• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Winning Steak Cinemas: Video Archive & Criticism Thread Updated

Unsound_Shinobi

Smash Apprentice
Thank you very much for being honest, and for taking the time to critique the videos. To be honest I saw the Homing Attack as a quick easy approach to get past the DK ground pound, and also hoped to get kills with it early off stage since there's such a difference in power. I find the down B more difficult to use since you have to tap B fairly quickly to get going, and I know it has it's various uses I just have a hard time seeing where it would be better than over B unless I just wanna sit back and tap B in my ball waiting for them, or if I'm trying an ASC.

Also, thanks for pointing out my over use of moves, that's probably the biggest cause for my recent losses since I've stopped suiciding off stage, I always take the first kill, but then get punished over and over again after that, which may very well be caused by predictability from using the same things over and over.

I'll practice working more variety into my play style, it's already changed a fair amount from those videos, I love the guide on the Sonic Board, so much more helpful than some of my other characters boards.

XLR8TION

Smash Ace
NNID
XLR8TION
3DS FC
4399-0465-6002
Don't expect to kill DK with homing attack till like....180+? But then again don't use it to kill DK, it will backfire most of the time. Dk is so big he can usually survive those and a plethora of sonics moves. Plus DK's up b would most likely beat it. But im sure Dude doesn't that(going off the vids I saw). But yes like kinzer said you gotta learn to use sonic at potential, otherwise you won't do well at the tourney your going to.

Unsound_Shinobi

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I've improved a lot since those videos I can actually get some good kills, and safely rack damage haha. The DK up B loses to Sonics homing attack in the air, as long as the super armor has worn off, but there's still like no chance of getting a kill with it, I find it works as an okay approach when he uses down b for two long, and if i'm trying to get back on stage and he tries a sliding up smash or something.

XLR8TION

Smash Ace
NNID
XLR8TION
3DS FC
4399-0465-6002
Well theres always a chance of bad DI to get HA kills. DK's upsmash would kill HA lol.

XLR8TION

Smash Ace
NNID
XLR8TION
3DS FC
4399-0465-6002
True, it's ok but not something to depend on really.

Unsound_Shinobi

Smash Apprentice
True, it's ok but not something to depend on really.
Ah true, it's just a convenient situational thing, I'll have three new Sonic videos for upload within the next two days, until then I'm gonna go over to the Q/A thread haha.

Okay so here's three more that were done via Wi-Fi, but I think she proved to be a very good player, and these are probably more critique friendly than the last few (I hope).

Suicide Slushie (Sonic) Vs Rin (Pit):
1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQyF...DvjVQa1PpcFNyQ_r7exN_gru8zN9qbLMhVnE9MZAEItY=

2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGX6...DvjVQa1PpcFNyQ_r7exN_gnsAux6KLFgatnX4Ex67iBE=

3)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHep...DvjVQa1PpcFNyQ_r7exN_gm2qBy496kiHIYrbUO_t6OM=

Unsound_Shinobi

Smash Apprentice
NEVER worth the risk. EVER.
Maybe not against DK's at professional level you're probably right, but at my level, and my friends level, it's never failed me and it's one of my very limited options to actually do some damage, but it probably is a habit I should break before I move up in the world.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Most upsmashes have a fast enough charge release that they could release when your homing attack does and hit you. As BAM said, landing a...10(?) damage move that kill at 200+ near the ledge isn't worth launching yourself into a charged smash.

The best time to use homing attack is when you are sure it will miss.

XLR8TION

Smash Ace
NNID
XLR8TION
3DS FC
4399-0465-6002
Uh the vids had an error during validation shinobi.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
8 damage move that kill at-

The best time to use homing attack is when you are sure it will miss.
Fixed.

Hmphaha, and that's fresh...!

Also what? when it will miss? I hope you mean that you mean it misses its unintended target and doesn't end up getting you killed.

Assuming he uploaded to the same channel, just check that and it might be there.

Okay so here's three more that were done via Wi-Fi-
Alright, you lost me there.

Sorry, but is there no other person you can play with in-person?

:093:

Unsound_Shinobi

Smash Apprentice
Alright, I changed the links to the ones it took me to when I clicked the video, they work for me so I'm not entirely sure what happened, I'm very sorry for the trouble.

Fixed.

Hmphaha, and that's fresh...!

Also what? when it will miss? I hope you mean that you mean it misses its unintended target and doesn't end up getting you killed.

Assuming he uploaded to the same channel, just check that and it might be there.

Alright, you lost me there.

Sorry, but is there no other person you can play with in-person?

Well I can play the same guy I've been playing for the last few years, but I don't feel like that makes for a good video, plus I already have like 15 of me against him throughout the character video threads, mainly in Pit's.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
Yea here in RI we run 2 stocks 6 minutes which is fine with me. Though ppl form OoS who showup always complain about it though i can't blame them. :p

XLR8TION

Smash Ace
NNID
XLR8TION
3DS FC
4399-0465-6002
welp the least amount of time, the better the timeout. gogogogogogogogogo :129:

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
i usually don't go for the timeout as i always forget about how much time is left :S. That or i'll use the timer as a way to pressure my opponent into trying to rush getting a kill on me and fluster them.

True Blue

Smash Lord
Here are a bunch of videos of a tournament earlier this month I went to. Lots of Doubles cause those matches were the only ones that were always played on the main TV with the hacked wii.

(Doubles)
TrueBlue/Ryo :sonic: :ike: vs Ed/Trump :zelda: :fox:
LF Match 1
LF Match 2
LF Match 3 (Miscommunication & Bad Judgment on last stock.)
LF Match 4
LF Match 5

TrueBlue/Ryo :sonic: :ike: vs HRnut/GDX :snake: :diddy:
WF Match 1 (Too many inputs at the end but HRnut/GDX won)
WF Match 2
WF Match 3 (Too many inputs at the end but TrueBlue/Ryo won)
WF Match 4
WF Match 5

GF Match 1
GF Match 2
GF Match 3

(Singles)
True Blue :sonic: vs GDX :diddy: :wario:
Match 1
Match 2
Match 3

Rate me however. But thought I would throw these up.

True Blue

Smash Lord
Yea lol I loved them. Always fun to play you two, especially out of tournament too cause then it starts getting a little funny like that one time at HolySmash lol.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
HEY if you guys wanna do me a favor and laugh ALOT check out this stream recording of me @ a tourney on Monday

http://www.twitch.tv/arcadeodyssey/b/319464524

I play @ 40 mins and 2:28 mins

Wavebird controller + me ****ing around + the commentators SUCKING HORRIDLY

Gimme advice if you can

:sonic:

I'm 4_JC (4 my GF)
Well, I don't know about two minutes and twenty-eight seconds into the recording... considering it was a Link and a Fox who look like they were playing baby's first fighter back in '08, but as for the match forty minutes in...

Fist off, 4-stocks? Okay, I guess.

Orz, just realized timestamping's gonna be a pain in the ***
Hey now, if a word like penis is no longer censored, why is *** still censored anyway? I could say butt butt there's no emphasis there...
, but I suppose I'll go for that for the time being.

Alright, 40:35 - Why must you Dair when he's still next to the ground you're going to be landing next to? Did you want to give him a good punish opportunity or is that just a habit you need to work on? Either way, don't let this happen again.

Not even a second after, and he jumps at you... with Fair... and you respond by jumping back...? Why didn't you just stay put and get that punish yourself?

Oh... It's become clear to me this Snake isn't the best of them out there. Well then, let's just pretend this guy could play to maximum capacity and every mistake you make regardless can, and should, be coreected. Alright? Alright, let's keep going.

Spindashings aren't going to work much: He has... hitboxes. -_- Find another way to approach or something, one that doesn't involve you taking damage.

Uhm, please stop using USmash like how you were doing it... and more importantly: if you must do it, don't stop short of your target...

Your first death was an eyesore. Couldn't you at least have airdodged, or even be ballsy and try to clank/outprioritize the missile and go through it with an attack of some sort?

Speaking of clanks, I hate the way you use FSmash. Stop using it so much, and in the wrong places. This is Snake here, he won't be dying anytime soon.

... Uhm... damn... you know, I wanted to do timestamps, but as it turns out, it's just you having certain tendencies throughout the match that would take me much time to individually point them out. I'm also too lazy to edit this before I post it, so I guess you'll have to work with me on helping you get better. Perhaps you could start by playing someone that forces you to think instead of going braindead assailant on their puny ***?

In any case, there you go.

I'm bored, sad, and depressed 'cause of this. It's not like I want to watch you get better or anything, but there wasn't much to work with here. Get better footage... b-ba...baka!

/tsundere advice.

Here, have a Touhou track. One of the better ones IMO. I'm instantly okay with everything now, again.

HEY, TRUE BLUE!

... If I have your attention, would you care to read what I have to say for you? It's not much, but i think it's worth considering.

I've yet to take a serious look at your singles matches; but, that's just because I'm not especially knowledgeable... or even good, in any definition of the word, at the Diddy matchup.

At least for doubles though, you have some things you should look at. Have you noticed that you tend to fall in a predictable pattern? I know you have your partner to back you up if things get really hairy, but you could try to not fall into them. I'm not going to point these out specifically, but they're typical things, if you see, like Spring > Dair, Spindashing rolling without much regard as to your partner's whereabouts (collateral damage) and the opponent's position/ability to punish it, and your recovery habits; perhaps.

Your grab game could also use some work. You shouldn't be using the throws that take a super long time to go through with the animation, unless you're certain the other opponent isn't anywhere near to punish you, or your partner has a good punish opportunity. This also applies if you accidentally grab your partner; so you really should consider just using the quick throws just to get them off and do damage. That's your job on the team, you let your partner get the kills/slow attacks.

True Blue

Smash Lord
Yep I will gladly accept any criticism which is why I put up the videos for anyone who wants to criticize and help me.

My grab game sucks because everytime I try to dash grab out of something I never get a dash inputed. Though the other day Esam taught me why that happens and hopefully that will make my grab game a little better.
And yea I have bad habits. Trying to stop the Down Air habit, but everytime in teams I just want to rush back down to the stage and I feel like its too chaotic for people to notice that much. But I gotta stop doing it altogether.
And I used D Throw a lot cause before I wouldn't get punished for it because when I would get hit they would hit me during Super Armor, but people are waiting for it now so your right gotta do the quicker grabs.
In the end I am just explaining why I did the dumb things I did but your criticism is certainly being taken to mind and I will work on all those things you pointed out.

A side note, I hate Diddy. Items and me equals bad. lol
But thank you Kinzer

B_AWAL

Smash Master
Wavebirds plus nubs result in bad habits. I spent most of the tourney tryina get used 2 the controller. Working with lag was a pain. But I guess I just need better footage. I also spent my time just trying different ****.

I guess ill take ur advice n try 2 apply it?

:phone:

B_AWAL

Smash Master
Wavebirds plus nubs result in bad habits. I spent most of the tourney tryina get used 2 the controller. Working with lag was a pain. But I guess I just need better footage. I also spent my time just trying different ****.

Ooooooo I realized what you were talking about lol! I was just ****ing around up until I fought the lucario later in the video. I was jus testing tactics up until then.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581

Ooooooo I realized what you were talking about lol! I was just ****ing around up until I fought the lucario later in the video. I was jus testing tactics up until then.

... Wait, so there was more footage...!?

Would you care to point to me what times then? You only gave me, like, one clip that actually has you in it, and afterwards it's just sitting at that screen until I got bored.

I would be glad if you pointed it to me; but I'm not willing to make the effort of sifting through four hours of footage when not all of it features you, fuahahaha! XD

True Blue

Smash Lord
At 56 minutes he is playing Chazz.
And at 2 Hours and 26 Minutes he plays another Marth.
And the match following that is him playing against a Lucario. Though wasn't paying attention enough to know if it was the same person. Seemed close together so it probably was.
Then 3:26 against another Snake.
Then back against Chazz once more.

Thought I would throw the times out there since I was listening to it and could find the locations for ya.

True Blue

Smash Lord
Coolz just watched it. Second match made me sad for you. Watch out for Multi hit recoveries. Though when he misses a grab you could punish better based on the percents cause on the first match near the end you could have moved forward and FSmashed him instead of FTilt. Though thats all I could really see/find to critique about you in that video. Though try to gimp Link more! lol. Though I am bad at critiquing people so take what I say if you want or not.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Huh? I only homing attack to increase my recovery or do stylishly bad upthrow chasing

Top Bottom