• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

There's a Y Button?!

Taisa

Smash Rookie
So after playing Cap for the past year on and off, I began to get frustrated at my lack of progress. Playing a mirror match against a friend, and he did the classic F-Air to U-Air to recovery off of FD. I've never been able to do this reliably, meaning once in a blue moon. So I exclaimed, "Why can't I do that!?" His reply:

"Just slide the thumb from Y to A to get it out fast when you leave the ground."

My world has turned upside-down at this point. I've been using X, and moving my entire thumb to play Falcon. Is this a common mistake? Or are we (the group I play with) out of our minds for thinking Y is superior to X? The thumb slip feels odd, but already aerials are coming out faster. So I think I'll stick with it.

chunga

Smash Rookie
It doesn't really matter what button you use to jump so long as you are more comfortable using whatever button you use.

Vall3y

Smash Lord
yes, changing a jump buttom will be much harder than just learning how to do this.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
actually, the slide from x>a is the same as the slide from y>a, but seriously, just use whatever you're comfortable with. you can definitely do everything w/ x that you can with y. It's all just preference. although y is easier for some things (mainly pertaining only to fox and falco), x is usually just as easy. Hell, do it with the control stick if you want quick speed. or use z instead of a. Thats how i do really quick shffls. press x then z (z one frame later than for a jc grab), and presto, really fast attack comeout.

pdk

Smash Lord
sorry buddy, falcon's gonna come to your place and kill your family for ditching X

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
lol i used to jump using the control stick!!! i use y it's closer

FireFly

Smash Lord
heh, who uses A for aerials? i dont! Y for jumping and Z for aerials. one button to jump and one button to attack. easier to get out uair after fair, but thats just my weird playstyle

Top Bottom