• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Zero Suit/Samus in Shorts Social

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
pichuthedk pichuthedk Are you V115? Lol because it says you're from Toronto and you say you're 3rd best in the region. Personally I don't believe there are any notable ZSS' in Western Canada.. I'm the only Zero suit known to us and maybe out of state players? (that'd be cool lol). I don't travel out of state very much but I plan to do so soon. I'd really like to play V115 some time, wondering if he or any of you guys are going to attend NorthWestMajors in Washington this November 20th. Might attend that, and will probably be attending Genesis!
I won't be at NWM or Genesis, can't afford either. Sorry!

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
Social thread this time.

After a few hundred matches on Anther's Ladder, I finally got some backlash for using a top tier character. From a Toon Link. Who actually won the first match of the set with patience and a good neutral game. Then... He just sorta did a projectile rotation that invited easy flip kicks. I tried to give advice, and I got called names, so we played again with him clearly on tilt.

Anyways, for some reason, that made me laugh. In theory, I know a lot. In practice, I'm not that good yet. Definitely beatable. If you don't always follow boomerang with an arrow.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Dr. Tuen Dr. Tuen I have been considering trying anthers ladder to get better but I never followed through with it are you getting somewhat challenging sets that actually help you level up or turn off auto pilot?

@V115 bro maybe you should win events again like brawl and then you can take dem funds and go to a tournament OoC :p.

Also guys can you tell me what mu's you are starting to see frequently so we can get off of pikachu ? I don't want to be the one to pick and choose , else I'll just be picking what I fraud out on xD.

Exodia

Smash Rookie
Dr. Tuen Dr. Tuen I have been considering trying anthers ladder to get better but I never followed through with it are you getting somewhat challenging sets that actually help you level up or turn off auto pilot?

@V115 bro maybe you should win events again like brawl and then you can take dem funds and go to a tournament OoC :p.

Also guys can you tell me what mu's you are starting to see frequently so we can get off of pikachu ? I don't want to be the one to pick and choose , else I'll just be picking what I fraud out on xD.
Ok well I'm interested in Pikachu, have you guys ever played against a good Doc? It's pretty awesome we have a ridiculously good Doc here, 2manycooks. In my opinion could easily be the best Doc in the world.. Idk if it's just me, but I find heavy punish and hard hitters to be able to have something on us. Hency why I find Ryu a 50/50 for sure if not worse. Just always be careful with grabs, especially at high percents against hard hitters

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323

The ladder is great. I live in Oregon, so I get smooth connection form parts of Canada, through Washington and California, and out east to Colorado or so. It's an awesome place to get matchup experience, and just to keep your hands moving. I definitely get destroyed if I go autopilot. I got dropped back into Bronze League (the lowest!) because I didn't pay enough attention (that I and I got a lot of Pika that night).

So yeah, I'd say go for it. It's pretty rad. Your mileage may vary, you are likely better than I am. It's worth stating again: I'm all theory and no practice. For instance, I know nair is the greatest thing since sliced bread. If frame synced on hit, it leads to whatever you feel like. The only "but" is spacing, and that's exactly what I fail to do. It should not be grabbed if you are doing your job right, and I clearly need practice doing exactly that, heh.

I'd like to see Fox on the match up discussion. I get blown up by him quite a bit. My current notes on him are as follows: his speed allows for him to run under zair and side B, so don't use those too frequently. Unfortunately, that applies to paralyzer and nair to a degree... spacing is really tough since it seems like you need to stay pretty far away to prevent easy responses on his part. idk, I need help on that one.

Last edited:

C4-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pig321
Hey guys ! Im a ranked Wario main from NorCal and im looking for some tournament level ZSS to help me learn the MU better on wifi, its extremely difficult for me and i have very little understanding of the MU in general, feel free to message me or reply on here if your interested in playing in the future !

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Hello! The Roy boards are currently discussing the ZSS MU, and we would appreciate input from you!

Please click here to visit the ZSS - Roy Match-Up Discussion Thread!
Or you can click here to visit the general Match-Up Directory Thread!

BatShark

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys ! Im a ranked Wario main from NorCal and im looking for some tournament level ZSS to help me learn the MU better on wifi, its extremely difficult for me and i have very little understanding of the MU in general, feel free to message me or reply on here if your interested in playing in the future !
NorCal is trash breh.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
The ladder is great. I live in Oregon, so I get smooth connection form parts of Canada, through Washington and California, and out east to Colorado or so. It's an awesome place to get matchup experience, and just to keep your hands moving. I definitely get destroyed if I go autopilot. I got dropped back into Bronze League (the lowest!) because I didn't pay enough attention (that I and I got a lot of Pika that night).

So yeah, I'd say go for it. It's pretty rad. Your mileage may vary, you are likely better than I am. It's worth stating again: I'm all theory and no practice. For instance, I know nair is the greatest thing since sliced bread. If frame synced on hit, it leads to whatever you feel like. The only "but" is spacing, and that's exactly what I fail to do. It should not be grabbed if you are doing your job right, and I clearly need practice doing exactly that, heh.

I'd like to see Fox on the match up discussion. I get blown up by him quite a bit. My current notes on him are as follows: his speed allows for him to run under zair and side B, so don't use those too frequently. Unfortunately, that applies to paralyzer and nair to a degree... spacing is really tough since it seems like you need to stay pretty far away to prevent easy responses on his part. idk, I need help on that one.
Funny story about the spacing of nair...So I have been tinkering and I guess it started from an accident in some of my matches, However Lately I have been miss spacing nair's on purpose (landing in front of them)and just jabbing upon landing and catch A LOT of people with it I might have done it quite a bit in the tourney videos I am posting in the video thread in a few .

Ok well I'm interested in Pikachu, have you guys ever played against a good Doc? It's pretty awesome we have a ridiculously good Doc here, 2manycooks. In my opinion could easily be the best Doc in the world.. Idk if it's just me, but I find heavy punish and hard hitters to be able to have something on us. Hency why I find Ryu a 50/50 for sure if not worse. Just always be careful with grabs, especially at high percents against hard hitters
Actually the number 1 in my region can use doc which he is pretty good with however I feel I might have discouraged that after yesterday I sent him to losers in WF beating his villager,mario and doc IIRC. Doc is kinda annoying because of the random input error's in the heat of battle that lead to you getting your ass b reversed up b K.O'd by Doc.

BatShark

Smash Apprentice
Funny story about the spacing of nair...So I have been tinkering and I guess it started from an accident in some of my matches, However Lately I have been miss spacing nair's on purpose (landing in front of them)and just jabbing upon landing and catch A LOT of people with it I might have done it quite a bit in the tourney videos I am posting in the video thread in a few .
I've been getting the Nair->Jab cover quite a bit too ever since the shieldstun patch. Do we know the frame data behind what's going on here yet? With Nair being safer on shield I wonder how big the window is for them to drop and punish w/out perfect shield.

Actually the number 1 in my region can use doc which he is pretty good with however I feel I might have discouraged that after yesterday I sent him to losers in WF beating his villager,mario and doc IIRC. Doc is kinda annoying because of the random input error's in the heat of battle that lead to you getting your *** b reversed up b K.O'd by Doc.
I dropped a game to a Doc the other week in tournament because he mashed Up B during my Uair->Uair->Up B. Killed me at about 45% in between my 2nd Uair and Boost Kick. That move is no joke.

David Viran

Smash Lord
I've been getting the Nair->Jab cover quite a bit too ever since the shieldstun patch. Do we know the frame data behind what's going on here yet? With Nair being safer on shield I wonder how big the window is for them to drop and punish w/out perfect shield.
Nair is -3 on shield, not including shield drop, if hit low enough and shield grab is a frame 6 option while shield drop is 7 frames. Nair is pretty damn safe on shield. IIRC a PS makes nair -4.

Last edited:

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Hello, fellow Zero suit Samus players. I picked ZZS back up a week ago and she seem fun to use. I had to drop her to focus on better up my stronger mains, but then, I decided to pick her up and play with her on Ladder and the matches turn out well. This is just a start, but if I play my cards right as ZZS, then I might have her as my secondary along with Lucina and Kirby. I hope we have fun together and get along, well.

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
Since this is the social thread, and the people that have heard of my studies have commented in interest, I figured I'd post here...

I'm defending my PhD in Chemical Engineering next month on the 11th. I have to make all applicable edits to my dissertation by the 31st, but after that I have a large number of smash-related projects I want to tackle with rigorous research practices in mind. I will also seek to travel after I get employed. Use those weekends to get to some bigger events and get my butt kicked in all sorts of scenic locations!

So, here's hoping I don't implode! There's far too much work left to do here, and I can't wait to get back to it! (and to go back and correct a lot of my old work, ha ha)

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Since this is the social thread, and the people that have heard of my studies have commented in interest, I figured I'd post here...

I'm defending my PhD in Chemical Engineering next month on the 11th. I have to make all applicable edits to my dissertation by the 31st, but after that I have a large number of smash-related projects I want to tackle with rigorous research practices in mind. I will also seek to travel after I get employed. Use those weekends to get to some bigger events and get my butt kicked in all sorts of scenic locations!

So, here's hoping I don't implode! There's far too much work left to do here, and I can't wait to get back to it! (and to go back and correct a lot of my old work, ha ha)
I remember talking to you years ago (back when I was Xonar/Brosuke), glad to see it has shaped up well. Good luck man!!

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
I second that man I need to go back to school and move on with my life.

Good stuff Dr. Tuen Dr. Tuen
I can respect it my good sir
We met at apex 2014 though right ? I kinda recall me drunkenly trying to play some friendlies.

man infiniteV115 infiniteV115 and the toronto boys , we partied all the time lol.

Granted I was most likely the one to purpose getting the 60s we were drinking.

Last edited:

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
Thanks all! I'll probably soon drop off the face of existence for that reason, but... sometimes I just can't help myself:

This may be useful in conjunction with the side B tether trump.

1. Go for the tether trump.
1b. For foes that consistently buffer their getup options, proceed to step 2, otherwise back air.
2. Perform the Lagless Ledge Getup.
3. It may be possible to boost kick jumping ledge responses.
3b. It may be possible to fox trot boost kick rolls.
3c. It may be possible to boost kick the get up option.
4. It may be possible to grab all but the jump response (jump may be included if initial frames are not invulnerable, and if jump animation is long enough).

This may warrant some research, especially if grabbing is a feasible response to getup options.

Here's my quick look:
Minimum ledge hold time for non tether grabbers is 20 frames, we have a minimum hold time of 0 frames. Perfect execution would have them grab the edge, us follow on the frame after (1), hold back on the next frame to release (2), and jump on the next frame (3). It's likely that the video above is referring to soft landing lag when he is referring to landing with "no lag," so add 2 frames (4). With TAS kind of execution, ZSS would be in a neutral state approximately 16 frames before her foe, who has buffered an action.

Out of laziness, I'm using ZSS' frame data as an example for ledge options. Other character's mileage may vary.

1. Jump
Jump in invulnerable from frames 1 to 12, though the data does not specify a first actionable frame. If an air dodge can be buffered out of that, then there's only one vulnerable frame available to hit in this sequence. Since invulnerability starts immediately, this definitely can't be grabbed or hit right away. Pending late first actionable frames, this could be punishable given the time we have available to us (advantage time + invulnerable wait time = 28 frames).

2. Attack
The attack option is invulnerable from frames 1 to 14, and 41 end frames. This... is obnoxious. Fox trot out and return in for the free grab. You could also fox trot out and flip kick for free as well. If you're out of range of the attack, you may be able to charge a forward or down smash as a response too. But in fairness, that's character specific.

3. Climb
The climbing animation is invulnerable from frames 1-33, and has 1 end frame. This is tough to punish without a read. Similar to jumping, there's not a huge gap here, but they are just standing there afterwords... shields come up in 1 frame, and can be grabbed. Reading this option could be punished by a grab, since our grab is active for 13 or 14 frames. Our next most lasting hitbox response is dash attack, which lasts for 13 frames and has 32 frames of end lag instead of 39 frames.

4. Roll
Rolling is invincible from frames 1 to 26, and has 23 frames of end lag. This could be grabbed pretty easily. It could also be flip kicked or boost kicked if the setup from above is used. Makes me feel bad for ever missing a punish on a roll, ha ha.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Thanks all! I'll probably soon drop off the face of existence for that reason, but... sometimes I just can't help myself:

This may be useful in conjunction with the side B tether trump.

1. Go for the tether trump.
1b. For foes that consistently buffer their getup options, proceed to step 2, otherwise back air.
2. Perform the Lagless Ledge Getup.
3. It may be possible to boost kick jumping ledge responses.
3b. It may be possible to fox trot boost kick rolls.
3c. It may be possible to boost kick the get up option.
4. It may be possible to grab all but the jump response (jump may be included if initial frames are not invulnerable, and if jump animation is long enough).

This may warrant some research, especially if grabbing is a feasible response to getup options.

Here's my quick look:
Minimum ledge hold time for non tether grabbers is 20 frames, we have a minimum hold time of 0 frames. Perfect execution would have them grab the edge, us follow on the frame after (1), hold back on the next frame to release (2), and jump on the next frame (3). It's likely that the video above is referring to soft landing lag when he is referring to landing with "no lag," so add 2 frames (4). With TAS kind of execution, ZSS would be in a neutral state approximately 16 frames before her foe, who has buffered an action.

Out of laziness, I'm using ZSS' frame data as an example for ledge options. Other character's mileage may vary.

1. Jump
Jump in invulnerable from frames 1 to 12, though the data does not specify a first actionable frame. If an air dodge can be buffered out of that, then there's only one vulnerable frame available to hit in this sequence. Since invulnerability starts immediately, this definitely can't be grabbed or hit right away. Pending late first actionable frames, this could be punishable given the time we have available to us (advantage time + invulnerable wait time = 28 frames).

2. Attack
The attack option is invulnerable from frames 1 to 14, and 41 end frames. This... is obnoxious. Fox trot out and return in for the free grab. You could also fox trot out and flip kick for free as well. If you're out of range of the attack, you may be able to charge a forward or down smash as a response too. But in fairness, that's character specific.

3. Climb
The climbing animation is invulnerable from frames 1-33, and has 1 end frame. This is tough to punish without a read. Similar to jumping, there's not a huge gap here, but they are just standing there afterwords... shields come up in 1 frame, and can be grabbed. Reading this option could be punished by a grab, since our grab is active for 13 or 14 frames. Our next most lasting hitbox response is dash attack, which lasts for 13 frames and has 32 frames of end lag instead of 39 frames.

4. Roll
Rolling is invincible from frames 1 to 26, and has 23 frames of end lag. This could be grabbed pretty easily. It could also be flip kicked or boost kicked if the setup from above is used. Makes me feel bad for ever missing a punish on a roll, ha ha.
So am I correct in taking it that zss doesn't have the ability to do the lagless get up?
secondly I almost feel like we can just downsmash when we see them drop down from the ledge on reaction and possibly catch them depending on their option choice.

P.S 1 frame of end lag from getting up? my god no wonder I have gotten away with get up -> jab so many times.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Xonar!!!! lol i would of never guessed.

Yes pichuthedk pichuthedk we did meet i remember now were we playing against a Marth? or where you?

Yeah I was definitely attempting to play vs a Marth i sucked so much in the Mu back then....pretty sure I still suck at a lot of my decision making but I have undoubtedly become much better.

Still waiting for that day when I can play smash as well as I can play dota....

On the plus side took first today in a really small tourney after

Anyways game 4 he decided to stick with dk after he 2 stocked me on Halbard because I sded then got spiked when he was over 100%.

Ended up with a kawaii 0-death on tnc.

He came down taunted and then ran off the edge while holding out his hand for the gg shake. Lol

Last edited:

Daisy101

Smash Journeyman
Hey there, I haven't play Smash 4 since this may. there anything new about ZSS meta?
I did some FG today for fun. i wanted to do some Anther's leader but i fell less interested somewhat. are they put the rule stock to 2 this time? also i will probably represent myself on my local scene this week and at smash intensifies 2.

Last edited:

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Hey there, I haven't play Smash 4 since this may. there anything new about ZSS meta?
I did some FG today for fun. i wanted to do some Anther's leader but i fell less interested somewhat. are they put the rule stock to 2 this time? also i will probably represent myself on my local scene this week and at smash intensifies 2.
Pretty much what Kyokor said.

I've gotten away with landing bairs on shield only to jump away and come back for another one there have to be a way to shield break maybe 2-3 bairs -> flip jump kick ?must test xD.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Kids now a days will camp near the ledge and spam the paralyzer.
I don't go to the ledge by choice I am usually bullied there by jerks and sometimes try to create an opening with paralyzer :(.

Good thing the new patch is slapping me everytime I use it when I should not.

Top Bottom