• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta "This is the Monado's Power" - Metagame Discussion

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
So I updated the OP with more additions to the table n stuff.
DMArts & HMArts are almost ready for collection of data crunching numbers etc. etc.

Some numbers I draw suspicion for now are:
  • Vanilla's D-air 1st hit dealing 6%.(I consistently get 4%, grounded or airborne. I think 6% is coming from hitting them very close with the Monado's Base / Hilt that would deal the 6%)
So with that, I made some rough testing myself & came up with these new additions on the table. Please let me know if they're wrong so I can fix them. You'll have to check the OP though:
  1. **U-air 2nd hit (Beam)
    [I came up with this conclusion that U-air does have a Beam hit-box. Anytime Shulk is moving upward while the U-air is coming out, he doesn't fall down until the move's 2nd hit finishes, which is why we usually get both hits strong with them inside the U-air dealing 4 / 9 totaling 13% most of the time. Though when you input U-air late, the Blade 1st hit will still deal 4% AFAIK, but any area they're hit by the Monado's Beam it'll deal 6% instead. Idk yet if U-air has a Tipper hit-box yet or not, but I'm curious.]

2. **D-air 2nd hit No Meteor
    (I will point out that the very tip of the 2nd hitting D-air deals 9% for me, but regardless it usually deals 9% for me anytime the Meteor effect isn't happening. It's always a horizontal launch instead.)

Last edited:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
So, I'm beginning to get thoroughly annoyed at the fact that jab1, jab 2, and grab all whiff on Kirby and other such crouching characters.

Heeey whoa

Turns out decisive buster is not bad at all. If anything, it's really good. Yeah, sure. I lost against some characters like Kirby (Who has always been a personal gripe of mine) or Wario (idk I suck). The damage output is definitely explosive (As in, racking up around 100% damage is insane). Also on the way, I actually started getting used to playing very cautiously because I'll admit something here, there are moments where I get too aggressive with jump and speed. As in, way too aggressive to the point I forget that Shulk's attacks have lag and I forget to space 'em. Of course, I didn't use this against Rosalina, Sheik, Greninja and ****ing Diddy

I switched back from Advancing air slash to Default air slash so I can grab the ledge and KO people by reversing my air slash from the ledge. I feel like if I use Advancing air slash, I might go too far from the ledge (Being paranoid here). Although, I think I wouldn't worry about this if I used Monado Jump. Maybe I'll switch back again. Don't know. Some opinions would be appreciated

I ignored Mighty Air slash and back slash leap. Not sure how to utilize them well. Mighty air slash is a good recovery but I don't know. Air slash is a great KO move for me. Connecting all 2 hits of Mighty air slash is difficult especially if you use it on a heavy character so I'm given not much reasons to swap Air slash/Advancing air slash for mighty air slash

Also, I got gimped by some gust effect. I tried to air slash but I was blown off. lmao

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I like extremes, so I usually go for HMarts.

Just went to training and did some testing on Bowser, at 52%, in HSmash, with an angled up fsmash, at the very ledge I kod him consistently. We'll assume there was no vectoring, but that's still amazing despite how difficult it'd be to do this in the time HSmash is active. The thing is though, HBuster can rack that up super easy. as not only does the damage increase, but the knockbadk reduces even more. When running towards them, if the art goes off at the right time you can cancel your dash immediately into a dsmash, which does 46% should all hits connect. That's nearly there, and one good read will put him over the top.

Also, has anyone played around with HSpeed? The reduced jump height is reduced more, allowing you to get nairs out super fast(They fo 3%, but it's still pretty awesome and great for comboing.).

That super armor back slash is awesome, as it not onyl has the sa but it gives you a boost forward aiding in recovery.

Mighty Air Slash seems to go higher, although the hits don't link together very well(I had to wait a sizable delay for it to hit the training Bowser, so I'll assume vs. a human this won't work.). This slash though, when combined with HJump is insane.

Also, at 4%, with the same condition for the fsmash, countering a bob-omb kills bowser. I wonder what countering a smash would do?

bob-omb kill percents at the ledge with HShield
166% thrown down
125% attacked/touched

And with Monado Jump, you can sh off the stage, use a fair, and with mighty air slash still make it to the other side of omega battlefield.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I like extremes, so I usually go for HMarts.

Just went to training and did some testing on Bowser, at 52%, in HSmash, with an angled up fsmash, at the very ledge I kod him consistently. We'll assume there was no vectoring, but that's still amazing despite how difficult it'd be to do this in the time HSmash is active. The thing is though, HBuster can rack that up super easy. as not only does the damage increase, but the knockbadk reduces even more. When running towards them, if the art goes off at the right time you can cancel your dash immediately into a dsmash, which does 46% should all hits connect. That's nearly there, and one good read will put him over the top.

Also, has anyone played around with HSpeed? The reduced jump height is reduced more, allowing you to get nairs out super fast(They fo 3%, but it's still pretty awesome and great for comboing.).

That super armor back slash is awesome, as it not onyl has the sa but it gives you a boost forward aiding in recovery.

Mighty Air Slash seems to go higher, although the hits don't link together very well(I had to wait a sizable delay for it to hit the training Bowser, so I'll assume vs. a human this won't work.). This slash though, when combined with HJump is insane.

Also, at 4%, with the same condition for the fsmash, countering a bob-omb kills bowser. I wonder what countering a smash would do?

bob-omb kill percents at the ledge with HShield
166% thrown down
125% attacked/touched

And with Monado Jump, you can sh off the stage, use a fair, and with mighty air slash still make it to the other side of omega battlefield.
Wow. That damage against bowser with hyper buster uncharged down smash... I had to check just to be sure! Indeed, with both at 0%, the down smash actually can hit bowser twice if you are close to him. This will send him straight into low to mid 40% damage. Insane. If you're farther away from him you will only do one hit. If you are practically inside of him, it will actually hit 3 times and give him 55% damage (last hit is on tip).

Also, I did not know that Mighty Air Slash has greater height. Good to know. The first press of normal air slash falls just short of landing you on the top of battlefield's top platform, but the first press of mighty air slash allows you to get up there with no issue. The first press of mighty air slash is roughly the same height as both presses with normal air slash.

I would be careful using Back Slash Charge to recover since it has much more landing lag at the end.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
So, I'm beginning to get thoroughly annoyed at the fact that jab1, jab 2, and grab all whiff on Kirby and other such crouching characters.
I'm thinking Jigglypuff is the worst to deal with simply because she could crouch either Jab & punish with rest if she's quick to SH out of crouch, which is dumb because only the third jab of the Monado starting low to high will hit her. I'm sure G&W could do this too, & that's a Judge 9 opportunity as well. For the grab whiff, retreating pivot grabs for life? D-tilt is our savior, but not at point-blank range.
I switched back from Advancing air slash to Default air slash so I can grab the ledge and KO people by reversing my air slash from the ledge. I feel like if I use Advancing air slash, I might go too far from the ledge (Being paranoid here). Although, I think I wouldn't worry about this if I used Monado Jump. Maybe I'll switch back again. Don't know. Some opinions would be appreciated

I ignored Mighty Air slash and back slash leap. Not sure how to utilize them well. Mighty air slash is a good recovery but I don't know. Air slash is a great KO move for me. Connecting all 2 hits of Mighty air slash is difficult especially if you use it on a heavy character so I'm given not much reasons to swap Air slash/Advancing air slash for mighty air slash

Also, I got gimped by some gust effect. I tried to air slash but I was blown off. lmao
Instead of Special Reversing Air Slash, what about just Turn Around Air Slash? Granted it's a small difference of distance shaved, but it could go a long way of saving us. That could help solve the worry some, because the extra reversed momentum to the first rising slash of AAS may add-on to the entire momentum of AAS 2nd hit advancing you too far forward, sorry if this wasn't helpful.

I feel you on MAS, it's means of vertical game is great, but ofc the horizontal department is low. MAS is better off used against Light characters, character-dependent-wise. MAS may be better off used for edge-guarding reversing the direction instead of AAS if we don't feel comfortable with the lateral mid-air dash that sends us further from snap-grabbing the ledge, because at least MAS we know it won't go much anywhere forward, & it sends us higher when we delay the 2nd hit. But that's all I can say about this.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I'd just like to be clear, I meant to write dash counter, meaning I threw the bomb into the air while in HSmash, and dashed across killing Bowser at 4% at the ledge.

I always do the turnaround Air Slash, as I never thought to reverse it lol.

I don't use the SA Back Slash tor recovering, but the thought of SAing through say fire breath while making it to the stage and hitting them is pretty cool.

Also, for low crouchers I'd suggest well spaced nairs, to be out of shield grab range with the potential to hit. WFT probably avoids the mentioned moves as well, as when I play her I stay crouched the majority of the time dodging attacks lol.

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
SmashWiki said that his attacks are more powerful in the middle like Roy's. Is this true?

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I'd just like to be clear, I meant to write dash counter, meaning I threw the bomb into the air while in HSmash, and dashed across killing Bowser at 4% at the ledge.

I always do the turnaround Air Slash, as I never thought to reverse it lol.

I don't use the SA Back Slash tor recovering, but the thought of SAing through say fire breath while making it to the stage and hitting them is pretty cool.

Also, for low crouchers I'd suggest well spaced nairs, to be out of shield grab range with the potential to hit. WFT probably avoids the mentioned moves as well, as when I play her I stay crouched the majority of the time dodging attacks lol.
So you're saying that HSmash applies to your own property-throwing Bob-omb? So with that same logic, throwing a Bob-omb while HBuster is on, the Bob-omb will deal a ton of damage & have reduced launch power correct? Or do Items even become affected by MArts. I expect them not to, but to be safe & consider it likely because it's not out of them realm of possibility.

And I would always do Turn Around Air Slash, except that's harder to input on the 3DS rather than simply doing a Special Reversed Air Slash. Especially out of Footstooling someone, & following up with buffering Air Slash.

I pretend Back Slash Charge is like Zard's Flare Blitz only in the aspect of the SA approach while being a mad-good horizontal recovery option airborne. IF we use it lower in mid-air while recovering, it won't be as bad as using it high to get away from the edge-guard because frankly, BSC's end lag is horrid, & we might as well use the SA to push through projectile camping / edge-guards. And obviously not too low because SD thus dying equaling bad play.

When we get a compiling list of Crouching characters & who sinks the lowest, we'll know exactly who not to try attempting standing grabs or jab including F-tilt because we can't tilt F-tilt downwards (for some dumb reason). My thoughts on who we might not want to Jab, standing grab, or F-tilt:
:4diddy::4duckhunt::4gaw::4jigglypuff::4kirby::4ness::4olimar::4pikachu::4samus:(Depending or not her Down-B Bomb can avoid us):4sheik::4wiifit: & :4zss:
SmashWiki said that his attacks are more powerful in the middle like Roy's. Is this true?
Generally yes, the Tipper is the weakest sour-spot Shulk has. The one & only exception to this rule however is N-air, which is a small but great reason why we love spacing N-air.

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
Generally yes, the Tipper is the weakest sour-spot Shulk has. The one & only exception to this rule however is N-air, which is a small but great reason why we love spacing N-air.
So the Nair does more damage on the tip?

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
So the Nair does more damage on the tip?
N-air (Blade): 6%
N-air (Beam): 7%

N-air technically doesn't have a Tipper area. We just like super-spacing it to be safe. If you wanna know how N-air deals 6%, but other times deals 7%, notice where you're N-air is connecting when hitting someone. When Shulk swings the Monado & you see the red Monado sword hitting, that's the Blade, if you're hitting outside that range of the Blade, it's the Beam hitting them.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
So you're saying that HSmash applies to your own property-throwing Bob-omb? So with that same logic, throwing a Bob-omb while HBuster is on, the Bob-omb will deal a ton of damage & have reduced launch power correct? Or do Items even become affected by MArts. I expect them not to, but to be safe & consider it likely because it's not out of them realm of possibility.

And I would always do Turn Around Air Slash, except that's harder to input on the 3DS rather than simply doing a Special Reversed Air Slash. Especially out of Footstooling someone, & following up with buffering Air Slash.

I pretend Back Slash Charge is like Zard's Flare Blitz only in the aspect of the SA approach while being a mad-good horizontal recovery option airborne. IF we use it lower in mid-air while recovering, it won't be as bad as using it high to get away from the edge-guard because frankly, BSC's end lag is horrid, & we might as well use the SA to push through projectile camping / edge-guards. And obviously not too low because SD thus dying equaling bad play.

When we get a compiling list of Crouching characters & who sinks the lowest, we'll know exactly who not to try attempting standing grabs or jab including F-tilt because we can't tilt F-tilt downwards (for some dumb reason). My thoughts on who we might not want to Jab, standing grab, or F-tilt:
:4diddy::4duckhunt::4gaw::4jigglypuff::4kirby::4ness::4olimar::4pikachu::4samus:(Depending or not her Down-B Bomb can avoid us):4sheik::4wiifit: & :4zss:

I always admire your thorough responses.

I'm unsure of that actually, the arts affectng items, I never even thought of that. I was trying to describe the kill potential of a long ranged counter, but this may change everything regarding this.

Isn't a turnaround Air Slash just diagonal up left/right? Either way yeah everything is tougher on the pad.

I'm like BSC, but I'm interested in seeing if BSL can be a follow up to anything.

That list looks like it'd be it, DH is right.

I'm thinking Jigglypuff is the worst to deal with simply because she could crouch either Jab & punish with rest if she's quick to SH out of crouch, which is dumb because only the third jab of the Monado starting low to high will hit her. I'm sure G&W could do this too, & that's a Judge 9 opportunity as well. For the grab whiff, retreating pivot grabs for life? D-tilt is our savior, but not at point-blank range.
D-tilt only whiffs at point blank against humanoid characters

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292

Well it does effect Homerun bat, hence why I got 4308 ft with Shulk. This would apply to any other held item too. It does not work with items you throw (tested it), but works with your counter in reaction to items thrown at you. It also does not work with projectiles created by items (ore club's tornado, super scope, etc). They do have an effect on your final smash though (although, it's probably smartest to be in normal mode if you want both the damage and knockback of the fs).

Unrelated: Does Monado Buster increase your damage to shields? I think I have been observing that it does.

Unrelated: Does Monado Buster increase your damage to shields? I think I have been observing that it does.
I've asked this once and this is what I got

No. It doesn't have additional shield damage but buster itself does so much damage on shield because of the sheer damage output

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
So when up close, AAA combo against humanoids and dtilt against non-humanoids in most cases. Sounds good.

So when up close, AAA combo against humanoids
I don't think, at high %'s at least, jab combo fully connects against any character that's light and floaty (Rosalina comes into mind)

Also, back slash's sweet spot is on the tip

Last edited:

NT 3000

Style>Winning
NNID
NoiseTank3000
3DS FC
2578-3240-5015
As well being an ike main nair dwn tilt is a staple for my playstyle. The spacing is real!!!! Also I fall in love with jump style more and more...the off stage gimps and nair to nair follow ups are fantastic!

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
D-tilt only whiffs at point blank against humanoid characters
Right right thanks.:shades: I looked back at Soul Blazer's post on page 3 or 4 & saw the compiled list. I need to put that in the OP somewhere.:estatic:
I always admire your thorough responses.

I'm unsure of that actually, the arts affectng items, I never even thought of that. I was trying to describe the kill potential of a long ranged counter, but this may change everything regarding this.

Isn't a turnaround Air Slash just diagonal up left/right? Either way yeah everything is tougher on the pad.

I'm like BSC, but I'm interested in seeing if BSL can be a follow up to anything.

That list looks like it'd be it, DH is right.
Sorry but thank you.

And thanks to @ erico9001 erico9001 for the recent reply, property-owned items thrown or shooting items are not increased by MArts. But held items used are affected, so in a sense, MArts with held items promote the idea it's better to keep using the item rather than throwing it away. Casual Shulks must know this at once to achieve 100% total victory in 4v4 items on FFAs!
:troll:
So, in that sense, Battering & perhaps Special items & the Transformation item Bullet Bill would be affected by MArts effects:
http://www.ssbwiki.com/Item
Battering items:
  • Beam Sword (Interested to see what Shulk's attacks looks like with this held, double Beam attacking tilt & smash?!)
  • Fan (Buster eat your heart out, if it's in the game confirmed, the shield damage will be REAL)
  • Fire Bar (FIYAH!)
  • Home-run Bat (HRC too easy)
  • Lip's Stick (oh snap, the DOT flower! Buster confirmed overpowered?):troll:
  • Ore Club (not the tornado)
  • Parasol (Reducing falling speed. . .Monado Jump is saved!. . .Hell even Shield & Speed are saved too!):cool:
  • Star Rod (not the shooting star projectile)
Specials in question that I would guess are affected by MArts:
  • Golden Hammer (Buster or Smash. . . Ofc Counterattacks say hi, & getting knocked off-stage, but still)
  • Hammer
  • Soccer Ball
  • Warp Star (oh ****)
I like BSC too. Though now I wanna give some attention to BSL. I think it zones the ledge better, so in aspects of edge-guarding on-stage, BSL seems the way to go. It can cover a lot of get-up options if you react quick enough to their ledge-jump or ledge-roll, but this Custom needs more analysis. I don't see as much Customs in YT matches.:ohwell:
I've asked this once and this is what I got

No. It doesn't have additional shield damage but buster itself does so much damage on shield because of the sheer damage output
I've seen that said too, &but the shieldstun is undeniably good, Buster F-tilt on shield for days is safe imo. Other than F-tilt, I don't see Buster attacks on shield very often, not even N-air.
As well being an ike main nair dwn tilt is a staple for my playstyle. The spacing is real!!!! Also I fall in love with jump style more and more...the off stage gimps and nair to nair follow ups are fantastic!
Speaking of gimps, It's funny but I used the start-up of B-air in front of Shulk off-stage for edge-guarding. It's hilarious when you land it.:shades: Ofc I only use it after I F-air for the first hit, then I follow-up with the start-up of B-air to bump them.

Last edited:

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I also checked bullet bill and dragoon and they don't get effected either. I would assume warpstar wouldn't either.
edit: confirmed

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I also checked bullet bill and dragoon and they don't get effected either. I would assume warpstar wouldn't either.
edit: confirmed
I didn't suspect Dragoon would be affected for an odd reason, maybe it's because in the end we have the lock-on feature that shoots us? It wouldn't matter anyway since Dragoon is a OHKO, but wait. . .what about Shield, DShield, or HShield perhaps saving us??
That would be cool.
*turns on Shield Art & taunts for trollolol*

Last edited:

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I didn't suspect Dragoon would be affected for an odd reason, maybe it's because in the end we have the lock-on feature that shoots us? It wouldn't matter anyway since Dragoon is a OHKO, but wait. . .what about Shield, DShield, or HShield perhaps saving us??
That would be cool.
*turns on Shield Art & taunts for trollolol*
Oo good point! I can test that in a second. I found something interesting though... It looks like Monado Shield and Monado Speed have no effect on your run or jump when you have a bunny hood, and Jump has no effect on your jump when you have a bunny hood.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Oo good point! I can test that in a second. I found something interesting though... It looks like Monado Shield and Monado Speed have no effect on your run or jump when you have a bunny hood, and Jump has no effect on your jump when you have a bunny hood.
I guess that would make sense. Sakurai didn't want us killing ourselves from Star KO seppuku combo of Jump + Bunny Hood.
In all seriousness, perhaps it's because Bunny Hood is a status item that affects our stats, & because of Bunny Hood increasing running speed, air speed, & jump height including falling speed, MArts can't stack with it.

That's interesting. Nothing changes if you activate MArts before or afterputting on the Bunny Hood?

EDIT: Guys, Back Slash's greatest weakness is the Back Shield item.
:troll: Damn you Sakurai!

Last edited:

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Well here's something - Buster/Speed/Shield/Smash do not effect either the hammer's damage or knockback. However, Speed, Jump, and Shield all effect the hammer's jump and speed in their respective manners. I have not figured out the ko item vs shield thing yet though.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Well here's something - Buster/Speed/Shield/Smash do not effect either the hammer's damage or knockback. However, Speed, Jump, and Shield all effect the hammer's jump and speed in their respective manners. I have not figured out the ko item vs shield thing yet though.
Now I'm baffled. . and we should make a thread about this. This is all interesting to be honest, & very educational for Item reasons.

Last edited:

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Lol yep there is lots of juicy information for items usage.

So far I have found that Shield helps somewhat against a home run bat, but the options are very limited. If you are on the far side of final destination with both people at 0% (I had a yoshi hit me - this is also significant): With Shield, Shulk ALMOST died, and I was able to recover only by switching to Monado Jump.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Lol yep there is lots of juicy information for items usage.

So far I have found that Shield helps somewhat against a home run bat, but the options are very limited. If you are on the far side of final destination with both people at 0% (I had a yoshi hit me - this is also significant): With Shield, Shulk ALMOST died, and I was able to recover only by switching to Monado Jump.
I believe Home-run Bat does more damage & knockback when Tipped, & DShield or HShield may help even more too. This is a nice find.:shades:

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Oh true I totally forgot custom monado arts existed :p. I did not tip the bat

I can't get dragoon or the kid icarus gun item to spawn... It's weird.

edit: I've been waiting for a while. I wonder if whether it appears or not is determined by something that is not time - maybe damage done or distance traveled.

edit: haha, dragoon barely did any knockback against Shulk at 0% in Monado Shield. Does it usually KO at 0%? That was laughable.
edit: I think they proportion out the rate of appearance to the length of the match. I had my match set to stock 99 and it was going really slowly, and now with a time match of 5 minutes it's going much faster.
edit: With the kid icarus gun item, I also barely took any knockback when I was at 0%.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
According to the wiki about Dragoon, it deals 40% & is almost always a OHKO. And apparently this move doesn't OHKO if the character's move has launch resistance, aka Super Armor. Technically Shield isn't SA, but it is a means of resisting launch power, so, I can believe it.:shades::shades:

EDIT: Because SA ignores Dragoon, then BSC has an advantage, but you'd have to make it count.

EDIT#2: The OHKO's are: http://www.ssbwiki.com/One-hit_KO#In_Super_Smash_Bros._4
  • Home Run Bat smash attack
  • Daybreak's sweet-spot (whatever that would be)
  • Dragoon
  • Master Core's final attack (when you don't destroy it in time). . .That's interesting I wanna test that out. .:ohwell:
  • Mr. G&W's Full-loaded Oil Panic (Probably should test Pika's Thunder. It fills it in one go & it's a OHKO)
  • Marth & Lucina's Final Smash
  • Electrode's explosion
  • Touching an Orne
  • Giga Mac's Fullcharged Straight Lunge sweet-spot (wherever that would be)

Last edited:

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I'll be going to bed soon. I would think Shield would be a good idea against almost all FS. I will test out marth/lucina FS. What is an Ome though?
edit: Oh, just had to follow the link you provided.
edit: Lucina's Final Smash is still a gaurenteed KO against normal monado shield. Hyper Monado arts might be different though =].

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Wait what items discussion?

What's going on?

@_@
For those Items-allowed tournaments.;)
Not to mention characters have items too, so it's not going to a total waste discussing items in Shulks Metagame. I kinda wished Shulk had a means of a projectile, but playing with the Monado's range makes me feel less wishful for a built-in item within his move-set.

So I updated the OP with more additions to the table n stuff.
DMArts & HMArts are almost ready for collection of data crunching numbers etc. etc.

Some numbers I draw suspicion for now are:
  • Vanilla's D-air 1st hit dealing 6%.(I consistently get 4%, grounded or airborne. I think 6% is coming from hitting them very close with the Monado's Base / Hilt that would deal the 6%)
So with that, I made some rough testing myself & came up with these new additions on the table. Please let me know if they're wrong so I can fix them. You'll have to check the OP though:
  1. **U-air 2nd hit (Beam)
    [I came up with this conclusion that U-air does have a Beam hit-box. Anytime Shulk is moving upward while the U-air is coming out, he doesn't fall down until the move's 2nd hit finishes, which is why we usually get both hits strong with them inside the U-air dealing 4 / 9 totaling 13% most of the time. Though when you input U-air late, the Blade 1st hit will still deal 4% AFAIK, but any area they're hit by the Monado's Beam it'll deal 6% instead. Idk yet if U-air has a Tipper hit-box yet or not, but I'm curious.]

2. **D-air 2nd hit No Meteor
    (I will point out that the very tip of the 2nd hitting D-air deals 9% for me, but regardless it usually deals 9% for me anytime the Meteor effect isn't happening. It's always a horizontal launch instead.)
First hit of d-air is 6% at vanilla

Tipping the beam portion of u-air deals 6%. Not tipping the beam deals 9%

2nd hit of d-air is definitely a meteor smash. Hit it with the blade of the monado. Not the beam

Last edited:
@ Masonomace Masonomace

D-smash stuff- Let's be real. We're not getting multiple hits out of d-smash unless we're in buster

Vanilla/Jump (Whether it's Hyper or decisive, doesn't matter)
D-smash (Front blade) 13-18%
D-smash (Front beam) 10-14%
D-smash (Back blade) 11-15%
D-smash (Back beam) 9-12%
D-smash (Weak hit) 3-4%

Speed (Default and decisive/Hyper)
D-smash (Front blade) 9-13% / 7-10%
D-smash (Front beam) 7-10% / 5-8%
D-smash (Back blade) 7-11% / 6-8%
D-smash (Back beam) 6-9% / 5-7%
D-smash (Weak hit) 2-3% / 1-2%

Shield (Default and decisive/Hyper)
D-smash (Front blade) 9-12% / 7-10%
D-smash (Front beam) 7-9% / 5-7%
D-smash (Back blade) 7-10% / 6-8%
D-smash (Back beam) 6-8% / 5-8%
D-smash (Weak hit) 2% / 2%

Buster (Default/Decisive/Hyper)
D-smash (Front blade) (18% | 7%) - (25% | 9%) / (20% | 10%) - (28% | 6%) / (21% | 15%) - (30% | 16%)
D-smash (Front beam) 14-19% / 15-21% / 16-23%
D-smash (Back blade) (15% | 9%) - 21% / (16% | 10%) - 23% / (18% | 11%) - (25% | 16%)
D-smash (Back beam) 12-17% / 13-19% / 15-21%
D-smash (Weak hit) 4-5% / 4-6% / 7%

Smash (Default and decisive/Hyper)
D-smash (Front blade) 6-9% / 5-7%
D-smash (Front beam) 5-7% / 4-5%
D-smash (Back blade) 5-7% / 4-6%
D-smash (Back beam) 4-6% / 3-5%
D-smash (Weak hit) 1-2% / 1%

Note that you only need to take note of buster's decisive damage. Since decisive doesn't enhance the drawbacks, we shouldn't bother with the rest

EDIT (INCOMING DISORGANIZED DATA ASDF)

Jab
Decisive buster 4/4/6
Hyper speed 1/1/2
Hyper shield 1/1/2
Hyper buster 5/5/7
Hyper smash 1/1//1

F-tilt
Decisive buster 18 (Base), 16 (Tip)
Hyper speed 6 (Base and tip)
Hyper shield 6 (Base), 5 (Tip)
Hyper buster 20 (Base), 17 (Tip)
Hyper smash 4 (Base and tip)

U-tilt
Decisive buster 10 (Base), 9 (Tip)
Hyper speed 4 (Base), 3 (Tip)
Hyper shield 3 (Base and tip)
Hyper buster 11 (Base), 10 (Tip)
Hyper smash 2 (Base and tip)

D-tilt
Decisive buster 12 (Base), 9 (Tip)
Hyper shield 4 (Base), 3 (Tip)
Hyper buster 13 (Base), 10 (Tip)
Hyper smash 3 (Base), 2 (Tip)

F-smash
Decisive buster 7/19 - 10/26
Hyper speed 2/7 - 4/10
Hyper shield 2/7 - 3/9
Hyper buster 8/21 - 11/29
Hyper smash 2/5 - 2/7

U-smash
Decisive buster 6/20 - 8/28
Hyper speed 2/7 - 3/10
Hyper shield 2/7 - 3/10
Hyper buster 6/21 - 9/30
Hyper smash 1/5 - 2/7

F-air
Decisive buster 10% (Blade) / 7% (Tip)
Hyper speed 3% (Blade) / 2% (Tip)
Hyper shield 3% (Blade) / 2% (Tip)
Hyper buster 10% (Blade) / 8% (Tip)
Hyper smash 2% (Blade and tip)

N-air
Decisive buster 9% (Blade) 10% (Tip)
Hyper speed 3% (Blade and tip)
Hyper shield 3% (Blade and tip)
Hyper buster 11% (Tip), 10% (Base)

B-air
Decisive buster 16 (Not tip), 10 (tip)
Hyper speed 6 (Not tip), 4 (tip)
Hyper shield 6 (Not tip), 3 (tip)
Hyper buster 18 (Not tip), 11 (tip)
Hyper smash 4 (Not tip), 2 (Tip)

D-air
Decisive buster 9/13
Hyper speed 3/5
Hyper shield 3/5
Hyper buster 10/15
Hyper smash 2/3

U-air
Decisive buster 6% (First hit) / 13% (Second hit base), 10% (Second hit tip)
Hyper speed 2% (First hit) / 5% (Second hit base), 3% (Second hit tip)
Hyper shield 2% (First hit) / 5% (Second hit base), 3% (Second hit tip)
Hyper buster 6% (First hit) / 15% (Second hit base), 10% (Second hit tip)
Hyper smash 1% (First hit) / 3% (Second hit base), 2% (Second hit tip)

Pummel
Decisive buster 4%
Hyper speed 1%
Hyper shield 1%
Hyper buster 5%
Hyper smash 1%

F-throw
Decisive buster 3/12
Hyper speed 1/4
Hyper shield 1/4
Hyper buster 3/13
Hyper smash 1/3

U-throw
Decisive buster 3/6
Hyper speed 1/2
Hyper shield 1/2
Hyper buster 3/6
Hyper smash 1/1

D-throw
Decisive buster 3/6
Hyper speed 1/2
Hyper shield 1/2
Hyper buster 3/6
Hyper smash 1/1

B-throw
Decisive buster 3/13
Hyper speed 1/6
Hyper shield 1/5
Hyper buster 3/15
Hyper smash 1/3

Double checking would be nice

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
First hit of d-air is 6% at vanilla

Tipping the beam portion of u-air deals 6%. Not tipping the beam deals 9%

2nd hit of d-air is definitely a meteor smash. Hit it with the blade of the monado. Not the beam
I see. Where are you connecting with the Monado to deal the 6%? I didn't test it much but I got 4% in Training Mode, & looked up YT videos of showcasing Shulk's move-set & I notice they're getting 4% too. However I did see a match of this Shulk on YI falling down from the angled up platform, & he was falling on top of them, connecting with the first hit of D-air & got 6% at Vanilla. I studied it, & he looked like he was hitting pretty close with the Base of the Monado. (The circular glass area)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Nice. Tipping with the Beam dealing 6% still is good to know. However U-air's 2nd hit with the Beam deals 6% when they aren't touching the red Monado Blade though. If they're touching the U-air's Blade portion during the 2nd hit, then they'll be dealt 9% shown below:
Falcon's still in the vicinity of the Monado Blade, so the 2nd hit deals 9% here.

Now here's a clip of Falcon barrrrrrrrely touching the tip of the Monado Blade, where the 2nd hit is dealing 6%.

But if you want a more convincing moment, then the GIF below will show it's not just from the very tip of the Beam, but right outside of the Monado Blade area.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
I know the 2nd hit can be a Meteor, but it's not always a Meteor. I was addressing that there is another hit-box to the 2nd hit of D-air that doesn't Meteor, shown here in ZeRo's Analysis video in the OP:

The D-air didn't connect with the Blade first, but & it dealt 9% while not doing the Meteor. This is what I was going to add to the table in case people get confused why their 2nd hit of D-air isn't dealing 10%, & not Meteor smashing.
@ Masonomace Masonomace

D-smash stuff- Let's be real. We're not getting multiple hits out of d-smash unless we're in buster

Vanilla/Jump (Whether it's Hyper or decisive, doesn't matter)
D-smash (Front blade) 13-18%
D-smash (Front beam) 10-14%
D-smash (Back blade) 11-15%
D-smash (Back beam) 9-12%
D-smash (Weak hit) 3-4%

Speed (Default and decisive/Hyper)
D-smash (Front blade) 9-13% / 7-10%
D-smash (Front beam) 7-10% / 5-8%
D-smash (Back blade) 7-11% / 6-8%
D-smash (Back beam) 6-9% / 5-7%
D-smash (Weak hit) 2-3% / 1-2%

Shield (Default and decisive/Hyper)
D-smash (Front blade) 9-12% / 7-10%
D-smash (Front beam) 7-9% / 5-7%
D-smash (Back blade) 7-10% / 6-8%
D-smash (Back beam) 6-8% / 5-8%
D-smash (Weak hit) 2% / 2%

Buster (Default/Decisive/Hyper)
D-smash (Front blade) (18% | 7%) - (25% | 9%) / (20% | 10%) - (28% | 6%) / (21% | 15%) - (30% | 16%)
D-smash (Front beam) 14-19% / 15-21% / 16-23%
D-smash (Back blade) (15% | 9%) - 21% / (16% | 10%) - 23% / (18% | 11%) - (25% | 16%)
D-smash (Back beam) 12-17% / 13-19% / 15-21%
D-smash (Weak hit) 4-5% / 4-6% / 7%

Smash (Default and decisive/Hyper)
D-smash (Front blade) 6-9% / 5-7%
D-smash (Front beam) 5-7% / 4-5%
D-smash (Back blade) 5-7% / 4-6%
D-smash (Back beam) 4-6% / 3-5%
D-smash (Weak hit) 1-2% / 1%

Note that you only need to take note of buster's decisive damage. Since decisive doesn't enhance the drawbacks, we shouldn't bother with the rest

EDIT (INCOMING DISORGANIZED DATA ASDF)

Jab
Decisive buster 4/4/6
Hyper speed 1/1/2
Hyper shield 1/1/2
Hyper buster 5/5/7
Hyper smash 1/1//1

F-tilt
Decisive buster 18 (Base), 16 (Tip)
Hyper speed 6 (Base and tip)
Hyper shield 6 (Base), 5 (Tip)
Hyper buster 20 (Base), 17 (Tip)
Hyper smash 4 (Base and tip)

U-tilt
Decisive buster 10 (Base), 9 (Tip)
Hyper shield 3 (Base and tip)
Hyper buster 11 (Base), 10 (Tip)
Hyper smash 2 (Base and tip)

D-tilt
Decisive buster 12 (Base), 9 (Tip)
Hyper shield 4 (Base), 3 (Tip)
Hyper buster 13 (Base), 10 (Tip)
Hyper smash 3 (Base), 2 (Tip)

F-smash
Decisive buster 7/19 - 10/26
Hyper speed 2/7 - 4/10
Hyper shield 2/7 - 3/9
Hyper buster 8/21 - 11/29
Hyper smash 2/5 - 2/7

U-smash
Decisive buster 6/20 - 8/28
Hyper speed 2/7 - 3/10
Hyper shield 2/7 - 3/10
Hyper buster 6/21 - 9/30
Hyper smash 1/5 - 2/7

F-air
Decisive buster 10% (Blade) / 7% (Tip)
Hyper speed 3% (Blade) / 2% (Tip)
Hyper shield 3% (Blade) / 2% (Tip)
Hyper buster 10% (Blade) / 8% (Tip)

N-air
Decisive buster 9% (Blade) 10% (Tip)
Hyper speed 3% (Blade and tip)
Hyper shield 3% (Blade and tip)
Hyper buster 11% (Tip), 10% (Base)

B-air
Decisive buster 16 (Not tip), 10 (tip)
Hyper speed 6 (Not tip), 4 (tip)
Hyper shield 6 (Not tip), 3 (tip)
Hyper buster 18 (Not tip), 11 (tip)
Hyper smash 4 (Not tip), 2 (Tip)

D-air
Decisive buster 9/13
Hyper speed 3/5
Hyper shield 3/5
Hyper buster 10/15
Hyper smash 2/3

U-air
Decisive buster 6% (First hit) / 13% (Second hit base), 10% (Second hit tip)
Hyper speed 2% (First hit) / 5% (Second hit base), 3% (Second hit tip)
Hyper shield 2% (First hit) / 5% (Second hit base), 3% (Second hit tip)
Hyper buster 6% (First hit) / 15% (Second hit base), 10% (Second hit tip)
Hyper smash 1% (First hit) / 3% (Second hit base), 2% (Second hit tip)

Pummel
Decisive buster 4%
Hyper speed 1%
Hyper shield 1%
Hyper buster 5%
Hyper smash 1%

F-throw
Decisive buster 3/12
Hyper speed 1/4
Hyper shield 1/4
Hyper buster 3/13
Hyper smash 1/3

U-throw
Decisive buster 3/6
Hyper speed 1/2
Hyper shield 1/2
Hyper buster 3/6
Hyper smash 1/1

D-throw
Decisive buster 3/6
Hyper speed 1/2
Hyper shield 1/2
Hyper buster 3/6
Hyper smash 1/1

B-throw
Decisive buster 3/13
Hyper speed 1/6
Hyper shield 1/5
Hyper buster 3/15
Hyper smash 1/3

Double checking would be nice
This fantastic data Berserk. You're going ham to the max! And for the realization of D-smash hitting 3 times, you're right since only Bowser, or another Shulk using EShield could take all 3 hits, which could be do-able, but more work which I wouldn't even do, & I'm a completionist when it comes to data collecting via observation and / or actual testing. The only time we'd get the 2nd or 3rd hit of D-smash at all, is if they were to let go of their shield to try punishing that frame-window, which might be possible, but very unlikely. That D-smash collection of data looks intimidating, because it's kind of complicated for me, so lemme know if I make any mistakes to the tables when I make updates.

Again this is a huge thanks Berserk. Let me know when your next Life Anniversary comes up, I gotta sing & wish you happy life anniversary!:shades:

Last edited:
If the character is grounded, the meteor effect won't kick in for some reason. The character has to be air borne

Some values aren't correct though in the damage chart I put. Pretty sure some of them are decimals (0 damage registered as 1%). Ugh. I think I'll do a rerun with everything tomorrow. idk

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Hmm. .. well how about this landing lag data going to the OP? Or is the following best in a Frame Data Thread?
|N-air|F-air|B-air|U-air|D-air| Air dodge
Shulk | 12 | 21 | 21 | 17 | 25 | 22
What I'm wondering now is why we aren't landing with U-air more. It's our 2nd least landing lag move!
EDIT: In all seriousness, landing with U-air properly with timing can have both hits come out right before landing. U-air's lingering halts, & we interrupt it quicker. Mind you this could be for characters below us falling down upon the stage ground.

Last edited:
Top Bottom