• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things to know about Roy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GENX

Smash Rookie
Hey, this isn't much of a guide because I see there already is one, but it's more of a tips @ tricks book. After playing Roy for almost a year now as my main these are just little and big things I've picked up on. I'll also probably be moving around everywhere with this so just stay with me I guess.

First off, spacing.
Lots of Roy players seem to have trouble with Roy's spacing. It's hard to space out Roy's attacks mainly because you're on the defense half to most the time. I can honestly say though a lot of Roy players I've seen don't take advantage of Roy's awesome Dash dance, Wave dash, and Dash cancel. Roy's dash dance length is actually pretty far which oddly enough makes crouch cancelling smashes a bit harder since we have to run into them which can make them pretty predictable, but it also means we have tons of length to dash dance around in. You can also dash forward to the end of his dash dance length without getting out of it, then dash backwards and forward again to get distance on people.
Then there's his wave dash which quite frankly is awesome. If you can master Roy's wave dash then you can easily dash dance, dash forward, dash cancel to go backwards, repeat. I think defensive spacing with Roy is probably one of the best things. It can help you be wary of things like avoiding Falcon's knee game. Roy has a great defensive game if you know how to use it. For instance shield-dashing is good with Roy too, but kind of weird to know where to incorporate it. (Shield-dashing being holding shield with the R button and wavedashing with the L button.)
I believe Roy's F-air to be very under-used even though I find it one of his best skills. Because if you can jump backwards it's great to jump backwards and forward air fast fall (Shffl) to add to your defensive play. It can also be shielded right out of it if you l-cancel it which is what makes it so good to do F-air into a shielded grab or even a regular grab. Roy's defense is all and all really his best offense.

Another under-used thing about Roy are his tilts. He has a great Utilt just like marth and it's great on platform maps or against floaties to chain them. It's more of a hit and then onto your next move strategy though. Not as good as Marth's but still useful. Then there's his forward tilt! I don't see people using the forward tilt much even though it's one of roy's only moves that actually has some decent knockback disregarding his B attacks. It's fast, effective, and can be traded in for a faster forward smash, not to kill but to knockback. Like some Marth's would do a backward wave-dash f-smash( Which Roy's is also pretty good), Roy might do a backward wave-dash F-tilt. A straight slash the whole length of his body and the hit back is really nice to keep your opponent away from you. Then of course there's his down tilt which is no doubt awesome, but it can be overused and becomes predictable if you use it too much.

DED is no doubt an AWESOME move, but some people use it way too much. It's got great knockback and I love it when it works, but what if you're caught in a situation where you go into DED and then your opponent reads right through you and shields. Then, you get grabbed no doubt about it, and getting grabbed with Roy sucks. Mostly because it's easy to combo roy out of a grab. It's good though to remember when that does happen to tech away from your opponent, always away never towards, or sometimes just to simply get up with no direction. Mostly I use DED to combo, or to edgeguard on occasion.
Roy's Uair and Dair... His Uair some people try to use to juggle, but any Roy player who's tried doing this on people who know how to get out of it know it's hopeless. It has no knockback, it just brings them down to the ground where they can immediately get up and combo you. Sometimes if it's used wrong means death. His Dair on the other hand can be good in some situations - On the floor it sends the enemy up, and if your really risky you can try to do some cool head spikes with it which are a once in a lifetime sort of thing.

Roy can do a triple grab from 0%.... grab - fthrow- grab- fthrow - grab- fthrow to fair to grab to fthrow to nair. Is my favorite thing to do from 0%. It's a pretty great combo, and works most of the time. NEVER throw up with Roy. His air game SUCKS, and you usually have to stay on the ground. A cool thing you can do with Roy though is backwards wavedash off the edge, DI away so you don't grab it, jump into an immediate bair. This can kill people if you get it right. You can also backwards wavedash off the edge into an immediate forward DED stall, then wait and jump immediate bair. It's my favorite way to edgeguard.

Most of this is just ramble at the moment, but... Thoughts?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Most of this is just incorrect

:phone:

GENX

Smash Rookie
Yeah sorry about that most of it is just useless ramble that came out of the top of my head this morning.

ike_love

Smash Apprentice
Hey Genx, don't worry, the roy thread is one of the hardest threads to write in due to the fact that everybody sucks at roy ( because roy sucks ). You were actually right about maybe half the the stuff you said, but you should try to play some better competition to put together a better game plan. Anyway, this is all useless, because roy's going to be top-DLC-tier in smash universe, you heard it here first folks.

GENX

Smash Rookie
Durrell a lock would probably be nice. I agree Roy deserves his spot on the tier list down low since he doesn't have any hitstun, easy to combo, fast aller, laggy, etc., etc. But I still feel like he can be played really well. Look at neo for example.

:phone:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom