• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Theory on yet unrevealed characters and the WiiU/Future Unannounced DLC Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
Duck Hunt trailer to show off another DLC character? Mewtwo followed Bowser Jr.

Just letting this out there, plus it's weird that Sakurai would tease him like that and not show him.
I was thinking this too. Maybe classic Ridley?

i remember that leak but cant remember were i seen it
Are you certain? I wasn't sure if I was remembering wrong or not, but if someone else recalls it then maybe I'm not crazy. Well, not too crazy.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Duck Hunt trailer to show off another DLC character? Mewtwo followed Bowser Jr.

Just letting this out there, plus it's weird that Sakurai would tease him like that and not show him.
The DLC CHARCTER IS :wolf: because dogs are related to wolfs. :mewtwopm:and:wolf: would complete the veteran Smahs Bros Antagonists. :mewtwopm: for:4bowserjr:(:4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig:) trailer and :wolf: for:4duckhunt: trailer.

RampagingRidley

Smash Rookie
In regards to Ridley still being playable, look back at the April direct where they showed his shadow, and it's not even close to what the stage hazard looks like. I'm not saying he's guaranteed in, but there's still a shot

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
In regards to Ridley still being playable, look back at the April direct where they showed his shadow, and it's not even close to what the stage hazard looks like. I'm not saying he's guaranteed in, but there's still a shot
Wait, I forgot all about that. Could anyone compare the shadows from April and the direct today to see the differences?

D

Deleted member

I barely remember that leak.

I'm happy that this had straight out announced DLC.

As for Ridley, if any NPC would get a playable upgrade via DLC, it's him. They actually would have to fix him up for the 3DS version as well. His Final Smash bieng Meta-Ridley also means they have to still do a bit more work. Like reprogramming it from "too much damage" to "get Smash Ball". That is likely why he wouldn't be DLC right away. Spring 2015 does matter since it could make more DLC characters available, so...
Yeah it is curious just how much Ridley behaves as if he were playable, such as being able to walk on the ground, hold on to ledges, etc. But whatever, Mewtwo is coming, nothing else matters. :p

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah it is curious just how much Ridley behaves as if he were playable, such as being able to walk on the ground, hold on to ledges, etc. But whatever, Mewtwo is coming, nothing else matters. :p
Hey, I could still get Isaac. :grin:

Anyway, yeah, this is very interesting. I think he might need a slight resize at best. I can tell you right now that even Burb, a person who doesn't believe NPC's could get upgraded, does consider it possible due to the fact that Ridley is exactly like a playable character in design so far. His programming could be identical as well, but we can't prove that yet. This is why he had data on the 3DS version. Either A) His old data was way different, B) They wanted to hype him up for this version and he'll be a DLC hazard along with the Pyrosphere or another reasonable course or C) He may somehow be playable(not counting using a different Ridley either, which is less likely since the hazard isn't just a "swoop in, attack", but a fully realized NPC identical to a player character so far. He has a head icon. He can grab. He can jump. He has something just like a Final Smash. He can walk. It's cool).

I love Mewtwo being back. He sorely deserves his spot, and I am so glad they're working extra hard on him now. They called him a "new character", and somehow Dark Pit isn't a newcomer according to the site. I bet he will be based upon the feminine one(who is logically a different Mewtwo) and could even have Mega Mewtwo Y. Technically, they can claim it's a new person by this logic alone. The Melee one was severely based upon his Anime Movie interpretation, specifically the first Mewtwo. Or, you know, Sakurai is weird.

D

Deleted member

To be honest, the only thing i truly cared about there was Myuutsu (Mewtwo).

No offense to anyone who is a fan of the character mentioned below.
But i honestly don't want a playable, or even existent Ridley in Smash Bros at all whatsoever.

I only wanted him in because you guys did and i value other's opinions before my own.
:mewtwomelee:

Mcriddle

Smash Rookie
The fact they have made ridley an icon, an ally and used a quite average model is just further insult to him being a stage hazard.

He is a villain and he doesn't team up with people and never has.

Sakurai is ignorant to Riley fans that's fine but there was never the need in hyping this at all as his inclusion as a boss is something that's been seen and done before. Giving false hype especially for over a year was just to far.

I Hope for dlc but I'm gonna say it's not likely, as after what ?10 years or whatever (since Melee) sakurais choices /biases chose not to include this character as playable and it is shown once again he remains consistent that he against it.

But the whole mewtwo thing has opened up the dlc idea so hopefully some more characters get added!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I love Mewtwo being back. He sorely deserves his spot, and I am so glad they're working extra hard on him now. They called him a "new character", and somehow Dark Pit isn't a newcomer according to the site. I bet he will be based upon the feminine one(who is logically a different Mewtwo) and could even have Mega Mewtwo Y. Technically, they can claim it's a new person by this logic alone. The Melee one was severely based upon his Anime Movie interpretation, specifically the first Mewtwo. Or, you know, Sakurai is weird.
Wait, what about this--this Smash is big into male/female alts, right? What if 4 Mewtwo alts are male and the other 4 are female, and then its voice and final smashes would change accordingly? I mean, they did have both mega evolutions on a trophy. I'm not sure how they would indicate which gender it is, though, maybe put a little gender icon by the name? Not super likely, but you never know.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
To be honest, the only thing i truly cared about there was Myuutsu (Mewtwo).

No offense to anyone who is a fan of the character mentioned below.
But i honestly don't want a playable, or even existent Ridley in Smash Bros at all whatsoever.

I only wanted him in because you guys did and i value other's opinions before my own.
:mewtwomelee:
For me, I wanted Ridley in for two reasons.

1) Ridley fans are less irritating than anti-Ridley fans.
2) Metroid should have a third (Second, really) representative. And honestly, Ridley's the only one who really fits the bill.

So it was kind of sad to see him deconfirmed as a hazard (And such an irritating one at that) for me.

D

Deleted member

I disagree. the Mewtwo model is the exact one from Pokedex 3d Pro, which was Male-two (genderless but more male-focuse Mewtwo), only slightly adjusted. if it were femaletwo they probably would've ripped the XY model, made it a bit more feminine, and then make the skin whiter.

Trust Me, i am a Mewtwo freak.
I know my Twos..
Sakurai knows what he's doing.

@Mewtwo only you would know, after all aren't you and your female counterpart dating?
Just messin' with your name

What i was going to say is there are huge differences between both Mewtwos you'll know.
However i personally hope the don't have both and they only have the Male-Two i grew up with because i don't want to only have 4 recolors to choose from, i wan't the whole Mewtwo package.

The_Intruder

Smash Apprentice
Ok after this direct I know one thing, Sakurai should stop communicate/teasing because he doesn't know how to do it correctly. Have fun with this smash guys, but there is nothing for me of what I've seen in this direct.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I disagree. the Mewtwo model is the exact one from Pokedex 3d Pro, which was Male-two (genderless but more male-focuse Mewtwo), only slightly adjusted. if it were femaletwo they probably would've ripped the XY model, made it a bit more feminine, and then make the skin whiter.

Trust Me, i am a Mewtwo freak.
I know my Twos..
Sakurai knows what he's doing.

@Mewtwo only you would know, after all aren't you and your female counterpart dating?
Just messin' with your name

What i was going to say is there are huge differences between both Mewtwos you'll know.
However i personally hope the don't have both and they only have the Male-Two i grew up with because i don't want to only have 4 recolors to choose from, i wan't the whole Mewtwo package.
And watch it use Mega Mewtwo Y and a female voice. Until we see it in action, who knows. They can entirely base it around the new version without using the same model. The Pokemon characters take a lot of Anime notes yet not their exact designs. Either way, why on earth would they call it new? It probably has a new moveset(which considering very few people liked how the old Mewtwo played, at least compared to most characters, as even Ganondorf is loved in Melee because he's fun to play as and really freakin' good) or something. I don't get the reasoning either. Maybe it means "new" as in not announced for the 3DS version.

Wait, what about this--this Smash is big into male/female alts, right? What if 4 Mewtwo alts are male and the other 4 are female, and then its voice and final smashes would change accordingly? I mean, they did have both mega evolutions on a trophy. I'm not sure how they would indicate which gender it is, though, maybe put a little gender icon by the name? Not super likely, but you never know.
I'm okay with this. Wouldn't the only difference be the voices and Final Smash at best? The Final Smash needs to be identical, so that might only work if it's a random one. You're just more likely to get Y is the female form, or X if the male form. It's hard to say what they'll do, really. It's also possible they could use a non-Mega Evolution Final Smash too. If they did this, they don't have to worry about extra programming, and choosing its male or female version won't matter as much.

Aberdeano

Smash Rookie
So the fact a duck hunt trailer was teased do you think that means there is still at least one more trailer to come?

RampagingRidley

Smash Rookie
Wait, I forgot all about that. Could anyone compare the shadows from April and the direct today to see the differences?

I couldn't get an image from the direct today, but here's a picture of Ridley from the April direct
Edit: Notice how he's not grounded or as bulky

Last edited:

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
Mewtwos Trophy model on the 3ds version is a little diffrent in the face though so I wonder how thats gonna play out for that version of the game.

Even though I mentioned it before it makes absolutely no sense to tease Ridley for a year just to be a Stage Boss. Sure it took a long time to develop him seeing how complex he is but you could have just shown him in the Pyrosphere background in a POTD and call it a day instead of creating unintentional false hype.

Also the fact that he has his Super Metroid form as the stock icon along with fighting like a playable character can be seen as a huge insult or something even "Bigger" is being planned. (probably not though)

zony514

Smash Apprentice
NNID
zoniken514
3DS FC
1633-5281-0428
MEWTWO!!!
IS!!!
COMING BACK!!!
NEXT YEAR!!!
YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!\(°∀。)/

Sorry, I just got home from work, and watched Youtube in an hour ago, so I'm like this.(lol)

Last edited:

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
You know I recall a leak some time ago that said Ridley was both a hazard, and playable. That when not playing as Ridley he was in fact a boss and that defeating him would have him fighting on your side in the stage, and if someone is playing as him he just doesn't show up on the stage at all. This was months ago, but does anyone remember such a rumor/leak? I'm certain I read this somewhere because at the time I thought defeating Ridley having him join you on the stage sounded nonsensical, but thinking back on the direct I remembered. If anyone knows or seen the rumor I'm talking about I'd love to see the snippet or link of what was posted.

Edit: The fact his icon is from Brawl is rather fishy. Probably means nothing but still.

Edit 2: As for Mewtwo I was watching the direct with my cousin. When they showed the polygonal outline of Mewtwos feet I cursed at the tv and told them he better be playable. "BE firetrucking PLAYABLE!" since my cousin really wanted him back. I was quite happy when they said he would be.
Yes, I remember this leak. IIRC, I thought that the leak said that you can only play as him as the stage boss (a situation akin to Mario Party 10(?) on the Wii U that has the option of you playing Bowser as the boss only).

Edit: Again, like you said, it has been months ago, so my memory is a little hazy...

Last edited:

neoREgen

Smash Journeyman
I can only guess that at the previous Nintendo Direct, even Sakurai wasn't sure if Ridley would be playable. It looks like the team tried—they chose the Other M version to make his aspect ratio work better when scaled, crafted a Meta Ridley final smash, gave him his own icon, animated him to walk on the ground, grab edges, explode when knocked offscreen... but ultimately, they didn't think he worked well for some reason. And so, instead of losing that work, they converted him into a mixture of a stage boss and an ally.

I think there are too many parallels with playable characters to deny that they tried, and I am grateful for that and not in the least angry or embittered. Ridley's been my #1 desired playable character since anticipating Brawl, and at this point, seeing this, I admit to being disheartened at the possibility that he will ever be playable. It really does look like they made a very noble effort. (Thanks to all of the devs that worked on this—I'm sure this was hard for you, too. Much appreciation.)

It will be a very interesting discussion at the next Smash Bros Roundtable, I'm sure.

And I would still buy a Ridley Amiibo. Especially if he can be playable in Mario Kart. :p

Staccato

Smash Cadet
I was thinking... They did confirm in the Direct that the starting roster for the WiiU version is of 40 characters, Miis excluded (Ness, Ganondorf, Bowser Jr. and Jigglypuff are available from the beginning). Do you think that could be a hint that there are four more characters in the WiiU version we still don't know about? 'cause it wouldn't make that much sense to make four random characters available from the beginning otherwise, at least to me. Any thoughts about that?

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
I was thinking... They did confirm in the Direct that the starting roster for the WiiU version is of 40 characters, Miis excluded (Ness, Ganondorf, Bowser Jr. and Jigglypuff are available from the beginning). Do you think that could be a hint that there are four more characters in the WiiU version we still don't know about? 'cause it wouldn't make that much sense to make four random characters available from the beginning otherwise, at least to me. Any thoughts about that?
No. There's just one more. Mewtwo. They made 40 a valuable because it's more local focused. If you have 8 player smash matches but only 18 starter characters that wouldn't work. That's why the 3ds version started out with that many imo. So the Wii u version could start with that many if not more.

Whiteface

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRealWhiteface
I can only guess that at the previous Nintendo Direct, even Sakurai wasn't sure if Ridley would be playable. It looks like the team tried—they chose the Other M version to make his aspect ratio work better when scaled, crafted a Meta Ridley final smash, gave him his own icon, animated him to walk on the ground, grab edges, explode when knocked offscreen... but ultimately, they didn't think he worked well for some reason. And so, instead of losing that work, they converted him into a mixture of a stage boss and an ally.

I think there are too many parallels with playable characters to deny that they tried, and I am grateful for that and not in the least angry or embittered. Ridley's been my #1 desired playable character since anticipating Brawl, and at this point, seeing this, I admit to being disheartened at the possibility that he will ever be playable. It really does look like they made a very noble effort. (Thanks to all of the devs that worked on this—I'm sure this was hard for you, too. Much appreciation.)

It will be a very interesting discussion at the next Smash Bros Roundtable, I'm sure.

And I would still buy a Ridley Amiibo. Especially if he can be playable in Mario Kart. :p
I truly share these sentiments.

Now. I'm not trying to cling to false hope, but for this very reasoning I somehow feel as though there is possibly at least one more hidden character to be unlocked, most likely a left field clone (like Doc or Pitoo).
That being said. I am very comfortable with this iteration of Smash, the roster and (omfg) the content.

Edit: I'm certain it's too early for its own thread, but i'm wondering if it would be possible for a WiiU only smash owner to team up with a 3ds only owner to acquire. (free Mewtwo:eek:)

Last edited:

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
Ok looking back at his trophy Mewtwo's face is way different than the new one so there's a chance Wolf could get in with his brawl design in the future.

Lucas design is simplistic so there probably won't be a huge visual difference if he's playable.

As for the Ice Climbers, I think the only other option is to just bring them back as Ice Climber (Popo going solo with Nana as an alt) since it's no different than Charizard being his own character. That is unless people are still butt hurt over the non-existent chain grabs in this game.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Having only one Ice Climber destroys their playstyle, regardless of chain grabs alone. While I would not mind it, a lot would. The thing is, they didn't suck like Mewtwo did, so people seeing Mewtwo severely better yet with an all new moveset(or mostly new) after he was out for one game has less of an impact. Or he could be similar to his old self with tons of buffs. We don't know just yet.

I would rather have both Climbers on both like their original self, but obviously working properly on the 3DS instead.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I think he did , but , it sound stupid to do something like that for newcomer who 95 % person know the existance . The game is out 1 month ago and sell 3 Million unit . 3 Million people + A lot of internet wiewer know the roster ... Save his trailer for another time , friday , but not during the direct , it sound so wrong to show " What wii u had best" with a already know newcomer trailer .
Who was right ? No duck Hunt trailler and with this ... MEWWWWWWWWWWTWOOOOOOO !!!

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Having only one Ice Climber destroys their playstyle, regardless of chain grabs alone. While I would not mind it, a lot would. The thing is, they didn't suck like Mewtwo did, so people seeing Mewtwo severely better yet with an all new moveset(or mostly new) after he was out for one game has less of an impact. Or he could be similar to his old self with tons of buffs. We don't know just yet.

I would rather have both Climbers on both like their original self, but obviously working properly on the 3DS instead.
I agree. I'd rather much wait until Smash Bros 5 to reintroduce the Ice Climbers than compromising away their gimmick. There is no point to have Popo or Nana alone, that goes against WHY they were in Smash in the first place.

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
Warning Received
I return with a message. I TOLD YOU SO. I told you Ridley would be a stage hazard, but NOOOOOOOOOOOO you wouldn't listen. I wish I could see the look on your faces.

zony514

Smash Apprentice
NNID
zoniken514
3DS FC
1633-5281-0428
Then what about...I know people will go against this...but about Impa? On the 3DS's trophies, Impa is the only character who have the parenthesis than any other Ocarina of Time characters except for the mains which is Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf, and we know there's no other Impa figure in the 3DS. Much to say we already know connectivity with the Wii U has nothing to do with trophies, so does this mean anything at all, or completely debunked for nothing?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Then what about...I know people will go against this...but about Impa? On the 3DS's trophies, Impa is the only character who have the parenthesis than any other Ocarina of Time characters except for the mains which is Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf, and we know there's no other Impa figure in the 3DS. Much to say we already know connectivity with the Wii U has nothing to do with trophies, so does this mean anything at all, or completely debunked for nothing?
I definitely would rather have Tingle or a new type of Ganon(dorf), but honestly, as long as she isn't her OOT self(which has no way to be unique), she'd work. I'm not a fan of her SS self, as she had very little uniqueness to her besides a tiny list of moves. She'd be about as unique as Lucina or Dark Pit as best. Which is not acceptable for such a staple character in the Zelda series. Even Ridley got more than that.

I agree. I'd rather much wait until Smash Bros 5 to reintroduce the Ice Climbers than compromising away their gimmick. There is no point to have Popo or Nana alone, that goes against WHY they were in Smash in the first place.
Exactly! I miss them too, but come on. I proposed this myself some time back with varying results. Both are very legit points regardless. Some want them back as is. Others want them back while still being similar to their core gameplay. To say the least, I'm sure the second of those two is what will happen if he somehow fixes them for the 3DS. But if their lag(the likely issue) is so bad you can't play online much at all, it may not be worth it. For all we know, they caused trouble in regular offline Multiplayer(via multiple 3DS'). I wish he elaborated on the issues. :/

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Wish I could see the look on yours when he's confirmed as DLC :042:
It's still an if. I don't even care myself anymore. I love his role now. He's unique. I couldn't ask for more beyond him being playable.

BTW, if somebody comes in here to kick people while they're down, report it. It's against the rules and considered trolling on this forum.

Last edited:

Jigglypumped

Smash Cadet
I return with a message. I TOLD YOU SO. I told you Ridley would be a stage hazard, but NOOOOOOOOOOOO you wouldn't listen. I wish I could see the look on your faces.
I saw you say several places here that the 3DS roster was the final roster, and you were extremely rude to people all over the board if they thought there would be another character announced. Mewtwo was announced, so you were wrong about that, yet here you are, being rude again and acting like you were right about everything when really the only thing you have is the fact Ridley is not playable. Stop being a jerk.

D

Deleted member

I agree with this so much.

The thing I think Ridley fans need to ask themselves is: why exactly are you a Ridley fan? Is it because 1. you simply feel that the Metroid franchise deserves more representation, so you figure the character that best fits the bill is Ridley? or is it because 2. you just really connect with and are a fan of the purple space dragon?

Because I feel that if you really appreciated what makes Ridley awesome apart from Smash Bros, it is that he is a monstrous enemy and constant threat to Samus. Apart from early on in the series, Ridley is depicted is a very large dragon capable of grabbing Samus in his hand. This is part of what makes him so awesome. And so, why, as a fan of Ridley, would you want a cheapened version of him represented anywhere?

For those that just want another Metroid rep, what if Ridely just weren't in the series? Who would you look to then? Kraid? Mother Brain? There just aren't that many smaller, important recurring characters in that series. And that makes sense--it's Samus Aran versus the galaxy. The series is about her! She took down a planet. She doesn't need anyone else. Can you imagine if they tried to scale down Mother Brain's robot form for Smash as a fighter? That would be stupid. The whole point is that Samus, a human, is taking down these monstrous beasts and enemies to save the galaxy.

So in my opinion, what Sakurai has done with Ridley in Smash 4 is awesome. It brings Ridley into the fray like never before, but respects that part of what makes him who he is is a giant villain. I think that's the right idea.

I'm not going to say that Ridley will never be playable, but I think that first Smash Bros. would have to be designed with giant characters in mind from the get-go. If that were to ever happen, then yes, I think Ridley would be top of the list.

tl;dr: Sakurai did Ridley right. He shouldn't be scaled down to be playable.

Johnpiece

Smash Rookie
I wish we would have gotten more info on Mewtwo coming later on. Now we are all left to speculate what exactly his arrival will include. It could be just him (I think that would be a little odd.) It could be him + other characters. It could be him + stages etc. Would it be to much to let us know what else is coming with him? Could have said how many other characters/stages are coming without actually revealing them. That way people will know and not be entirely let down by their false hopes lol.

Although if they did that then people would be sad if their favorite character didn't get in with the DLC so i guess it's kind of a lose lose. Still, myself i honestly don't really care what characters get in at this point, as long as they are NEWCOMERS. Yup, i said it. I'm alright with all the vet cuts. I spoiled myself by watching so much content from the 3ds i feel like i know everything now and i just want there to be a little more. And i still like the idea of them saving a characters release for the Wii U's release and then patching it for 3ds a day later or something (though i don't think it will happen anymore). That way people who don't have a 3ds and a copy of the game can learn the new characters along with everyone else at it's release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom