• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

This guy is going to be a nightmare for heavy hitters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dropkick JD

Unexpected Smash God
First of, this isn't a "HE'S OP" "WHAT TIER" thread. It's more so an obvious thing when watching that video.

I'm a Bowser main. I plan to keep it that way. Granted, I don't know how Bowser is going to play out in this game. Maybe, it won't be such a bad match up for Bowser. But damn, any hard hitting but slow characters are going to be in a nightmare with this guy.

The only thing Little Mac seems to have not going for him is his poor aerial and his recovery. The poor recovery is a blessing, but this whole time when I'm watching those combos, I keep thinking back to Melee and Brawl Bowser where he would just have the hardest time hitting even someone like Falco.

Holy. Hell. And he even has some strong armor on some of his attacks. Granted, it's not like I'm actually limited here. I'm still hoping Shiek comes back, so I have another fast character for these type of match ups. Guy looks crazy though.

Wonder what the solution for heavy hitter characters will be against Mac. Any ideas?

Dairz

Smash Ace
Uh, I don't know. King Dedede's side special might be useful, and so might Bowser's fire breath.

ATM, it seems the only way to counter Little Mac is with ariels, high knockback attacks, and the "wait and punish" tactic. But two of those are hard for heavy hitters...

Dropkick JD

Unexpected Smash God
Uh, I don't know. King Dedede's side special might be useful, and so might Bowser's fire breath.

ATM, it seems the only way to counter Little Mac is with ariels, high knockback attacks, and the "wait and punish" tactic. But two of those are hard for heavy hitters...
That's what I was thinking.

Heavy hitters don't really have aerial on their side. The wait and punish isn't really for most of them either. It's going to be a tough battle.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Bowser can ledge guard. And he has his fire breath, Fly Slam grab, nice forward aerial and good forward tilt to face Little Mac head on with. The Flying Slam grab really could help Bowser punish Little Mac and advance him closer to the stage edge.

Last edited:

Dairz

Smash Ace
That's what I was thinking.

Heavy hitters don't really have aerial on their side. The wait and punish isn't really for most of them either. It's going to be a tough battle.
Thankfully, Bowser has been made a lot faster. Maybe the matchup won't be as bad as it seems? Then again, Little Mac has super armor and that will definitely be a problem for Bowser, as seen in the trailer.

I really want to try the new Bowser, I might even main him. Little Mac is going to be a pain, thats for sure.

Dropkick JD

Unexpected Smash God
Thankfully, Bowser has been made a lot faster. Maybe the matchup won't be as bad as it seems? Then again, Little Mac has super armor and that will definitely be a problem for Bowser, as seen in the trailer.

I really want to try the new Bowser, I might even main him. Little Mac is going to be a pain, thats for sure.
After I saw those new moves Bowser had, [Not even gonna lie, DAT DROPKICK THO] I was like.

Awww yeaaaah. I already main'd him in Brawl and technically in Melee. This was going to be no different.

Dairz

Smash Ace
After I saw those new moves Bowser had, [Not even gonna lie, DAT DROPKICK THO] I was like.

Awww yeaaaah. I already main'd him in Brawl and technically in Melee. This was going to be no different.
My biggest problem with Bowser in smash was how he was so beast-like, nothing at all like the Bowser from the games. I'm pretty happy they changed Bowser to be like, well, Bowser. (dat dropkick) (also dat dash kick)

As for the other big guys, Little Mac will be a nightmare for Ganondorf, probably DK, and King Dedede will have trouble too. I think Bowser has the best chances against Mac out of the big guys.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
If Bowser can just throw him far enough, he's good, as I don't think his recovery is so great. Dedede can probably chain grab him and throw him off the stage even easier.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Counter the armor with throws. Problem solved.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I think grab game's going to be your friend here.
If he has several attacks that have armor, then my instincts tell me grabbing him is what you want to do.
And considering LM appears to be a fast faller, you'll probably put some hurt on him if you manage to chaingrab him via upthrow or something.

I also think LM will be a nightmare on characters who rely on projectiles. (AKA Falco).

Dropkick JD

Unexpected Smash God
I think grab game's going to be your friend here.
If he has several attacks that have armor, then my instincts tell me grabbing him is what you want to do.
And considering LM appears to be a fast faller, you'll probably put some hurt on him if you manage to chaingrab him via upthrow or something.

I also think LM will be a nightmare on characters who rely on projectiles. (AKA Falco).
This is so true.

I was watching the video of how he was just gliding under the projectiles, and I just sat there. Like... holy ****. Are you serious? This guy didn't even care about Mario's fireballs. He just ran right under them. That's something Pikachu can't even do.

So basically, his hits are fast. His dodging seems incredible, which again. Might have to really rely on chain grabbing here. Other then that, it seems like the only possible solution.

Combos could be an issue though due to those armored attacks. I'll further this post when I get more detail about that KO Punch, because that seems like one helluva good move, and the trailer made it seem easy as hell to acquire.

AGreatProcrastinator

Smash Apprentice
Mac seems to need to get in really close due to being a relatively small rush-down character with no projectiles, so maybe some defensive keep-away tactics could be employed? I dunno, I only play Bowser for fun in Melee and Brawl, and I don't feel like we know enough about him or really the engine in general for the next game to make calls on how match ups will turn out. From the trailer I'd guess using grabs for the counter, sustained attacks (like Bowser's fire breath) to catch him when his armor runs out and down smashes to catch him when he tries to weave around you could be effective. Also keep in mind that Sakurai said that Bowser would be getting his speed buffed. Don't lose hope!

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
There's also the speed to keep in mind though. We're just going to have to play the waiting game and wait to see more from the heavy hitters, and what all Mac can do entirely.
Maybe baiting rolls (assuming they aren't buffed with a lot less ending lag) and using quick strikes will work also. But it's tough to say with only a trailer.

Dropkick JD

Unexpected Smash God
Maybe baiting rolls (assuming they aren't buffed with a lot less ending lag) and using quick strikes will work also. But it's tough to say with only a trailer.
And that's pretty much all I could go off of. Depending on how his moves work, I could almost see baiting rolls being a bad thing to use against Little Mac.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Hi, Mac, meet shield grabbing.

No, really, press L, wait for punch, press A.

It's not going to be that bad. Plus Bowser's grab range is probably ginormous as well. Mac is cool and my new main but I don't think Bowser will be free, especially with his powerful back throw and Mac's crap-tastic recovery.

The match I'm real worried about though is Mac v/s Marth. Mac loses. Hard.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
What about Mac and fox, fox might not be the most fast but he is so quick, Mac seems just as quick and more fast than fox too.
As for heavy characters he should be able to beat most, don't forget about ganondorfs down special though

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
If you plan on playing Bowser, I don't think you have to worry that much. I have a feeling he won't be the slowest character in the game.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
Mac is probably the only light character with bad recovery and no multiple jumps. it might be hard, but you will probably need only a few blows to make things happen.

I think there is a chance Mac's aerials will be worse that the heavies.

Master_Morrison

Smash Cadet
Well depending on how bad olimar gets nerfed in this game
He might do really good against little Mac since he grabs for days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom