• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Voice of King Dedede

CrenTIScO

Smash Apprentice
I was discussing Dedede's confirmation on another thread, when someone said something that shocked me to my core- what if Dedede's voice in Brawl is his voice from Kirby: Right back at ya!?

I really really really dislike that voice for him, somehow a large southern bellow does not suit a large hammer-wielding penguin. I will be discouraged if that turns out to be his voice, because Dedede is turning out to be an awesome character. Please, Sakurai, don't ruin this for us. Make him silent even! You created Dedede, you wouldn't do this to him, would you?

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
not only does a Penguin w/ a Hammer does not match the voice but....cmon....THE FACE!! His voice doesnt go with the face...

I dont know what kind of voice he should have but Kirby: Right Back At Ya! dubs suck eternal bawls IMHO....DDD should follow Meta's footsteps...

Hong

The Strongest
Well, Sakurai is the one who chose Kenichi Ogata for the original Hoshi no Kaabii dub. He is a really, really good seiyu and he has a funny voice to match the funny character. Here's a sample;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6puI0v2EwY

Really, I hope he doesn't talk. If they MUST have him talk, please be anything other than that southerner from that horrible, horrible, TERRIBLE 4kids dub.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'd rather him just make cute lil' animal type sounds like in the games than a voice

CrenTIScO

Smash Apprentice
Oh wait, MK had that latin voice in the show, didn't he? That makes me feel better about what Dedede's voice will become.

I like the Japanese voice for Dedede though!

Hong

The Strongest
I know I'm in a minority here but I like his southern accent from the show, he isn't supposed to be all serious, he's silly!
Which is every reason to use Kenichi Ogata. He's a funny character, so he should have a funny voice and I agree. But he can also have a good voice actor while retaining his silly grunts, thus getting the best of both worlds and appeal to everyone.

Quintsy

Smash Cadet
Even though im Australian and the show never aired, i DLed the US eps and I have seen the *** eps too. The US actors are HORRIBLE compared to the *** ones, but yes if Dedede does get that horrible voice actor on the US dub, I just wont be able to bring to myself to play the penguin i love.

On a side note I expected Meta Knight to get some lame voice but he got thats wicked sort of muffled voice its sounds so cool, maybe we can get something that cool for the penguin.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
I just really have never liked any japanese voice actors, they all sound the same to me :/ I'm sure they'd be good if I could understand them but because I can't I don't like them.
I also liked Metaknights Latin voice, it sounded awsome.

Duality

Smash Journeyman
Meta Knights voice was hella cool in the show, that spanish accent. I thought it fit him really well.

But DDD should get a diff voice actor, if not, oh well.

I just heard Meta Knights english voice which is hella badass, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCug0tFacxQ its at 1:04. He says "Victory... is my destiny"

bluekitsune13

Smash Journeyman
Meta Knights voice was hella cool in the show, that spanish accent. I thought it fit him really well.

But DDD should get a diff voice actor, if not, oh well.

I just heard Meta Knights english voice which is hella badass, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCug0tFacxQ its at 1:04. He says "Victory... is my destiny"
Oooh... Sweet. I didn't hear that before (I made a habit of turning down the sound on all the videos because of those booth babes).

Personally I liked the voices in the Kirby show. Metaknight's was especially cool, but I liked Dedede's too. I wonder what they'll do in Brawl.

Sonallvegqu

Smash Cadet
Whenever I see that Kirby anime with Dedede, the only thing I can remember about him is his big, fat laugh while he's jumping rope in a crappy-pencil animation episode. I can't get rid of that annoying scene and his Southern voice.

Glinth

Smash Journeyman
Yes, but sonic's voice actor in the 4kids dub was also his actor
in the video games, THAT'S why... metaknight and Dedede had no
voices in the games, so they can sound however they want (Badass in meta's case)

Duality

Smash Journeyman
voices in the games, so they can sound however they want (Badass in meta's case)
Well not in all his games, starting after Sonic Heroes, I believe the VA changed.

I'd rather have Dedede not talk, but Meta Knight's voice is awesome..

(Jeez every time I say Dedede I think of Carlos Mencia hahaha)

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Oh dear God, I SERIOUSLY hope Ted Lewis doesn't do the voice of King Dedede!

...Actually, Meta Knight sounded different in one of his victories then Eric Stuart's usual Spanish accents in the anime. Perhaps the same will go for King Dedede! :)

WarMachine

Smash Apprentice
Haha yeah that voice was horrible. It kind of grew on me slowly, but I really hope it's something better for brawl.

I just don't think I could stand hearing it after every match. HYUK HYUK HYUK!

Limey

Smash Fan
BRoomer
I'm hoping he's gonna be silent, although how likely that is, i dunno. I'm hoping that he makes his squeaky noise when he gets KO'ed, like in the Kirby games, though.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Yeah..the southern accent was horrid. Cute animal sounds maybe XD
No, King Dedede's voice will definitely be deeper then that.

Also, a friend of mine actually called NoA and confirme dhow they're going to pronounce King Dedede in teh game.

"King Day-day-day"

Just like originall intended.

CrenTIScO

Smash Apprentice
Well, think of the Pokemon. They have their voices from the show, not their cries from the games. There seems to be an inconsistency here.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
No he didn't. It's Dee Dee Dee unless your some freaky Wapanese geek that pronounces it Deh Deh Deh.
How do you know what he did and did not do; you don't even know who I'm taking about!

Also, quoted from Wikipedia:

"Due to some inconsistency on Nintendo's part, there is some argument between the spelling and pronunciation of King Dedede's English name. Several games swap between King Dedede and King DeDeDe (in Kirby Super Star, for example, his name is spelled "King De De De"), and various media had the pronunciation either as /diːdiːdiː/, or /dɛdɛdɛ/. The English version of the anime favors /diːdiːdiː/. His Japanese name's spelling (デデデ), however, is pronounced /dehdehdeh/."

I don't know why, but saying it "Dee Dee Dee" reminds me of 4Kids, and 4Kids makes my blood boil with rage.

Musica Amante

Smash Apprentice
Again, his voice from Kirby 64 was perfect. Though it was limited to grunts and 'hut!'s, it fit him very well.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Some people say that, since Meta Knight had his Japanese voice (from the anime), King Dedede should have his Japanese voice, and I think that's a neat idea.

Pizza Robo

Smash Journeyman
I also want King Dedede to have a different voice the 4kids one was terrible

MoneyCat

Smash Cadet
The America TV voice was kind of southern to me, I hope he doesn't have that voice, it was dumb.

Top Bottom