• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The wall of training

orca of sea1

Smash Rookie
How many of you out there have been practicing and you get really good really quick but then you hit this wall and to get better you have to practice ALL of the craazy techniques. I might begin posting my reviews of somethings such as teching and tell you how i did it but i'm just wondering if i'm the only one that's hit this wall before.

GodFed

Smash Apprentice
Like learning to L-cancel with analog stick+A aerials, then learning to L-Cancel with Cstick aerials and fast-falling?
That was definitely my biggest wall. I know exactly what you talk about.

orca of sea1

Smash Rookie
It's real hard with the knee of justice because falcon is so hard to short hop with

wool

Smash Ace
getting to short hop consistently with falcon shouldnt take too long man.
just get used to short hopping with fox pretty consistently and your set for all other chars.

as for the "wall" i sort of understand what you mean. but thats what makes it fun. i like to think of myself as a pretty good falco player, but i could never get the shine->bair down when my opponent was at 100+%

took a while to master but it was worth it in the end.

keeper

Smash Champion
Why do you keep making threads like this?

Also, learn to short hop with someone like Fox or Samus, then you can do it with everyone.

orca of sea1

Smash Rookie
why would it matter to you do you keep up with everything that i do. Maybe i'm curious. But excuse me for using my surrounding tools to make me better

SDC

Smash Lord
dude, just keep practicing. consistently. my biggest problem is that i dont get consistent practice, so i start slipping. try training a half hour to an hour a day (every day), and see if that helps you. : /

also, practice your ATs, watch vids on ur fave characters, and play real people who are better then you. getting better takes a while, but anything thats worth it does.

keeper

Smash Champion
why would it matter to you do you keep up with everything that i do. Maybe i'm curious. But excuse me for using my surrounding tools to make me better
Then use the surrounding tools that exist. There are many threads about getting better, videos on it, and even stuff about what this topic is about.

Not to mention you have three five threads now all surrounding the same topic.

ThePrime

Smash Lord
I've hit walls when i have been practicing too much or when im over exposed to melee. Maybe take a break? Play another game? Do something else that isn't focused on smash, and then come back to it after a couple of days.

It helps for me because sometimes when i've played melee for days straight i can feel that im playing too mechanically in matches and that im not thinking right and thus making poor decisions. After i take a break and come back, things feel way more refreshing and i find myself playing more creative.

Does practice make perfect? Yes.
Will you get better if you practice 24/7? I dont think so.

IShotLazer

Smash Journeyman
The biggest and hardest wall you will cross is when you actually learn almost every technique there is. Now you're stuck and the only way to get better is actually playing in a sense you have been practicing for this pinnacle of smash. The only way to get better from here isn't knowing something over your opponent aside from experience, but actually just outright beating them at mindgames, tech skill and creativity.

Luma

Smash Lord
i think everyone who played melee for quite some time knows that wall

all you can do imo is, when training alone, staying at your level and maybe get a little more technical, the real skill jumps just happen with experience

dudutsai

Smash Lord
i think everyone who played melee for quite some time knows that wall

all you can do imo is, when training alone, staying at your level and maybe get a little more technical, the real skill jumps just happen with experience
I agree a lot. To improve, the best way by far is just to play people.

azianraven

Smash Journeyman
Disconnect yourself from the internet and have a TV and Cube and Melee and just practice all your techs on whatever character.

That's what I did for a month. Worked splendidly.

m&m1992

Smash Cadet
my biggest wall until now was starting to play with captain falcon.
shffling evey attack and playing against gay-sheik with her gay-edgeguard, but now theres a new wall i suck at edgetechs it only works 2-3 times a day lol.
can you tell me how you learned edgetechs, pls?

IShotLazer

Smash Journeyman
Specifically edgeguard techs?
Theres the actual "Tech", there's a nice video on it somewhere by sveet but basically you end up jamming the C-stick and your stick in the direction of the stage when you get hit and press L/R, it's actually not as hard as it looks it's a lot more prediction than reaction.

Now ledgeguard techniques get ridiculously complicated but usually good edgeguards are when you seem like you are removing all options. A good example for the spacie matchup is predicting the illusion and already having a forward smash attack ready for their face, that's why you'll see fox/falco Forward smash after they forward throw off the ledge a lot of times. If they decided to use firefox you still have time to cover that option as well. Vs marth with any character if you can predict they are going to land on the stage with their up b and try to hit you, you can just crouch cancel and then smash attack after.

Be patient in your edgeguarding and just very omnipotent. Little jabs work great because they are fast and still have decent priority and can be followed up with finishers or just reset the whole thing.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Somedays i just SUCK ***

other days i move really fluidly

i suck at consistency.

its not like tech skill problems though (usually) it's strategy/mental issues. I know most matchups, sometimes i play them right and sometimes i just...don't.

halp?

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
You're problem just seems like an experience issue. If you're having problems with matchup consistency, just play that matchup more often. And try not to neglect any important matchups for too long (trust me, you don't wanna forget how to fight Sheik as Marth for example, when you don't know what to do that matchup is hell.)

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
For some reason i get mad nervous too. I dunno why, I just do.

So combine that with like not playing the matchup right (even when i know how to) = failure

but you're probably right, i just need to play more

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Somedays i just SUCK ***

other days i move really fluidly

i suck at consistency.

its not like tech skill problems though (usually) it's strategy/mental issues. I know most matchups, sometimes i play them right and sometimes i just...don't.

halp?
I used to be like this. Basically, I learned that all you really need to do is get better tech skill. You see, what happened with me is that I would get really pressured in intense matches, which would make me mess up on stupid things, like even just trying to n-air out of shield I'd end up rolling or something stupid. Anyway, I would just get more frustrated and need to stop playing for a while. Then I just took like a week or so and practiced the ATs so that I did them absolutely naturally. And guess what? The next time I played against my friends I held my own when things got intense. I also learned to tech in place mainly with Falcon (thanks to some great advice from Elen) and I got techchased a lot less, which helped me to focus on what I was doing.

The simple thing is that the more control you have over your character, the more options you have available to you. You don't think to do crazy things because you can't do them. If you're having trouble doing simple shffls in the middle of an intense match, you're definitely not going to be going to try to mind-game them. Just focus on trying to do what you're trying to do. That's the most important thing in smash. Don't be focused on the whole set or match or stock, but just one move at a time. Have a plan in mind, but realize that you can only react to what your opponent does. With Falcon I stopped trying to do really ridiculous things like triple knee. Instead, once I kneed them once and saw they were in range for another, I'd go for a second one, and if they were still in range I'd go for yet another one. Likewise, I got a ton better at tech-chasing just by guessing. Sometimes I down-air to the right when they tech left, or sometimes I try to jab them out of a missed tech and they roll behind me. But honestly, there are about four options they have: Tech in place, tech right, tech left, or don't tech. If you just guess you have a one in four chance of continuing the combo. And a lot of the time missing the tech and teching in place are the same if you're going for an aerial instead of a grab. It's really not as complicated as it sounds. And getting a feel for what your opponent typically does helps a lot, too. I know that if Chize techs right and I grab him and d-throw him, he's probably going to tech left right afterward and I'll go for a down-air, regrab, up-throw, down-tilt, knee. Bam, a pretty good combo all because I guessed.

Here's the shortened version of what I'm trying to say: Keep your cool, but have your tech-skill be good enough that even if you lose it, you'll still be able to do what you're trying to do and regain control of the match. Practice tech-chasing just by guessing and then mature to making educated guesses based on what you've seen them do in the past. If they miss the tech on a down-throw once, try jab resetting the next time. Maybe they're not used to the timing and need to figure it out. Abuse that. Learn to do really crazy things. The more options you have available, the more unpredictable you can be. You should learn to have complete control over your main. But above all: Relax, it's just a game. Play to have fun. I do ridiculous Falcon Punch combos (such as down-air to knee to Falcon Punch or reverse Falcon Punch to double knee) because I throw them out at times when I think I've got a shot. In fact, I switched to Falcon because I had more fun with him. It gave me motivation to become better. Remember, if Melee's becoming more about this abstract idea of becoming better instead of just having fun, then you need to seriously re-evaluate why you play.

tl;dr version: Chill out and practice tech skill, you'll get better eventually.

m&m1992

Smash Cadet
Specifically edgeguard techs?
Theres the actual "Tech", there's a nice video on it somewhere by sveet but basically you end up jamming the C-stick and your stick in the direction of the stage when you get hit and press L/R, it's actually not as hard as it looks it's a lot more prediction than reaction.

Now ledgeguard techniques get ridiculously complicated but usually good edgeguards are when you seem like you are removing all options. A good example for the spacie matchup is predicting the illusion and already having a forward smash attack ready for their face, that's why you'll see fox/falco Forward smash after they forward throw off the ledge a lot of times. If they decided to use firefox you still have time to cover that option as well. Vs marth with any character if you can predict they are going to land on the stage with their up b and try to hit you, you can just crouch cancel and then smash attack after.

Be patient in your edgeguarding and just very omnipotent. Little jabs work great because they are fast and still have decent priority and can be followed up with finishers or just reset the whole thing.
ty very much i didn´t use the sticks i just pressed L/R

there are some days i just suck, too. or even some weeks when i played against my friend who´s using sheik against my poor falcon, but yesterday i just ***** him until he cried about every f***ing bulls***
... he often complains :ohwell:

Top Bottom