• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

third party controllers

Cotter2589

Smash Rookie
I switched over from original controllers to third party ones about a year ago and the control stick actually moves faster than normal controllers. If I race the hands on the character select screen, the third party moves about 1.5X faster.

My friend doesn't think this provides any actual advantage during a match but I think it allows me to cut faster like on taunt cancels, dash dancing, and dash slides.

Has anyone tested this kind of thing or is it just a more responsive joystick? (Much less durable, I've gone through about 6 controllers when the stick snaps off)

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
im opeing u made an accident when you posted this twice.
Yes.

umm dude i think this thread is a failure
No.

The only third party controller I have, has broken R, L and Z buttons I think. All the trigger buttons just died. Nothing beats my originals at the moment. Besides, wouldn't 1.5x faster make the playing very different? I feel like I might mess things up more often, in SSB at least, maybe not other N64 games (as if my N64 ever has any other game loaded up anyway haha...)

In some games, though, that controller would give you an unfair advantage. Like racing the hands on char select, some aspects of some games rely on the speed of the joystick, rather than attenuating a certain speed in-game to that of a certain direction the joystick is pushed in. Try playing BattleTanx 2: Global Assualt for example, with a "faster" 3rd party joystick. If I remember correctly, your tanks will actually go faster than your opponent with a real Nintendo controller. Not too fair! :laugh:

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Well simply having the hands move faster doesnt really do anything but, if the contoller is more responsive (which ive never seen in a third party contoller) then you might have an advantage

NixxxoN

Smash Master
I tried one of them. It was not really an advantage. All that counts is the joystick state, its precision, and by default it used to be not so good unless its completely new.

Cotter2589

Smash Rookie
If I remember correctly, your tanks will actually go faster than your opponent with a real Nintendo controller. Not too fair! :laugh:

Interesting that it can alter gameplay so the joystick must be faster. Doesn't seem to have the dramatic affect of that tank game but I still think it helps a tad in ssb.

The controllers I get are made by playtech and I've had several sticks snap off but for cheap, effective controllers they aren't bad. Like $11-12. I order them from www.nintendorepairshop.com They also have refurbished originals and replacement joysticks if you'd prefer to do it yourself. My friend and I tried to put the playtech joystick into a regular shell but they weren't compatible.

killa k

Smash Ace
my 3rd party controllers stick is weird. it makes me jump or do u tilts n stuff randomly but yea the stick does indeed move faster than the original 64s stick.

Cotter2589

Smash Rookie
If there are ANY good 3rd party controllers please speak up

The one mentioned above looks nice, but it doesn't last long >_<
It is a very good third party controller, they just don't last me long cause I really mash the control stick hard so they snap after several months of very frequent use. I'd say it's worth a try but up to you.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
It is a very good third party controller, they just don't last me long cause I really mash the control stick hard so they snap after several months of very frequent use. I'd say it's worth a try but up to you.
All n64 contollers have ****ty Sticks that snap after a few months...what im tryign to find is a stick that doesnt lose its reponsivness after 1 month...havnt found one yet any ideas?

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
All n64 contollers have ****ty Sticks that snap after a few months...what im tryign to find is a stick that doesnt lose its reponsivness after 1 month...havnt found one yet any ideas?
Replacement joysticks and DIY. Wherever you get those, I don't know yet.

(BTW if you're ever in Toronto for some reason - it's smash time. We'll host a tourney haha.)

How often do you play smash a month, in terms of hours? I'm wondering how much playtime the joystick can really handle. Because losing responsiveness in a month sounds extreme... sure they get looser and lose that perfect elasticity of a new joystick, but are still playable for a good while. It's unfortunate the joysticks are so much like rubber bands. Tight at first, stretch them over time and they just stay loose. I have access to 4 N64 controllers at the moment:

1.) - Third party, broken trigger buttons, useless
2.) - Black nintendo, joystick looser than... well, really **** loose :laugh: and unplayable for real smash matches, but I can still beat all my friends with it
3.) - Grey nintendo, joystick a bit loose, but still playable enough for good smash
4.) - Red nintendo, joystick almost like new, loosening up a bit since i bought it a month or two ago

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Replacement joysticks and DIY. Wherever you get those, I don't know yet.

(BTW if you're ever in Toronto for some reason - it's smash time. We'll host a tourney haha.)

How often do you play smash a month, in terms of hours? I'm wondering how much playtime the joystick can really handle. Because losing responsiveness in a month sounds extreme... sure they get looser and lose that perfect elasticity of a new joystick, but are still playable for a good while. It's unfortunate the joysticks are so much like rubber bands. Tight at first, stretch them over time and they just stay loose. I have access to 4 N64 controllers at the moment:

1.) - Third party, broken trigger buttons, useless
2.) - Black nintendo, joystick looser than... well, really **** loose :laugh: and unplayable for real smash matches, but I can still beat all my friends with it
3.) - Grey nintendo, joystick a bit loose, but still playable enough for good smash
4.) - Red nintendo, joystick almost like new, loosening up a bit since i bought it a month or two ago
hah Newfoundland is quiet a ways from Toronto but sure xD

as for time...it really depends. say 2-5 hours every second day i suppose...give or take an hour and or a day

Skrlx

Smash Champion
surri doesnt enjoy my hax controller... lol

well OP the only advantage you have over n64 is the layout of the controller. for example with my controllers layout short hopping became second nature to me. while on n64 i would struggle tapping the c buttons D:

though the wire on the top of the controller started to split so i put some tape. and the surprisingly enough the joystick is starting to wear out =/

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I use a 3rd party controller. Looks like a ps2 shell, but it uh... doesnt tilt. at -all- so I can only walk at a set pace if i hold forwards DURING an attack to ''buffer'' the movement so I dont run. Same goes for shuairs, I have to be holding up in the middle of another attack before going for a shuair because if not even if I tilt my stick ill end up double jumping. Not good.

but ive worked my way around it, I just cant do everything I could do on n64 and thus im switching over to n64 usb adaptor when I get some extra money to order one.

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
but ive worked my way around it, I just cant do everything I could do on n64 and thus im switching over to n64 usb adaptor when I get some extra money to order one.
I hate to tell you but you may not fix your problem that way either.
I bought an N64 adapter and when I hold the joystick up or down, rather than holding that input, it acts as if repeated inputs are being sent in that direction.

What this looks like:
Holding up = double jumping instantly, and doing so again as soon as I hit the ground
Holding down = crouching & standing up & crouching & standing up & crouching and... you get the point. This happens very quickly

Anyway all my attempts at utilts have resulted in uairs mid-battle. There seems to be the tiniest sweetspot in which I can do tilts on it, but it's hard to get it.

Superstar

Smash Champion
You tried with both NRage 1.83 and JaboDirectInput? I just use NRage for the keyboard modifier, and I got it working online.

Top Bottom