• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

This was going to be about anime/manga...

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
Link to original post: [drupal=3053]This was going to be about anime/manga...[/drupal]

...but a bunch of other things made me realize how I generally have problems keeping up with other stuff.

Seriously though, let's start with the anime/manga part for a bit:

HOW DO YOU GUYS KEEP UP WITH'EM?

My two friends are kind of big into the anime/manga stuff. More like one of them is into manga, the other... can only get his dosage in anime form. And yes, you can read that as me only having two friends.

One of them (the manga reader) started me on Naruto for a bit. After a year or so, I got more caught up in school/videogames that I couldn't keep up with that, and my friend kinda quit trying to discuss Naruto with me even though he's still reading it.

But then I managed to stick the two of them in the same room and... well, they started talking about every other anime/manga (I'm sorry, but is there a universal word for this?) they knew of. And had I not been so casual about it, I probably would've fallen out of my chair. So yeah, I can't keep up with all that. And I have sadness at it.

The funny thing is, I consider myself a Final Fantasy fan. Yet there's a catch (or five) to this:

1. I haven't played everything, not even in the main series. Only 1 through 7, and even then I'm not sure I've played the "definitive" versions of those. Most of my experience has been through GBA/DS ports. My manga-reading friend, also an FF fan, has/had been willing to expose me to 7-12, so that's where 7 comes in.

2. If you asked me ANYTHING about what I HAVE played, there's probably a 90% chance I won't be able to give you an answer. Nothing really sticks. It doesn't help my confidence that through playing 7 and part of 8 I noticed several times that I got lost on their plot details.

So... now I'm worrying about how easily I forget things. Even people's names. If you introduced yourself to me and came back a week later, I most likely wouldn't remember your name. And's not that I'm even TRYING to forget, honestly.

I feel like I'm going nuts. It's like I perfectly fit that whole "some people are like slinkies; totally useless but fun to push off the stairs" thing. Er... however that quote goes. I don't really have anything going for me.

Except for maybe the fact that I'll be alive to see people call the waaaaaaaaaaaahmbulance on this blog.

Insetick

Smash Apprentice
I don't watch anime, but I agree with what you said about Final Fantasy.
I've tried playing FF on GBA, but I didn't like it. I think most people like FF for its deep plot. I found this funny b/c the plot ate my brain in ten minutes. I remember the game started with the main characters in robot suits. I said "wtf what's going on" for a while... fought a giant crayfish, I think, then gave up.

This situation occurs often. Everyone has friends that are fans of something and took the time to understand it, whether it's a game like FF or a tv series like Lost or 24. I asked a friend about Lost, and she said something about going back in time. Again, "wtf is going on."

I definitely cannot handle long plotlines. I've never really engulfed myself into a game or tv series, though. I watch shows like Psych, Law and Order SVU, and NCIS, where the characters are basically static. This may be due to my lifestyle: I rarely have time to watch tv or play slow, plot-intense games. oh well :ohwell:

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
I don't watch anime, but I agree with what you said about Final Fantasy.
I've tried playing FF on GBA, but I didn't like it. I think most people like FF for its deep plot. I found this funny b/c the plot ate my brain in ten minutes. I remember the game started with the main characters in robot suits. I said "wtf what's going on" for a while... fought a giant crayfish, I think, then gave up.
Final Fantasy 6?

*waits for someone to smash my head in because there's some OTHER FF that starts this way that's not 6*

This situation occurs often. Everyone has friends that are fans of something and took the time to understand it, whether it's a game like FF or a tv series like Lost or 24. I asked a friend about Lost, and she said something about going back in time. Again, "wtf is going on."
Yeah, I kinda understand the whole "friends can be different" thing, it's just a bit painful to know that, well... your friendship(s) is/are missing a few links. At least that's the way it is for me.

I definitely cannot handle long plotlines. I've never really engulfed myself into a game or tv series, though. I watch shows like Psych, Law and Order SVU, and NCIS, where the characters are basically static. This may be due to my lifestyle: I rarely have time to watch tv or play slow, plot-intense games. oh well :ohwell:
I think I've got a wrong combination of traits or something. I can definitely put up with the FF series, but I don't exactly have a brain that can retain too much.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
What usually keeps me interested in a series and what forces me to remember essential plot lines would be the memorable characters and storytelling quality. Clannad for example is a deeply emotional "slice of life" series that really pulls at your heart strings. I honestly can't say that I kept a dry eye for half of the entire series (which was 44 episodes, excluding the OVAs).

My personal bias aside, Rozen Maiden had really good character development along with characters that would make you want to continue watching the series. Suiseiseki, the "girl" currently depicted in my avatar, is outwardly a bitter and sadistic girl who derives pleasure out of seeing others in pain, namely Hina Ichigo. On the inside, she's a soft-hearted and passionate girl who deeply cares about her medium, Jun.

Once you find a plot line that you're truly passionate about, you'll start remembering everything about that particular subject.

tl;dr - Baww with me while we watch Clannad together.

REL38

Smash Lord
My personal bias aside, Rozen Maiden had really good character development along with characters that would make you want to continue watching the series. Suiseiseki, the "girl" currently depicted in my avatar, is outwardly a bitter and sadistic girl who derives pleasure out of seeing others in pain, namely Hina Ichigo. On the inside, she's a soft-hearted and passionate girl who deeply cares about her medium, Jun.

Once you find a plot line that you're truly passionate about, you'll start remembering everything about that particular subject.
Agrees x10

For me, the plot related a lot to this story I was writing a while back and I felt an even deeper sense of connection to Rozen Maiden because of that.

Watching/playing them again can obviously add to remembering things you've missed the first time around.
Chances are, you won't remember everything on the first go.

But then again, most people usually play/watch something again if they've particuarly enjoyed it the first time around.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
DID SOMEONE MENTION FINAL FANTASY VII?!

It's a terrible game.
Fix'd :bee:.
Sorry.....

I often find myself lost as to what's happening in books, games, films, and programmes. I like stuff to have a good plot, but I don't like it when it makes no sense or is just over the top ridiculous when it is trying to take itself seriously, The Matrix being a key example of this. I've only played a few Final Fantasy games, but most of those I have played where easy to understand, except VII, but that said I enjoyed FFX-2's plot, as ridiculous as it was, but that was because it took a more lighthearted approach, and didn't take itself serioiusly.

And mangas have too many chapters.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
DID SOMEONE MENTION FINAL FANTASY VI?!

It's a good game.
This.

Also, I think you'll have a lot more success keeping up with anime and manga if you just go through ones that are already completed. I'd recommend looking into something like Monster or Death Note though, rather than Naruto, because unlike Naruto, they're actually worth investing time into (especially Monster, but it's really long, albeit already completed).

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
DID SOMEONE MENTION FINAL FANTASY VI?!

It's a good game.
I should've seen this coming. XD

Fix'd :bee:.
Sorry.....
Ok, I'll admit, this one surprised me.

Seriously though, I find myself just as likely to forget necessary details in either. Moreso 7 than 6, simply because I actually HAVE 6 and... well, honestly, my experience with 7 wasn't just amazing. In case you couldn't tell, I agree with both sentiments.
Although I wouldn't call 7 "terrible", IMO.

I often find myself lost as to what's happening in books, games, films, and programmes. I like stuff to have a good plot, but I don't like it when it makes no sense or is just over the top ridiculous when it is trying to take itself seriously, The Matrix being a key example of this. I've only played a few Final Fantasy games, but most of those I have played where easy to understand, except VII, but that said I enjoyed FFX-2's plot, as ridiculous as it was, but that was because it took a more lighthearted approach, and didn't take itself serioiusly.

And mangas have too many chapters.
So... in other words what I'm getting from everyone so far is that this really shouldn't be attributed so much to my ability (or lack thereof) to memorize things as much as the quality of the storytelling?

IF that's the case... I feel kinda better. I guess if worst comes to worst I can always search up a random Let's Play of an FF game just to jog my memory.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
So... in other words what I'm getting from everyone so far is that this really shouldn't be attributed so much to my ability (or lack thereof) to memorize things as much as the quality of the storytelling?

IF that's the case... I feel kinda better. I guess if worst comes to worst I can always search up a random Let's Play of an FF game just to jog my memory.
That's what I'd say it was, also mixed with the fact that a lot of games don't give you any form of recap as to what you have done and what needs to be done, so if you haven't played for a while there'll be no way to get up to speed again without reading walkthroughs or watching Let's Play videos. Take OoT for example- I didn't play this for months, and forgot entirely what my next thing to do was, and Navi and Saria only told me this one phrase all the time which was no help whatsoever, so I had to look at a walkthrough to carry on.

However I'm not sure how the quality of story telling affects your ability to remember people's names :laugh:.

Pelikinesis

Smash Journeyman
Don't try to force your own interest. There's nothing wrong with trying to open up to new things and accommodate your friends' interests, but too much of that takes time away from your own interests, which are important.

Besides, why not introduce something YOU like to them and make them keep up with it as well?

Also, Final Fantasy VI is a great game. Why? Ultros, that's why.

Zodiac

Smash Master
I used watch anime like it was food, and I still do, just not as much, like if I dont have time for it I wont, I'll get a series and then watch like one episode a night before I go to bed or if I find myself with a random, half hour, manga is a bit different, usually I only read that when I have a big chunk of time to catch up.

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
That's what I'd say it was, also mixed with the fact that a lot of games don't give you any form of recap as to what you have done and what needs to be done, so if you haven't played for a while there'll be no way to get up to speed again without reading walkthroughs or watching Let's Play videos. Take OoT for example- I didn't play this for months, and forgot entirely what my next thing to do was, and Navi and Saria only told me this one phrase all the time which was no help whatsoever, so I had to look at a walkthrough to carry on.

However I'm not sure how the quality of story telling affects your ability to remember people's names :laugh:.
Yeah, I have a feeling that short-term memory thing with names is a totally different monster. Regardless, I threw it in because it somehow ended up being the next thing on my mind as I was writing this.

Don't try to force your own interest. There's nothing wrong with trying to open up to new things and accommodate your friends' interests, but too much of that takes time away from your own interests, which are important.

Besides, why not introduce something YOU like to them and make them keep up with it as well?

Also, Final Fantasy VI is a great game. Why? Ultros, that's why.
I've tried to do that somewhat. Just like the anime/manga thing not sticking with me, it doesn't really stick with them.

Actually, I lied. My anime-watching friend didn't really have an interest in gaming before. At least not to the level my other friend and I take it. Now he's a bit more involved. Me being one-dimensional as far as interests go doesn't leave a lot of room for me to introduce stuff, unfortunately.

Top Bottom