• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta "This is the Monado's Power" - Metagame Discussion

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Just to be clear, it only lasts until you cancel it correct?

Or it ends naturally of course

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
So basically. . .the MArts activated to have those animations used on purpose is like having a Olimar Whistle but instead of Super Armor, it's Intangibility.

This may work with Spot-dodging. Why I say that is because when Shulk's sit there out in the open pretending to be unsafe, they usually spot-dodge oncoming Dash Attacks or Dashgrabs, once the Art activates after using spot-dodge, it's basically additional invinci-frames.:surprised:

I feel like Invincibility frames / intangibility frames could be in the General Abbreviations, & in Shulk's Exclusive Abbreviations if we make up a term for Shulk's MArt's intangibility. I'm now wondering if the MArt's animations are different with how long all of them last duration-wise.

*Crosses my fingers for Shield having the longest invinci-frames duration*

EDIT: New underrated tactic: Use Buster to wear down an opponent's shield with stronger tilts or smashes. Perfect candidate moves would be Ftilt, Dsmash & Fsmash. Buster's Ftilt is definitely safe on shield considering the sheildstun & increased shield damage they take, though Fsmash would need to connect with both hits to push them back twice as further so Fsmash would need hella good spacing on the ground at the point you would connect the Monado's edge of the attack to hit their shield thus pushing them back in range to be hit by the tip of the Monado's Beam. Dsmash is for roll reads, but a 3 frontward spinning attacks on shield with Buster activated might be a shield break or close to it. That deserves some testing, especially if someone were to dash+shield+cancel fairly in front of you.

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Alternatively, it could make something ordinarily not safe incredibly safe. Is it move invincible only or does it ignore grabs as well?

Neo Zero

Did some testing myself

-The intagibility frames seem to only be active when the Art activates in the first few frames. The window on it is very tight. Anytime where Shulk was standing in the pose notably for a second I got hit. Seems to ignore grabs as well
-Less noteworthy/not that special, you can start Backslash and Air Slash one direction but have the move come out the other way. Say you input it to the left, he'll grab the Monado, but if you input right he'll turn around and do the move the other way.

Starfall11

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-1720-3560
Oh boy. I'm gonna have to put what Xenoblaze found in the OP. Alright alright

So far, I've used shield and lived up to 220%. Lol

Oh and I'm not sure about this but I think during Monado activation, Shulk's untouchable.... I gotta test this but this happened just once. I'll try it out

Edit: Confirmed. You're invulnerable while your activating. You need to trigger the activation animation

And @ FlareHabanero FlareHabanero thanks. I'll add your stuff when I'm using a better computer

Training mode stuff

- Monado activation animation renders you invincible during the animation
- You can switch monado arts even WHILE you're suffering from hitsun (Or while you're sent flying). Tested it on being whacked by a hammer with 1/4 speed on. I can't use attacks but I can switch arts
- Buster d-throw... You can catch opponents with f-tilt from d-throw from 0% then from 23%, use f-smash after d-throw. Needs to be double checked because I lack faith in myself >_>
- Forward inputting vision helps you pass by Robin's fire projectile
Just a few notes to add. Forward inputting Vision does help you pass through Robin's projectile. But you're left vulnerable afterwards (usually right in front of him), so you'll get thrown most of the time. And I wondered about that. You can switch Monado Arts during hitstun, but I don't think they actually activate until you're out of hitstun. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this to be the case.

Just a few notes to add. Forward inputting Vision does help you pass through Robin's projectile. But you're left vulnerable afterwards (usually right in front of him), so you'll get thrown most of the time. And I wondered about that. You can switch Monado Arts during hitstun, but I don't think they actually activate until you're out of hitstun. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this to be the case.
Yeah. It's kinda useless to counter Robin's fire projectile

I tried the activation out. You're right also. However, if you activate it earlier before you suffer hitsun, it will still activate while you're in hitsun but anyway, gonna try out messing with back slash to see if it does something funny and helpful

Last edited:

Starfall11

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-1720-3560
Back Slash is good for punishes and making reads on your opponent. It's a high risk move though. No doubt about that. I've used it to pseudo recover off the ledge. Not because I needed it to recover. But because my opponent was charging a forward smash, or charging a projectile (Robin, Greninja, Lucario, etc.).

Even then though, it's mostly used for surprise, since people seem to forget that you can use it in the air. People are getting smarter though, so I have to resort to traditional approaches like grabbing the ledge or air dodging aerials. It's easy to shieldgrab backslash or even shield and smash quickly since the endlag is awful.

I've seen some people talk about pivot canceling Back Slash. That sounds like a fantastic tactic with Speed Form to take advantage of hitting behind your opponent. But once people get used to it, it's a liability. Great strong move, just needs to be used carefully. In Smash, it can KO at 110% depending on character. Much sooner if hit from behind.

Last edited:
If you land with the lens of the monado with back slash, it does a lot of knockback and damage. Even at the front of the opponent. A bit complicated to word how to make this happen but basically, when the hitbox of back slash is landed while it's above--ish Shulk. I don't know. It's quite difficult to catch air borne players with the lens but that's the easiest attempt you'll have

Update incoming tomorrow really late. Just a minor one for the OP.

Last edited:

NT 3000

Style>Winning
NNID
NoiseTank3000
3DS FC
2578-3240-5015
I've read most of the info dump just kind of posting to say hi to everyone. What I've been doing a lot at low% is activate speed art get grabs and follow up. Speed is so good for roll reading too. Few different times where I dash at the person and they think I'm going to dash attack and I run past them and up smash and they roll right into it.

Loving Shulk's tilts so far but how do you guys differently use his f-tilt and d-tilt?

I use his f-tilt against humanoid enemies mostly because of the whole blind spot thing and I use it to deal damage mainly since it deals around 14%. I use his d-tilt for purely spacing (More used than f-tilt) but I don't mind its low damage that much. I also use it to hit smaller characters like Pikachu.

NT 3000

Style>Winning
NNID
NoiseTank3000
3DS FC
2578-3240-5015
Loving Shulk's tilts so far but how do you guys differently use his f-tilt and d-tilt?

I use his f-tilt against humanoid enemies mostly because of the whole blind spot thing and I use it to deal damage mainly since it deals around 14%. I use his d-tilt for purely spacing (More used than f-tilt) but I don't mind its low damage that much. I also use it to hit smaller characters like Pikachu.
OOS dwn tilt is great for spacing I do that a lot. Forward tilt I use for retreats or jab mix up. Nair to ftilt I like to use too. Shulks tilts in general are all very fast I love it.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I unlocked the Decisive Monado Art custom, but I'm questioning whether or not I should bother with calculations due to customs being often overlooked anyway.

So far, it seems that Speed has the same damage output as Vanilla and Buster... HOLY **** THE RAW POWER IS AMAZING!

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
Speed + Tilts = Love. I'm really enjoying him overall. I used him in a tournament and did extremely well. Only match up I had trouble with was Sheik. Shulk feels like combo bait to her. I made the mistake of going into Shield and well let's just say she put on the damage so fast.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Back Slash is good for punishes and making reads on your opponent. It's a high risk move though. No doubt about that. I've used it to pseudo recover off the ledge. Not because I needed it to recover. But because my opponent was charging a forward smash, or charging a projectile (Robin, Greninja, Lucario, etc.).

Even then though, it's mostly used for surprise, since people seem to forget that you can use it in the air. People are getting smarter though, so I have to resort to traditional approaches like grabbing the ledge or air dodging aerials. It's easy to shieldgrab backslash or even shield and smash quickly since the endlag is awful.

I've seen some people talk about pivot canceling Back Slash. That sounds like a fantastic tactic with Speed Form to take advantage of hitting behind your opponent. But once people get used to it, it's a liability. Great strong move, just needs to be used carefully. In Smash, it can KO at 110% depending on character. Much sooner if hit from behind.
Oh man. . .yeah I was gonna say. Using Back Slash for that kind of scenario against Robin or Lucario is asking to be Shield+grabbed. Lucario charging Aura Sphere was a tactic used to bait you & make you react. We should never use Back Slash against Lucario AuraSphereCharging. Even his Double Team would proc off Back Slash & we'd be eating a sliding hit from Lucario, & AuraBoost% including Rage makes that counter attack basically as scary as Shulk's Forward Vision with Smash & Rage intact. I see what you mean about it though.

Does anyone happen to know if a WaveBounced Back Slash is useful? Because @ Neo Zero Neo Zero 's less noteworthy info about Back Slash able to change it's animation in mid-attack actually sounds like a fairly decent mind-game & would definitely throw off some people that aren't aware of Back Slash's animations.
I unlocked the Decisive Monado Art custom, but I'm questioning whether or not I should bother with calculations due to customs being often overlooked anyway.

So far, it seems that Speed has the same damage output as Vanilla and Buster... HOLY **** THE RAW POWER IS AMAZING!
. . .DMArt Speed can do that? I love this game!
If DMASp is doing that, then it could be a hunch that a little bit of testing wouldn't hurt. I've been very curious about Decisive Monado Arts because it's viability for just longer lasting seconds & not switching it off, isn't that huge of a deal when it compares to Extreme Monado Arts.
Speed + Tilts = Love. I'm really enjoying him overall. I used him in a tournament and did extremely well. Only match up I had trouble with was Sheik. Shulk feels like combo bait to her. I made the mistake of going into Shield and well let's just say she put on the damage so fast.
Oddly enough I watched a Shulk use Smash at the start of a match versus Sheik & the Smash Art prevented Sheik from combo'ing the Shulk with Ftilts or Dthrow > Fairs. It makes me believe Smash can be the anti-combo Art & it doesn't make Shulk take increased % damage either.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Does anyone happen to know if a WaveBounced Back Slash is useful? Because @ Neo Zero Neo Zero 's less noteworthy info about Back Slash able to change it's animation in mid-attack actually sounds like a fairly decent mind-game & would definitely throw off some people that aren't aware of Back Slash's animations.
I've found it to be a little better than using a plain, forward back slash. My best success with either has been if I'm properly spaced away from the enemy and hit them near the tip. Otherwise, it's usually a shield grab or something.

I'm curious about if Monado Jump increases the knockback you take along with the damage you take.

What's interesting about this is it seems they have separated damage and knockback in the coding. This makes me wonder if Monado Shield has the same knockback even though it has lower damage output. If so, this would make Shield a good option for when both you and the opponent has high damage.

If jump does not increase knockback taken then it is even more viable than I would have thought.

Maybe we should expand the table to include things like run speed, knockback dealt, jump height, and air maneuverability.
...Even if we have to do some guess work with the percentages

I'm up for testing these out with anyone if needed

Last edited:

Card

Smash Lord
I've found that Backslash is a great punish to :4robinm:Arcfire.

If you are standing at a distance away where Arcfire will land on you, on reaction to his (fairly obvious) wind-up you can simply short-hop and backslash right over it and punish Robin every time. It worked alarmingly well for me, where even if I started it too late, the spacing leads it to be relatively safe from shield-grabs.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
As much as I love when Back Slash is perfectly spaced to the point the tip of the Beam hits their shield mid-air or on ground landing, it can be punished if the opponent knows their OoS options. I find that scenario with Robin still risky.:ohwell:

Last edited:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
How do you get the version of the counter where Shulk attacks quicker? It's the one where he kind of just goes forward rather than stepping back and then jumping forward. In the Shulk trailer, it's the counter that is used when captain falcon uses falcon punch on shulk. I have had it happen to me a few times but I can't remember the circumstance. Was it that they hit my back...?

moderator proof.png

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
How do you get the version of the counter where Shulk attacks quicker? It's the one where he kind of just goes forward rather than stepping back and then jumping forward. In the Shulk trailer, it's the counter that is used when captain falcon uses falcon punch on shulk. I have had it happen to me a few times but I can't remember the circumstance. Was it that they hit my back...?
Press forward on the circle pad after your Vision procs. Like so:
:GCD::GCB: + :GCR:

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
Reflecting upon how I'm becoming more and more accustomed to switching Monado arts, I realize that Shulk may have a very powerful ability to control the overall momentum of the match through switching arts.

Shield and Buster are the clearest examples of this. Yes, they have their obvious intended uses (not dying and racking damage), but yesterday I noticed that I half of the time I was using Buster and Shield based on my current level of confidence, or momentum, in the match. When I feel that my opponent has me on the ropes, even if I'm not at critical %, I can activate shield to slow down the game. I can do likewise if I want to capitalize on my high momentum via Buster.

Shulk, it seems, might be a very good match for anyone who has problems with auto-piloting or momentum control. It's like a miniature brain refresh every time you switch arts, which I find helps me engage my mind and react to my opponent in terms of the trajectory of the overall match.

Last edited:
It's so hilarious.

How you can just jump against the lower parts of the stage, sliding upwards while using fair or nair

How you can SHFF (Timed correctly) nair repeatedly like a maniac

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Anyone try to see how early they can KO with Smash offstage? Nair seems to be a great edgeguard,
though I've only done it to CPUs. Jump could be great for super low or high edgeguards maybe?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I'm curious as to what a good secondary for Shulk would be.

From my experiences I have a habit of using Greninja and the angels.

link2702

Smash Champion
rosaluma is quickly becoming my most hated matchup...it feels like there Is very little I can do against a smart rosaluma. they outspace us, can counterattack/punish us easily with the luma or rosalina if we hit one of em. a smart one won't use luma shot till its safe, so using vision isn't gonna help much, and they can also combo the hel out of us thanks to their unique double team setup. None of the monado arts really seem to give us a buff that works well, and shulk's fairly laggy startup on a lot of moves makes it hard to find a decent safe opening on em.

IDK why I am finding the rosaluma's who are actually really serious tournament players so much in for glory -_-; it throws me off after facing a lot of easy players in for glory.

Starfall11

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-1720-3560
I've finally begun mastering Jump in gimping players off-stage and edge guarding with Nair and Fair. As a result, I find it infinitely more useful then Speed. Now, I want to go back and work on my pivot grabs with Speed.

Anyways, I find Jump to be extremely useful in difficult Matchups. For example, I've beaten some pretty good Sheiks and DHD's by alternating between Buster and Jump. I've learned that you can SH Nair or even full hop Nair, then fastfall after inputting the Nair. This creates a sweeping motion in front of Shulk that cancels out any projectiles while covering a huge radius of space. As a plus, it combos into Dtilt and Jab for high damage. (Before, I was fastfalling before inputting Nair which results in Nair only sweeping about half of its full portion. So FF after Nair is much more useful IMO.)

Anyways, I would really like to know what people use to secure KOs when someone is above 100%. I try to gimp with Fair, or go into Smash and use a well-timed vision. But I find these methods to be somewhat inconsistent. I can never find an appropriate time to punish with Ftilt or FSmash. So any tips on securing KOs would help me immensely in my Shulk game.

I could really use the advice because I feel my only reliable method of KOing an opponent is gimping them offstage. And for characters with great horizontal recovery, it just doesn't work.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I can FINALLY come back to my Shulk peeps and talk about him competitively. The wonders of having a wee bit of free time.

Anyway, when I'm online, I usually start with Speed or Buster. It works in most cases for me. I've played Bowsers online. Granted, he's faster, but if you read some of his attacks and movement, he's easy to control with Speed as far my experiences are concerned. I agree with a lot of the analysis on the front page though. I saw all of that and shed a manly tear...sniffle. great job to @ Berserker. Berserker. @ Hokori Hokori

Pepto

Smash Cadet
There are a lot of comments so sorry if this had already been said, but the character/art matchup said to go Shield against Ganondorf, and that's absolutely wrong. Ganon is a surprisingly hard matchup if you're not careful, and he's so strong that he completely ignores Shield Art anyway (one killed me with a forward smash sending me to the opposite side of the stage when I had shield art and only 70%, yes, I vectored), and it only makes it easier for him to kill you. You have to pull a Brawl Sonic, Speed Art, hit and run, rack up some damage, and gimp if you can. Buster Art is the only other viable art, but it's mostly useful for really painful counters (powerful vision with Buster Art did 69% against Warlock Punch and killed Ganon at 32%). But other than Jump only when you need help recovering, Speed is the only truly useful Art, and I spend a good amount of time Vanilla Shulk as well.

NT 3000

Style>Winning
NNID
NoiseTank3000
3DS FC
2578-3240-5015
rosaluma is quickly becoming my most hated matchup...it feels like there Is very little I can do against a smart rosaluma. they outspace us, can counterattack/punish us easily with the luma or rosalina if we hit one of em. a smart one won't use luma shot till its safe, so using vision isn't gonna help much, and they can also combo the hel out of us thanks to their unique double team setup. None of the monado arts really seem to give us a buff that works well, and shulk's fairly laggy startup on a lot of moves makes it hard to find a decent safe opening on em.

IDK why I am finding the rosaluma's who are actually really serious tournament players so much in for glory -_-; it throws me off after facing a lot of easy players in for glory.

Just posted a similar thing on the ike boards talking about rosa match up. Luma has great priority and speed but what shulk has against them is nair. I out space Luma and rosa all day with nair. Don't bother jabbing if luma is close by though she will just out prioritize you.

I can FINALLY come back to my Shulk peeps and talk about him competitively. The wonders of having a wee bit of free time.

Anyway, when I'm online, I usually start with Speed or Buster. It works in most cases for me. I've played Bowsers online. Granted, he's faster, but if you read some of his attacks and movement, he's easy to control with Speed as far my experiences are concerned. I agree with a lot of the analysis on the front page though. I saw all of that and shed a manly tear...sniffle. great job to @ Berserker. Berserker. @ Hokori Hokori
I as well start with speed mostly good for low% grab mix ups and combos. Buster I'll usually use once Speed runs out rack up some damage with spaced aerials. Then switch to smash for the kill.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
After finally getting the time to play more Smash, I'm really in love with N-Air especially. SHFF N-Air into grabs or D-Tilts (will be experimenting with more) have also been working pretty well for me.

N-Air has wonderful applications. Retreating N-Air (spacing + it's pretty damn safe), anti-air N-Air (watch how you approach Shulk, I swear he has godlike anti-air moves, not just N-Air :p), using N-Air as a baiting tool due to its low cooldown...yuss

I have fun with N-Air like I have fun at a fair. Learn to care for N-Air like you care for your hair <3

Monado speed is your best bet in this match up. It helps you move around the stage and your ground game is waaaay better despite the damage debuff. The extra mobility also helps you get out of sticky situations

Luma's the real deal in the match up. You're best bet is to kill off Luma by (lol) vision countering forward its whatever it does and hope that it goes off stage. If not, treat luma like another character on stage and repeatedly wail on it, take advantage of your range, space your attacks. I suggest that you're better off using SHFF n-air to space since it seems like Shulk's ground attacks miss half the time. Why n-air? It's because it's your only aerial that has no landing lag unless you cancel the landing lag with monado activation. Why worry about landing lag? Because Rosalina's there and she can interrupt whatever you're doing. Plus, n-air covers a good area around Shulk. This is all safe to do if you're not between Rosa and Luma.

As for Rosalina, some things to note. Her attacks have high priority and they're fairly quick. Also, her aerial game is great and to add to that, her mobility in the air is also solid. Going "all out on her" is a lot trickier than it sounds. She's still pretty decent as a stand alone fighter. Then again, just do what you'd usually do. Space, grab, n-air, jab, counter. Watch out for her dash attack. I actually never tried this tactic but try vision countering her dash attack. You have 10 seconds to wreck. Honestly, I usually just switch to buster once Luma's gone because I want to make the most out of it. Then again, it's purely personal preference for me.

Vision in this match up is a bit iffy but it has its uses against Luma and Rosalina. It's not useful if you're trying to avoid being juggled because another hit can interrupt vision's dash animation and both Rosa and Luma are dealing a hit so... Yeah, there's that. The only time you use vision is against Luma's anything ,and Rosalina's dash attack or smash attacks. You're probably better off using forward vision counter since it has more knockback and it puts you in a less-dangerous position

It feels as if you're watching out for 2 fighters. NEVER stay between Luma and Rosalina or try not to remain between them often. This is why speed is very important here other than

Don't be discouraged. The match up isn't unwinnable by all means. I also thought this match up was one sided until I was told that speed was actually a thing. Still, coming in this match up, know that this is going to be an annoying one with a lot of things to look out for. If you're very careful in the match up and if you can space your attacks right (C-stick plox), it probably won't be as scary

tl;dr: polka-polkie-poker-poke

EY. Scoliosis! What's up!?

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Shulk player here and I have some interesting information on Vision.

I noticed this while playing as Dr. Mario. (there was no lag in the fight)

Whenever someone uses a dash attack that progresses their distance like: Dr. Mario's slide, then Shulk's Vision will not hit.

Dash attacks that carries the user's distance can avoid a Vision punishment.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
There are a lot of comments so sorry if this had already been said, but the character/art matchup said to go Shield against Ganondorf, and that's absolutely wrong. Ganon is a surprisingly hard matchup if you're not careful, and he's so strong that he completely ignores Shield Art anyway (one killed me with a forward smash sending me to the opposite side of the stage when I had shield art and only 70%, yes, I vectored), and it only makes it easier for him to kill you. You have to pull a Brawl Sonic, Speed Art, hit and run, rack up some damage, and gimp if you can. Buster Art is the only other viable art, but it's mostly useful for really painful counters (powerful vision with Buster Art did 69% against Warlock Punch and killed Ganon at 32%). But other than Jump only when you need help recovering, Speed is the only truly useful Art, and I spend a good amount of time Vanilla Shulk as well.
This would pertain to me entirely. I created it out of boredom & thought initially half of it's input was garbage because it was made in September without myself personally playing the game so I know now most of it is basically wrong. The former thought that came to mind was to reduce his % damage output & reduce the KB dealt to us to trade more easily with Ganon, including to tech his Flame Chokes preventing wake-up reads instead making it a tech chase. You dying at 70% at the opposite side of the stage in Shield mode sounds ridiculous, because Shulk with Shield on is heavier than Bowser by +18 weight which is a lot. Shulk is already a mid-heavy character by himself so I'd believe regular Shulk dying, but Shield Shulk dying at 70% is impossible, especially if it's a launch stage-wide from one side to the other screen. If he really did KO you it would of had to of been a Fully Charged Fsmash, & if you got hit by that then there's not much to say.

I like going with Speed versus characters like Ganon anyway, hit-and-run tactic is stressing especially for Ganon.
Also welcome back @ Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones
Shulk player here and I have some interesting information on Vision.

I noticed this while playing as Dr. Mario. (there was no lag in the fight)

Whenever someone uses a dash attack that progresses their distance like: Dr. Mario's slide, then Shulk's Vision will not hit.

Dash attacks that carries the user's distance can avoid a Vision punishment.
Interesting, how close was Dr.Mario when parrying with Vision?

EDIT: iirc, Forwarded VIsion has a hit-box behind Shulk when countering so perhaps the Forward Vision would be better off used for Dash Attacks that carry over distance to avoid the regular Vision, good stuff Oracle.

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I really, REALLY want to play Shulk, but i can't help but feel as though the 3DS is a terrible controller for him. Things like SHFF Nairs, retreating Nairs, and the Side/Up special problems prevent him from shining in my eyes. I'm going to play him casually until the Wii U version launches and then i'll be mastering him with a better controller. Expect to see me back here in less than 2 months.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Interesting, how close was Dr.Mario when parrying with Vision?

EDIT: iirc, Forwarded VIsion has a hit-box behind Shulk when countering so perhaps the Forward Vision would be better off used for Dash Attacks that carry over distance to avoid the regular Vision, good stuff Oracle.
He was about, say two steps away from the circle in the middle of Battlefield with Shulk two steps the other way.

Starfall11

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-1720-3560
I really, REALLY want to play Shulk, but i can't help but feel as though the 3DS is a terrible controller for him. Things like SHFF Nairs, retreating Nairs, and the Side/Up special problems prevent him from shining in my eyes. I'm going to play him casually until the Wii U version launches and then i'll be mastering him with a better controller. Expect to see me back here in less than 2 months.
Personally, I don't see why people are having such a difficulty playing on the 3DS. Granted I do have the XL version, so that may have something to do with it. SH Nairs into FF is extremely easy for me, I abuse it all the time. I occasionally get Backslash instead of OoS Air Slash, but that's me inputting it wrong.

As long as you're precise and careful, you can minimize the amount of errors made on the 3DS. I have no idea how people have broken their circle pads.

The hardest thing for me is tracking characters' movements on stages where the background dynamically changes, it makes my head spin. But when I focus a lot, I don't have as many issues. I'll be getting the WiiU version too if I manage to buy a WiiU soon, but I think the 3DS version is a brilliant adaptation of smash, especially for handheld.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
He was about, say two steps away from the circle in the middle of Battlefield with Shulk two steps the other way.
Hmm. . .I'd like to see that.
*Insert Missourian quote here*
I'm from Missouri Show me:shades:
The only issue I have with that is Shulk's Vision counter makes him take a step back & then proceeds to taking a big leap forward slashing. Unless you mean Shulk already took the step backward creating the distance you were talking about?

Last edited:
Top Bottom