• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide The Yo-yo Glitch: Cracked. (Update: FAQ now in first post)

VilNess

Smash Champion
Thomas Tipman said:
oh and the funniest thing i thought is if you equip a thunder jacket and have kirby try to swallow you. rofl it made me laugh my *** off when i first saw it, now we know kirby cant handle spicy foods. :embarrass :mad:
Hahaha! one funny thing I remembered is when I had thunderjacket Link grabbed me from a distance. it was like the scorpion in mortal kombat one did the "GET OVER HERE" thing instantly changed "GET THE F*** AWAY FROM ME!"

Thomas Tipman

Smash Champion
VilNess said:
Hahaha! one funny thing I remembered is when I had thunderjacket Link grabbed me from a distance. it was like the scorpion in mortal kombat one did the "GET OVER HERE" thing instantly changed "GET THE F*** AWAY FROM ME!"
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, "GET THE **** AWAY FROM ME" hahahahaha, too good. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

well off to work it is (in 30 mins) that post oughta keep a smirk on my face as my co-workers keep assuming im on drugs on the job. :laugh:

heh, get the **** away from me.

Shwn

Smash Journeyman
I'm kinda curious if you've guys have tested different versions as well. Also i'm still not completely understanding the process of the YYG: Thunder Jacket. What starts it up? And what are the fun things you can do to play with it? Regarding hitboxes and whatnot...

VilNess

Smash Champion
Look guys, if it works in the european (IOW: the latest version of SSBM) it works in every american version out there!
and the YYG took me time to get down too, and occasionally I mess it up too, like charge too much or be too close to edge while charging it etc. just practise, will ya?

(I´m not trying to sound angry, I´m seeing if my agressive approach works better.)

VilNess

Smash Champion
theoretically, no.
practically, yes.
See my sig how to do dsmash YYG (although im not 100% sure about myself, but pretty close to it)
also you can use dsmash for extented jackets, but then you can´t chain them (only theoritaclly can since dsmash YYG is filthy hard)

Bones0

Smash Legend
Same here but I can see how your frustrated. You figure out some kind of super glitch and some people can't get it to work. For me, 3 times I set the hitbox but when the enemy walked over it they just popped up in the air w/o me attacking. I suggest you make a step-by-step list of what to do exactly if its not too much trouble. Thx.

Reik

Smash Ace
The timing can be difficult until you have it memorized. IIRC there's only a 6-frame opening for laying the trap box: 1/10th of a second. (Not to mention you have to be within a very specific tenth of a second.)

I don't know if the guide mentions this, but spacing is important. You want to be close enough so that the strong part of the Yo-Yo hits (while it's coming out). If you hit while it's creeping forward during the charging animation and you didn't get decent knockback, you did it wrong.

As for the timing, this might be helpful. You have to hold it long enough so that Ness flashes yellow once and only once. In fact, if you let go as soon as you see him flash, you should be pretty close to the timing.

Watch one of the PK Thunder Guides or one of VilNess's vids for a visual.

This is what I did so that the dumb CP player wouldn't walk on the trap box while I was practicing:

Set the CP (I chose Roy, but that doesn't really matter) to Walk mode. Then run up behind him while he's walking away from you and jump-cancel into a slightly-charged Up-smash. He should DI away from you and keep walking. After you've hit, press Start and set the CP to stand.

If you got the timing, you've now got a dummy to practice whatever YYG trick you want on.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Reik said:
The timing can be difficult until you have it memorized. IIRC there's only a 6-frame opening for laying the trap box: 1/10th of a second. (Not to mention you have to be within a very specific tenth of a second.)

I don't know if the guide mentions this, but spacing is important. You want to be close enough so that the strong part of the Yo-Yo hits (while it's coming out). If you hit while it's creeping forward during the charging animation and you didn't get decent knockback, you did it wrong.

As for the timing, this might be helpful. You have to hold it long enough so that Ness flashes yellow once and only once. In fact, if you let go as soon as you see him flash, you should be pretty close to the timing.

Watch one of the PK Thunder Guides or one of VilNess's vids for a visual.

This is what I did so that the dumb CP player wouldn't walk on the trap box while I was practicing:

Set the CP (I chose Roy, but that doesn't really matter) to Walk mode. Then run up behind him while he's walking away from you and jump-cancel into a slightly-charged Up-smash. He should DI away from you and keep walking. After you've hit, press Start and set the CP to stand.

If you got the timing, you've now got a dummy to practice whatever YYG trick you want on.
Thanks! This helps a lot! Lol I was charging the yo yo fully! Well now to practice this.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Let me get this straight because I can't seem to do it. I've done it twice out of hundreds of tries and the comp keeps popping up when he walks over the hitbox. It seems to happen when I roll away from the hitbox but I probably am hitting "A" by accident or something.

1. While close to enemy, use U-Smash until Ness flashes yellow while making sure he doesn't hit twice.
2. Set a comp to Walk. (suggested: Roy)
3. JC into a slightly charged U-Smash. (This is what I don't understand.)
4. After the comp lands set them to Stand.
5. Perform YYG trick.

Questions: Does rolling have an effect on the hitbox or do the comps normally pop up after hitting them? For Step #3 do you mean DJC, land, and then do the U-Smash? What "trick" would you suggest doing? (I've been trying the bat and it's only worked twice)
Sorry for all of the questions but I'm paranoid that I'm screwing something up.

Reik

Smash Ace
Er... heh. You added an extra step. Step 3 is supposed to be Step 2. This is how it should look:

1. Set a comp to Walk. (suggested: Roy)
2. JC into a slightly charged U-Smash until Ness flashes yellow while making sure he doesn't hit twice.
3. Set comp to stand.
4. Perform YYG trick.

First of all, JCing (Jump cancelling) is not the same as DJCing (Double-jump Cancelling). I think this might be the other point where you were confused.

What I meant was, run until you are right behind Roy, then Smash Up + A. You should stop running and immediately do an Upsmash. That's all I meant.

Answers: Rolling does not affect the hitbox in any way. The comps will always pop up when they walk into the hitbox. For the different tricks, read through the pages of this thread.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
EVERYONE: Watch PK THunder Guides Volume 1 and Volume 2

Volume 1= WRONG WAY(practical in only a few ways and overall more difficult, but it has its moments)
Volume 2= RIGHT WAY(most practical and best way)

VilNess

Smash Champion
Yeah, do what Simna says.
I kinda agree with the Volume way 1 of showing the YYG.
this is good because if you screw up the better type of upsmash YYG, often time the weak hit will still clank with your enemys counterattack and save you. Also weak hits are good against players who know about YYG more than enough ;) because they tend to forget about it.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
You can't get the hitbox to drop?

For those of you having trouble getting the hitbox to drop, im here to save you. I spent the past three hours trying to understand what 3 different people did to create the YYG before getting it to work myself.

Seemingly the easiest way to understand and do the YYG (This is for the people who have never done this before)
1a) Go to Melee, Pick Marth as an opponent and choose Final Destination
1b) Practice charging the Up-Smash and watch as the Yo-Yo comes out, then rolls out a little bit and charges up. The key to timing this is to hit the opponent with the Yo-Yo that comes out BEFORE it starts rolling at them. If you hit them like this, they should fly diagonally upwards as to not get hit by the Yo-Yo rolling out further.
2) Position yourself to be spaced apart from Marth by one of ness's body lengths + a few hairs. In other words, you should be standing 1 body length's distance from Marth.
3a) Start the charge of your Up-Smash (you must charge it, for just a little bit, but it must be charged). When you do this, you should see the animation of the Yo-Yo rolling out. Marth should the be sent into the air because he was hit with the first hitbox of the yo-yo (the first part before it starts rolling further)
3b) Then you should release the charge of the smash to return the Yo-Yo to ness. The important part of this is to let the Yo-Yo roll out further, to its full extent, but not charge up (if it charges it will turn yellow). This means to NOT return the Yo-Yo until it has rolled out completely. (This rolling out comepletely can be considered the dropping of the second hitbox/trapbox)
4) Congrats you have done it (hopefully). Now just remember where you dropped the trapbox.

Note: At first you may not succeed, I didn't, but just keep adjusting to timing on steps 3a and 3b till it works

Testing if it worked:
To test if you did this correctly, position yourself so that the opponent is between the hitbox you dropped (should be right next to where you Up-Smashed) and you. Then simply do the Bat Smash attack facing away from the opponent (it doesnt matter how far away from the opponent you are)

Keypoints:
- The Yo-Yo from the Up-Smash rolls out of his pocket, then rolls out a little further a second time, a total of two rollings with a slight pause in between. The key to timing is to hit the opponent at this pause, before the second roll.
- Once you hit the opponent, do not immediatly retrack the Yo-Yo (by uncharging the smash) or it will not drop the hitbox. It is best to retrack when the Yo-Yo extends to its fullest length without letting it charge up (You know it charges up when it turns yellow).
- If your opponent walks over the hitbox or if you attack (with some exceptions) the trapbox will go away.
- Practice makes perfect (or near perfect)

Hoped this helped ^^

Shwn

Smash Journeyman
First I just wanna say thanks to VilNess, Reik, Simna ibn Sind, and Arruz for trying to explain this to us.

I've tried to do this. I've used the DK example that Dan Smith had mentioned at the beginning of this topic. I had DK at 150%. But I guess I didn't realize untill now that I had to let go of the yo yo sooner because I did stand far enough away from him and him get the light hits of the yo yo 2-3 times. I may be doing this right without even knowing it because I didn't know that what I was doing was in fact laying the hit box. I thought I put on the thunder jacket and to test if I had indeed been doing it I would run into the CP. I was put under the impretion of this from Simna's Vol. 2 video.

But the main thing is to let the yo yo go when ness flashes yellow? And how can you move around the hit box and as well as putting on the Thunder Jacket?

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I watched the video as well and personally I believe its impossible to learn how to do this just by watching, unless you already knew about the timing of the glitch or were insane enough to spend hours trying by yourself.

As for equiping the Thunder Jacket and moving the trap box, I haven't successfully figured out the steps used to do this, though i have done it 2 times so far (dont know exactly what i did, but i did it). So when i find out Ill let you know. (And by equiping the Thunder Jacket, Im talking about equiping any of the jackets because it seems there are different kinds

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
Simna@GameFAQs said:
Go to training mode with Ness vs. Ganon on FD

set ganon to STAND at 0%

Now put ganon in the middle of the arena(not required but u might as well)

walk up to ganon's face and upsmash him...dont cstick it...use the control stick and charge it just a little

ganon should pop up high and away....after just a TINY bit of charge release the yoyo(the release should NOT hit ganon)

Now...you have set the glitch

I'll start you off with the SPIKE JACKET: After setting the glitch, SHFFLC DAIR

STAR JACKET: After setting the glitch, DjCFFLC UAIR(DjCFFLC is like SHFFLC, but replace the SHORT HOP with a DOUBLE JUMP CANCEL)

THUNDER JACKET: After setting the glitch, jump into the air and hit yourself with PK Thunder(PK THUNDER2) straight into the floor OR run off the stage and PK THUNDER2 right into the ledge.

DEADLINE: After setting the glitch, remember where you set it and then go to your opponent. Get you opponent between you and the place where you set the glitch(That area is the DEADZONE). Any attack uses with create a DEADLINE that cuts straight thru the DEADZONE in 1 frame and hits anything that it touches. So if Ganondorf is in between you and where u set the glitch(DEADZONE) the DEADLINE will hit him.

DEADLINES cannot be created using: PK FIRE, PK FLASH, PK THUNDER, PSI MAGNET( any other attack will work including PK THUNDER2)

I hope this works for you^_^

Shwn

Smash Journeyman
Different kinds!? :psycho:

Thanks for the effort Arruz. If any of you Ness players know exactly what your doing, info would be nice.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Cool thanks for the different kinds of Jackets, I've experienced all but the star. Also I would like to know what these jackets do.

What they do:

Spike Jacket: Stores the DAIR attack into the trapbox and moves it into ness's body. When you walk into a player they will be hit by the spike attack you stored in yourself, ultimately doing damage and sending them downward (or upward if they are on the ground).

Star Jacket: Unkown (Havent done it yet)

Thunder Jacket: Stores the Thunder2 attack into the trapbox and moves it into ness's body. When you walk into a player they will be hit by the attack of the Thunder2 you stored in yourself, ultimately doing 25% damage and sending them flying away (very fun)

You can also combine Jackets, though im not sure exactly how this works, but i have made the Spike Thunder Jacket so that instead of the Thunder jacket only cancelling one attack it can cancel several attacks from hitting my body.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Arruz said:
Cool thanks for the different kinds of Jackets, I've experienced all but the star. Also I would like to know what these jackets do.

What they do:

Spike Jacket: Stores the DAIR attack into the trapbox and moves it into ness's body. When you walk into a player they will be hit by the spike attack you stored in yourself, ultimately doing damage and sending them downward (or upward if they are on the ground).

Star Jacket: Unkown (Havent done it yet)

Thunder Jacket: Stores the Thunder2 attack into the trapbox and moves it into ness's body. When you walk into a player they will be hit by the attack of the Thunder2 you stored in yourself, ultimately doing 25% damage and sending them flying away (very fun)

You can also combine Jackets, though im not sure exactly how this works, but i have made the Spike Thunder Jacket so that instead of the Thunder jacket only cancelling one attack it can cancel several attacks from hitting my body.
^^That sounds interesting but I thought trying to set another trapbox would make the other one fly over to you. :confused: I'll try some stuff tomorrow though.
Thanks everyone. I can set trapboxes pretty often but I still need to work on my timing. I was SH'ing into my D-Airs instead of DJC'ing.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Bones0 said:
^^That sounds interesting but I thought trying to set another trapbox would make the other one fly over to you. :confused: I'll try some stuff tomorrow though.
Thanks everyone. I can set trapboxes pretty often but I still need to work on my timing. I was SH'ing into my D-Airs instead of DJC'ing.
The jackets can only be equiped "after setting the glitch" <--- this does not mean you have to set it each time, just set it and then equip both jackets. I normally do Spike then Thunder. Still cant get the star to work

Bones0

Smash Legend
Thx Arruz. So you do the YYG, DJC a D-Air, and floorblast/sweetspot the ledge. Now I get it.
Wait, which one will you attack with first? Would it be the one you set first?

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
Simna ibn Sind said:
Spike Jacket&Star Jacket: These are similar to the thunder jacket except that they are faster and weaker. The spike jacket equips the hitbox of ness' dair to his body while the star jacket equips the uair. These are equipped by simply DjCfflcing these moves(u dont really need to LC, but why not) so u land just after the hitbox comes out(it will make that sound that ness' uair and dair make when they come out) after setting up the yyg. This is much faster than putting on the thunder jacket, but it does deal less damage(but come on! YOU CAN SPIKE THEM!)

Extended Jackets: When you have a jacket equipped your upsmash and downsmash(the yoyo) becomes whatever attack is equipped. You can use this to get a bit of extra range for your jacket, but beware, if you miss with the yoyo then your jacket disappears.

Yoyo Glitch Replenish: Remember how you can only use a single attack with the YYG? That's now out the window. With any of the jacket techniques you can chain yyg onto each other and always have a jacket equipped that will hit your opponent. Simply equip a jacket, then use upsmash(see: Extended jackets) to hit them with the hitbox. At the same time that they are being hit the yoyo creates a new yyg hitbox which you can quickly use to equip a new jacket(spike or star) with plenty of time to spare. This also works with thunder jacket if you get the time. Imagine you have the star jacket on and your opponent is Samus at 150%. You upsmash her and she dies off the top from the jacket....this gives you ample time to equip the thunder jacket...then when she comes back to life: let her have it...or continue the replenish chain^_^

Hanger: This one isn't an attack technique really. Its simply cycling thru jackets. once you have the yyg setup and you equip a jacket you can change jackets simply by doing what is needed to equip them. So if you set up yyg then DjCfflc uair then dair then uair you will have the star jacket on, but if u follow that with an aerial floorblast then you will have the thunder jacket.

Jacket Combos: BEWARE! Any attack you use after a jacket hit will not hit your opponent(unless its another jacket)...except fair. This means that while you can still combo from jackets, the move immediately after the jacket must be forward air. (this isnt a problem really....i kinda like it^_^)

Ness is top tier.
Recap from a few pages ago: Jackets can't be combined(see Hanger). Star Jacket is for uair. Jacket combos CAN be followed up with moves other than fair, but you need to do a quick jab or dtilt before following up.

Oh yeah and for those who were wondering, you can see from this quote that yes, Ness is in fact top tier.^_^

Noski

Smash Rookie
So is that vid ever gonna come out or what, Simna? ; )

I have a hard time getting the jackets on.. I think seeing most of these demonstrated would shut a lot of people up with their "how do you.." questions, which would then put them doing these and ultimately everyone will be doing more research into these yyg / jacket related findings.

Everyone learns more and everyone benefits in the end.

_marth1_

Smash Lord
ok so im not sure i know what I am talking about, but can you equip the jacket that zaps someone when thehy touch ness, equip that in his break the targets stage, and what happens? can you break all ten targets with it on?

T Bird

Smash Apprentice
I wonder, can anyone here even see my posts or are they in invisable ink? ANyhow. THx for all this hard work. However I am wondering how often this glitch actualy becomes useful? From what I heard it's extremely hard to set a trap box on a human opponent anyway, and if you do you have to set a jacket quik so that they don't walk over it and make it disapear. then every time you set it they only have to touch you with their sheild up and it's gone. What happens if you grab them? Is your grab range greater than your hit box? Also for a note on the star Jacket I posted how to do that easily in depth about two pages back (I assume it works since I can't actually pull off the glictch)

Bones0

Smash Legend
T Bird said:
I wonder, can anyone here even see my posts or are they in invisable ink? ANyhow. THx for all this hard work. However I am wondering how often this glitch actualy becomes useful? From what I heard it's extremely hard to set a trap box on a human opponent anyway, and if you do you have to set a jacket quik so that they don't walk over it and make it disapear. then every time you set it they only have to touch you with their sheild up and it's gone. What happens if you grab them? Is your grab range greater than your hit box? Also for a note on the star Jacket I posted how to do that easily in depth about two pages back (I assume it works since I can't actually pull off the glictch)
Okay where should I begin? I can see your posts. It is useful. If someone says it's hard it's because they are some n00b who tried for 10 minutes then gave up. It takes a long time to get the hang of it. You will need to practice a lot before you can do it in a battle against any decent human but it is worth it. Yes, because of the YYG Ness now has the longest known grab range as long as the enemy is between you and the trapbox. This is called the "Death Line". I can't help you with the Star Jacket because I can't do it yet either.

Example of How the YYG Helps You:
I'm Ness against a Marth at FD in the largest MLG tourny ever in the last match of the championship. My back is facing the edge with Marth charging at me fast. I whip out my yoyo and successfully set a trapbox on the edge of the stage. Slightly stunned by the yoyo, Marth gets back up and starts a F-Smash for a tipper KO. Remembering that the trapbox is on the edge of the stage I figure out how to trick the Marth into walking over it. I jump backwards over the edge and begin recovering with PK Thunder 2. Marth thinks to himself about how I'm such a n00b for doing that and starts charging his B for the winning KO. I let loose on the PK Thunder 2 and because Marth was in the trapbox at the time it hits him even though I'm halfway off the stage. Marth flies off the screen in an electrical death and screams at me "WTF! You cheated!" :mad: I laugh in his face and scream "It's called the yoyo glitch n00b!" :laugh: As the crowd cheers, the head of MLG comes up and places a medal around my neck and hands me $5,000,000.

That is just one example of how the YYG can help you in everyday life. OK, maybe not everyday lif but you get the point.
PS: That Marth was Ken by the way. :chuckle:

kaid

Smash Master
hell, I can't do it consistantly against humans, but that doesn't stop me from having fun on Yoshi Island in FFA- Glitch off a center block, equip spike, hanger to Thunder, and go around hitting all 9 blocks and three opponents.

I main M2 and occasionally Falco, but this is FUN.

Bones0

Smash Legend
New Information on the YYG (I hope)

This might already be known but if it isn't I think it could be a lot of help in pulling off the YYG easier. We know that if you DJC so you D-Air close to the ground then you set a Spike Jacket. Well about 5 minutes ago I was wondering if you had to DJC. It turns out you don't. I did two full jumps and used my D-Air right as I was landing so it seemed like I was "attacking the ground". I walked over to the comp and he popped up as if he had been hit with a D-Air just like normal. You might think this doesn't help much but I think it does. Let's say you were coming back to the stage on your second jump. You had just set a trapbox so you D-Air as you recover and land just in time to Gitch D-Air your opponent. This also might work with just one jump so I plan to test that too. It might not be really helpful but it gives you another option in your arsenal. Also, if someone doesn't know a lot about the glitch, just the basics, they won't think you have a Spike Jacket on but then they're in for a nasty surprise. :chuckle:

VilNess

Smash Champion
Hey yo guys.
Ithink YYG is useful.
I kinda have sometimes forogt it from my game but it´s good to recall it.
for example I smashed Luigi up with yoyo. I put on spike jacket but I saw he is middle of FD so spike jacket wasn´t good.
then I go and put on start jacket, jump on him and voilá!
I love star jacket. it is becoming my favourite one.
btw. I don´t DjC the start jacket, I kinda shuffle it, except off course I don´t start doing the uair until almost when I´ve landed.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Cool. I need to work on the Star Jacket and that strategy will help because I can't seem to do it while SH'ing or DJC'ing. Also, I thought if you put two jackets on at once one would work first and one next time. Is it as soon as you set another jacket that the first is cancelled? This seems to be the case for me.

Top Bottom