• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(This is NEO) I'm going to be playing Ike competitively...

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
Since I've started to play Brawl I've only used characters I like just like I did in Melee. Although many of the other local players have tried to discourage me from using Marth just because of his learning curve by comparison to Metaknight, Snake, etc. I've stuck to my guns and was able to take 4th at Critical Hit 3 with enough hard work.

Ike however, has a much larger learning curve and isn't statistically as good as Marth. None of this matters though because I have a lot of fun with him.

The main point of this post is to get my AIM out there incase any Ike players find any useful tricks or techs I could use and let me know about them. Or any useful character specific strategies and such, I'd like to know everything. Eventually, I'll be repping Ike for all of you guys that can't make it to tournaments and such.

AIM: mcabreact

hit me up fellas!

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
As in the NEO that was considered the best Roy?

If so cool, you were very good, it was nice to have a good Roy out there when I mained Roy. Hope you do good with Ike. Can't wait to see some matches.

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
Yeah I'm that NEO, good stuff maining roy.

I hope to do well with Ike

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
kool unfortunately there aren't really any character specific At's for Ike unless you count that counter draw thing but even if you do it's not all that great. we are discussing AT's available to all characters right now in the general Q&A if you want to look into that.

glad to have a new good Ike we usually just get F. smash spammers.

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
It doesn't have to be AT's, it can be stage counter picks, "tricks" to do against tendencies opponents have etc.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I've seen your videos on Roy back in Melee days. Well played though people didn't like as much as Marth.
Ike will definitly be a different playing style compared to Roy. Go kick some *** and make Ike look top tier

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Glad to see you still around NEO. I can't wait to see what you will be able to accomplish in Brawl. Good luck with Ike, I'd like to see what kind of potential you can pull out of him.

metroid1117

Smash Master
It's going to be great, having an established Melee veteran like you using Ike. I'll root for you if I see any matches with you in them.

Anyways (just because you asked, you're good enough to figure these out yourself eventually), you might want to mess with F/BThrow -> Dash Attack near the edge (it won me a match at a tourney); if you do Dash Attack with forward + C-stick down right after the throw, you can catch people with Dash Attack if they were DI'ing away or trying to get onto the edge. Learning how to run off the stage with an aerial and then jumping and up+B'ing back can be useful; it's possible to run off the stage with FAir and make it back without needing the edge, but it's risky. Running off the stage and UAir'ing can work as well if your opponent is above 120%; on grounded opponents, UAir kills at almost the same % as an uncharged USmash (in Training Mode at least)

Boon :o

Smash Journeyman
When on the edge, you can tap down, do a ledgehop, do any airial (except nair) from the ledgehop, and still use aether to get back on the edge. Most useful one is ledgehopped dair I think.
Also, instead of running off the stage and doing an FAir, if a person is hanging on the edge you can run off the stage and bair them to get a stage meteor and still recover. The best stages to use it on are FD (sends them directly down) + battlefield and smashville (sends them about at a 45 degree angle downwards from the postition of the ledge). Usually it gets an instant kill at 45% and up. I tried doing this on Yoshi's island a bit today, and I don't think it works on that stage. I haven't tested Lylat Cruise yet but I think it might work on that stage.
These are both really cool techs I like, but they're really situational >.<
Thanks for being an ike player too xD.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
I'm actually working on what should be the most complete a stage guide for Ike atm. It's what I was trying to send you in the mourning but you never answered lol. According to silven is going to be an awesome guide even though its far from being over. Its pretty huge too 6,600+ words and I could easily see it become 20 or 30 times bigger.

petrie911

Smash Journeyman
This is good news, as Ike needs more representation. He's definitely UU/BL, not NU.

Anyways, out of curiousity, what's your preferred color of Ike?

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
wait, are we talking about NEO, the reffered name of Reed, or Neo, the retired pro-smasher (not saying Reed wasn't pro).

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
WOW

am i not allowed to use other chars other than marth now? ROFL
He was actually talking to Comboking who was basically advetising one of his threads (or Rok's, I didn't bother to look but it's fairly obvious).

Anyways, I can't offer much advice but dthrow into aether works pretty well at low percentages. Also, jab into dtilt works as an amazing spike when timed right.

.:DRAKE:.

Smash Apprentice
NEO you say?

Ike you say?

Matches so hardcore, you won't be abe to sit on your sore *** for a week you say?

**** YES!

*ahem* while I'm here, I'd like to add my next to useless contribution:
.:DRAKE:.'s next to useless "combo":
dash > short hop > nair > fastfall > neutral A (punch) > neutral A (kick) > tap down > neutral A (punch) > neutral A (kick) > neutral A (overhead sword attack)

Like all things Ike:
Powerful? Hell Yes!
Useful? Probably Not!

∫unk

Smash Master
He was actually talking to Comboking who was basically advetising one of his threads (or Rok's, I didn't bother to look but it's fairly obvious).
Actually, I was responding to The One. I'm one of the few Marth's that know of this tragedy and felt compelled to say something.

En.EE.Oh. said:
WOW

am i not allowed to use other chars other than marth now? ROFL
I'm not sure what kind of witchcraft they used to lure you over here, but I expect a return soon enough.

Wrap your tool bro this place is dirrrrrrty. *flame shield on!*

EL tells me you're not completely ditching the real swordsman anyways.

D

Deleted member

Do forward smashes!

charged fsmashes.

don't over B. ever.

edgeguard with up B to edge as a spike.

spam dash attack as if your opponent will always roll dodge backwards (think melee marth dittos when you run extra far and dtilt).

upair covers platforms when your opponent has to stand up.

bait both 2nd jump and air dodge when edgeguarding

abuse the best range/priority combination the game offers.

non-charged B kills MK at gay damages.

Renegade65

Smash Rookie
NNID
W33dGamerzNation
3DS FC
0920-2262-3779
What sup errbody my name is MIKE. Glad to hear that someone wit a good rep is going to throw up that good ol Ike. Ill be happy to do some Ike sparring wit you if u have the net so just PM me if u want to.

Empy

Smash Ace
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands (it ain't much, if it
To add to what Umbreon said;

Uair covers the entire platforms on stages like battlefield, so it's useful for punishing landing, spot-dodging and rolling as well as standing up.

Jab. 2 hit jab combo to grab. Grab release to jab combo. Jab to stop projectiles. Just be careful with the 3th hit as a lot of characters can get something between it. Some easier as others.

Nair can cancel at any moment you hit the stage. It's not completely without lag but a good option anyway.

Fair can be great against people coming back to the stage.

You can hit Snake out of his up B by aiming for his hands. Fair and Bair work best.

Fthrow can chain against walls etc.. though you have to be very close. The set up is extremely easy though (just grab near a wall and get going).

Renegade65

Smash Rookie
NNID
W33dGamerzNation
3DS FC
0920-2262-3779
I got a question fro Umbreon, why u dont use quick draw(over B).

D

Deleted member

anything where you forfeit all control in exchange for a weak, predictable, and extremely abusable attack is no good in my book.

I guess it could work well to go to platform edges for a run off bair or something, but anyone with reaction speed of any kind will likely dodge it easily.

comboking

Smash Master
yah but you should know how far it goes charged and uncharged because if you can space it right it is a good way to approach your opponent. you might not want to do this if he is on the ground and is a fast character. but if you just hit him and he is traveling in the air you can use it.

Top Bottom