• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Thinner character, bigger appeal!" Paper Mario for SSB4; Thread migration soon!

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
How would you feel if Paper Mario was a Mario Clone?
:confused:

:ohwell:

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Basically.

It really doesn't fit the intent of adding him and if they REALLY want a mario clone, there's dr mario and they even already have a base from melee.

That would be very questionable and in this case, I would honestly wonder why they even took the effort to make a whole character that shouldn't be clone material into a clone.

But that wouldn't be THAT bad because stage (which is really looking good so far).

It would also break my tease theory because why revealing a WiiU stage with a clone if he could be revealed without? Which would make a WiiU stage unlikely :cry:

If my theory is true tough, then it's like confirming Ridley...as a Charizard clone (that would be worse though).

EDIT: I noticed that every time I read or write a :facepalm:, I'm always playing the "fall head first" sound effect from PM64 in my head. That's funny.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
If my theory is true tough, then it's like confirming Ridley...as a Yoshi clone (that would be worse though).
Fix'd :troll:

Edit: As in, it makes even less sense.

And although I'm not a huge fan of character support threads, I can't deny the fun of Paper Mario, so add me as a supporter.

Last edited:

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
How would you feel if Paper Mario was a Mario Clone?
If I had to choose between PM being a Mario clone and not having him in, I'd rather not have him in frankly. It just wouldn't work, it doesn't represent his series and how beautifully quirky it is.

If they were gonna make PM a clone then I wouldn't mind too much if he was a G&W clone as at last then he is still retaining some quirkiness and as we know, some of the clones like Melee Falco and Ganondorf have become semi-clones so they might end up feeling quite a lot different from each other.

Squishyfrog

Smash Rookie
NNID
Squishyfrog
Could I be added to the supporters list? I had been softly supporting Paper Mario for awhile but after the 3DS stage reveal I decided to start stalking this thread and I realized just how much I want Paper Mario in the game, lol.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Changed my profile pic to be a bit more related to Paper Mario. :p
Haven't posted in a while due to being obsessed with playing TTYD. So, quick update on my BP only run of the game. Just beat Ch. 5, and I'm doing well so far. Somehow, I haven't gotten a single game over. Though, I must say this; dear god I hate crazee dayzees! Not even the amazy dayzees! I don't know how, but every time I play this game, they (along with hyper enemies) always make me use up all of my life shrooms. I end up wasting them on my partner (which I think is a dumb addition, btw) every single time... Somehow, I managed to live. I need to tell myself to run away from those awful things from now on. That said, I have to add that BP only make this game a lot more exciting and fun.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Changed my profile pic to be a bit more related to Paper Mario. :p
Haven't posted in a while due to being obsessed with playing TTYD. So, quick update on my BP only run of the game. Just beat Ch. 5, and I'm doing well so far. Somehow, I haven't gotten a single game over. Though, I must say this; dear god I hate crazee dayzees! Not even the amazy dayzees! I don't know how, but every time I play this game, they (along with hyper enemies) always make me use up all of my life shrooms. I end up wasting them on my partner (which I think is a dumb addition, btw) every single time... Somehow, I managed to live. I need to tell myself to run away from those awful things from now on. That said, I have to add that BP only make this game a lot more exciting and fun.
Ah, yeah the life shrooms can be very annoying to be used properly.

Because I broke my old headphones some days ago, I'm still at just finished ch1. I got new one yesterday, but I wanted to test them on my pc and it took the whole day (listening TTYD music has never been so good, I can clearly discern sounds from behind and there's a lot of those).

I will play a lot today tough (and also because spm...curious to see what I think about it).

But I can't wait to use those headphones on my TV (I also wonder if surround would be better than my old ones). Because I REALLY care about my audio experience in any game, but especially this one as I'm aware how good it is. They have noise reduction which really blocks your ears from any ambient sound (you hear almost nothing, but the headphones).

Also, I frankly need to just get off this site and just chill. I don't know why I'm worried so much about my thread where it's pretty much guaranteed to not die until release. I guess I'm too used to the situation before 4 fe rep which was really tedious (just sal leak didn't help at all).

Really, I should take a break because there's literally no use for me to not have turned on a console since that reveal. I'm getting way too much worried about supports :)

Also, dayzee are annoying. I hate the sleep attack (I hope you had a big amount of tasty tunic because I think they are cheap and I think they cure sleep, but I'm not sure). Unless post game, don't even try the amazee one except if you have Gombella out to get the tattle and run away after. I had to have 60 hp and I was close to die on one turn. But really, if you can, tattle it RIGHT AWAY. They're so annoying to get an encounter that you would miss a big chance to get trolled in post game.

Ok, I need to get off this keyboard like seriously, I haven't even touched the disc since last April when I revived the thread and got OP.

btw, love the avatar.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Ah, yeah the life shrooms can be very annoying to be used properly.

Because I broke my old headphones some days ago, I'm still at just finished ch1. I got new one yesterday, but I wanted to test them on my pc and it took the whole day (listening TTYD music has never been so good, I can clearly discern sounds from behind and there's a lot of those).

I will play a lot today tough (and also because spm...curious to see what I think about it).

But I can't wait to use those headphones on my TV (I also wonder if surround would be better than my old ones). Because I REALLY care about my audio experience in any game, but especially this one as I'm aware how good it is. They have noise reduction which really blocks your ears from any ambient sound (you hear almost nothing, but the headphones).

Also, I frankly need to just get off this site and just chill. I don't know why I'm worried so much about my thread where it's pretty much guaranteed to not die until release. I guess I'm too used to the situation before 4 fe rep which was really tedious (just sal leak didn't help at all).

Really, I should take a break because there's literally no use for me to not have turned on a console since that reveal. I'm getting way too much worried about supports :)

Also, dayzee are annoying. I hate the sleep attack (I hope you had a big amount of tasty tunic because I think they are cheap and I think they cure sleep, but I'm not sure). Unless post game, don't even try the amazee one except if you have Gombella out to get the tattle and run away after. I had to have 60 hp and I was close to die on one turn. But really, if you can, tattle it RIGHT AWAY. They're so annoying to get an encounter that you would miss a big chance to get trolled in post game.

Ok, I need to get off this keyboard like seriously, I haven't even touched the disc since last April when I revived the thread and got OP.

btw, love the avatar.
I don't think that tasty tonics can cure sleep, because you can't access your items while sleeping. I believe they're just for poison. Anyway, when you start playing, I actually suggest a BP only run. It's a lot more fun than raising HP because it just makes battles take longer. The lack of HP makes you take a strategic approach for every battle, using most of the badges you have equipped. It's a lot more fun, but I don't know how I'm going to handle the final boss. :ohwell:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I don't think that tasty tonics can cure sleep, because you can't access your items while sleeping. I believe they're just for poison. Anyway, when you start playing, I actually suggest a BP only run. It's a lot more fun than raising HP because it just makes battles take longer. The lack of HP makes you take a strategic approach for every battle, using most of the badges you have equipped. It's a lot more fun, but I don't know how I'm going to handle the final boss. :ohwell:
I'm actually going to do the most battles as possibles.

It's harder because endurance, but way more fun because we know how battles are so good here.

I tend to first balance all three and level as it needs. It depends on what I'm using, what I want to use on badges and it's not just HP, but keeping balance.

And do stylish every time just because. See, that's why I love battles, I want to stylish even with my SP on full. They are so satisfying.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
So, I just had a little thought. In Paper Mario's trailer, what other characters would be shown off animated as if they're part of the paper Mario world?

Blazeth

Smash Apprentice
So, I just had a little thought. In Paper Mario's trailer, what other characters would be shown off animated as if they're part of the paper Mario world?
I've always thought that if Paper Mario was to be shown off, it would be in other character's trailers with them finding a picture of him and him jumping out.
Perhaps one with Wario, so it could be a bit related.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
As I expected, I don't need to be there every time since I was gone for the whole day, played some hours at TTYD and it got some replies (btw, you're added @ GmanSir GmanSir ).

Speaking of supports, I noticed that some regulars at the Ridley thread are starting to come here. That's
but if you want to be added to the supporters list, you just need to ask me so it's more clear. I'd better do that on request than try to guess unless it's clear without really asking (but I can be picky at times so just ask to be sure to be added). There was actually problem with some people that showed their support because it wasn't a request, but I fixed those some weeks ago.

It's funny to see 2 probable tease to be my most wanted :) I hope I was right on Paper Mario though...no info this week on potd and next week, it's the week of August 11 (FYI, 14th anniversary of PM64 in Japan) and I think the direct is either on that week or the week after (August 20...sheech we have both a date on 2 different week, lol).

Btw, I should think about what I'll post on that day. I don't expect anything because Monday, but like last time, I'll do a special post anyway. Maybe it would have something to do with a review of the foundations of the series (there would be smrpg talk that's for sure, you can't ignore that it was the origins which is a major reasons why I still find this game to need love).

When you think about it, there's a lot of stuff to talk about smrog to PM64 in terms of what was kept and what was redefined.

Btw, it's unfortunately unlikely, but that's also the same reason I would want at least a trophy from smrpg. IMO, you just CANNOT talk about this series without smrpg because even if it's not from this series, it's still was the foundations of it and that for me is a big part of the series's greatness.

That is me even if I think that PM64 was more enjoyable than smrpg (that's literally just because preference in design and me not being that old).

Although, if you have a better idea, just tell it here.

Now, I played TTYD and due to me doing optional stuff, I'm only at flurrie house after necklace. Can't wait for that cutscene :D

So, I just want to tell some fun facts because me having glitch hunted this game, I know a lot of funny stuff...

The peach mail ringtone is actually my skype one. I don't have a mobile nor do I plan to get one, but if I get one, you bet that it would be this for sure.

Bps are important. Really, it's annoying to decide which one to level up. Which makes this even better IMO because you really can't survuve by only leveling one. You may with BP only, but with 5 FP, you're going to have a had time.

I got access to Rogueport West right after CH1. Didn't know there wasn't any ch2 trigger, but just loading zones I think.

Not a lot of people are aware of this expect speedruns and glitch hunt, but you can do the West shop code as soon as you enter it. This saves you 63 coins to get the info. There's no trigger so it's pretty much hidden and you only need 14 coins. It gives you access, but there's ch2 trigger after so it;s just me doing things early.

I seem to surprise myself to remember a whole bunch of star pieces locations. I didn't expect to remember them.

I unlocked the door before trying, but I think you could get on the rightmost house in Rogueport East by using the corner clip glitch I figured out like the ch3 one. Get on the locks after you have Paper Mode and just jump on the fence then the boxes to the top. The uses of it is passing trough the boxes gap and get the shine sprite without yoshi. Though, I think you would softlock after because you're stuck here and have to kill by water.

I got the worst lottery number choice 0090. So much bland.

The corridor to get to the ch2 pipe is always there, but is blocked by the wall before it "opens".

Here's a funny free look one, the flurrie cutsne where she realised that she doesn't wear her necklace, you can see the top of her head on camera, but what is hidden is that she actually wear the necklace! That was funny to see that she make a fuss about it while her model is always with necklace.

I remember having too much trouble in the plane over the pipe map. I couldn't see the gap on the right to get to the switch.

I like Vivian's text. Good idea to have her as partner after.

Battles are so much fun because stylish and thinking. I really want to fight anyone just because of how satisfying they are. I love them so much, best battles in RPG which are supposed to be repetitive and they don't get old.

And I'm on the save in her house. I will try to finish ch3 tomorrow. It would be my like 20th? time I do it. I got annoyed at one point, but I haven't done it since a while so it should be fun. For the sake of fun, I'll try to get my glitch under an hour. It's really hard to do without practice like almolicious does prior to speedruns. For him, it quite consistent, but I haven't tried to do it on console since forever. Would be interesting, I'll time myself :)

I will post my progress as I play and other fun facts. This thread has enough activity for me to do it safely now and I love it.

btw, lol @ SchAlternate SchAlternate I don't follow BITF, but I love this one :awesome:

EDIT: That was the latest one? I need to see comments...

Last edited:

tsvlink25

Smash Apprentice
NNID
tsvlink25
3DS FC
1719-3628-9238
Since there is no confirmation of a direct or new character reveal for Monday or Tuesday of next week (like when they revealed Lucina and Robin), I'm thinking that Paper Mario won't be revealed for his anniversary..
However, Sakurai did say that they were nearing the bottom of the newcomer videos--so, maybe further newcomers won't have videos? Or, maybe only extremely big hyped ones will--like Ridley.
I hope Paper Mario gets a trailer, obviously, but this makes me wonder if he'll be a newcomer either kept secret until after release, or if he'll just be revealed without a trailer.

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
I'm really feeling the illegitimacy of this having read another article which, seems to suggest Mr. Game and Watch is a newcomer.

When, in fact, it would be his third appearance.

Hmmmm…

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
That seems like Nintendo to release the Wii U Version around November! @ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 I think your a great leader, If Paper Mario is not in the Game we REALLY need to push DLC! I want Paper Mario in so bad because I bought TTYD and SPM and Sticker Star all around Launch Day! TTYD is very nostalgic to me!

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Since there is no confirmation of a direct or new character reveal for Monday or Tuesday of next week (like when they revealed Lucina and Robin), I'm thinking that Paper Mario won't be revealed for his anniversary..
However, Sakurai did say that they were nearing the bottom of the newcomer videos--so, maybe further newcomers won't have videos? Or, maybe only extremely big hyped ones will--like Ridley.
I hope Paper Mario gets a trailer, obviously, but this makes me wonder if he'll be a newcomer either kept secret until after release, or if he'll just be revealed without a trailer.
Of course he won't, but if the direct is in the same week, it'll be close enough.

Several reveal relevant to a date was done with some difference in the date. Most of them are like that actually and very rarely happened on the same date.

I said it multiple time already, but if there was a tease, it's before release. Revealing him while hiding the WiiU stage suggest this to be a trailer setup. Basically, it would surprise me to have a trailer with no stage reveal. In fact, that's why I don't expect this stage to be revealed in potd. So, I don't worry about getting a trailer what I wonder is was I right or completely wrong?

We'll know in a month anyway.

That leak is fake. In the old leak thread, every leak with Paper Mario was too bad to be considered. I was sad :(

That seems like Nintendo to release the Wii U Version around November! @ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 I think your a great leader, If Paper Mario is not in the Game we REALLY need to push DLC! I want Paper Mario in so bad because I bought TTYD and SPM and Sticker Star all around Launch Day! TTYD is very nostalgic to me!
Going to be honest: I don't know and I'm not sure.

I agree that having 1 and likely 2 stages just that helps me a lot. The problem is every DLC speculation would be endless for something that nobody know if it'll happen (let me remind you that the only evidence that it'll happen is Sakurai said to consider it and the sal leak which I don't consider trusted enough to talk about this). What this means is that you could hope for the whole release life (4-5 years and that's assuming another sequel which I hate to do) for absolutely no guarantee. I don't want to false hype myself endlessly.

His chances are already good anyway imo if there's DLC. That's even without the tease theory because it reps TTYD on 3ds, it makes a WiiU stage likely in itself. Having 2 stages and no playable character (with the stage being imo very different to the 2 platformer one) is unlikely, but there's a very good possibility if it's the case: him being planned, but time constraints or other reasons make him not in the roster.

What makes me think that this case is even more unlikely is the tease theory. I just want to remind you something: Sakurai would NEVER give false hope. By declaring that this stage exists while being aware of request, he would have to clear some statements to just be sure. The fact that he didn't do it and not even telling it is a good sign. The name? He had to mention it no matter how you would say it. HOWEVER, I question why he didn't say Paper Mario SERIES. It's clear that it's implied, but just telling the name is something that is... kinda confusing. If he actually meant the character which would be a valid interpretation, he's in. If he meant the series, he's likely anyway considering the circumstances.

On that note, what did he implied by saying "firt time ever"? If I say this, the first time would have to be obvious and even implied beforehand because of the word "ever". It was not implied to get the stage which suggests that it was before and in this case, suggest playable.

And just the love of TTYD itself is a big sign. The week after the anniversary of the same game. Mentioning the FULL NAME of the game while he didn't for the picture JUST ABOVE is a big sign.

Let me ask you something: why "Paper Mario: Sticker Star" was NOT mentioned while "Paper Mario: The Thousand-year Door" was?

He has unlimited characters limits or at least enough to write it. There's no real reason to not mention one game while the other was. I'll tell you why it suggests tease and I think everyone here would understand this.

From what you can gather with general opinion and even the answers on the question Nintendo asked, it's basically safe to say the following:

EDIT: invert the > sign. I completely got this wrong lol.

SS>>>>>SPM>>PM64>>>TTYD

That's the general opinion. Big hate on Sticker Star, slight on spm (which imo, shouldn't exists) with decent praise, good love and praise on PM64 and of course, most of the loves and most of the praise are by far on TTYD. It's safe to say that it's the most appreciated game of the series and on that matter, the most known one.

I do not think it's coincidence to not mention the least appreciated game while mentioning the most appreciated while both games got rep equally.

That's why it's likely a tease: him designing the tease for us and that is selected targeting. All we would have to do is wait to just not have any doubts. It's just abnormal that he didn't cleared any statement on any possible newcomers while Sakurai would've have known that me and other supporters would be hoping even more.

This is why when you ask about DLC, I say, wait for release BEFORE. He has good chances from the start so let's just wait to get our hope crushed before maybe doing something.

And honestly, if it was a tease, I will love him forever: I interpret teases as a tribute to the fanbase.

You're added @ TheFearsomeRyan TheFearsomeRyan

Last edited:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Paper mario would be an excellent addition to the roster. With the new paper mario stage I can finally see this happening.

Jeanne

Smash Apprentice
I just want mah gurl Vivian as Marios Fire ball attack. IS THAT SO MUCH TO ASK FOR??? Also I totally support his limitless inclusion (or even an alt for mario) though I still remain sceptical on his chances..

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Count me in as a supporter.
Also I hope I won't get bashed for this but I think his movesets should be mostly based off Sticker Star...

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I just want mah gurl Vivian as Marios Fire ball attack. IS THAT SO MUCH TO ASK FOR??? Also I totally support his limitless inclusion (or even an alt for mario) though I still remain sceptical on his chances..
I understand. Being sceptical is probably what most people do after hearing about a tease (I mean it was me before living this one except Ridley which I did research, but I'll admit that on first impression, he was deconfirmed for me which is basically me being sceptical anyway).

What I want to tell you is that if it's a tease, that's really good for you. It would be more surprising if it ever happens which is basically what happened every time a character teased is finally revealed. Just look at previous cases, mostly mind blown and a few called the reveal before. I love this because yes there's a lot of debates that may get some frustrated, but in the end, everyone realize that it was intentional. That's why Sakurai likes to make us wait; for a suspense effect.

How long we'll wait, that however I can't tell, but we'll know this month most likely.

Count me in as a supporter.
Also I hope I won't get bashed for this but I think his movesets should be mostly based off Sticker Star...
There's going to most likely have moves from sticker star. I have no problem with that, but not the whole moveset. I think a majority isn't very good because..well, the series is reputed that the first 3 games being very memorable. Since it is to rep his series no matter how its entity is considered, I guess having some moves from sticker star makes sense. I just don't think having a moveset where most of the moves came from something that mostly diverse from the first 3 games (even spm had enough in common) is a good thing in a playstyle perspective. Since every movesets are welcome however, I would put it in the OP anyway if you do one (at the very least, it gives ideas for others too so It's a win-win in any cases).

In fact, because of that stage, I now consider this to be unlikely. If Sakurai wants to be broad in repping like the stage, I don't really think that most of the moves will be based on sticker star and would have a certain diversity.

You could pack the first 2 game in one as there's a lot of similarity. Spm would complement this pack. Sticker star is more something that would be good if it has the remains. The reason I say this is that what I noticed is that most of the potentials are in first 3 games while a tons are in first 2. So, the moveset would have the first 2 as base complemented by spm and finished by Sticker star. There's good stuff preserved by sticker star (like the design is the same which is very good) that should be used as moveset. I just don't think they would go that way, but I agree that it shouldn't get ignored.

Basically, just be open if it's not.

So, TTYD update.

I beat ch2 after TTYD and now at the save in Rogueport center. I must say that one thing happened that I totally didn't expect and I even wonder if people here knew about that.

That flurrie cutscene...for Ridley thread regulars, that's why I did that shipping proposition a while ago. I just found this way too awkward that I just wanted to stop this talk by bringing this expecting to not be liked. I turned out to be the opposite...please stop talking about that (I mean it's kinda gross honestly). Anyway, that music...

Doors are so weird in this game. To enter to her room, you have to exit the house and reenter...why not just activating the flag after getting flurrie? Seems like those flags had limited implementation, but some are weird.

I like the punie music. Mainly because of the weird sounds.

Flurrie is useful for glitching. You can either lock the side you're facing or unload a big part of the map with her. The later has some weird side effect that once, I heard 3 music at the same time :)

I like how in the tutorial (which the dev called "lecture") it says that she can attack with her "stage presence". I'll let you figure that one out.

I found the punie transport surprisingly not annoying because I knew where to go. I will admit that it took me a lot of time to figure out the bubbles room.

I never understood those punie mechanics and jabby part. All I know is that if at some frame interval you go in their direction, the game assumes you have them. This is seen several time in the tas (which unfortunately, turned out to be outdated shortly after it was released).

I did not know that there was a hidden shop in the tree and I wonder who knew about that. To spent so much time in this game and not know about it is honestly an accomplishment. I don't understand, but I wonder, what does the jabby kid do?

The water room has a dummy cyan green background. Don't ask why they didn't made a default black one.

I finally remembered the 4 symbols code. In 2 of my playtrough, I had to try everything because I forgot, lol.

Again, I remember a lot of star pieces locations, but with spin jump and panel flip, this would be hard to get the rest.

Battles are still not tiring. I had to crank the volume for the Magnus fight because the music is so good. I still love when it says "Can't flee this fight". Just what I need to get pumped.

I still think the last x-naut falling head first was a good PM64 reference.

and that's pretty much it. Now, I'll do optional stuff and go to ch3. I will time myself for my glitch with a speedrun timer. Never got it since like forever on console so this shall be interesting. It's hard without practicing.

I'll enjoy this ch, but I expect to be familiar, it is the ch I did from start to finish the most because glitch hunting. So much that it got annoying when I just wanted to go fast lol.

Now, I wonder exactly: HOW would he be revealed in a trailer with WiiU stage reveal? I expect something hidden to not be expected where it is NOT obvious, but you should give ideas (there's only 3 in the OP and there're awesome, but I think it would hype to hear more).

Ideas?

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
There's going to most likely have moves from sticker star. I have no problem with that, but not the whole moveset. I think a majority isn't very good because..well, the series is reputed that the first 3 games being very memorable. Since it is to rep his series no matter how its entity is considered, I guess having some moves from sticker star makes sense. I just don't think having a moveset where most of the moves came from something that mostly diverse from the first 3 games (even spm had enough in common) is a good thing in a playstyle perspective. Since every movesets are welcome however, I would put it in the OP anyway if you do one (at the very least, it gives ideas for others too so It's a win-win in any cases).

In fact, because of that stage, I now consider this to be unlikely. If Sakurai wants to be broad in repping like the stage, I don't really think that most of the moves will be based on sticker star and would have a certain diversity.

You could pack the first 2 game in one as there's a lot of similarity. Spm would complement this pack. Sticker star is more something that would be good if it has the remains. The reason I say this is that what I noticed is that most of the potentials are in first 3 games while a tons are in first 2. So, the moveset would have the first 2 as base complemented by spm and finished by Sticker star. There's good stuff preserved by sticker star (like the design is the same which is very good) that should be used as moveset. I just don't think they would go that way, but I agree that it shouldn't get ignored.

Basically, just be open if it's not.

So, TTYD update.

I beat ch2 after TTYD and now at the save in Rogueport center. I must say that one thing happened that I totally didn't expect and I even wonder if people here knew about that.

That flurrie cutscene...for Ridley thread regulars, that's why I did that shipping proposition a while ago. I just found this way too awkward that I just wanted to stop this talk by bringing this expecting to not be liked. I turned out to be the opposite...please stop talking about that (I mean it's kinda gross honestly). Anyway, that music...

Doors are so weird in this game. To enter to her room, you have to exit the house and reenter...why not just activating the flag after getting flurrie? Seems like those flags had limited implementation, but some are weird.

I like the punie music. Mainly because of the weird sounds.

Flurrie is useful for glitching. You can either lock the side you're facing or unload a big part of the map with her. The later has some weird side effect that once, I heard 3 music at the same time :)

I like how in the tutorial (which the dev called "lecture") it says that she can attack with her "stage presence". I'll let you figure that one out.

I found the punie transport surprisingly not annoying because I knew where to go. I will admit that it took me a lot of time to figure out the bubbles room.

I never understood those punie mechanics and jabby part. All I know is that if at some frame interval you go in their direction, the game assumes you have them. This is seen several time in the tas (which unfortunately, turned out to be outdated shortly after it was released).

I did not know that there was a hidden shop in the tree and I wonder who knew about that. To spent so much time in this game and not know about it is honestly an accomplishment. I don't understand, but I wonder, what does the jabby kid do?

The water room has a dummy cyan green background. Don't ask why they didn't made a default black one.

I finally remembered the 4 symbols code. In 2 of my playtrough, I had to try everything because I forgot, lol.

Again, I remember a lot of star pieces locations, but with spin jump and panel flip, this would be hard to get the rest.

Battles are still not tiring. I had to crank the volume for the Magnus fight because the music is so good. I still love when it says "Can't flee this fight". Just what I need to get pumped.

I still think the last x-naut falling head first was a good PM64 reference.

and that's pretty much it. Now, I'll do optional stuff and go to ch3. I will time myself for my glitch with a speedrun timer. Never got it since like forever on console so this shall be interesting. It's hard without practicing.

I'll enjoy this ch, but I expect to be familiar, it is the ch I did from start to finish the most because glitch hunting. So much that it got annoying when I just wanted to go fast lol.

Now, I wonder exactly: HOW would he be revealed in a trailer with WiiU stage reveal? I expect something hidden to not be expected where it is NOT obvious, but you should give ideas (there's only 3 in the OP and there're awesome, but I think it would hype to hear more).

Ideas?
Just most of the moves in the moveset I made has Sticker Star moves.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Post it anyway. To be honest, it would give ideas for others so I would most likely put it in the OP.
Ok, some moves have explanations but some don't because they pretty much explain themselves:
Entrance: Paper Mario jumps in crumbled up but then unravels himself.
Neutral Attack: Hammer swing
Dash Attack: Leap
Up Tilt: Eek hammer uppercut: Only deals 1% damage but will send you high.
Side Tilt: Baseball bat swing
Down Tilt: Spike helmet: Ducks and puts on spike hat, will damage opponents if they jump on it.
Up Smash: Chill hammer uppercut: This move won't send you very high but will freeze you temporarily.
Side Smash: Scissor shot: Paper Mario throws a pair of scissors. Does more damage than knockback.
Down Smash: Downward hammer bash
Up Aerial: Fan wind shot: Acts like Megaman's air shooter except longer ranged but won't send you as high.
Forward Aerial: Burn hammer swing
Back Aerial: Slap hammer swing
Neutral Aerial: Aerial hurl hammer throw
Down Aerial: Flip side: Acts like Mario Tornado.
Up Special: Super jump
Side Special: Water gun shot: Chargeable, acts a little like FLUDD except deals some damage
Neutral Special: Partner call: Paper Mario calls in one of the partners from the Paper Mario games that will attack. (Never played Paper Mario 64, so I don't know those partners), Goombella headbunks, Tippi reflects moves, and Kersti shoots a flash ball.
Down Special: Guitar strum: Chargeable, acts like a very small smart bomb kinda.
Grab: Clone jump grab
Pummel: Hammer whack
Forward, up, and back throw: Clones throw opponents.
Down throw: Clones disappear, Paper Mario spins hammer downward then whacks the hammer at the opponents.
Final Smash: Flashy Mario: Kersti combines with Mario making Mario Flash Mario making attacks stronger. When the Final Smash is used, Kersti doesn't appear in the neutral special.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Ok, some moves have explanations but some don't because they pretty much explain themselves:
Entrance: Paper Mario jumps in crumbled up but then unravels himself.
Neutral Attack: Hammer swing
Dash Attack: Leap
Up Tilt: Eek hammer uppercut: Only deals 1% damage but will send you high.
Side Tilt: Baseball bat swing
Down Tilt: Spike helmet: Ducks and puts on spike hat, will damage opponents if they jump on it.
Up Smash: Chill hammer uppercut: This move won't send you very high but will freeze you temporarily.
Side Smash: Scissor shot: Paper Mario throws a pair of scissors. Does more damage than knockback.
Down Smash: Downward hammer bash
Up Aerial: Fan wind shot: Acts like Megaman's air shooter except longer ranged but won't send you as high.
Forward Aerial: Burn hammer swing
Back Aerial: Slap hammer swing
Neutral Aerial: Aerial hurl hammer throw
Down Aerial: Flip side: Acts like Mario Tornado.
Up Special: Super jump
Side Special: Water gun shot: Chargeable, acts a little like FLUDD except deals some damage
Neutral Special: Partner call: Paper Mario calls in one of the partners from the Paper Mario games that will attack. (Never played Paper Mario 64, so I don't know those partners), Goombella headbunks, Tippi reflects moves, and Kersti shoots a flash ball.
Down Special: Guitar strum: Chargeable, acts like a very small smart bomb kinda.
Grab: Clone jump grab
Pummel: Hammer whack
Forward, up, and back throw: Clones throw opponents.
Down throw: Clones disappear, Paper Mario spins hammer downward then whacks the hammer at the opponents.
Final Smash: Flashy Mario: Kersti combines with Mario making Mario Flash Mario making attacks stronger. When the Final Smash is used, Kersti doesn't appear in the neutral special.
Some moves are actually good. I would like more explanation (the grab seems interesting, but I don't know what it is other than the name). I notice a lot of hammer which is present in every game (and can be modified in a lot of ways in first 2 games like you could have a burning one in TTYD with a badge). What I mean is that most of the hammers moves are not only from sticker star so I don't really consider the moves to be based on only this game.

In fact, I'm mostly curious by some moves because I want to hear more in the explanation (like assume I never played sticker star, it makes me clueless for some). The one I undersand sounds good like spike helmet (made a big moveset with this move already) or the scissors (maybe not as smash, but in itself, I like it). Other than that, sticker star only moves should be more explained. I never played spm and so far, I understand if someone makes move on it because of explanation.

So, if you don't want to, I guess I'll put it in the OP, but I could put it now and modify it if you edit it. I just think that it needs some details for me and probably others to understand.

Are you ok with this in the OP and you would detail it later? (though, not to put pression, but not much time is left before a diect comes so you should do it rather quickly if it's the case).

EDIT: also, final smash should at least be the same for defense.

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Some moves are actually good. I would like more explanation (the grab seems interesting, but I don't know what it is other than the name). I notice a lot of hammer which is present in every game (and can be modified in a lot of ways in first 2 games like you could have a burning one in TTYD with a badge). What I mean is that most of the hammers moves are not only from sticker star so I don't really consider the moves to be based on only this game.

In fact, I'm mostly curious by some moves because I want to hear more in the explanation (like assume I never played sticker star, it makes me clueless for some). The one I undersand sounds good like spike helmet (made a big moveset with this move already) or the scissors (maybe not as smash, but in itself, I like it). Other than that, sticker star only moves should be more explained. I never played spm and so far, I understand if someone makes move on it because of explanation.

So, if you don't want to, I guess I'll put it in the OP, but I could put it now and modify it if you edit it. I just think that it needs some details for me and probably others to understand.

Are you ok with this in the OP and you would detail it later? (though, not to put pression, but not much time is left before a diect comes so you should do it rather quickly if it's the case).

EDIT: also, final smash should at least be the same for defense.
Don't post it in the OP yet, first let me add in more explanations.
Also, note I made this moveset BEFORE I tried out the other Paper Mario's, so that's why it's mainly Sticker Star. :p

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Don't post it in the OP yet, first let me add in more explanations.
Also, note I made this moveset BEFORE I tried out the other Paper Mario's, so that's why it's mainly Sticker Star. :p
Mine has quite a lot of diversity so you should check it (tough, it is with switch),

I just finished chapter 3 and I realised that it's actually a lot harder than it looks. I don't remember to find it hard, but that may be because I want every tattles which means I always waste a partner turn. Knowing the shines sprites location helped me to upgrade everyone (I now even have enough for yoshi). Speaking of him, I got green and I wanted it because I like that color + default one (that also implies default name).

I was setting up for the glitch attempts and I got probably the best 4th wall joke ever. Use Gombella x ability on the blimp conductor while you're at glizville. Not only she makes a 4th wall joke, but she literally acknowledge and said she was sorry. No 4th wall joke got that far.

The glitch was way easier than I tough. That's because comparing to right after I found it, I had no idea how it worked which means that any setup I would found was conjecture. Now that I know it's a corner clip, you just have to hold a as much as you can. Spin jump helps with the timing and makes it obvious where you were, but doesn't add any high. Here's the timer after I got it:

Remember that it took me hours to get it the second time after I found it on the same day. I was totally clueless back then.

Here's why it's harder than it looks: the enemies are quite annoying sometimes and getting a bad conditions makes it even worse. Add my first partner turn being wasted on tattles (sometimes, require to tattles 3 times) and it becomes quite hard. That really shows how you have to use your badges accordingly (btw, your chance of success if you didn't leveled your bp is quite low, you need bp and enough fp). I only needed hp quite late in the ch to level them up, but really, bp are good here.

I'm so risky with superguard. I don't know, but it's like I just want to try anyway JUST to not receive damage. I actually lost a lot of hp because I don't like pressing a with damage dodge on me and the p one. I almost lost to shadow queen on first playtrough because of that until the rare superguard I got on her saved me. It may be bad in the long run.

I hate magikoopas. They trolled me really solid (3 tattles makes it even worse because I can't kill one before tattles). I got the first and one used a stopwatch on Gombella and right after, another magikoopa made the only tattle I got invisible wasting more turns. They also kept healing themselves that was so annoying.

I just enjoy how this game is probably the closest to IRL you'll get. Like seriously, there's a lot of stuff in the texts that is only there to be funny in IRL context. The RDM mails are the best examples. There was one when it said that Zess T called Toadsworth by an awkward and cute name. After, it said that they were following very closely all the possibilities it would implies which suggest that Toadsworth is in love. All in rich and correct grammar like news on TV. That is just too hilarious and it's like playing Earthbound which makes me wonder, does IS took inspiration from Mother? It might be the new mother now that I think about it.

And the grammar on Don Pianta is just too much. I think it's really clear what it reference IRL, but imagine the first time you see this, mind blown. You could expect anything after PM64, but not this. I wonder if one Mario game can get even further than this. It's so silly that you don't forget such humor. I could understand that on Earthbounf because it was another series, but texts here blew my mind.

The Luigi story...I made a joke once, why they don't make a Paper Luigi game with that story last year? I mean c'mon, that would just be the funniest thing ever. Not only the music makes them better, but the names are so silly. The kingdom is waffles, the princess is eclair, a continent is named pudding (this one though) and it goes on and on. I don't know who got those ideas, but I want to remind that it's literally just texts. To have that much quality in texts means it has to be worked a lot.

Speaking of texts, Gombella may be enough for a complete novel. I'm serious she takes the majority of the biggest text file which is global.txt and almost every map has a segment at the end called "msg_kuri_map" which is every Gombella texts on that said map. This means every talkable NPC, almost every locations and of course, that includes the texts she has in cutscene which is probably the most because some texts are set by the partner you have, but some aren't included because it's assumed you don't have him. Gombella, you get her VERY early in the game so she has the most texts out of all 8. Like, she's basically the character that has BY FAR most of texts. If you try to have bobbery text on ch2, you will get a "No messages [English]." which is the error messages for no text available.

I wonder how much time they had to use to think of those texts, it's crazy.

In the end with the Rawk Hawk fight and the overall ch, I want him playable even more. I hope it was truly teasing...

Now, on to ch4. Unfortunately, that's the kind of ch that it less enjoyable the more time you do it. Only the first time is really good with backtracking, but the second time is more annoyance. Tough, you get to hear Earthbound music :) (the Doopliss encounter theme is basically almost the same as the Porky encounter theme in Earthbound).

Can't wait to read Gombella text!

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Now, as I said in the Social thread earlier, I have been playing Thousand Year Door recently, and It's got me thinking about this: What Assist trophies could come out of Paper Mario? After a few minutes of brainstorming, the assist trophies of the Koopa Bros, Shadow Sirens, Rawk Hawk, Jr Troopa, Count Bleck, O'Chunks, and Grodus came to mind. Not sure all of those will be assist trophies, but if at least one of those assist trophies happens, it would be pretty cool.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Now, as I said in the Social thread earlier, I have been playing Thousand Year Door recently, and It's got me thinking about this: What Assist trophies could come out of Paper Mario? After a few minutes of brainstorming, the assist trophies of the Koopa Bros, Shadow Sirens, Rawk Hawk, Jr Troopa, Count Bleck, O'Chunks, and Grodus came to mind. Not sure all of those will be assist trophies, but if at least one of those assist trophies happens, it would be pretty cool.
maybe Doopliss, but I first want to see if some would be used as stage hazards.

Also, you could put specific Paper Mario enemies as assist too. There's a lot of material to work with assist honestly. I mean it can be as crazy as Hooktail or Rawk Hawk, but something small like a spiny works too.

Top Bottom