• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tick Set-ups and why peach is **** @ them. - Update!

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
I just felt like writing this for whatever reason while videos process.

----

Before I go into the brawl aspect I'm going to explain what the tick part of this means.

It originally comes from the fighting term "Tick throw" which is really just jabbing someone/getting them to block and throwing them.

in common tick set-ups, you never really had too much advantage on block/hit or were neutral on block. [sound familiar?]

The definition has broadened somewhat over the ages, but meh.

This is pretty much akin jab cancels in brawl but peach has so much more then that, which is what I shall go into

other terms I'll use

Respect: whether or not your opponent continues to block or not, disrespect is poking out while respect is holding block.

Interruption: coined by TKD [at least he's the 1st whom I've seen use it] simply the act of interrupting someone's action with a faster move. easier to do w/ frame advantages or very little frame disadvantage.

-----

On hit.

Universally peach has 2 really nice tick moves on hit that work across all percents

Jab 1 and Dair [1st 3 hits, landing, not autocanceled].

afterwards, the opponent is either neutral or disadvantageous by a slight bit on hit.

Our 1st and Safest Option is really grab. it conditions them to try to counterpoke or sidestep... maybe even roll. Even if they try counterpoking, you could easily just superarmor grab through the hit <3 [you take % tho]

Once they start trying to counterpoke and you want to a stronger punishment [depends] You can try shielding and punishing OOS, this makes them want to go to another option.

grab.

now, not everyone has the best grab range. and this gets to the 3rd layer of yomi.

interrupting either a fast move [jab 1] or Stutterstep [maybe slight charge] Fsmash away [doesn't work with the frying pan :(]

this doesn't cover nearly every option but it gives you an idea of how the mix-ups off this are **** <3

Other tick set-ups on hit that aren't as common are wear bair 0-> 110, or weak nair.
Strong really close to the ground Nair/Bair work too.

----

On Block.

This character is blessed with multiple neutral or close to neutral [advantage/disadvantage] attacks on block.

so like we can get away with a lot of ****.

I gave you your conditioning cycle up there so I'mma just list how **** each move is on block :>

for the sanity of flamewave

[collapse=]
Block Data:
[/collapse]

[collapse=Fair]
Our Bonafide Shield Pressure move, neutral or better on block and has ******* good range.

I think you can get away with using fair A LOT and still viably kill with it as long as you've gotten your opponent good at blocking it.

just like ZSS sideB :3

I usually cancel it into grab [to get them to stop shielding], shield for counterpokes, and floating dair for roll/sidesteps

If you REALLY wanna pull the block pressure on and you got them to respect you could viably go into re-jump rising dair [sh or full hop], float at w.e. height you want [varies on what you pick] and continue that pressure.

Landing Fair into Ground Float Fair is silly.
Block Data:
Shield stun: 5
Optimal Shield Advantage (assumes hitting with F17 hitbox): 0, -2
Optimal Shield Drop Advantage: +7, +5
[/collapse]

[collapse=Dair]
THIS MOVE IS SO GOOD FOR TICKS

Anytime you're floating this move near the ground, you don't need to drop float when it ends.
You can viably drop it whenever and sidestep grabs [the most common response], even safer on cross-up.

However it usually is safer to to land with the 4th hit so you get that almost neutral situation.

A trick I like to do on someone's shield is sh dair on them -> Footstool -> float at whatever height I want and continue pressure.

block data:
Optimal Shield Advadvantage: -9
Optimal Shield Drop Advantage: -2
Optimal Shield Advantage Autocanceled: -3 (-5 hard landing)
Optimal Shield Drop Advantage Autocanceled: +4, +2
[/collapse]

[collapse=Bair]

Bair is the quirkiest out the shield pressure aerials.

As you already know, if you FF the strong hit peach moves back a fair distance.
This can be abused for DUMB cross-ups/which way games on your opponent's shield. [holding left or right at the time determines how much you move when doing the bair, or at least it feels that way]

the hard hit isn't that disadvantageous on block, and has + frames if they want to counterpoke out.

For the WEAK hit... its completely neutral on block done right with obvious + frames if they want to counterpoke.

completely neutral.

are they gonna grab? JAB.

are they gonna hold shield? GRAB [or more shield pressure if you want to eat their shield more + push'em off the ledge]

are they gonna roll/sidestep/jump out? **** them.

soooo goood. the only problem with getting the weak hit out is that you need to get the strong hit out 1st and then move it into them, by then they'll already see what you're doing [but by the time it hits them they really can't do ****]

Block Data:
Shield stun: 5, 2
Optimal Shield Advantage: -4 (hard hit then land)
Optimal Shield Drop Advantage: +3
Optimal Shield Advantage Autocanceled: 0 (weak hit bair -> ac landing)
Optimal Shield Drop Advantage Autocanceled: +7
[/collapse]

[collapse=Nair]
I really don't use this one for shield pressure, but sometimes I read counterpokes wrong when I'm in the air when I want to interupt them and I end up falling on their shield so I'm listing it anyway :V

Apparently, this is 2 hits [I never hit with the double hit on shield before though...] but if you do a late jump-in with it [like I normally do since I'm trying to interrupt counterpokes] its not the safest thing on block... but if they for w.e. decide to drop shield to counterpoke you're neutral [otherwise if they have a f6 grab they should just grab for you free hurrdurr]. For the reason previously stated you should always be crossing up with this if you decide to late-jump in with it.

I dunno much about shield pressure with nair so you guys will have to help me out here.

Block Data:
Shield Stun: 4, 3
Optimal Shield Advantage: -7
Optimal Shield Drop Advantage: 0
[/collapse]

[collapse=Jab]
its not the SAFEST thing on block at all.

however you have to realize that no one has good enough reaction time to do any complete counter option on your post jab options

jab 2 or sidestep to beat obvious grab attempt.

shield or jab 2 to beat counterpokes

Once you have your opponent respecting you can jab cancel into jump or ground float aerials

for rolls sidesteps... you should know what to do.

Block Data:
Shield stun: 1
Shield Advantage: -16
Shield drop advantage: -9
[/collapse]

[collapse=Dtilt]

I **** you not.

this move is legit [if you get them to block it or get it out in the 1st place]

it spaces you out just enough where most grabs will miss, and you can viably cancel this into jump aerials very quickly.

if it wasn't for the backwards momentum post/hit this thing would be trash.

glad thats not the case.

Block Data:
Shield Stun: 3
Shield Advantage: -13
Shield Drop advantage: -6
[/collapse]

Random tips for keeping initiative/getting damage off block pressure.

In general, try to push them towards the corner or poke them out of their disrespect, Grab as you see fit, I honestly only grab when I really need the damage/positioning, because of this I get away with the grab when I reallllly need it.

DELAY YOUR STRINGS, and then don't delay them. Delaying your strings makes them nervous since you're in neutral and they have to sit in their shield, they'll do something eventually, or their shield will eat away, once you got them to counterpoke/ do something you can start with the buffered strings with little or no gaps. just mix up block pressure really. this is a fightan game staple :V

In general, just think of what your opponent is going to do while blocking, and do something that will beat what they want to do.

for invincible DP moves, bait them with block. it just adds another layer of yomi you have to think about.

any questions I will answer, tick set-ups and farming turnips are two things I'd like to think I'm very knowledgable about.

culexus・wau

I haven't even done the block part yet.

which is the best part because this character is bull**** on shield pressure

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
Of course. It's Peach anyway.

But then Metaknight has insane shield pressure on platforms...

culexus・wau

its not even done yet.

hurrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I'm talking about various mix-ups off of jab.

jab -> grab is the 1st part of the conditioning and one of the most common usages of it.

the others are powerful mix-ups that you can use to ****. I'm not listing everything though or else that would take forever. not in the mood now I think.

once I finish this last NoHo set I'mma finish this.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
dude meno that thread still amazes me.

i actually use it.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
Lawl, what's a thread?

Yeah, Illmatic I'll second that. Some nice stuff up in here that people need to abuse.

I don't even think people watch critique videos enough to learn anything.

culexus・wau

Godamn.

Meno

I didn't even know that existed.

good ****.

I'm gonna finish this tommorrow tho :>

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Wait, you're saying...jab their shield, then either grab their shield or shield their punishment?

That only goes for characters without guaranteed punishments (Dedede's grab, MK's up-B, Marth's up-B) of the jab, right?

culexus・wau

You have answers vs those "guranteed punishments"

but yeah kinda.

you don't need to tick with just jab either.

our late jump-in/floated aerials give us AMAZING neutral or better frames on block ;x

if you instill fear that their punishments won't work you'll obviously make them block longer

because we're peach this obviously makes them our ***** once they're blocking.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
D-air & F-air on shield perfectly autocanceled hit is -2

this means against olimar you can f-air or d-air to short hop n-air and the only thing he can do is usmash OOS, olimars don't u-smash oos agasint peach's moves for fear of being slapped

If you have a turnip in hand you can:

Float cancel fake F-air to make them put there block up, run over d-throw turnip, perfectly auto cancel a D-air to the back of their shield, then jab 1 the back of their shield, wait a split second and jab 2, it should break their shield ^^

culexus・wau

that shield break string sounds gay.

seems like it needs incredible respect to work tho LOL

Top Bottom