• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thirty Days of Life - Competitive Discussion Thread

Jane

Smash Hero
I think lylat might be a better olimar stage than YI or CS though
in my humble opinion: hell no. lylat's tilty-ness can really **** with oli's ability to fsmash and pikmin toss. if hes ever on the lower end of the stage it automatically cripples him, where as many other characters don't get crippled as much as he does if they were in the same position.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I freaking love Lylat.
The slants really help his pikmin toss (unless it's a yellow and a really steep slope or something). ^^;
They don't really seem to cripple him if you're aware of them. Upward slopes generally make his grab better.

Just my opinion, though.

Dnyce

Smash Master
in my humble opinion: hell no. lylat's tilty-ness can really **** with oli's ability to fsmash and pikmin toss.
Every good player in my area bans lylat against me (the second time we play :awesome: )

if hes ever on the lower end of the stage it automatically cripples him, where as many other characters don't get crippled as much as he does if they were in the same position.
We beat metaknight in every possible way in this situation... and that n**** is banned. Why is this bad for olimar?

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
[collapse=super secret olimar techniques][collapse=you might even beat razer with these][collapse=but if you're not careful, they may kill you][collapse=still wanna see?][collapse=okay, but don't say I didn't warn you]

[/collapse][/collapse][/collapse][/collapse][/collapse]

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Up until yesterday, I had no idea that Fair/Bair could trade with Falco's Phantasm. ^^;

I have a problem with staying grounded and rolling predictably, but it feels incredibly difficult to focus on getting rid of the habits while still not playing like a toddler.
How do you guys train that sort of thing?

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
I feel like I got alot better, but I'm stillconfused about a few mu's as in how I should approach them.

- Fox
- Wario
- Peach
- Pit

I don't play these guys so I don't wanna lose to a random one, any general things about the mu's would be fine. :)

:phone:

Dnyce

Smash Master
I feel like I got alot better, but I'm stillconfused about a few mu's as in how I should approach them.

- Fox
- Wario
- Peach
- Pit

I don't play these guys so I don't wanna lose to a random one, any general things about the mu's would be fine. :)

The main problem you might be having is that you're not supposed to approach in any of those match-ups - might help you considerably. :shyguy:

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
F smashing phantism is probably the easiest.

To quote larry " side b is good against olimar if he can't F smash it/space it so you don't get Fsmashed" additional because falco proably held side ways he will most likely have bad DI on the F smash.

I'm not really a olimar main MGW ( I've ended up just practicing with him and playing vs olimar a lot recently (sup asa) but....

Rich said something about how he realized "foxs lasers don't really do anything" and he timed out TKD I believe by exessively camping him. While its probably fair to say he did more than spam side b he made it sound like you need to play like a ****** in that match up, Although they're may be other opinions on this board about how to **** fox.

Iirc olimars has a CG on fox? I'm not sure but in my small experience as fox in this match up I remember taking like 40 damage from a grab at low percents (but its possible I didn't di or w.e correctly)
If someone else has a different opinion though you should probably listen to them.

Dabuz has recent videos vs allys wario and Vinnies peach in those mu's 1 being from concentrate 1 the other from concentrate 2 those may be good places to start.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
DR3W and i randomly tried it in a doubles tourney a few weeks ago. Didn't work out too well lol. But also we had no previous practice with each other before the tourney and idt he plays much doubles
Our character combination, my lack of real doubles experience, and our lack of prior teaming were the reasons we lost.

<3 NS

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW

To quote larry " side b is good against olimar if he can't F smash it/space it so you don't get Fsmashed" additional because falco proably held side ways he will most likely have bad DI on the F smash.

I'm not really a olimar main MGW ( I've ended up just practicing with him and playing vs olimar a lot recently (sup asa) but....

Rich said something about how he realized "foxs lasers don't really do anything" and he timed out TKD I believe by exessively camping him. While its probably fair to say he did more than spam side b he made it sound like you need to play like a ****** in that match up, Although they're may be other opinions on this board about how to **** fox.

Iirc olimars has a CG on fox? I'm not sure but in my small experience as fox in this match up I remember taking like 40 damage from a grab at low percents (but its possible I didn't di or w.e correctly)
If someone else has a different opinion though you should probably listen to them.

Dabuz has recent videos vs allys wario and Vinnies peach in those mu's 1 being from concentrate 1 the other from concentrate 2 those may be good places to start.
Knew about the CG & falco stuff. Didn't know dabuz played vinnies peach though :0 must find vid. Thanks :)

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
The only time I can get Fsmash to hit through phantasm is when I'm using a yellow. Is there a specific timing for the other colors?

I always just shield it and grab him after he finishes or reset the situation if he's too far away or I didn't have time to turn around beforehand.

Dnyce

Smash Master
Rich said something about how he realized "foxs lasers don't really do anything" and he timed out TKD I believe by excessively camping him. While its probably fair to say he did more than spam side b he made it sound like you need to play like a ****** in that match up, Although they're may be other opinions on this board about how to **** fox.
I taught Rich that.

And of course he did more than spam side B, you have to fsmash and pivot grab too!!!
3-4 dthrows is guaranteed.

2 dthrows (3 if one was white) to dair to usmash isn't necessarily guaranteed, but it works more than it should.

EDIT: you can't DI moves unless you get sent into tumble.

Asa

Smash Hero

soren???? <333333333

and ya mgw, fair is pretty nice against peach

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
Some falcos get repetitive (SHDL over & over) in which I usually just run & PS the second lazer to close the gap between us, then follow up with a f-smash/grab if I'm close enough. But usually falco's phantasm when you get to close so I just mix it up, sometimes I'll just run up to him then run back; ps the phantasm then grab.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
It's called "Instant return". You perform it by dropping off, quickly tethering and DIing onto the stage.

People do it different ways. I just roll the control stick in a high half circle from 1 to 9 (lower-left to upper-right) and hit B if I'm on a left ledge or roll the control stick in a high half circle from 3 to 7 (lower-right to upper-left) and hit B if I'm on a right ledge.
There are videos, but I'm on a VERY slow connection. :<

Ceph

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1805-2306-4996
first post in a long time lol

This is more of a general Q, but... I've seen many Olimars keeping only 4 pikmin out at once, rarely 6 pikmin. I'm wondering if there's a strategic reason for this or if it's just a coincidence.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Well...

HAVING 4 PIKMIN COMPARED TO 6

Pros:
  • You can pluck cancel
  • Easier to keep track of your line
Cons:
  • Your UpB is shorter, so your recovery is a little crappier and your UpB attack has less range
  • You're closer to 0 pikmin, which means that there's a higher risk you'll be stuck with 0 at some point.

It's probably just Olimars being lazy, but does anyone else have thoughts on this?

Jane

Smash Hero
yesterday i was playing with just two purples. i'd toss one and the immediately whistle (cuz those little *******s think they can catch a breather on the ground for a while... uh-uh girl). i felt like i was holding a sawed off shotty :awesome:

Ceph

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1805-2306-4996
Well...

HAVING 4 PIKMIN COMPARED TO 6

Pros:
  • You can pluck cancel
  • Easier to keep track of your line
Cons:
  • Your UpB is shorter, so your recovery is a little crappier and your UpB attack has less range
  • You're closer to 0 pikmin, which means that there's a higher risk you'll be stuck with 0 at some point.

It's probably just Olimars being lazy, but does anyone else have thoughts on this?
Pluck canceling is flashy, I like to do it every once in a while :bee: Having 4 pikmin out does make it easier to see which ones I have and which one's next in line, that's a good point.

yesterday i was playing with just two purples. i'd toss one and the immediately whistle (cuz those little *******s think they can catch a breather on the ground for a while... uh-uh girl). i felt like i was holding a sawed off shotty :awesome:
lol The purples are fun to torment players off-stage :chuckle: tho I lose more purples that way...

Dnyce

Smash Master
clover, get on aim / message me when you can.

want to clarify some numbers for hitlag... etc

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
All right. Probably can't tonight because I'm at a fest and haven't slept since sometime yesterday.

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
I feel so embarassed to say this but... I have trouble stopping at exactly 6 Pikmin when I pluck. I either overpluck or underpluck :p If I underpluck, it feels like I have exactly 6, but it ends up being 5 Pikmin that I have... and it's like if I press the button 1 more time, I'll overpluck :p

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
It's not necessarily bad to pluck to 5 pikmin. You can just pluck cancel the last one.
You'll learn to listen for the plucks and the timing of the presses with time. Don't worry.

Also, one thing you can do if you have five pikmin and want to check if you have one off the top of the screen (like if it was blasted up by a move) while on the run or if you aren't certain if you plucked to five or six after respawning is you can try to ledge pluck the last one. There's no lag for a whiffed animation when you do so and it's a nice, quick check. Very niche use, but still useful.
For example: You respawn on BF, accidentally pluck two instead of three, and ledge pluck the last one while testing as you get down from the top platform.

On another note, it kind of feels like I'm atrophying as a player. Can't go to tournaments until January or February, Austin's best player doesn't go to fests (and when he does, he doesn't use Yoshi), and most of the other players don't pose much of an actual challenge. It's so frustrating. :<

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
I have a question. You know how the Pikmin have Leaves, Buds and Flowers on their heads? Well if they're leafed, budded or flowered, does it affect the Pikmin in anyway? (like do they do more damage if they're flowered, etc.)

Sync.

Smash Champion
Speaking of that Sky Pirate, you guys should do something to expand your scene. I'm still working on Houston and I'm slowly getting more people ^_^

Dnyce

Smash Master
I have a question. You know how the Pikmin have Leaves, Buds and Flowers on their heads? Well if they're leafed, budded or flowered, does it affect the Pikmin in anyway? (like do they do more damage if they're flowered, etc.)
Yeah:
increased damage
increased knockback
increased latch number
increased durability
additional 'armor'
heal through phases (bud/flower resets their HP)
increased range
increased return/moving/flying speed
decreased attack lag
increased whistle range

it's all in the olimar guide I wrote, could've checked there first imo

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
it's all in the olimar guide I wrote, could've checked there first imo
Really? O___O I couldn't find a thread by you lol. Unless I'm blind/overlooked it, which seems more likely lol. But I don't get increased whistle range; don't the pikmin come back when you whistle, regardless where Olimar/the pikmin are? O___O

Top Bottom