• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Theory on Barrel Glitch (new kill setup inside)

Player-1

Smash Legend
Some of you have probably noticed that sometimes when Diddy recovers straight up that, when edgehogged, your barrels some times explode at the peak of the recovery. Well, just my theory on it, is that since your barrels stay out just a bit as you fall down, that you DI slightly into the stage and don't even notice it, so basically you're holding towards the stage that triggers it. This can be useful because, when timed right, you can hit your opponent with the barrels explosion after their invincibility frames go off, because you're going to die from the edgehog anyway. You'd have to be careful though because sometimes you can hit your opponent off the edge at the very peak of your barrels so you don't want to make a bad judgment and get yourself killed when you would have lived. Also, it can help you recover on Yoshi's Island because you'll be put right on top of the ghost (if it's there) or just position yourself and hope the ghost pops up.

This is just a theory on how to do it though, I'd test it but it's hard to test with 1 person =(.

edit:

So I just thought of a situational kill setup with this. It only works on YI (well if you want to live, I suppose it can work on PS1 on the rock formation as well), just space your barrels accordingly (a complete vertical up-b) and cancel grabbing the edge by holding down as you go past it, then land on the ghost platform. Obviously situational depending on the stage, the time, and if your opponent chooses to stand by the ledge, but it's better than nothing.

Kaptain Kong

Smash Lord
To the SE of Port Town.. ..send - Seattle, WA
this also happens when you try to make it to the edge at a weird angle from the side and below when theres no enemy on it
it looks like you should make it, but somehow your barrels explode right after the peak of the boost

the straight up version can happen when theres no enemy right?

Player-1

Smash Legend
this also happens when you try to make it to the edge at a weird angle from the side and below when theres no enemy on it
it looks like you should make it, but somehow your barrels explode right after the peak of the boost

the straight up version can happen when theres no enemy right?
yeah I know, but I didn't list them because the tricks weren't really viable then.

yeah, as long as you hold down when you go past the ledge so you don't grab it

DFEAR

Smash Hero
GOD you know how many lost stocks i have endured cuz of that ****. i knew something was up. after testing it time and time again, right now i cant seem to make myself explode in that matter lol...yay auto ledge grabs? ughhh needs more testing,

Jokes

Smash Cadet
I do this all the time on Frigate Orpheon, it works as a recovery if your barrels don't catch up to the moving platform at its midpoint.

Player-1

Smash Legend
So I tested this and it turns out it doesn't matter if you hold towards the ledge or not, it's completely based off of the spacing. The one thing I didn't test is DIing away from the ledge, but I doubt it would work.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
Lool takin them down with you, I stagespiked someone like that yesterday. Only thing that's BS is how when recovring sometimes for no reason I bounce of the side of the ledge and die lol. Already known but still something dumb that should be pointed out..

Player-1

Smash Legend
It's the wolf glitch!

your dumb
Lool takin them down with you, I stagespiked someone like that yesterday. Only thing that's BS is how when recovring sometimes for no reason I bounce of the side of the ledge and die lol. Already known but still something dumb that should be pointed out..
I never said it wasn't known, it was just a theory on how it works and how we can manipulate it.

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
This happened to me for the first time yesterday and it was gayyyy. :(

PortCity

Smash Ace
Apparently, when recovering in an arch fashion. The barrels are still "active" during the second part of the arch. During the second part of the arch, Diddy normally goes into free fall, but there seems to be a slight portion where the barrels still have propulsion. If we hit the stage at that moment, the barrels will release and blow us up to our doom. :-\ Exhibit A:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IsyDyaBVgo

At 2:07, our hero PCity, gets chain grabbed spiked into the water. He jumps out side+b as supposed to. He charges the Barrels and releases in an arch fashion. He connects with the ground at the moment past the bisection of the arch, explodes, and enjoys the scenery at the blast zone.

So yeah, that is what I suspect is happening.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Apparently, when recovering in an arch fashion. The barrels are still "active" during the second part of the arch. During the second part of the arch, Diddy normally goes into free fall, but there seems to be a slight portion where the barrels still have propulsion. If we hit the stage at that moment, the barrels will release and blow us up to our doom. :-\ Exhibit A:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IsyDyaBVgo

At 2:07, our hero PCity, gets chain grabbed spiked into the water. He jumps out side+b as supposed to. He charges the Barrels and releases in an arch fashion. He connects with the ground at the moment past the bisection of the arch, explodes, and enjoys the scenery at the blast zone.

So yeah, that is what I suspect is happening.
yeah...we already know that...

PortCity

Smash Ace
I don't suspect we can, we just have to AVOID that angle. The closest thing I have seen is exploding and catch on, BUT the only reason i did it was due to be hitting so far into the stage. So it was the same bad angle, but I hit further into the stage, exploded, and regrabbed. Sometimes to avoid the situation altogether, I shoot for a higher arch instead of a wider one.

Player-1

Smash Legend
So I just thought of a situational kill setup with this. It only works on YI (well if you want to live, I suppose it can work on PS1 on the rock formation as well), just space your barrels accordingly (a complete vertical up-b) and cancel grabbing the edge by holding down as you go past it, then land on the ghost platform. Obviously situational depending on the stage, the time, and if your opponent chooses to stand by the ledge, but it's better than nothing.

Top Bottom