have 2 bbrawl snapshots. However when u delete the new bbrawl snapshot th 1st snapshot would then go back to loading the brawl+ codeset.

I have tested this by adding snapshots directly to my wii through snapshot sending(my sd slot is broke) and they do indeed overwrite each other. Also i made a thread about this a while back and illinialex24 confirms what im saying. Im pretty sure he is using a sd card since im probably the only one in the world with a broken sd slot on my wii lol.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=238429

However if anyone can prove that having different snapshots don't overwrite eachother plz prove me wrong!

I just hope the source code for gecko 1.9 eventually comes out or the creators of gecko 1.9 makes a usb loader compatible version themselves so people who do use usb loader don't have to worry about snapshots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom