• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Three Generations Go to War! Which Game had the Best Stages?

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Alright, so I'm sure now most of us (sorry Europeans) have had our chance to play Brawl. After personally playing through the stages, I have personally pondered which of the three Smash games had the best stages. I've concluded that Smash 64 had the best playable stage percentage out of all the other Smash Bros games with all stages playable with the exception of one (if you count Mushroom Kingdom as banned).

Even though Brawl has a diverse selection of stages, they're all too similar for me. Melee however, certainly was the worst game in terms of stages. So, which game did you guys prefer in regards to the stage selection.

D00D64

Smash Cadet
Brawl had 75m, Mario Bros, Pictochat, Warioware Inc., Mario Circut, and a non-scrolling Ice Climber Stage...

...But 64 had Saffron and Hyrule castle...

...Ths is tough...
I'd say Brawl. Sure, most of the more fun stages are not tournament legal in the least, but they still kick ***. I miss Saffron though...

EDIT: Forgot Luigi's Mansion and Distant Planet.

Primetime84

Smash Cadet
Brawl hands down b/c of the number of stages offered. Even after you get beyond the numbers the stages in Brawl are far more interactive, and complex. The Brawl stages own the N64 stages and most of the Melee stages (Excluding Corneria, Flat Zone, and Jungle Japes IMO)

:034:

Smash Hero
Out of an objective standpoint, Brawl. Easily.

It has retro stages, going back all the way to Game and Watch and the freekin' ARCADE without being lame (looking at you Melee Flat Zone), scrolling stages that aren't annoying (see Icicle Mountain), a GOOD Ice Climber stage but also a lot of good standard stages with their own funny quirk (Skyworld, for instance).

The thing is, it wasn't all original. Which is what pains me. Sure, there are a lot of cool and new stages, but a lot of them also just blatantly take from Melee stages (Mute City -> Port Town, Delfino Plaza). And on top of that, they put in the most original Melee stages (Big Blue) and call it a day. That and there are a LOT of stages with just platforms and stuff happening in the background (Lylat Cruise, Halberd..).

But, the original and good stages make up for the bad ones by far. How can you not love Mushroomy Kingdom, 75m, Mario Bros., Spear Pillar, Luigi's Mansion, Pictochat, Mario Circuit, WarioWare Inc. and Distant Planet? I mean, come on.. That's awesome.

Out of a nostalgic standpoint, 64. It started it all and it had the totally awesome Hyrule, Princess Peach's Castle, Mushroom Kingdom and Saffron City. But yeah, not much else. It did start the Great Fox stage thing that has yet to be changed, though.

Absolute Zer0

Smash Rookie
Brawl for sure, all the stages seem to have a ton of work put into them, whereas Melee had a lot that were just like Battlefield with different textures.

Guildenstern

Smash Apprentice
In all three games, once I've unlocked the Random Stage Options menu, I've gone through and turned off the stages that were "not fun" to play on. In Melee, this included Icicle Mountain, Flat Zone, Brinstar Depths, and sometimes Big Blue and/or Poke Floats, depending on my mood. In general, stages where you had to focus less on fighting and more on not being randomly killed, were decidedly un-fun and I disabled them for random selection.

In Brawl, however, I really like the stages, and the vast majority of them are quite playable. So far I've only turned off 75m (because the platforms are not drop-through and you spend way too much time just trying to navigate the level) and Mushroomy Kingdom (because the Underground version leads to lots of scrolling death and not much Brawling). Even in the old Melee stages, Brawl has made changes that make them more fun:

1. In Yoshi's Island, they fixed the bug that made certain characters insta-kill themselves if they did a horizontal B attack over the three blocks in the middle. Ganondorf no longer needs to fear for his life on this level, and can concentrate on fighting rather than avoiding the three blocks of death.

2. Jungle Japes: With the addition of swimming, this level is suddenly way more fun! If you fall in the water, you don't sink; you can jump back out. However, I have slightly mixed feelings about this, because I am one of those sick *******s who actually loved this level in Melee precisely for the fact that it had some nice fighting platforms, and quick death to anyone who didn't stay on them...

3. Big Blue? I haven't played on it yet, but I suspect with Brawl's decreased landing lag before you can jump again, plus the wide assortment of characters with flying abilities, would make this level more fun.

I guess those are the main ones. In general, most of the levels in Brawl are fun to play on, have engaging (but not totally bat**** annoying) effects, and have pretty things to look at.

I do, however, miss many of the levels from the old SSB 64. Nothing will ever replace the old Mushroom Kingdom, with the warp pipes, and I will always have fond memories of Saffron City, Dream Land, and of course, Hyrule Castle, which was our group's official place for a grudge match.

WuTangDude

Smash Ace
In my eyes, Brawl kills it by a long shot, 41 stages, all unique and great in their own light? Brawl nailed it in terms of stages.

Shadowfury333

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowfury333
3DS FC
3497-0544-5961
Well, Big Blue was actually my favourite Melee level, but so far I'm quite enjoying the Brawl stages.

Oi Kyon

Smash Journeyman
IMO, I prefer Brawl stages because of the stage builder, but most of the regular ones seem a bit too small, but its probably just because I haven't played Melee anytime before I played Brawl.

Patinator

Smash Champion
Even if I don't include Stage Builder, it would be Brawl. For stages such as Battlefield, Final Destination, Lylat Cruise, etc., they have absolutely GORGEOUS background graphics.

Plus, the stages seem overall less gimmicky then in Melee.

You have some great stages for competitive play, and then some fantastic casual ones, like Temple.

Plus the music. :D

Melee looked like it had the worst stages. But then, while I never played it, from pictures it looks like 64 had bigger stages, so there's another reason. Melee had REALLY gimmicky stages. :dizzy:

Anarchist_Chase

Smash Cadet
i think brawl has the best, but it would have been cool to have all the N64 stages in. Melee definately had the worst stages. From Icicle Mountain to Poke Floats, it was just gimmicky crap.(IMO)

SubparSmashBrother

Smash Ace
I prefer SSB64 stages. My top 5 favorite Smash stages of all time are Dreamland 64, Mushroom Kingdom 1, Hyrule (64), Saffron City, and Final Destination, four of those only in SSB64.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
This game's stages sucked. 64 only had two stages in competitive players eyes. Melee wins. Brawl's stages are highly homosexual.

Rovec

Smash Rookie
Having only played the original SSB64 once I can't really comment on most of its stages, but to me brawl defiantly wins the fight. It has something for everyone--whether you like crazy stages or calm ones. Each stage also looks great no matter which category it might fit into.

And while the music could be considered only loosely connected to the stages it most defiantly gives Brawl an added bonus over melee.

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
This game's stages sucked. 64 only had two stages in competitive players eyes. Melee wins. Brawl's stages are highly homosexual.
Yes. Stages can be gay. That makes sense. ¬_¬ Homophobe...

But still, I know what you mean. There's what... somewhere between five-ten?

Doesn't matter either way, Brawl is still a better game, IMHO :)

Rebel581

Smash Champion
Yes. Stages can be gay. That makes sense. ¬_¬ Homophobe...

But still, I know what you mean. There's what... somewhere between five-ten?

Doesn't matter either way, Brawl is still a better game, IMHO :)
Yes, stages like my **** XD

I'll agree that I like Brawl better as a game. I just think the stages in this game are horrible and that Melee's are a lot better. If they had made this game with Melee stages (and fixed some of the stages I couldn't see properly on, I don't have that problem in this game), I would've been happy.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Melee and SSB64 are far better than Brawl in stages. The majority of Brawl's stages are just uninteresting and nothing more than a huge platform with a few above it (or some variations that still aren't very interesting.)

thebombguy

Smash Rookie
For starters, I would just like to point out that level design was fantastic in all three titles. N64 brought us Saffron City, Hyrule Castle, Corneria in its first incarnation... Everyone seems to agree on this as being a lot of fun.
Melee's stages were indeed a little gimmicky, but that's to be expected, because it was the follow up to a surprise hit, and some of the things they did in that game were very hit-or-miss, luckily most of them ended up as hits. Some of the levels were great. Hyrule Temple is still the standard 4-player map for me and my friends, and Corneria continued being awesome. I also loved the F-Zero stages, both.
Brawl is better still, because of the variety of stages, stage builder. A lot of the stages just have too much movement for me, but I have to wonder, am I the only one who liked New Pork City? I really loved it, and I'm also a big fan of the Fire Emblem stage.

Dais

Smash Cadet
I'm kinda dissapointed with the small amount of Good Brawl stages. There are just too many that kill you. Did they think the stages aren't fun unless they blow you away or eat you :( ? The F-Zero stage and Spear Pillar are good examples. They look awesome have great music and Would be fun, if the stage didn't kill the hell out of you. Even the retro stages, 75m and Mario, they beat the balls off of you. I think even casual players would be upset when they lose because of some stupid hazard. And why is the New Pork City so zoomed out? That and the confusing color scheme ruin it. I wouldn't mind a couple of nutty stages like WarioWare or just something really different, but I think there are just too many gimmicky stages. Melee and Brawl may be tied or something. (how cool would 40 neutral stages have been?)

saud

Smash Lord
Brawl has the best, only stage I'm really missing is Saffron City from SSB64, would also say Fountain of Dreams from SSBM, but the music is in, so np :)

IceEmblem

Smash Journeyman
Constantly inside a R.O.B Halloween Costume
Well ofcourse, the graphics in SSBB are the best, but graphics do not make the game.
In my view, although most people will think brawl has the best stages, im going to go with melee, they were nice and simple but still had some excitment, but brawl on most stages the person who wins the match won't be decided by skill, but whether they can survive or not.

Patinator

Smash Champion
I'm kinda dissapointed with the small amount of Good Brawl stages. There are just too many that kill you. Did they think the stages aren't fun unless they blow you away or eat you :( ? The F-Zero stage and Spear Pillar are good examples. They look awesome have great music and Would be fun, if the stage didn't kill the hell out of you.
Well, actually, I find Spear Pillar's hazards easy to avoid. The F-Zero Machines on Port Town Aero Drive are hard to see coming, but they're easy to dodge as well...

Even the retro stages, 75m and Mario, they beat the balls off of you. I think even casual players would be upset when they lose because of some stupid hazard. And why is the New Pork City so zoomed out? That and the confusing color scheme ruin it. I wouldn't mind a couple of nutty stages like WarioWare or just something really different, but I think there are just too many gimmicky stages. Melee and Brawl may be tied or something. (how cool would 40 neutral stages have been?)
Err, confusing color scheme? I don't understand that bit... :p

And... FORTY Neutral stages? Are you MAD?!

Let me ask you something: do you REALLY want forty Battlefields/Final Destinations?

[Don't take this as a flame, please. :)]

DarkBridge

Smash Rookie
I've always liked the SSB64 stages the best - there was very little chance for someone to die due to a random stage event, whereas in Brawl I feel like just about every stage is out to get me somehow.
Hyrule Castle, both Mushroom Kingdom stages, and Saffron City were all a blast to play on.

I think the design that the developers chose on those SSB64 stages were very conducive to sectioning the fights and changing tactics depending on which part of the stage you were on; in Brawl, you have to fight the same way in just about every section of most stages.

Example:
Hyrule Castle in SSB64 had the rightmost section with the weird little hut thing on a floor below the center level. This area forced a lot of short-range, powerful attacks out of players when they ended up down here.
The center area, and the three platforms on the main tower, were better suited for projectiles and upward attacks as people scrambled for items near the top of the field.
The leftmost area was slanted downwards, and negated many projectiles coming from the center of the stage, although ballistic ones (bombs, thrown items, anything that fell with a curve) were still effective. Several of the stages in SSB64 were sectioned like this.

In Brawl, it seems the stages don't feel sectioned, and this make the fights pretty much the same for the duration of the match.

Stages like Norfair and New Pork City come to mind - both stages are platforms that force players to mainly use ranged attacks; if you have no ranged attacks, you might not do so well on the stage against someone (of equal skill) who does, because you'll spend so much time chasing them instead of actually attacking.

zxcZ

Smash Cadet
My favorite stage was the Castle(Zelda stage) from 64 and Saffron was also a good one. So I'm going to have to go with sb64.

6footninja

Smash Ace
not counting the stage creator (which should not be considered a stage), I would still say Brawl. Of course I have a personal attachment with Brawl, the stages recreate many of the places I am fond with in the early Nintendo games. If asking this same question to an audience of people who had no real attachment with Nintendo before Smash, we may get more realistic answers. Usually asking general masses isn't a preferred approach, but here is an exception.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Brawl, hands down. They have the smash 64 simple yet advanced formula, multiple layers with each stage, and each stage feels like a new game. It feels like you're in Super Mario Sunshine. It feels like you're really fighting on Luigi's Mansion. You feel like you are in the classic Mario Bros. game. You feel like you're on the classic SMB level. You feel like you're in the middle of a cart race. You feel like you're climbing a waterfall. You feel like you're in the original Donkey Kong. You feel like you're in Twilight Princess. You feel like you're on the Great Sea. You feel like you're on a cute Yoshi's Island. You feel like you're on the station before, after, and even ON The Halberd. You feel like you're in the middle of an epic space battle. You feel like you're in the middle of an imense Pokémon battling areana. You feel like you are ontop of Spear Pillar, fighting legendary Pokémon. You feel like you're in New Pork City. You feel like you're on the F-Zero Racetrack. You feel like you are in a Game and Watch handheld or two. You feel like you are on the top of a moutain that falls all the way into the ocean. You feel like you're in a epic battle to attack a castle, in the King's Meeting Room, and in a lava filled volcano-dungeon. You feel like you're in the Heavens battling your foes. You feel like you're in a giant mini-game. You feel like you're in a forest natural enviornment(al hazard). You feel like you're in a top secret government base. You feel like you're in the classic Sonic the Hedgehog game. It feels insanely realistic (oddly; smash bros. is the most unrealistic s*** ever, lol! Unrealistic=awsome)-and fun, at the same time! :)

Smash 64 is simply, yet advanced, and very fun. Melee's average stage is decent at best.

Brawl > smash 64 > Melee. There is NO TOPPING DELFINO PLAZA! :)

Top Bottom