• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Wofl House (Video Thread)

tekkie

Smash Master
lol who cares about the song. Thats Dakpo's music not mine :p lol yeah I kept using ledge attack ALOT..
a lot of the time opponents will hang out by the ledge and start shielding once any animation starts to punish getup attack/ledge drop double jump to the stage/get straight up you need to be ballsy to get back safely

Tyler_ACE

Smash Cadet
lol who cares about the song. Thats Dakpo's music not mine :p lol yeah I kept using ledge attack ALOT..
After grabbing the ledge, try pressing back and then jump back then use ur over-special to hit them. U'll need to work on the spacing a little, but people wont expect it if u mix it up. I'll try to get a video of it if u need one :D but make sure that ur almost level with the stage or u'll just re-grab the ledge lol

Arrows

Smash Journeyman
Don't scar too much, once a match is enough cause everyone expects it out of wolf.
drop down jump fair is decent, as is laser planking.
Lightstep to grab is also effective against those pesky shielders.

You're fairing alot

Try retreat fair.

I also noticed you fished for kills.
If his di wasn't miserable, he would have lived till like 150% cause I noticed all you tried to do when you were down a stock was dsmash

Don't do that, bait more.

Tyler_ACE

Smash Cadet
Don't scar too much, once a match is enough cause everyone expects it out of wolf.
drop down jump fair is decent, as is laser planking.
Lightstep to grab is also effective against those pesky shielders.

You're fairing alot

Try retreat fair.

I also noticed you fished for kills.
If his di wasn't miserable, he would have lived till like 150% cause I noticed all you tried to do when you were down a stock was dsmash

Don't do that, bait more.
True that. I only use Dsmash on pesky dodge rollers lol. but if u find that they dodgeroll A LOT then change ur spacing to punish when their invincibility frames run out

Gah777

Smash Lord
Alright, I watched the first 2 Olimar matches so far and here's what I see:

-Space b-airs better

-Blaster from a safer range, you would often blaster right in his face. I'm pretty sure at this range the opponent comes out with the frame advantage and could punish you easily.

-Like Arrows said, camp more vs Olimar, Wolf actually outcamps him. Blaster gets the Pikmin off.

-Learn to autocancel your f-airs

-Stop using n-air so much. It has decent priority and the initial hit has pretty good knockback, but it has no range and after the first hit practically no hitstun.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Approaching with Shad's aren't good in general because you leave yourself incredibly open. I wouldn't use it verse Olimar at all because it gets grabbed too easily. Also, Ac dem fairs.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I disapprove of such superficial critique as "use less Nair" or "don't approach with SHAD". Brawl is hardly a game of absolutes - a SHAD can be really good and effective as a bait if used correctly. It's not helpful to say "don't use this option" when it can turn out in the player's favor. If anything point out what to do in its place instead or in which situation to use the option.

Looking at the Peach matches because I know too little about the Olimar match-up:

- Become more familiar with Wolf's options. At ~0:22 you missed an opportunity to punish correctly because you didn't seem to understand how Nair works and what its hitboxes are like. At ~2:10 you missed a guaranteed AAA combo because you didn't seem to know that aerial Shine -> AAA is a true combo. Occasionally you would try to shine turnips - this is a bait you shouldn't fall for. The purpose of the shine is not to reflect items but to cover other long-ranged projectiles and as a move to interrupt the opponent. Z-catching them or using fair is safer - upon read you can even punish with DACUS. That's not something to worry about - play Wolf more and over time you'll get a feeling for these things.

- Your defensive patterns are predictable! Notice how many times your spotdodges were punished and in what situations - many times you would spotdodge when she was floating towards you, which led to free damage. Around ~3:05 and at the beginning of the second game she could easily cross-up pivot grab you even though Peach has a mediocre Dash and one of the slowest pivot grabs. That should tell you a lot about your habits!
Try to replace spotdodges with other moves: Jumpshine is a solid replacement that can lead into a guaranteed AAA on hit. Simply walking away is a good tool too as Wolf has a very good walk and walking is very safe in general. As long as the opponent isn't in a neutral position on the ground rolling works too.

- Watch where you land. Way too many times you would try to land next to your opponent, sometimes with Shine, sometimes with airdodge. It's easier for your opponent to space his moves correctly when he is on the ground making it easy for him to catch you in your landing lag. Use Wolf's fine aerial mobility to land away from your opponent.

- You took a lot of damage because your approaches were too obvious. An approach isn't good if it's easily identified as such - try to cloak them more. I've seen Peach land way too many fairs and other aerials because she could easily intercept your approach attempts. If you know this to be the case try to bait her aerials on your part and punish them - empty short hops are your friends here. Mix in more grounded approaches - walking grab [ideally tippered], walking tilts, short hop fake-outs. There are infinite options to approach with so you shouldn't limit yourself to a handful!

:059:

Laem

Smash Champion
I particularly agree with the first bit

isnt jumpshine always a rising one tho(so no AAA out of js)
otherwise it would be a ...landshine

and if you reflect something with shine u can jumpcancel it
tricky timing but worth it if you're gonna reflect.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I particularly agree with the first bit

isnt jumpshine always a rising one tho(so no AAA out of js)
otherwise it would be a ...landshine

and if you reflect something with shine u can jumpcancel it
tricky timing but worth it if you're gonna reflect.
Not always. A short hop Jumpshine can combo into AAA, but doing a short hop one is quite difficult.

A short hop Jumpshine also combos into first hit of Nair. Try it on someone fat to see what I mean.

I can't do a short hop Jumpshine with L as jump, which is what I use for Jumpshining and Full hop lasering. I can try clawing with my regular X button as jump, but that is harder to pull off.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
No. It's only the first hit of Nair that'll work, which is the gtfo hit and not the repetitive stun hits.

D3 you can still do things like Fthrow>Buffer Dtilt>Dacus (If they trip) at 0.

JCav

Smash Lord
Seagull, I think you may be mistaken about shine>first hit Nair combo. From my experiences, that only works on the Sandbag in the Wifi waiting room. O.o

I just like to do it after kills cuz it's flashy :)

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Seagull, I think you may be mistaken about shine>first hit Nair combo. From my experiences, that only works on the Sandbag in the Wifi waiting room. O.o

I just like to do it after kills cuz it's flashy :)
It works. JJ use to do that to me all the time on Wi-Fi. It's a jumpshined short hop shine. If you just short hop and shine then it won't work.

PaNiC!

Smash Apprentice
forgot to say thanks for all the critiques!! I've been reviewing the matches/critiques and working on all of it. Hope to have more matches up soon.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Hey guys. Just stopping by to let you know that the archives were updated.
Again, please post in the format I've asked. It makes updates MUCH faster, I guarantee it.

And since I haven't done so yet, thousands of <333s to Ishi for making such a monster post a few pages back.

If you ever come to Texas, I'mma buy you dinner. :3

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Aww :3 You're so nice Espy, always offering to buy people dinner lol xD

I should get started on the more recent videos, but I have a lot of stuff to do until this weekend, so best-case scenario is I'll have some things done then... but... so lazyyyyyyyyyy ;___________________;

@ everyone I wrote stuff for: Thanks for all of the positive feedback :) It took a lot of time, but it was definitely worth it if everyone got something out of it ;D

Laem

Smash Champion
all ima say right now gheb is that i definitely do not approve of ur upB usage
dont u ever get ledgehogged for that at all?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Can't remember getting ledge hogged in a long time. I also see only 1, MAYBE 2 occasions where he could've hogged me, without me being able to avoid it.

Up-B's are getting gimped if you recover from below ... it hardly happens when you recover into the ledge from the side.

Laem

Smash Champion
any good player (for real lol, LP seemed extra bad these matches) edgehogs that on reaction for a guaranteed punish
point im trying to make tho
just use side b
ESP when they hang on the edge
just semiscar through(do we still use that term?) should be safe

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I trust your opinion, Tonie. I still don't see more than 2 openings where it could've happened. I'll watch out for it in the future though.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I have class, but main things I've seen from the first 1.5 matches is DI and MC, don't die so early D: That and choose your OoS punishes better when your opponent is at 150%, nair won't kill them from the middle of the stage but maybe usmash/fair will, and that would've meant the difference between winning and losing game 1 D:

More to come later obviously :p I just wanted to say a bit while I had the time. Also, the jab > dsmash at the end of the first game that you tried, at higher %s most people tend to get shield-happy unless you have something like Ness' bthrow, so you have more success going in with grabs. Just something to generally keep in mind I suppose ;D

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I can't do fair / Usmash OoS. Practiced it for 2 month straight ... no progress at all :(

TMT

Smash Rookie
you shouldn't side b recover on stage I think. you did it several times and many times LP had the possibility to punish you.
first time I see your wolf ^_^

Top Bottom