• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Third Party Discussions only

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Is there some reason people assume Snake will be cut? What reason besides subjective opinions about whether or not he "fits" in Smash seem to be the only reason people are predicting he'll be gone.
Exactly, snake usually has a double standard slammed against him compared to sonic with some people. When i think with sakurai they will both have an equal and good chance of returning. Although im hoping naked snake takes over instead of solid snake this time around, he could bring much more to the table.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Exactly, snake usually has a double standard slammed against him compared to sonic with some people. When i think with sakurai they will both have an equal and good chance of returning. Although im hoping naked snake takes over instead of solid snake this time around, he could bring much more to the table.

Er, really? The only real differences I can think of are:
1. More awkward name
2. Eats lots of animals
3. His CCQ style is him always holding a pistol and a knife (both of which are disallowed in Smash)
4. Naked Snake is less iconic to the series

Heck, it almost seems more likely that we'd get Old Snake...

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Er, really? The only real differences I can think of are:
1. More awkward name
2. Eats lots of animals
3. His CCQ style is him always holding a pistol and a knife (both of which are disallowed in Smash)
4. Naked Snake is less iconic to the series

Heck, it almost seems more likely that we'd get Old Snake...
1. He would still go by snake
2. He already had those qualities in brawl from naked snake
3. Without guns he wouldnt have to hold a knife
4. At this point id say hes up there with solid snake, hes starred in almost as many games, and hes the backbone and root of the entire series.

It wouldnt be that big of a change, but it would be a nice one to at least give him something new to work with, and he had a 3DS game last year so its not like hes unknown to nintendo fans.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
1. He would still go by snake
2. He already had those qualities in brawl from naked snake
3. Without guns he wouldnt have to hold a knife
4. At this point id say hes up there with solid snake, hes starred in almost as many games, and hes the backbone and root of the entire series.

It wouldnt be that big of a change, but it would be a nice one to at least give him something new to work with, and he had a 3DS game last year so its not like hes unknown to nintendo fans.

That's right, I'd forgotten that there were codecs with him talking about eating the beasties. I do feel like the things that make him Naked Snake instead of Solid Snake would be lost anyway, so they might as well stick with the more iconic veteran character. In the end, though, they're practically the same person so I guess it doesn't matter.

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
I rather it go like this.

Capcom - Mega Man

Sega - Sonic

Namco - Klonoa

I won't go into a 3rd party character getting a second rep because it won't happen. Dr. Robotnik would be better as a boss character and I might shock most fans but I'm against Pac-Man, Banjo-Kazooie, Rayman, Bomberman, Simon Belmont, Professor Layton and Dig Dug.

D

Deleted member

Actually, never mind.

Wonder how Old Snake's playstyle would be if he was in?

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
You know, I would REALLLY Love to see Kat, from Gravity Rush, in the next Smash Bros. After playing Gravity Rush and especially her appearance in Playstation All Stars, I would definitely support her to be in SSB4! She would be a great addition to the cast.
You might as well support Nathan Drake. :laugh:

Kat is pretty cool though, Gravity Rush is one of Sony's best new IPs in years.

HURRICANE REV

Smash Ace
You might as well support Nathan Drake. :laugh:

Kat is pretty cool though, Gravity Rush is one of Sony's best new IPs in years.
Lool nah, Kat is alot more interesting, unique and better than Nathan Drake. I'm in Love with Gravity Rush and I literally can't wait for the second game to come out.

But Nintendo's counter pick to Kat, that I would say, would be Rosalina from Mario Galaxy. I think she is a cool character and I might as well support her to be in the game.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I have Snake returning as well as Sonic. No reason to cut either, they have unique moveset and were wildly accepted by the fanbase.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Thought that just came to me:

Could the fact that SSB has competition now in "Playstation All Stars" who are heavily relying on third party characters cause Nintendo to actually be more keen on including third parties this time rather than less like most people assume?

If we didn't get Snake in Brawl then I'd bet my bottom dollar he would have showed up in PSA. Does Nintendo want to risk losing more characters to Sony and therefore allowing them a chance to build a roster that is able to compete with SSB?

This is an unlikely example but imagine if Sakurai passed up on Megaman and Playstation got their hands on him for the next Battle Royal!!
That would be a head turner for many Smash fans.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Thought that just came to me:

Could the fact that SSB has competition now in "Playstation All Stars" who are heavily relying on third party characters cause Nintendo to actually be more keen on including third parties this time rather than less like most people assume?

If we didn't get Snake in Brawl then I'd bet my bottom dollar he would have showed up in PSA. Does Nintendo want to risk losing more characters to Sony and therefore allowing them a chance to build a roster that is able to compete with SSB?

This is an unlikely example but imagine if Sakurai passed up on Megaman and Playstation got their hands on him for the next Battle Royal!!
That would be a head turner for many Smash fans.
You bring up some interesting thoughts but....

Playstation Allstars isn't exactly competition. It didn't perform very well.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I honestly don't think Nintendo should clutter up the roster too much with loads of third parties just to make sure PSAS doesn't get its grubby hands on the characters. Besides I don't think PSAS is much of a threat to smash at all anyway since I've heard the game didn't do too well. Also who says third party characters cant be in both anyway? Its not like Nintendo nor Sony owns any rights to the characters belonging to these third party companies, do they? (I would think). Unless there is some kind of contract going on....

Oh well the only third parties who would excite me are Layton and Megaman anyway. And I don't see them showing up in the PSAS series anytime soon. Especially not Layton in particularly.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
You bring up some interesting thoughts but....

Playstation Allstars isn't exactly competition. It didn't perform very well.
Exactly.
But with a more appealing roster and some gameplay improvements it could be.

I honestly don't think Nintendo should clutter up the roster too much with loads of third parties just to make sure PSAS doesn't get its grubby hands on the characters. Besides I don't think PSAS is much of a threat to smash at all anyway since I've heard the game didn't do too well. Also who says third party characters cant be in both anyway? Its not like Nintendo nor Sony owns any rights to the characters belonging to these third party companies, do they? (I would think). Unless there is some kind of contract going on....
Answered your own question. The contracts would certainly prevent them from appearing in a competing franchise.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Answered your own question. The contracts would certainly prevent them from appearing in a competing franchise.
Yeah I had a feeling there was probably something to do with contracts of why some people are worried about this. I guess that was a silly question then. My bad. ^^;

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm not sure about there even being another Battle Royale.

For one thing, unlike Smash, its sales were not that great.
For another, the developers and Sony had a falling out. That doesn't mean Sony can't or won't try again, but it makes the odds grim.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

For another, the developers and Sony had a falling out. That doesn't mean Sony can't or won't try again, but it makes the odds grim.
That's a shame.
A bit of healthy competition would be a good thing.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion

they didnt really have a falling out. Sony's contract with Superbot expired and Sony didnt wanna renew it. in a few interviews Superbot employees state that the break was mutual, and that this break would mean they can focus on their next project. from what we know the working relationship between the 2 was fine with the president of Superbot saying they had a great working relationship with them. but yeah i wouldnt say another Playstation All-stars is impossible, in fact i think its fairly likely, but we wont see it for a few years down the road and really i dont see Battle Royale as much competition to Smash to begin with.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Why do people who don't know a thing about the game keep assuming they understand what happened?

It's really starting to annoy me. At least ask me about how things went. I can give you the actual facts of how the development of All-Stars went. Omar and the rest of Superbot were very, and i mean VERY, open about how things were going.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
If I had to pick four third-parties, I'd go with Travis Touchdown (Or Layton), Black Mage, Mega-Man, and a Tales Of character.

Also when it comes to Tales Of being a recurring character, it doesn't really matter as well considering most of the series doesn't really have it recurring. Yuri, Luke, or Lloyd are probably the best choices.

Why do people who don't know a thing about the game keep assuming they understand what happened?

It's really starting to annoy me. At least ask me about how things went. I can give you the actual facts of how the development of All-Stars went. Omar and the rest of Superbot were very, and i mean VERY, open about how things were going.
Tell us everything go. I'd love to hear more at least over a PM, really, as much as you can tell me. I'm very curious.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Well I do like that PSASBR did stick to having the characters under the designs from the games they come. Of course this was taken from the Smash series, but it is what made this kind of games special now that in SSB4 have characters designs similar and specific to fit the game. A problem I see with PSASBR was that Sony didn't want to go for a Japanese team, and hence it failed big time over there. Hope they go for a Japanese team if they make a sequel, but the problem would now be how would they handle western characters which are plenty?

Seeing the direction the game is going, I doubt Snake will return. While he opened the door to third parties, he did too on characters with "serious" designs; which my guess that door is now closed, again from the direction the game is taking.

Stonaman

Smash Rookie
The general consensus is that Sonic will return. I don't think anyone would dispute that. If they were to add another from the Sonic IP, I think Knuckles would be the most logical. He'd be able to have a different moveset from Sonic, while still having a glide ability that would be more accurate to the character without breaking something like Tails and his ability to fly might do.

I don't see any reason Snake couldn't return either. While his inclusion in Brawl was quite left field, he quickly became a beloved character just because of his difference in playstyle from any of the previous characters that had been made to that point.

As for new characters, I'd like to see Lloyd and Regal from Tales of Symphonia. ToS was a great selling game on the GC, and was made by Namco as well. And as has been shown so far w/ MegaMan's moveset, they would be able to add a lot gameplay-wise based on the way they fight.

Lloyd would be the first dual-swordsman in the series. With the two-handed swords being his main mode of fighting, his B-Moves would be a variety of the artes he had in ToS. Up-B could be the Tempest attack(would go up and at an angle), B could be Demon Fang, etc. Some of the A attacks could be taken from those moves as well.

Regal, again as shown with MegaMan, would change up how he fights even more mainly because he wouldn't use his hands for fighting(as they'd be in handcuffs of course). Just the sheer "Whoa that's awesome!"ness of his fighting style would make him a fun inclusion. I choose the two of them because they'd both be melee-oriented characters with visuals that would be different from the standard array, and their abilities would be easier to transcribe into the game than say Sheena or Collette would.

I'm sure there are a million reasons these ideas could be ripped apart, but its what I'd like to see.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Well everyone is up in the air for third party but once again I am still going to stick with my four: Megaman, Pac-Man, Sonic, and Snake. Not feeling confortable about Snake now.

the smash nerd

Smash Ace
NNID
Nick.s3dsWiFi2
3DS FC
0344-9996-3724
I rather it go like this.

Capcom - Mega Man

Sega - Sonic

Namco - Klonoa

I won't go into a 3rd party character getting a second rep because it won't happen. Dr. Robotnik would be better as a boss character and I might shock most fans but I'm against Pac-Man, Banjo-Kazooie, Rayman, Bomberman, Simon Belmont, Professor Layton and Dig Dug.
for me are
Capcom - Mega Man

Sega - Sonic

Ubisoft - Travis Touchdown

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Anyone who talks about No More Heroes should know that it's owned by a company called Grasshopper Manufacture.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
If Ubisoft got a rep it would be Rayman anyway. That's pretty much the way it goes. Every third party company will want to include their mascot. These are the only 3rd parties I can see making it in:

In:
Capcom - Mega Man

Likely:
Sega - Sonic
Konami - Snake
Namco - Pac-Man

Unlikely:
Ubisoft - Rayman
Square-Enix - Black or White Mage (Both appeared in Mario Sports mix)
Level 5 - Professor Layton
Activision - Crash Bandicoot (lol Yeah right, Sony couldn't even get him for their Smash game)

TheCreator

Smash Lord
To be honest, I would only want third parties that are the complete mascot of their company, and their company is big and nice with Nintendo anyways. That said, at first I didn't like Solid Snake being in Brawl. I got over it though.
That said, I would WANT:
Capcom - Megaman
Namco - Pacman
Sega - Sonic
And past that, no other third parties deserve to be in smash. That said, These are the most likely third party characters, along with Snake.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Third parties i want. (Again because i know i already posted my list here)

Confirmed:
Capcom: Mega Man

Likely:
SEGA: Sonic
Konami: Snake
Namco: Pac-Man

Unlikely/Not Happening:
ATLUS: Jack Frost
Ubisoft: Rayman
Grasshopper Manufacture: Travis Touchdown
Konami: Bomberman
Capcom: Bass
Square Enix: Slime and Black Mage
Namco: Heihachi or Alisa Bosconovitch

Literally not happening ever:
Sony: Kat and Toro Inoue
Microsoft: Fulgore and Banjo

SonicMario

Smash Master
Sonic's again the most likely 3rd Party, they're even bigger then it was for Sonic's chances Pre-Brawl simply because Sonic now counts as a Veteran AND the way he got in (Massive popularity/requests).

Every other one is kinda iffy except MAYBE Pac-Man simply because Namco's making the game but it's still a wait and see kind of thing.

And while personally I'd like Snake to return I have come to see there's a legit chance we may not see him next game. I'll be happy if he comes back, but if he's not and Sonic is in it will be a little bittersweet for me. Since it's thanks to Snake being in Brawl in the first place that both Sonic (in Brawl) and Megaman (In SSB4) got in (And the reason this thread isn't just replied with "Not going to happen" posts). Snake put a hole in the "Only Nintendo characters" barrier enough for him, Sonic, and now Megaman to squeeze through. I'm crossing my fingers that Sakurai thinks of Snake and Sonic as more then just guest characters exclusive to one game. They're unique Smash characters through and through, and if/when one or both of them return I really think it will mean they have the proper veteran treatment they deserve just like most characters that were in Brawl.

Top Bottom