• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thread for Combos

How would you know?
I can ask you the same question, but it boils down to understanding that a true combo vs a series of hits is that one of them is escapable, while the other is not.

The Mario combo on Wii Fit Trainer for example, ended after the Up-tilt, as you can see Wii Fit Trainer start her Nair animation before Mario hits her. Not to mention we don't understand how much stun is in the game vs the stun of the move or whether or not the player could have potentially reacted to the situation.

There are more examples, but these "combos" should have been possible since they are at low percent and the move is fast, whether or not you can legitimately follow up at higher percents is another story.

Playing both Melee and Brawl for years makes it obvious as to what a true combo really is and how much combo potential there can be.

Last edited:
Also, you used a combo on a sandbag for a video reference, which is possibly the worst example you can use for definitive combos because it's against an opponent who literally reacts to nothing and has very abnormal physical properties on hit. C'mon, dude...

Senario

Smash Ace
Two hit combos gives me bad flashbacks to roy in melee who similarly had 2 ish combos. It wasnt effective and one of the reasons he is legitimately not a good character.

Roy's our boy tho so I let it slide. Just that 2 hit combos arent great. If if isnt a true combo you can bet that the top level of play will get out of the combo as soon as they can.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
can't post what doesn't exist there are no combos.
Why am I not surprised by who's posting this and who's the only person who gave it a like?
There will be combos, although I hope there's no 6 or 7-hit ridiculous combos, some people actually like to play the game and not be a sandbag. Also, these are pre-Direct physics, so we don't know much about combos yet, maybe those combos we've seen will be replaced by better ones.

Senario

Smash Ace
Why am I not surprised by who's posting this and who's the only person who gave it a like?
There will be combos, although I hope there's no 6 or 7-hit ridiculous combos, some people actually like to play the game and not be a sandbag. Also, these are pre-Direct physics, so we don't know much about combos yet, maybe those combos we've seen will be replaced by better ones.
Oh no! How dare somebody say an opinion and somebody else either agrees with it or finds it funny! The like is so important! Im so offended by it! /sarcasm

Seriously? We are trying to discuss legitimate combos and watching vids. Hopes are that combos will be longer than two hits. Here, ill give you a like to show how meaningless it is.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Oh no! How dare somebody say an opinion and somebody else either agrees with it or finds it funny! The like is so important! Im so offended by it! /sarcasm

Seriously? We are trying to discuss legitimate combos and watching vids. Hopes are that combos will be longer than two hits. Here, ill give you a like to show how meaningless it is.
I'm not talking about that specific Like, if you knew what I was talking about you'd realize that I'm talking about a pattern. Just like I give "Likes" to every pro-Brawl comment. I personally think that 3-hit combos are a perfect number, sometimes having 4-hitters and VERY RARELY 5-hit wombo combos.

Renji64

Smash Lord
1-2 hit combos oh so hype.

josh bones

Smash Lord
I'm not talking about that specific Like, if you knew what I was talking about you'd realize that I'm talking about a pattern. Just like I give "Likes" to every pro-Brawl comment. I personally think that 3-hit combos are a perfect number, sometimes having 4-hitters and VERY RARELY 5-hit wombo combos.
No. Just no. 3 hit combos are the opposite of hype. 5-7 hitters are good for the audience and the player.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
For those of you who've seen the VGBC moveset video for Luigi, do you think this might be possible? Dthrow -> Utilt -> Uair -> Any aerial

I'm gonna be trying this out day 1 lolz

The video makes it seem like Luigi's combo game could be very potent. They didn't try out the one I just listed, but Dthrow looks to be the best setup throw I've seen so far. Even at around 100% it barely sent Little Mac anywhere. I'm thinking that Luigi might have some kind of KO setup out of it. Maybe Dthrow -> Fair. Possibly even Dthrow -> up angled Fsmash at percents less than 100 if the opponent DIs the wrong way.
Roy's our boy tho so I let it slide.
My man. :denzel:

Last edited:

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
I don't mind combos I just hate 0 to death combos that are guaranteed 100% of the time. 64 had too much, Brawl had too little. Again I think 5,6,7 hit combo are fine as long as they don't do 80% damage. lol

Last edited:

josh bones

Smash Lord
I don't mind combos I just hate 0 to death combos that are guaranteed 100% of the time. 64 had too much, Brawl had too little. Again I think 5,6,7 hit combo are fine as long as they don't do 80% damage. lol
unless your playing marvel, comboes arn't garenteed 100%. It's all about the reads.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
I'm not certain it was a true combo (though it certainly looked like one), but I saw someone take 4 successive UAirs from Mario. UAir just after the apex of a short hop > UAir into the ground > short hop rising UAir > UAir at the apex of the short hop. (The first thought that popped into my head when I saw the first 2 hits of that combo was "Resolute Infliction!" in Presea Combatir's voice from Tales of Symphonia.)

Another thing about hitstun in the Smash 4 demo: Supposedly, hitstun increases in increments for every 10% damage you've taken.

Last edited:

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
unless your playing marvel, comboes arn't garenteed 100%. It's all about the reads.
Brawl Pikachu's Down Throw x1,000,000 to Up Smash on Brawl Fox wants a word with you. That's why the matchup's so bad. If Pikachu didn't have awful reach on his attacks and one of the smallest grab ranges in the game, I imagine it'd be even harder for Fox. If Up Smash doesn't KO, then he can use Thunder afterwards which guarantees the stock.

According to this video, whilst it isn't guaranteed (the Fox can get out by holding down and pressing Shield), Pikachu can get a Forward Smash out of it too. Poor Fox.
Skip to 4:43

D

Deleted member 245254

I'm saying you shouldn't be able to airdodge out of tumble at all.

This simply isn't true. Maybe some people but most people including myself have tried at E3 and Best Buy and combos are still really difficult. Although there is slightly more hitstun attacks send too far and you still can air dodge out of tumble. Again if they really care I'm sure it'll be fixed.
It takes more than one 2 minute session of free for all gameplay (or even a days worth) to find in-depth combos In a game like Smash. It takes serious lab work and in some cases bad DI on your opponents part.

There is video documentation of combos. Stop acting like there isn't.

josh bones

Smash Lord
Brawl Pikachu's Down Throw x1,000,000 to Up Smash on Brawl Fox wants a word with you. That's why the matchup's so bad. If Pikachu didn't have awful reach on his attacks and one of the smallest grab ranges in the game, I imagine it'd be even harder for Fox. If Up Smash doesn't KO, then he can use Thunder afterwards which guarantees the stock.

According to this video, whilst it isn't guaranteed (the Fox can get out by holding down and pressing Shield), Pikachu can get a Forward Smash out of it too. Poor Fox.
Skip to 4:43
Chaingrabs are not comboes, theres a reason nobody brought up these clowns :popo::icsmelee:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Well, I guess we don't see eye to eye on what makes a combo. Still, lol Ice Climbers.
Technically, a chaingrab is a combo by the basic definition of combo. In other fighting games, it's still a combo if you string command grabs together for an inescapable string of attacks, correct?

Still, I'll agree that chain-grabs are poor form. If the Ice Climbers come back, I'd love to see a mechanic by which desyncs are made much easier to perform, in exchange for a complete lack of chain-grab potential. I'd love to see something like Popo FThrow > Nana NAir > Popo FAir > Nana BAir on the ground-bounce > Popo BAir, for example. That would be pretty.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Still, I'll agree that chain-grabs are poor form. If the Ice Climbers come back, I'd love to see a mechanic by which desyncs are made much easier to perform, in exchange for a complete lack of chain-grab potential. I'd love to see something like Popo FThrow > Nana NAir > Popo FAir > Nana BAir on the ground-bounce > Popo BAir, for example. That would be pretty.
I could get a LOT of flames for this, but this post is exactly why I've got this feeling that Rosalina is replacing the Ice Climbers. She has a specific move dedicated to positioning her partner-character (neutral special, Luma Shot) and the Luma cannot grab. I dunno, she just seems like Sakurai's way of making a more accessible, less exploitable Ice Climbers.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Also dunno why we are going in depth with this either.

Combos are in the game, multiple people confirmed this at the best buy/e3 places.

Still a demo, Bill even said he couldn't do things as Rosalina in the demo he could with what he had at Nintendo.

Mensrea

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mensrea

Combos are in the game, multiple people confirmed this at the best buy/e3 places.

Still a demo, Bill even said he couldn't do things as Rosalina in the demo he could with what he had at Nintendo.

I was just trying to compile some cool videos of the combos shown?

Why are we going in to depth with this? I thought this was a forum for the discussion of smash bros wii u? I'm not sure I understand?

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
unknown so far with people flying ultra far away possibly.
Sorry, Sheik's FTilt confirmed to still do what it does in Brawl and Melee. UTilt can combo, Dash Attack can be used to start, finish, or extend combos. Also, BAir auto-cancels to combo into itself several times over. UAir juggles like one would expect. FAir is a kill move, though. Also Side Special > FTilt x a bunch > have fun with aerials. And Aerial NSpecial auto-cancels like in Melee, so feel free to go nuts with that.

Last edited:

Mr.Random

Smash Ace

I agree with this. It's just too early to call. We should probably just wait for the 3DS release. Maybe lock this thread for now and reopen it at release?

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
To be fair, most of the longer Melee combos aren't guaranteed in the sense that they rely on reading opponent DI or techchases, so if Smash 4's extended(over 3 hit) "combos" are largely dependent on reading opponent airdodges out of tumble, they shouldn't necessarily be discounted, as Smash 4 airdodges have a bit more endlag and reading and punishing them require a lot of the same skills needed to combo in Melee.

VhatDeHel

Smash Apprentice

Wait where did Bill say this? Someone told me possibly during Day 1 of the stream but I went back looking for it and couldn't find it. I'll take your word on it though

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
2 hit moves and stuff that can be easily DI'D out of are comboes now? :metaknight:'s nado confirmed for combo move
Combos have clearly been shown in multiple demo videos, and even a few in the direct. We have clearly seen combos happen. Many saythere are combos in it. What more evidence do you need.

josh bones

Smash Lord
Combos have clearly been shown in multiple demo videos, and even a few in the direct. We have clearly seen combos happen. Many saythere are combos in it. What more evidence do you need.
And how many of those are more than 2 hits?

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
2 hit moves and stuff that can be easily DI'D out of are comboes now? :metaknight:'s nado confirmed for combo move
Actually, in Smash 4 the Mach Tornado would indeed, most likely, be an inescapable or nigh-inescapable multi-hit thanks to the global nerf to SDI, but that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about things like Aerial Spin Dash > land > Spin Dash Jump > FAir. Or Mario's UAir just after apex of short hop > UAir into ground > rising short-hop UAir > UAir at apex of short hop.

Zelda can DAir > DAir and start a tech chase. Mario can BAir you 3 successive times if you don't DI correctly. Sheik can BAir you all the way to the ledge from centre stage. Mario can combo the third hit of jab into a short-hop FAir.

All of that said, yes, most of the combos I have seen are 2 hits, not counting combos that include jab strings. I say we wait 'til we have our hands on the final version (which will almost certainly be superior to a demo build so outdated that Bill Trinen was complaining about it) and give the pros time for lab work before we complain about combo limitations. Very few people have had enough time with the game to discover much more than 2-hit combos.

Last edited:
Top Bottom