• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on the 3DS version getting released before the Wii U one?

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
This is a very good point that I never even considered.

I've noticed there's already a bit of hostility between the 3DS/Wii U crowd, and this news is only going to complicate the issue further.

Personally I never considered playing competitively on the 3DS version so it won't be an issue for me.
I agree with this. I'm taking the Wii U version far more seriously. I like to see the 3DS version as an opportunity to get acquainted with the new movesets and physics before eventually transitioning onto the Wii U. Obviously, the interim is going to be a confusing period for competitive play, but I have high hopes that all will be well in the end. We need to keep in mind that the potential for splitting the community is still present, however. Luckily, I don't think the split will be nearly as bad as the Melee-Brawl one.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Could easily see an August release for the 3DS version and a November release for the Wii U version.

As a Wii U user I'm just hoping for some exclusive modes and whatnot like the 3DS got.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Here's one to cheer up wii u user who don't have a 3ds

If the wii u version comes out later woulden't that mean the wii u version will feature more features than the 3ds version​

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
As far as hype is concerned, I think having the site cease updates after 3DS release and then doing a Smash Wii U direct highlighting any and all Wii U exclusive smash content will easily fuel the necessary flames for the Wii U release. People will already be holding out for it, and people who are content to only buy the 3DS version probably don't have a Wii U and probably would never buy the Wii U version in the first place. People who were planning on only buying the Wii U version might have now been convinced to buy both. And people who were planning on buying both will buy both.

Seriously, I don't see the problem.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
there is no mention of an IR or streetpass or whatever local mode at all thus far so i really can't imagine how tournament play for 3ds owners would work at all. it makes no sense to me to drive up to a local venue to sit in a chair across from someone and play an online match that i could have played at home that there is nigh way of recording/streaming. there is no hype.
3ds owners will be stuck playing wifi tournaments and for a fighting game that's never going to have a big community behind it, especially after the big console version comes out. i'm gonna buy the 3ds version anyway and im gonna love it tbh but i really can't see any way that it would work.

wii u version is gonna be the one you see streamed everywhere, played up on the big screen, the one people will be huddled around, the one that will have people on the edge of their seat at apex 2015.
3ds version is the one you play alone at work on your lunch break over wifi against a random to kill some time.
quoting bc it got lost at the end of the last page and i think this is a good post

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
quoting bc it got lost at the end of the last page and i think this is a good post
It is a good post, but there are quite a few 3DS supporters who seem hell bent on establishing a competitive 3DS scene.

In terms of how they'll actually accomplish this? I have no idea.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Can't we be a little more optimistic here?
We haven't even touched the game for heaven's sake. Let alone try tournaments.

I'd say wait before calling it quits.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Can't we be a little more optimistic here?
We haven't even touched the game for heaven's sake. Let alone try tournaments.

I'd say wait before calling it quits.
I'm all for it but literally how would you do that? What would make you want to go to a tournament where you play online matches against everyone else?

Simensis

Smash Apprentice
I'm guessing that the Wii U version will have one major difference that will make peolple buy that one. Obviously it won't be a character, but something different gameplay-wise.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I can only assume that they want to launch the WiiU version for the holidays to get maximum casual exposure, and are hoping that the summer 3DS launch will build hype for the definitive version.

Could go either way, really, although the inclusion of a neat exclusive mode on the 3DS and not the WiiU feels like a serious mistake.

MrBond

Smash Cadet
The good news for me:
+ I'll have a new 3DS game to play.
+ I'll have a portable 3DS Smash Bros game to play to keep me busy until the Wii U version
+ I'm graduating high school, so I'll get a 3 month summer break (and not 2 months) since I'll be going to college...and can play this if it releases somewhere between June 12 - September 22
+ I'll be able to know the whole roster once I unlock all of the characters in the summer 3DS version.
+ I get to play Smash on my aqua blue ambassador 3DS or my Zelda 3DS XL
+ I still have to play A Link Between Worlds
+ Start out with the lower graphic version, then upgrade to the 1080p Wii U version later on

THE BAD NEWS for me:
- The magic of playing a new console Smash game for the first time will be gone (unless I don't buy the 3DS one...which is impossible)
- I won't get to enjoy Smash4 on Wii U during summer, like many people probably did with Brawl in 2008
- Have to get a few months into my first year of college, which means I most likely won't be able to play it until my 2 week xmas break (California is shortening the UC schools' xmas break from 3 weeks to 2 weeks)
- I'll know all of the characters by then from the 3DS one (unless I stay off the internet for 4-6 months...not possible) and the magic behind discovering secret characters that weren't revealed will be gone.
- The few friends I have that play Smash don't have a Wii U, only a 3DS - can't play Smash on Wii U with them [ONLINE] unless they buy the $250-300 machine

Just my position on 3DS coming before Wii U

Con: I wish that Nintendo would release the Wii U version first and in the summer. First and foremost, a lot of SmashBros fans are probably in the older age group (16+, 18+ whatever) which means that if the Wii U version was released in summer, more people would be able to play it for a longer time span, since students are on break in the summer...except those who have jobs and/or summer classes. Wouldn't more miiverse/online activity in the summer be a good thing?

Neutral: If Nintendo is trying to rake in more of the younger audience for Smash, a Wii U summer release would mean more schoolkids playing the game during their summer break. However, a lot of kids probably have 3DS's and the same thing could happen...so that could go both ways.

Pro: Many college students, people with jobs, or busy Smash fans might be strapped for time. That could be a reason why the 3DS version comes first, so these people could flip open their 3DS and play Smash then quickly close it and do something else.

Neutral: A winter release around Black Friday with a re hyped Smash could be feasible to drive in sales...but the 3DS version might steer people away...see next point below

Con: [A more personal thought] : Because of the name, Wii U, I feel that many people do not even know that it is a new system. Some people might say that others think that it's just an addon for the wii. This goes back to the young/casual crowd; if the parents buying their kids the 3DS version first see the game comes out on the Wii U, they might have to buy the system if they don't have it, or refuse to buy it since they'll think it's just the same thing they just bought for the 3DS. Unless youngsters persuade their parents that the Wii U version is vastly different, this could CAUSE A THREAT TO THE ALREADY POOR WII U SALES.

TLDR: A lot of younger fans, or students are typically off for break in the Summer. The Wii U version should have been slated for Summer since more people would have the time to buy it and play it...summer breaks usually last at least 1-3 months (depends on what crowd you're in). The older student/employed crowd will be busy in august/september when people go back to school, so a 3DS version first might allow us busy folk to get our Smash fixes quickly, but with I consider to be the inferior version first, before the real deal arrives in Winter.

Last edited:

UnownLegend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
UnownLegend
smash on the 3ds shouldn't hurt wii u

because how often do you guys play local multiplayer on 3ds? i rarely do. in fact i know hardly anybody who owns a 3ds that i could regularly play the game with (only my cousin) while you will be able to play the game online that is hardly what makes smash so magical

to get the optimal experience you will have to play the wii u version. that local multiplayer has been, and will continue to be, the main draw of smash.

besides if 3ds has a unique game mode i'm sure the wii u will get one too. it will probably be even more epic

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
Well I want to know the roster ASAP so I'm happy. I didn't except to know all the characters too November.

I'm getting both versions anyway. And thankfully the Wii U version will have more content this way.

R0Y

Smash Master
Smash 3DS was clearly designed for a quick buck....and of course it'll hurt Wii U sales. "It's the same game" people will come out of the woodworks.

Last edited:

Pékaßlu

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0147-0376-7641
Huzzah i can play 3ds smash while im working my summer job saving for a wiiu.

Kokusho

Smash Apprentice
If it wasn't for the 3DS, the game for Wii U would not have the same budget. Sales on 3DS, I'm guessing, are expected to be enormous, but thoses on the Wii U are pretty much poised to be average at best because there is so few Wii U.
In a word, the 3DS version will most likely pay for the developpement of the Wii U version.
Also having a the 3DS game out 5 month early is great news for the Wii U version. Feedbacks provided will make il even better, and won't crash nintendo servers.

It seems like only non 3DS owner are upset by this news, the 3DS is actually an awesome gaming system and I'm thrilled to get a AAA game like SSB on it.

MaverickZ

Smash Cadet
We still don't know how the connection between the two games will work. Honestly if Nintendo does it well, the 3DS version could become an incentive to buy the Wii U one.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I guess maybe if people buy the 3DS version they might want to buy the Wii U version when it comes out.

xAxLegitxLegendx

Smash Rookie
Not sure if anyone thought of this, but the 3DS has been doing very well for Nintendo in terms of games and online store (DLC and Games). I'm just saying, that with the 3DS version coming out first it will reacher a wider audience because more people have a 3DS. That's not to say the full roster will be done by then, because like Fire Emblem DLC put in way more past characters, there is a chance they could be testing the waters and put in more characters in the game with DLC and test it first on 3DS so that when the Wii U version comes out the DLC characters are already in the Wii U version. I don't think it's likely, but it's very possible.

Last edited:

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
I'm glad because now I don't have to buy a Wii U! In all seriousness, I like the 3DS version better. The stages look more interesting in my opinion, and there's also Smash Run, which looks great, and of course online mode, so what's not to love. I also like how all the characters in the stages look like they have leaped directly out of their own games and have come to join the party.

RODO

Smash Ace
I feel like a lot of the casual players will have had their fix already before the Wii U version comes out and won't care as much. Competitive players will get it for sure though.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I'm all for it but literally how would you do that? What would make you want to go to a tournament where you play online matches against everyone else?
Sorry for the late response. It was late over here.

Simple.
The exact same reason why people go out of their way to play any Smash game.
To play Smash with others. To be the best.

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
It is odd. I wonder what the reason is. Maybe the WiiU version has more unique features that require more time or maybe they just decided to focus on the 3DS version to get it out faster.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I had originally intended to ignore the 3DS version, but given the recent developments and knowing the fact that it will be released before the Wii U version, I might buy it just to get a leg up on the competition and get a feel for what the movesets are like for characters. That is assuming Sakurai doesn't make any development or balance changes to the cast in between game releases.

Tweezer Salad

Smash Apprentice
there goes trying to not spoil the unlockable characters for myself, unless I stay off the web for a few months.

seeing as I don't own a 3ds and don't plan on buying one.

Last edited:

katastrophic

Smash Cadet
NNID
katastrophic
3DS FC
3308-4726-7643
Local connection, although not mentioned, is definitely in. What would be the benefit of not including it, when literally every other online 3DS game has it? And streaming probably won't be an issue either - how else have pokemon fans been running X / Y tournaments?

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
From a fan perspective / Wii U owner: At first I was rather bewildered by it. Especially since the Wii U version isn't coming out 1 month later, not 2, but potentially 3+? Yikes, and the Wii U probably needs it more. It will truly be a bummer that I'll be seeing the roster and gameplay, but won't play it until at least 3+ months later... Luckily, the positive thing I can take from the mess is that Mario Kart 8 will surely keep me busy for quite sometime anyway.

From a business perspective: Look, I really despise what they've done, but it makes sense as well. Mario Kart 8 will be releasing on May 30th. MK8 has been steadily hyped for quite sometime now and will, in itself, pull consoles off the dusty shelves; this is a fact. Next we will be seeing Sm4sh 3DS a few months from then, raking in EASY and fast cash from an admittedly more popular and cheaper system on a massively hyped title (especially once E3 hits). A few months later, possibly in November-ish, we'll hopefully be seeing Sm4sh Wii U come out. It will probably be bundled up with Wii Us, as will Mario Kart 8, and will probably pull more consoles off the shelves. There is a notable spread in the releases here, and this is for the best interest of Nintendo to make money. Releasing both Sm4sh Wii U and Mario Kart 8 so close would have likely hurt in the long run since there may not be a notable release in the winter of 2014. That being said, I know multiple people who will have no problem rushing to the local Wal-Mart in late-May to prepare for Mario Kart 8, so perhaps the notion of having both Sm4sh version close wouldn't cause problems, either.

Essentially, Nintendo is clearly banking on the notion to milk everything they possibly can out of Mario Kart 8, then milk everything out of Sm4sh 3DS, and then bundle up Sm4sh Wii U for the Holidays for optimum sales. In the long run, I do believe that the Wii U version will certainly take more time in general to develop, and when November rolls around and Sm4sh Wii U does come out, I think we're all going to see which is the better game, and will probably be, the one that the competitive scene will choose to flock to; I firmly believe the Wii U version will be of better quality as well. We will be seeing many people buy both versions, and Nintendo knows this; it's all part of business.

Last edited:

juddy96

Smash Lord
Great business move. Anybody who was going to buy the Wii U version is still going to buy the Wii U version. And now there is incentive to buy the 3DS version. No need to put SSB4WU in the same quarter as MK8 either. They will make tons of money from the 3DS version too. I don't know why so many people diss the 3DS. It's a cheaper system, and it's as visually impressive as you can get on a handheld.

Oh, and I only have a 3DS. That helps.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
With all the mixed feelings about the release dates, I feel so conflicted with how I feel about the matter.

What I do know is that with Mario Kart 8 coming out in another month or so, that should keep Wii U owners busy until Smash Wii U is out.

As for Smash 3DS, being released during the summer can at least give players another casual game to play before the big guns come out. And when you think about it, you can't really do local multiplayer with the 3DS version without any extra 3DS systems; that could end up costing you more than a single Wii U system if the Wii U's prices drop.

The Wii U version would resolve the local multiplayer problem, and be much more competitive in general.

I know that the Wii U has been dealing with a rough road, but it seems that Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U are made to target different audiences, since I don't think a lot of people would want to play competitively on a handheld system.

PokéMurio

Smash Apprentice
I think this is good move for gamers. 3DS version is like a half-year "snack". Of course 3DS version will be awesome game too, but Wii U version is what everyone is really waiting.

For Wii U as console, however, releasing 3DS version first is bad thing of course.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Is there going to be a point in having locked characters in the Wii U version if the 3DS version is already out?
Someone earlier brought up the great idea of somehow transferring all of your unlock able characters from the 3DS to the Wii U.

Unlocking everything twice would suck, especially if it's time consuming this time around.

Joalro

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0189-8794-0585
Step 1: Release Smash on 3ds (which has the much larger user base)
Step 2: Wait several months for millions of people to buy the game
Step 3: Release Wii U version
Step 4: "Sync Up your 3DS version with the Wii U version to unlock Mewtwo, Ridley and Paper Mario"
Step 5: Profit

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Step 4: "Sync Up your 3DS version with the Wii U version to unlock Mewtwo, Ridley and Paper Mario"
This would be an awful idea... People who don't wish to purchase both versions wouldn't be able to have access to these characters.

That's a big no no.

Top Bottom