• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things that you hate to deal with on For Glory?

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
I've been through a lot in this game,

and let me tell you what it truly means to be disrespectful.

We had a match, player beats the hell out of me, still has 3 stocks, I only have one stock with over 70%.
I go into defense mode with Toon Link, player edge guards the hell out of me with his 3stock 0% and my 1 stock 70%.
And I try to survive to the edge for over 5 minutes, and the player is standing there pushing me away with Quajutsu's splash, edgeuarding me as if he is about to die if I get on stage.
A respectful match is to give your opponent a final chance to get on the stage and fight, what do you have to lose with your 0% and my 70%. Give me a chance defeat me with respect instead of mocking me on the edge until I get frustrated and SD.

(It started with me up B with Toon link so he caught me off-guard and pushed me back all the time,
The edgeguard happened with the player using Quajutsu and splashing water on me diagonally upwards, keep pushing me back from the edge. And I kept trying to get back to the stage, but he repeated his actions until I just got tired of it.
it was funny at first but then it became a nightmare, kept going on for minutes.
I tried, I struggled, but got humiliated me into an SD)

And then-------he taunted.

That, is my friends, how you become disrespectful.
(Don't do this to anybody)
Are you talking about Greninja? What is Quajutsu and splashing water? I know one of them is his up b,but what is the other?

D

Deleted member 269706

Using the EXACT same combo for every attack. Also, people who edge guard like assholes.

Madolche ♦ Procione

Smash Apprentice
If you play Rosalina or Duck Hunt and quit after one win while taunting, Hitler would be proud of your work.

Last edited:

Kage Me

Smash Ace
People who spend an eternity in the 'Viewing Results' screen.

What is taking so long? How much time do you need to view some stats? Why are you keeping me waiting?

I don't usually disconnect after one game, but against those players, it's usually quicker to just find a new—hopefully less rude—opponent.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
Using the EXACT same combo for every attack. Also, people who edge guard like *******s.
People who spend an eternity in the 'Viewing Results' screen.

What is taking so long? How much time do you need to view some stats? Why are you keeping me waiting?

I don't usually disconnect after one game, but against those players, it's usually quicker to just find a new—hopefully less rude—opponent.
That isn't disrespectful it is just annoying, which is not the same as disrespect. Rawkstar in the edge gaurding part what do you mean by that? Do you mean they go far off the stage or something, because if it is that is fine,but the first part is kind of off topic.

Rylos

Smash Rookie
People who after take a stock from you start teabagging. Irritates me so much.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Can't say I can think of anything I find "disrespectful". Any methods and tactics are fair game (unless a person somehow hacked), and if someone tries their darndest to win, even if it means playing obnoxiously, I don't mind. No big deal. I'm not gonna get angry at a person for playing/not playing a certain way

Sometimes I think it's sour when someone leaves after the first match with me winning, but for all I know they could have to leave for other reasons. If somebody doesn't want to fight me, it's their choice anyway. There's no obligation. I don't find taunting or the likes disrespectful either--I like it when people are playful and teasing, even if I'm losing badly. It's fun and also gives me more incentive to best them.

On the other hand, I find taunting as a match begins to be some form of respect. It's like a greeting of some kind, a way to tell the opponent "Let's have a good match" while giving the battle a friendly atmosphere. Aside from that, I once fought a decent Fox player in For Glory, and after star KOing him on his last stock, I accidentally self destructed myself. He then stayed around for a second match where he killed himself instantly, giving me a victory to redeem my accident and keep my record intact. After that he left, not sticking around any longer. That player was a good sport.

RWB

Smash Ace
I tend to dislike it when people change characters after winning as if to prevent you from learning the match up or get the runback. People who pick the character you are currently playing as (whether you won or lost the last match) in particular I find to be extremely disrespectful.
Honestly, I like playing random, but I usually go twice with a character if I win a match. If they can't beat me in the second match, it's back to random. They had their shot at revenge.

If I realize that it's an opponent I need to take seriously(who just steamroll my randoms), then I bring out my Yoshi.

crumsie

Smash Cadet
NNID
Crumsie
3DS FC
5086-1050-4090
I play DDD and generally play to have a good time. At the start of every match I will do the danceing taunt and lounge out, and I hate when people just use that opportunity to hit me haha. I know it's an advantage for them, but I just want to have fun with a fun character. I'll even taunt after they land an awesome meteor on me or pull off a sweet combo, just to be like "hey, that was awesome!", but then they will just combo me out of it lol.

I also really hate projectile spammers, being so slow.

Last edited:

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
Those things aren't mutually exclusive. I think it's very inconsiderate to waste someone else's time for no reason.
You don't know why they do that. They are probably saving replays, for me it always takes up so much time to save a replay so there is always 3 seconds left.

infomon

Smash Scientist
I've found out away to piss people off on For Glory.

If I'm playing against someone that is clearly using a gimmicky character, I SD immediately at the beginning of the match and continue to 2 stock them.

It usually makes them rage quit but it's so satisfying to annoy people like that.
Which characters do you consider "gimmicky characters"? :)

Nammy12

Smash Lord
NNID
Nammy12
I'm generally a respectful player. I'll taunt back if the opponent taunts at the beginning of a match and I try to make it a fun match. However, if they use Little Mac then that respect goes straight out the window at which I will try to be extremely disrespectful to them, especially if they choose Mac after losing. Unless they're actually GOOD with Mac (Never happens though).

Nysyr

Smash Journeyman
Players that taunt in matches that are lagging.

Seriously, don't do it.

infomon

Smash Scientist
lol so this one time on For Glory

I wrecked this guy several times. It was fun chill matches though.

Then I picked G&W (I rarely use), and he started to beat me for a while. Took my first stock. I could tell he was getting excited and trying to play really on-point. I got his first stock off, and then... honestly, got some really lucky but epic combo into an ugly gimp. As he fell, I taunted.

After the fight he just stayed at the character select screen: selecting a character, letting go, selecting a character, letting go, in a steady repeated manner. For like a minute. Then he left.

lol I assume it was in anger. Maybe it was just saying goodbye, but I'm pretty sure he was mad :)

Last edited:

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
When I taunt at the beginning of the match and they don't taunt back.

Also, when I'm pwning them as Marth and then they win ONE match and cockily switch to Marth and roll spam/counter spam.

the8thark

Smash Lord
lol so this one time on For Glory

I wrecked this guy several times. It was fun chill matches though.

Then I picked G&W (I rarely use), and he started to beat me for a while. Took my first stock. I could tell he was getting excited and trying to play really on-point. I got his first stock off, and then... honestly, got some really lucky but epic combo into an ugly gimp. As he fell, I taunted.

After the fight he just stayed at the character select scree: selecting a character, letting go, selecting a character, letting go, in a steady repeated manner. For like a minute. Then he left.

lol I assume it was in anger. Maybe it was just saying goodbye, but I'm pretty sure he was mad :)
If someone did to me online what you did to him, I'd just SD, cop the loss and move on to someone else who wants to play the game properly. That attitude is just not worth my time.

D

Deleted member 269706

That isn't disrespectful it is just annoying, which is not the same as disrespect. Rawkstar in the edge gaurding part what do you mean by that? Do you mean they go far off the stage or something, because if it is that is fine,but the first part is kind of off topic.
The thread is called "Things that you find disrespectful in a smash match". I find those things disrespectful. You call them "annoying" if that's how you see it, but you can't tell me that my opinion is wrong. The whole point of the thread is to express your opinions.

the8thark

Smash Lord
The thread is called "Things that you find disrespectful in a smash match". I find those things disrespectful. You call them "annoying" if that's how you see it, but you can't tell me that my opinion is wrong. The whole point of the thread is to express your opinions.
Agreed. I'm not dissing your opinion at all. I'm just saying I'd find what you did disrespectful in my opinion.

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
I think taunting is taken differently in different regions. In Japan it's supposedly taken very seriously.
Excellent. I'll taunt every Japanese player excessively from now on.

I've taunted for literally each and every reason people complain about here. I taunt when my opponent so obviously SDs. I want to piss them off. And I love it when people angrily taunt me back after they KO me or when I screw up, because it makes me more intent on fighting them while still trying to remain composed.

It makes the game all the more exciting and prevents it from being routine.

infomon

Smash Scientist
For what it's worth, Sakurai started the match with a taunt when he had the free-for-all battle introduction of Pac-Man as a playable character. :D

Demonstormkill

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3926-6919-7589
The only thing I really hate is people who winquit after a single game. If it was a 2-stock then I don't mind since I probably wasn't at their level anyway, but if it's a close game and they taunt -> quit at the end, especially if you're figuring them out, that's very annoying.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Apparently the general consensus is that inappropiate taunting is the worst kind of disrespect. I only taunt when I did a flashy combo kill or something funny happened. And the opponent has all the right to attack me if I let myself open during the taunt.

Remember kids, taunt responsibly (unless you are Dedede, then each moment you arent fighting you should be holding down on you control stick).

ソチャラ「Sóchara 」

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AllahuAkbar
3DS FC
0061-0828-3959
Trying to fight me as megaman. Even when I win.I love megaman but I just don't like fighting him. On top of that, it's an insult to me as a megaman main. Especially if I just beat you. A nub playing megaman against me is gonna eat arm cannon.

Not saying I'm good at this game but I have a niche.

Last edited:

hyperglitter

Smash Rookie
Are you guys actually disrespected by taunts, et. al, or do they just minorly vex you? I just find it hard to believe so many people you encounter are taunting purely for disrespect/spite.

Maybe I taunt at the start of the match because it's fun and sometimes people taunt back and it's a nice way to say hi? Most people take For Glory so seriously that they just rush in for some free hits though, and I don't really care because it's a game in the end.

Maybe I switched to your main because I wanted some dittos, or at worst wanted to teach or learn something? Maybe I left after one match because I had something to do/I just didn't feel like another/I don't owe anyone some undefined amount of matches in something that isn't a tournament? I'm not saying you don't have a right to find these things disrespectful since people have already rehashed that angle in this thread, I just sincerely doubt you've never done any of those things.

As another poster pointed out, I think a lot of "disrespect" people are apparently sensing just stems from their own pessimistic interpretations of people's behavior/the limited communication allowed in this game. Especially online where things are ambiguous and it's easy to assume the worst.

I guess all these paragraphs are just fluff surrounding the main issue that people are getting mad over Pikachu waving and saying his name at them. Also, if you think Villager giving the "sup" nodding motion via crouch spam looks like teabagging, why don't you have a seat over there..

StarForce

Smash Ace
Hyrule, Mushroom, Sarasaland, Nohr Kingdoms
I have a long list.
1- When a Zero Suit player beats me pretty easily without me inflicting past the 30% damage and hits UP *Is that all?* This prompts me to SD my second stock and leave after the results as I find it highly disrespectful.
2- Annoying Pikachu Thunder and Kirby Stone Spam. I use them both and Main Kirby in the 64 but I only spam Stone with CPUs
3- Little Macs. I'm not a good player and I find terror playing against them.
4- I am perfect with taunts to me if I SD and also I don't expect you to SD. It was my bad for not being careful. So don't expect me to pity SD for you but I won't taunt if you do. Unless your Mac and you do the side B on the edge of the screen. Usually hit Down with Zelda to wave goodbye.
5- When someone spams counter to everything. Why are there so many counter characters?
6- Eternal selection. Why does it take so much to select a character? Just move the cursor over your desired character since it saves the most user last used color/palette swap. and hit A and then Start. It's that simple. Some people look like they go into a labyrinth to find their characters.

Red5_snt

Smash Cadet
NNID
Red5_snt
3DS FC
5429-7893-3202
While I don't find it disrespectful..more like annoying I hate when people taunt at the beginning of the match. It's a time waster when it is entirely possible to run out of time online. I get it's a form of respect, but I usually start off by closing the gap immediately only to have to jump out of it last second because they wanted to "bow". Can't you do something less time consuming like crouching or...idk taunting after a kill when it doesn't matter? I personally don't really care about the whole respect thing, because it's unlikely that I will ever find out who this person is. I came there to play a game... not to sip tea with my pinky out and curtsy every time my character mashes A and doesn't die. Get off the high horse... and just play the game.

Are you guys actually disrespected by taunts, et. al, or do they just minorly vex you? I just find it hard to believe so many people you encounter are taunting purely for disrespect/spite.

Maybe I taunt at the start of the match because it's fun and sometimes people taunt back and it's a nice way to say hi? Most people take For Glory so seriously that they just rush in for some free hits though, and I don't really care because it's a game in the end.

Maybe I switched to your main because I wanted some dittos, or at worst wanted to teach or learn something? Maybe I left after one match because I had something to do/I just didn't feel like another/I don't owe anyone some undefined amount of matches in something that isn't a tournament? I'm not saying you don't have a right to find these things disrespectful since people have already rehashed that angle in this thread, I just sincerely doubt you've never done any of those things.

As another poster pointed out, I think a lot of "disrespect" people are apparently sensing just stems from their own pessimistic interpretations of people's behavior/the limited communication allowed in this game. Especially online where things are ambiguous and it's easy to assume the worst.

I guess all these paragraphs are just fluff surrounding the main issue that people are getting mad over Pikachu waving and saying his name at them. Also, if you think Villager giving the "sup" nodding motion via crouch spam looks like teabagging, why don't you have a seat over there..
Also, All of this. It's a game... chill out and have fun.

Demonstormkill

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3926-6919-7589

For someone saying to take it easy you seem kinda critical of every single person complaining in the complaint thread. Anyway, I never have left after a single close game, so your assumption is wrong. No one's arguing that anyone owes anyone anything, though.

Last edited:

VibraKnife

Smash Rookie
I find that many people take what I do online as "disrespectful", even though I frequent For Fun.

It's frustrating, as I have started opening with Little Mac not because of how OP he is, but because I've been trying to learn him. I've been experimenting with what I do, and I try to play the way people wouldn't expect.

For that, I have been dubbed "just another annoying Mac".

All that work for nothing.

MioTinto

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-2162-7019
I'm not a particularly salty fighter, but switching to my character and/or a clone of said character after winning over me really rustles my jimmies (obligatory joke about a certain swedish leader of a certain political party). I've had at least two instances of my opponent switching to Dark Pit after fighting my Pit, one of which was swapping between Greninja and LM before wrecking me as Dark Pit, and that only because he spammed his arm too much. :sadsheep:

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
Oh boy, haven't checked this thread in a while. And look what happens... we go off topic. Guys, the keyword here is disrespectful, not things that you personally find annoying. Just because someone plays Lil Mac, doesn't mean that's disrespectful, what if punch-out is their favorite game of all time? Complaining about someone using a character's good move? Complaints about edge guarding? Complaints about someone using your main when they have no idea that the character is your main? When someone takes too long in CSS? Taunting? Well taunting is okay because you CAN personally find it disrespectful.

I have no hope for this thread. There's already plenty of threads regarding things you find annoying in matches.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Oh boy, haven't checked this thread in a while. And look what happens... we go off topic. Guys, the keyword here is disrespectful, not things that you personally find annoying. Just because someone plays Lil Mac, doesn't mean that's disrespectful, what if punch-out is their favorite game of all time? Complaining about someone using a character's good move? Complaints about edge guarding? Complaints about someone using your main when they have no idea that the character is your main? When someone takes too long in CSS? Taunting? Well taunting is okay because you CAN personally find it disrespectful.

I have no hope for this thread. There's already plenty of threads regarding things you find annoying in matches.
Look back at the first two posts. You'll see it de-railed rather quickly :-)

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
I don't know who the hell I should even listen to. I get people complaining about others posting things that is just annoying and then I get stuff like this. I was saying the same as you,but after a while I got tired of the complaints so that is why I said it was going off topic. Now I am kind of agreeing with the people who say a lot of these posts are off-topic, but then "The whole point of the thread is to express your opinions" makes it a lot more difficult for me to decide whether it should even be considered of topic since it is what YOU find disrespectful.

Okay I'm going to edit the first post to say what is not allowed since it will just get people fighting over what is off-topic or not.

StarForce

Smash Ace
Hyrule, Mushroom, Sarasaland, Nohr Kingdoms
I don't know who the hell I should even listen to. I get people complaining about others posting things that is just annoying and then I get stuff like this. I was saying the same as you,but after a while I got tired of the complaints so that is why I said it was going off topic. Now I am kind of agreeing with the people who say a lot of these posts are off-topic, but then "The whole point of the thread is to express your opinions" makes it a lot more difficult for me to decide whether it should even be considered of topic since it is what YOU find disrespectful.

Okay I'm going to edit the first post to say what is not allowed since it will just get people fighting over what is off-topic or not.
Well on careful analysis Many if not all including me seems to misunderstand the topic post as I read carefully. But perhaps the topic name is the one wrong? I think with the new edit with the things you don't want included pretty much rules out all posts. It should be renamed "Which taunts situations you find disrespectful/insulting" Looking back to my list of 6, #2,5 & 6 are annoying stuff so they don't really fit here making it a 3 only and #3 is a personal problem so out it goes. I guess it becomes a list of two. #1 the Zamus insult (if used for that end) and #4; I'm here to fight not be pitied at if I sd and you go sd too. I don't pity sd myself for you so lets play as it should. If I sd, keep the pressure, it was my bad for not playing correctly. If you sd well though luck for you, I ain't visiting Brinstar's "depths" for you. I guess those two would only fit in here based on the description.

Last edited:

Gyorg the Yossarian

Smash Cadet
I don't care about what people do, as long as it isn't cheap (infinite combos for rosalina and peach, bowsercide).
also I taunt a lot as i play DeDeDe, which is hilarious (WompWompWomp!)
When i get spiked (I know, it really isn't rude), that rustles my jimmies. Though imma hypocrite with a capital H as i like to kill off the stage with DeDeDe's up-b which is a spike, a suicide, and afterwards i down taunt.
Hilarious.

Last edited:

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
taunting after a good combo they pull off on me plus ledge guarding hard to the point were i think they really show off it just makes me feel really angry about it but I don't want to be. it's a big mess at times

Moonlighter

Smash Cadet
Counterpicking to your own character is one thing. Counterpicking your colour is a whole other story. Like, what the hell.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
Counterpicking to your own character is one thing. Counterpicking your colour is a whole other story. Like, what the hell.
Someone did that to me the other day when I was using Ike. Even worse was that I lost against that I lost to them,but I am still green with Ike since I just picked him up.

Top Bottom