• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

This game is pissing off my friend.

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
Alright, so my friend plays Toon Link, and today, I decided to go Jigglypuff. After awhile, he challenged me to a full off-stage battle. Normally, being the aerial master Jigglypuff, I did well. This pissed him off a lot, with him calling me cheap. So, instead, I changed to Toon Link, my friend's main and the character that I never play. We did some off-stage battles, and it was fun for awhile... until I started using the Meteor Spike and edge hogging. Then, he got REALLY pissed off, told me off for stealing his move (he thought that he invented the Meteor Smash,) and also yelled at me for edge hogging his Toon Link's recovery. After he really started getting mad, I decided that I'd just stop Meteor Smashing and edge hogging (by now, our game was also on the ground.) He thought that I felt bad for him for this. Now, he pretty much despises me. So sad. =(

icewolf2249

Smash Cadet
Because he's a whiny guy. I don't mean that offensively, some people just complain when they can't get gratification. Basically, your friend's just upset that you did better than him. When you held back, it made him feel worse because it only strengthened the fact that he couldn't beat you. I'm sure he'll get over it. If he doesn't, then he's not a very good friend. A video game is too petty to end a friendship over.

AmigoOne

Smash Journeyman
Why do so many people on this board have such ****ty friends? Or IS a ****ty friend?

Seriously.

" I pwn my friends, but they don't like me for pwning them so I am going to the internetz to find insults to throw at them."

Crystallion

Smash Ace
Why is he your friend in the first place? I wouldn't play anyone like him, seriously. And I agree with all the others too.

crazy olimar

Smash Rookie
heh your thread made me chuckle a little its like you know
who my brother is because every time i play ANY game (i can beat him at every game BTW)
he gets really mad starts shouting and hits me with my controller lol
he even went as far as to make a hole in the wall by kicking it over Mortal kombat, gave me a bloody nose over halo, and a wiimote to my head on brawl, but i kicked his *** every time he started with his angerness and hes older than me. he gets mad at every little thing i do lol

how old is your friend tell him to grow up
its just a game or you can push his buttons like a poster above said hehe
jk
thats why i dont like to play videogames with my brother
if the guy is still your friend then just dont play video games with him
or play team games
gd luck with your friend

Organous

Smash Apprentice
Unlike many other people here, I'm going to provide some actually constructive advice because I'm cool like that. I have to admit that I've suffered from this as well, because I do have a tendency to be a bad sport. It makes me feel even worse because my roommate is a great sport, graciously losing consistently to me in most everything. One day, he just started reaming me with Wolf in an items match (I'm better than him without them, he's far better than me with them). I turned off the game when he grabbed the hammer, which I've always had trouble getting through, and he refused to finish me off with it.
There are a few things required to help with this. First, of course, he does have to be mature enough to know he's the one with a problem, not you. If that's established, he should need some time to cool down, and then when it's convenient for both of you, you should help your friend by training him on that particular situation until he can reliably defend himself. I had the exact same situation with Budokai 3 because my friend couldn't get the hang of the defensive teleport. I decided to stop playing against each other and just train him. It took a few hours to get all the different aspects for it down, but it paid off in the end. Now he's just as good as I am in the game and I've got a competitive rival to work against.
In the end, it all comes down to training. If you really like playing with a friend, but he's just not good enough, invest some time specifically to make him better, not yourself. Once he gets better, you're going to have a better challenge and that'll help you improve, too.

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
Unlike many other people here, I'm going to provide some actually constructive advice because I'm cool like that. I have to admit that I've suffered from this as well, because I do have a tendency to be a bad sport. It makes me feel even worse because my roommate is a great sport, graciously losing consistently to me in most everything. One day, he just started reaming me with Wolf in an items match (I'm better than him without them, he's far better than me with them). I turned off the game when he grabbed the hammer, which I've always had trouble getting through, and he refused to finish me off with it.
There are a few things required to help with this. First, of course, he does have to be mature enough to know he's the one with a problem, not you. If that's established, he should need some time to cool down, and then when it's convenient for both of you, you should help your friend by training him on that particular situation until he can reliably defend himself. I had the exact same situation with Budokai 3 because my friend couldn't get the hang of the defensive teleport. I decided to stop playing against each other and just train him. It took a few hours to get all the different aspects for it down, but it paid off in the end. Now he's just as good as I am in the game and I've got a competitive rival to work against.
In the end, it all comes down to training. If you really like playing with a friend, but he's just not good enough, invest some time specifically to make him better, not yourself. Once he gets better, you're going to have a better challenge and that'll help you improve, too.
Thanks for your advice. You've been the most helpful person here. =)

Anyway, I DO train him; any time I do, though, he just goofs off and doesn't care. Also, he's WAY too stubborn to admit that he's wrong. We have multiple debates about things, and if I don't agree with his point of view, he calls ME stubborn. Simply for not agreeing with his point of view.

Also, I forgot to leave out an important bit of information which I'll edit in to the first post: I NEVER play as Toon Link, and Toon Link is his main.

Thank you!

phantomphungus

Smash Journeyman
he's WAY too stubborn to admit that he's wrong. We have multiple debates about things, and if I don't agree with his point of view, he calls ME stubborn. Simply for not agreeing with his point of view.
He's very arrogant and stubborn, but he's an overall decent person.
Sounds alot like one of my friends. Seriously.
Does this friend happen to go by the first name of Jack?

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
Sounds alot like one of my friends. Seriously.
Does this friend happen to go by the first name of Jack?
Mike, but I guess you're kind of close. They're both four letters, and I'm guessing that they're both arrogant?

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Anyone who plays Toon Link has no right to call ANYONE cheap. Especially Jigglypuff!

Samuelson

Smash Lord
next time you play you should put honey all over his controller, that is a guranteed way to make him happy, thats what i did to my brother when he got pissed off at me for kicking his a$$

you should of seen the exitement on his face when he picked up that controller

phantomphungus

Smash Journeyman
WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT THERE'S A HUGE EDIT BUTTON RIGHT THERE

as for the quotes just press quote on who you want to quote then copy&paste into your edit
I know how to edit, I just didn't know how to put in quotes. Also, I'm using my wii right now, so copy/pasting is out of the question for me.

Kirye

Smash Ace
Solution: Kill him. Then proceed to eat his children.

Or you could just laugh at him everytime he loses. Not just any laugh though, it has to be a maniacal menacing laugh. One that would scar his very existance.

RoyalRook

Smash Journeyman
Nail his nose to one of your feet, and give him a chainsaw; so in the end, he could cut one of your feet off and play with your blood. If you survived that ordeal, you can shove your footless leg up his behind and kick some basketball with his head. For nothing else, the experience is totally worth all that energy.
Umm Rampage? Not everybody use their brain, so yea, some people are just pathetically stupid. It's pathetupic.

MagiMaster

Smash Apprentice
Is he your friend, or are you his friend or both? Seriously, it sounds as if you were trying to keep him as your friend by purposely losing or not playing at your best. Your better than him. If he can't accept that, it's his problem.

If he gets angry for any reason, just laugh, stop the game, ask him do you really want to play? cuz it seems like your not having much fun. Let him time to realize that he's the guy that is wrong. Stop playing smash, and do something else.

Airwalkerr

Smash Journeyman
I have a friend just like that. He owns Brawl, and my Wii imploded awhile back, so if I want to play Brawl, I have to go to his house. he plays toon link and pikachu, and just spams bombs/thunder jolt things. Everytime I do anything to stop his projectiles (caping them, grabbing the bombs, whatever) he gets real mad and tries to kick me out of house. So I have to lose like 2 matches to make him feel better, before I can win again. And the worst thing is, he's 17... Can't wait for my new wii, so I don't have to play with him all the time....

toktomo

Smash Cadet
+__+

>__>

Tell your friend to train better and suck it up! Lol.

brawlmaniac

Smash Lord
Not that surprising to see another thread like this. It seems that a lot of people have friends that hate to lose. If I were you, I would just not play that game with him anymore unless he suggested it. You should try to teach him stuff like edge guarding too.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
your friend simply does not like to lose and whines when he gets beaten, to fix this, just tell him to practice more until he gets better at it or... just not play anymore because he sucks at it so you won't feel pity for him which btw I do

Zeldar2992

Smash Rookie
Don't play with him if he's sore loser. Tell him it's no fun to fight against a sore loser. If he knows you don't like sore losers (or winners for that matter, cause those people are freaking annoying too) maybe he'll change. I know, I used to have this problem. I would play smash bros (good ol' orginal version) by myself. I 'd never let anyone play with me cause I was so afraid of losing. It also happened in other games too. Finally, I got over it one day, and now I don't care if i'm in fourth place on wifi. Tell him you just want to play for fun, and it really doesn't matter if you win or lose, it's how you play the game. ^_^

Doyoudigworms

Smash Cadet
Nobody hates loosing, I assume a lot of us play a ton, or at least enough to post our experiences. I must say I've seen friends throw controllers, punch things, and complain till they are blue in the face(myself included) but every friday night we all do it over agian, cause it's bloody SSBB, and if it wasn't this game it would be another. I'm just glad it's this one.

PKJesse

Smash Cadet
Tell him you fight for your friends!

Hahaha.

Give yourself a handicap and make him feel better.

Top Bottom