• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List compared to Melee

Redknight7

Smash Apprentice
I feel like in Melee the tiers were a lot more important than it is in Brawl. Am I right on this assumption? I'm just getttin ginto the competitive Brawl and is a long time Melee player.

Basically what I mean is that it seems like in Melee the top tier characters were a lot better then the lower tier. I feel like in Brawl you can basically compete with most of the characters, where in Melee you gotta be either fox marth falco or shiek or ur not going to win at high levels.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
If you exclude MK and G Tier, characters would be more closer, but otherwise...

it's all MK mainly and then Snake, ICs, Falco, and Diddy here and there. Then you have Marth, Wario, and Pikachu appearing now and then.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
I feel like in Melee the tiers were a lot more important than it is in Brawl. Am I right on this assumption? I'm just getttin ginto the competitive Brawl and is a long time Melee player.

Basically what I mean is that it seems like in Melee the top tier characters were a lot better then the lower tier. I feel like in Brawl you can basically compete with most of the characters, where in Melee you gotta be either fox marth falco or shiek or ur not going to win at high levels.
taj uses mewtwo...and ***** (3rd worst character...lol)
(didnt he also destroy a bunch of people in friendlies @ Pound 4?)
Gimpy uses Bowser...and *****

The Germ uses Link...and *****

i dunno, i think lower tier characters in melee have a higher chance of winning against high tier characters than brawl's low tiers do

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
taj uses mewtwo...and ***** (3rd worst character...lol)
(didnt he also destroy a bunch of people in friendlies @ Pound 4?)
Gimpy uses Bowser...and *****

The Germ uses Link...and *****

i dunno, i think lower tier characters in melee have a higher chance of winning against high tier characters than brawl's low tiers do
Taj uses Marth in serious matches.

Gimpy uses Falco iirc.

I love how people have the gall to mention low tiers in Melee and constantly forget Axe, the only true low tier main that places very, very high. He uses Pikachu.

Honestly, I think Melee is more balanced than Brawl, if only for the fact that the bottom tiers have hitstun and gimping on their side to give them a chance against the easily-comboable top and high tiers.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
Taj uses Marth in serious matches.

Gimpy uses Falco iirc.

I love how people have the gall to mention low tiers in Melee and constantly forget Axe, the only true low tier main that places very, very high. He uses Pikachu.

Honestly, I think Melee is more balanced than Brawl, if only for the fact that the bottom tiers have hitstun and gimping on their side to give them a chance against the easily-comboable top and high tiers.
THIS

but his mewtwo still raeps :D

also, doesnt like half the cast have a chaingrab on space animals? slight advantage there :laugh:

Djent

Smash Champion
According to the Character Results Thread, Fox, Falco, and Jiggs are the current Top Tier in Melee. Falcon, Marth, Shiek, and Peach have also been doing quite well. What's pretty cool about the Top Tier is the way it forms a triangle of dominance. Some people consider these even, but the general consensus seems to be:

Fox > Jiggs
Jiggs > Falco
Falco > Fox

IMO, Melee appears far more balanced than Brawl at the top level. Low tiers are equally as unviable, but the highest point of the metagame gives players more character options. :metaknight::snake:

Pimpfish

Smash Journeyman
THIS

but his mewtwo still raeps :D

also, doesnt like half the cast have a chaingrab on space animals? slight advantage there :laugh:
even kirby can uthrow chaingrab falco and fox a few times at like 60 percent to like 116 percent. see the kirby cheat on youtube for more details

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
It's the exact opposite.

In Melee, you could use Low Tiers and still succeed.
Yet, in Brawl, you MUST use at higher-tiered character or else you WILL fail. Lower-tiered characters can be COMPLETELY nonviable, while Mewtwo, for example, can still do very well in Melee.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
It's the exact opposite.

Yet, in Brawl, you MUST use at higher-tiered character or else you WILL fail. Lower-tiered characters can be COMPLETELY nonviable, while Mewtwo, for example, can still do very well in Melee.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHJo6ovLhvc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTzv2TMAi48

:V

Depends on the matchup. Instead, random mid/low tiers often have random good or even matchups against the higher tiers, see Jiggs vs Zelda, DK vs Fox, etc. However, they don't magically become viable from this because Sheik still exists and outside of their random good matchups, they often have a habit of failing hard against someone else as well, unless the player's name is Axe. :V

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
This "Brawl has more viable characters" garbage has to stop. No, no it doesn't. Bringing up select single players that can do well with X and Y low tiers isn't a valid point either.

But the bottom line is: Melee is more balanced overall, yes.

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
It's the exact opposite.

This sums it up.

Melee is all about knowing the game and much, much less about knowing the characters.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Not at all true, the gap between the low tiers and high tiers in brawl substantially bigger in brawl than it is in melee. Brawl is less balanced than melee because brawl has as many very good characters as melee did (Actually fewer) but less characters that can actually win tournaments.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Not at all true, the gap between the low tiers and high tiers in brawl substantially bigger in brawl than it is in melee. Brawl is less balanced than melee because brawl has as many very good characters as melee did (Actually fewer) but less characters that can actually win tournaments.
well, character imbalance is bound to happen due to the sheer size of the roster in brawl...

but should "ability to win a tourney" be the goal of balance we look for?

For example, Pichu and Kiry in melee have like 30/70 MUs or worse across the board, whereas shiek, fox and marth each have like 6 70-30's a piece in their favor...

no characters in brawl sport MU's like this...the norm is either even(ish), or 60/40...the "pwn" mu's are rather rare...

even the mighty MK follows this pattern, with the only people he really destroys outright are Ganon, ROB and Falcon.

The real problem with Brawl is the few ****ed up characters that toss a wrench in the system...such as DDD >.>.

Overall however, i think both are about equal in balance, for one reason:

As mentioned, melee is about the gameplay, not really the characters. Beign good at the game means you can win, that said...melee has on average much more rediculous MUs than the rather tame ones found in brawl...and with so many more characters (barring some obvious exceptions) it's quite stunning Brawl doesnt have the rampant 70/30's like Melee does.

Top Bottom