• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Winning Steak Cinemas: Video Archive & Criticism Thread Updated

Tesh

Smash Hero
You don't have an SD card you can just upload the replays to mediafire? Nintendo always takes forever to get the registration done and actually load the replays onto my wii.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
I'm so slow I don't even know what mediafire is :(

I can definitely send you them through the WIi though...

My number is 2890-1279-6665-4294, so register me and I'll send you the replays ^_^

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
Mediafire is a free file hosting hosting site. You can store (pretty much) anything there and give the url for us to download a file. It's mostly how people give out textures, songs and all that jazz.

@MaverickZ: I don't think people will bother to critique unless you demand it.
Or unless you're Espy, _X_, Speed, K.I.D, Shado etc...

Tesh

Smash Hero
*ignored* :(
I'd say you were rolling past the lasers too much and Spindashing into aerials on shield alot. He was kind of screwing up his back air/up air oos, but its something to keep in mind. Spindash is pretty safe on shield if you just jump away and react to what they try to do.

When you approach through lasers, try to have a plan to get your hands on Falco. If you intend to approach with spindash, don't forget to maneuver vertically with ASC and SDJ to dodge lasers as you approach. You should approach with a run more often than a spindash vs Falco though. Sonic has a very damaging grab game against fast-fallers so consider that when choosing how to damage someone.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Nope.
He just has random videos scattered around.
Besides, any video with X in it is on the first page, more or less.

Arikie

Smash Journeyman
I've got videos....

around the 8-13 i was recovering from a bad strep throat-esk illness so ... meh johns johns johns.

all these are friendlies so... meh

(edit had another vid but it uploaded dumb =.= )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE1h9XUokPA arikie(sonic) vs 00zero(lucas)
I thought I knew this MU... johns

1 dollar MM with choice, this was before i got sick so no johns.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67rRH4a2OZk arikie(sonic) vs choice(wolf)

Don't remember who the mk is sorry. this was at a tourney before i was sick so... no johns
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d67vqK3ZwEs arikie(sonic) vs mk

and thats all. i'd like some critiques especially on my match with choice.
also any tips vs peach and mario would be great, been givin me a hard time lately tho i don't have vids.

Sonic-Rave

Smash Journeyman
On the third video, I say you got a little predictable in the beginning and the end. In the middle though, you did a good job on getting the kill despite being at high %.

With Wolf, it's not safe to try to grab him out of his b-air. If it's spaced well, it can lead you to getting punished instead of him.

I'm sorry I can't really be much more help. It's ironic though that I have the original of the song used on that stage on my wii. Would you mind telling me where you got the song?

Arikie

Smash Journeyman
The first video is only the first 3 seconds of a match.
fixed... sorry dont know what happened.

On the third video, I say you got a little predictable in the beginning and the end. In the middle though, you did a good job on getting the kill despite being at high %.

With Wolf, it's not safe to try to grab him out of his b-air. If it's spaced well, it can lead you to getting punished instead of him.

I'm sorry I can't really be much more help. It's ironic though that I have the original of the song used on that stage on my wii. Would you mind telling me where you got the song?
the file name is "touhou rock/metal 24"
I tried looking up the youtube video i got it from but its been removed. sorry.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HUqEaH58cI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz9BSGfV5c8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVv1mqPXDhE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS_88Hcl2MQ

Some kinda old matches with Tyrant's MK

http://www.youtube.com/user/VSKinzer#p/u/16/DyY3fAyqqX8
http://www.youtube.com/user/VSKinzer#p/u/11/ywZ4Wl_JUvg

Couple vids of my training parter Truth's MK

theres more in Kinzer's Channel but they havent been named yet.

http://www.youtube.com/user/VSKinzer

KID come bash me lol

but for real critiques would be really nice, I got my own but fresh thinking is a definite must. I always love talking about this matchup.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
*Snip.*

but for real critiques would be really nice, I got my own but fresh thinking is a definite must. I always love talking about this matchup.
Ugh yeah, I'm still very sorry it took me so long to get them up. :/ I'm not sure if you've already changed anything about your style on your own by now.

As for something I think that could be improved on, why is it that you never recover with Homing Attack? Do you never get put into a situation where you don't need the extra leeway or is it the people you play make it too risky to allow you to take that chance? I would know that it isn't particularly present in your matches, I had to watch them in order to record and upload them.

Hehe, that too was a pain. I forgot that if I didn't hit a button on the controller the screen would go black, then I'd have go back from the start and I'd be all like "Ah God d***!"

Arikie

Smash Journeyman
Alright here are two matches of me vs people from another site (so they're wifi)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXNYTw4MBr8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYMX9XLZp6U

critique

please
No one has anything to say about mine?

:(

1st vid vs dat ike.
I notice you spotdodge when you don't need to sometimes...( atleast at the beggining of the vid a couple times) try to watch out that can turn into a nasty habit and you're opponents will begin to eat you alive if you continue.

spring owns ike's recovery, it can stop his side B and up B and the trajectory usueally either sends him away or into the stage for a stage spike. its a good edgeguarding tool in this MU.

careful with airdodges coming down on ike... or coming down on ike in general lol. try to avoid situations where ur dlb jump is gone and ike can get under you.

i would advise against spindashing toward ike without a double jump to cancel the spindash, it seems he caught on and killed you.

idk how the heck you got through his uair with dair at 2:24 lol

at high percents you can get a few pummels in even on the most dexterous of strugglers. look at there controller to see if they struggle out of grabs lol.

2nd vid vs ddd
I'm actually not that great at this MU but i'll try and help anyways.
fair is one of you're best options vs ddd i think...
don't dash grab if they are in standing grab range =_=
dthrow against walls can setup for a jab lock, there are several times you can do this on delphino and the jablock can even lead to there death when the platform flies away without them. when DDD does up B, on his way down you can hit him without trading if you're really careful. also the beggining of you're up b has invincibily.... hmmmmm
DDDs utilt is really dumb =.= try to imagine its range and just stay out of it unless you can bait it or something. it has invincibility frames so you can't beat it with any of you're moves
ddd can litterally shield grab pretty much any move :urg:

what was the fsmash at 3:37 for?
thats all i got, nice sonic.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
yeah lol i stopped playing for a bit right before those matches took place Kinzer. Funny thing is i stopped playing a bit and my style has changed again. Check the Gdub replays i sent you. Experimenting is good haha.

Quick question; does anyone know how to consistently do the buffered pummel after u grab? That thing is amazing btw. I get it sometimes and it just gives so much easy damage. Another thing is if u play with ppl who buffer the grab break, it aids you in getting nearly assured pummels after 40 (maybe less or more?)

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Quick question; does anyone know how to consistently do the buffered pummel after u grab? That thing is amazing btw. I get it sometimes and it just gives so much easy damage. Another thing is if u play with ppl who buffer the grab break, it aids you in getting nearly assured pummels after 40 (maybe less or more?)
You'd probably be better off just having a rhythm to your pummels. Every time Sonic taps his foot on the ground, that's it.

Unless you meant getting in a buffered pummel as soon as you grab?

If you meant that, then I'm really at a loss. I can't think of anything other than double-tapping the grab button.

Though the grab button itself for me is real finicky. I've just been doing shield grabs and pummel with my attack button. That thing has a mind of its own I swear.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I do the buffered pummel out of grabs often, but only when I'm 100% positive that the grab is gonna land.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Can you tell me when exactly to press the attack button for the pummel? I always have an easier time doing it out of dash grabs for some reason. However I would want to get something like that at a higher consistency. Definitely I would only do it when i believe the grab is going to land. Its just maaddd good, and i guess i kind of overlooked the importance of buffered grab until my friends started doing the MikeHaze/ Ally grab break. Usually if u time the others pummels and get a buffered pummel as well you get around 2 pummels starting mid late percent.

Its too good. Now Espy, drop the info.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
whenever pikapika does something laggy against me, like when I shield pikachus down smash, he preemtively starts mashing like crazy because he knows that a grab is my preferred punish of choice.

he makes it really hard to pummel him.

I remember when I used to play ddd, I couldnt consistently get the CG timing right, so i used to just double tap the grab button so that works.

with sonic, you might as well just hit the A button right after you hit the z button. since if you whiff, youre going to be int eh grab whiff lag anyway, so its not like preemtively hitting the pummel button is going to hurt you in anyway.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
yeah preemptive mashing owns hard. Which is why i stopped pummeling for a time.

KID! Critique me son! I have been waiting. O and that vid u had vs a pika was tyte btw.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
1. You just seem gimmicky as all hell. You did jab to f smash 3 times straight at one point. Now while I AM gonna steal that. it just seemed really janky that he got hit by it after you already did it 3 times in a row.

2. You create a lot of unique traps and things like that. But you seem blind to the traps that your opponents set for you. You would airdodge when the MK tried to shuttle loop you but then you would DI AWAY from the MK when you SHOULD know that after the shuttle loop he glides toward you anyway, setting up some really free glide attacks.

3. You are so spin intensive. You need to work on your aerial and grab follow up game.

4. because you were so spin heavy, it seemed like you wouldnt even attempt a move with out spin canceling once or twice first. which led to a. you missing out on a lot of pressure oppurtunities fo more damage. and b. you at times got comboed and edgeguarded way more than was necessary just because you were had it so stuck in your mind what move you wanted to do next.

You were getting hit/beat because you were commiting to stuff in your mind, with a character that almost never has to commit to a move.

you also need to grab more, youre natural game play in those vids leads to more grabs than you actually attempt. you seem to hesitate in going for them probably due to thinking that you wont make it to where they are in times so you end up approaching with a running shield.

also, multiple spotdodges doesnt work on MK

you did however do some cute stuff like walking grab out of shield to punish the down smash. thats going to help me a lot. and having the correct spacing on f smashing people that try to do invincible aerials from the ledge.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
yeah i know multiple spotdodges dont work. I was just being dumb vs a good player. Yeah its funny because ill either be very run based or spin based and im trying to meld them together.

Commitment part is very true and is a dumb habit that tends to rear its head every now and then. My grab follow ups have sucked as of late because of my recent spin heavy escapades. I get to a point with some players sometimes where my grab shenanigans just dont seem to work so i stop all together. VERY bad move on my part.

I have some more recent vids with Gdubs that Kinzer will get up soon( this week hopefully). Theres one vid where i just forced myself to play grab heavy. See what i can do with that mindset. What grab follow ups work best for you KID?

And yeah that Shuttle Loop>Glide attack trap is so silly. One minute i love it because it means free aerials for me. Next minute im ADing away like a moron to get hit again.

Some dumb gimmicks work. Especially when ppl are so set on OMG SONIC FSMASH TO0 SL0W. It was just an interruption poke. Fighting game basics. Ppl dont really use it in brawl so much for some reason. owns dash options alot of the times.

And what am I missing from my aerial game? Definitely glad you replied.

EDIT: Oh and when i played with M2K, spin heavy is what definitely held me in our matches. Ive just never been comfortable enough in my grab game in higher levels of play. Suggestions would definitely help

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
well you just have to understand the opponents options.

when you up throw somebody at 0. their options are:

Jump away
dair
airdodge.

as long as your good at buffering your moves, full jump up air beats the first two options every time. unless youre fightign falco, or somebody else with a dair that just eats other peoples attacks.

and if you have conditioned them to airdodge, than all you have to do is, pretty much anykind of quick no commitment move, ( a quick side b cancel is very good for this, I think i got that from X) and they will AD on instinct, at which point its a free grab on their landing and you can feel free to restart the entire situation. Such is the nature of the KID Cg.

against lighter characters, around 80 or so, you can hit metaknight with a down throw, and than either walk forward or do a quick foxtrot into an f smash, and if they roll forward its a free kill. If they roll any other direction it doesnt really matter because a. they cant punish the f smash, and b. if you can predict it you can just run to where they are and grab them again.

also, another problem I see with a TON of sonics, is that they dont gauge their up throw knockback correctly. if they dont DI, theres a proper vertical height for you to follow them at all times. people just instantly do grounded spring and try to up air when they opponent is CLEARLY out of that knockback range.

Here, Ill even make a little chart for you guys to use. this is how it would work for an average size character, like mario. the percents arent exact but it will give you a great basis to start with.
up throw at 80-90% - jump instant up b double hit up air. (aerial spring doesnt go as high as grounded spring. (may or may not kill)
90-100 - grounded spring, double hit up air. (may or may not kill)
100-110: grounded spring, single hit up air.
120-135: Full jump, spring, single hit up air.
140-145: VSDJ, spring, single hit up air.
150-160: jump, double jump, spring, single hit up air.
160-170: VSDJ, double jump, spring, single hit up air.
170+: You cant physically get high enough to catch them so just pummel release them, if you can get a few pummels off, youre better off getting some % in without letting them get too far away, and than going for the grab at 190 or so to kill with the up throw flat out.

please note that this is not exact and doesnt account for different weights and DI, since if you DI better, you wont go as high up. but thats good to start with. All im saying is that you have to know how high up they are going to go so you can choose the correct option to get to that same height and attempt the kill move. too many times I see a sonic choose the wrong option and just let a perfectly good kill attempt proverbially not even get off the ground because they dont use the options correctly to get to the same height as the opponent.

also, once you condition your opponent to DI the up throw behind you, you can start pulling off the KID combo, aka f throw spring up air. and for that you basically just take the chart I just gave you and add 20% to all those numbers due to f throw KB being noticibly weaker than up throw.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
I have a problem with uthrow at 0%. FH uair, the first hit whiffs when buffered. Its a bad habit to buffer things like that. I think the only way it beats out those options is if you slightly wait to uair. Its definitely dependent on the character. (itd be nice to have a chart for that... at least for top and high tier)

As far as spring goes, I am aware of all of that. Alot of times i knowingly spring past them and uair. Usually you can gauge how a person will react to the next move by doing so as dumb as it is. Then i usually return to the ground by dair ( you shouldve spring the direction opposing your opponents DI UNLESS you are aware that they love to AD or have a bad uair or its a mixup ) then by that time most characters around 90-100 will be in range for a quick FH or DJ bair for a kill. Or if they are seen ff dsmash and a up aimed fsmash does wonders ( or you can run to a safe distance and charge SDR for a landcamp kill via SDR>bair).

i love the DDP SDSC for regrabs. Again i need to put that back into my game (SDSC bait after grab) because it is quite amazing; sets me up for a KID CG (lol freakin KID) or my great ASC shenanigans OoS.

And seriously KID, im pretty sure uthrow> buffered utilt is guaranteed on falco. That needs to be checked. seriously

KID combo sounds legit.

But yeah i love my spring mindgames, spring kills are cool, but man we are soo good at landcamping and spring mixups make ppl forget. too fun. I need to dthrow more! I keep assuming ppl will tech it, ( Dao used to do it so early in the metagame, that *******) so i stop. that thing is amazing.

Give me some more KID throwing and aerial strats. this is not enough

Top Bottom