• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Somebody should nerf this poster, 12/10 could not SDI

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't say Mario is top 5. He's an easy to pick up all around solid character. The only reason I'd say he's popular at tourneys is because the other characters haven't been fully realized yet. That being said, new techniques may be discovered for Mario but down the road I'd see him being a solid pocket character next to ivy just because there isn't much more to be explored with him.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Boy not only did you validly prove how good Mario is with one tournament, but you also did it in such a humble fashion that I can't help but admire your opinion and respect you as a player.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Ive always said mario was top 5, even when the popular belief was morons saying that mario had too many buffs and needed to be nerfed but was not a powerful character. Now shuffle 5 happened and was filled with mostly marios high in bracket, there was a mario or two in top 8 (above legendary players like strong bad i might add) and hbox even cpd mario when jiggs was busy being the worst character ever. And the funny thing is none of these marios are as good as i am, might as well crown me your emperor right now

Omg

for the love of god almighty...

STOP MAKING ALL OF THESE ****ING ACCOUNTS

USUX_LEGEND

Banned via Warnings
I wouldn't say Mario is top 5. He's an easy to pick up all around solid character. The only reason I'd say he's popular at tourneys is because the other characters haven't been fully realized yet. That being said, new techniques may be discovered for Mario but down the road I'd see him being a solid pocket character next to ivy just because there isn't much more to be explored with him.
How can you say theres not much to be explored with him when every mario besides me cant punish properly? Mario players have a long way to go

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Ive always said mario was top 5, even when the popular belief was morons saying that mario had too many buffs and needed to be nerfed but was not a powerful character. Now shuffle 5 happened and was filled with mostly marios high in bracket, there was a mario or two in top 8 (above legendary players like strong bad i might add) and hbox even cpd mario when jiggs was busy being the worst character ever. And the funny thing is none of these marios are as good as i am, might as well crown me your emperor right now
Isn't it high time you actually show us your Mario? How do you even expect us to take your word for it, man, with no evidence whatsoever to this day? I say go to the next regional and show us the light instead of making so many alt accounts.

Aenglaan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aenglaan
3DS FC
0559-8074-9911
Dead serious that as of right now Mewtwo is the character I see with the most untapped potential, being able to act out of teleport is so good that I don't have a word for it.
Ya know, I can probably get behind this idea. Mewtwo, while not the best character in the game by a long shot, has so much potential with levitate and attacking out of teleport. Not to mention he has really good spacing tools like his wavedash, d-tilt, b-air, shadow ball, etc. Probably the reason I play as him so much, even if I'm far better at using Link.

On a side note, I feel like Mario is really going to fall on the tier list. I don't know if it's because I've gotten better at the game or something, but Mario's offensive tools don't feel as effective as they once were.

Last edited:

USUX_LEGEND

Banned via Warnings
Isn't it high time you actually show us your Mario? How do you even expect us to take your word for it, man, with no evidence whatsoever to this day? I say go to the next regional and show us the light instead of making so many alt accounts.

Lol i manage to go to smashfests, but i cant fit a tournament into my schedule for a myriad of reasons. However Oracle will be my first victim, and since you all hold him in such a high regard itll prove everything i need it to when i beat him. However because i cant go to anything at my leisure im forced to fill the void with trashtalk and lurking smashboards. Also all the ip bans are doing is making my internet really slow, tell hylian to undo it and ill be off these forums until the day i finally beat oracle

USUX_LEGEND

Banned via Warnings
Ya know, I can probably get behind this idea. Mewtwo, while not the best character in the game by a long shot, has so much potential with levitate and attacking out of teleport. Not to mention he has really good spacing tools like his wavedash, d-tilt, b-air, shadow ball, etc. Probably the reason I play as him so much, even if I'm far better at using Link.

On a side note, I feel like Mario is really going to fall on the tier list. I don't know if it's because I've gotten better at the game or something, but Mario's offensive tools don't feel as effective as they once were.
People say the same about marth. Just because they have a niche in killing scrubs doesnt mean they cant be taken to a high level if utilized well

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Have fun with that.

Maybe all his alts are chosen specifically to tell us something.

Papa Stone

T_e Enlightenment (i think?)

RaymyFurio

USUX_LEGEND

Oracle better watch out though. I think he might mean business this time.

USUX_LEGEND

Banned via Warnings
Have fun with that.

Maybe all his alts are chosen specifically to tell us something.

Papa Stone

T_e Enlightenment (i think?)

RaymyFurio

USUX_LEGEND

Oracle better watch out though. I think he might mean business this time.
They are all imposters. I am the truth

Metazoa

Smash Cadet
So I'm watching this Samus mirror going on at Xanadu right now and I can't help but wonder...
Exactly HOW important is the Super Wavedash to Samus' game? I'm watching them and it seems like they're going for that WAY too much. Like, why not just short-hop and throw missiles or something?
Also Olimar is pretty decent, but some players need to get onstream so we can see him in action.
(maybe i'll actually go to a tournament one of these days)

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
It's not vital to her metagame overall. Two main things hold it back. It takes a bit to start up, and she can't instantly react out of it. Combine those with the fact that she has to do a very specific action to set it up (bomb obv) and it's hard to see it as effective.

You can do some cool things with it though, and it leads to some interesting edgeguards. If you slide off the stage backwards after shielding, you fling offstage quite far. This lets you do super long aerials offstage, while still facing the correct way to recover and tether back to the stage. You could also slide off facing forwards and try stuff like Ice Fair.

There are some gimmicks as well, like Double SWD, but overall it's a minor addition to her gameplay. The new crawling mechanic is quite huge for her in some MU's, and more focus should be payed attention to that

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Like damn I'll just give oracle the gas money over paypal for him to make it to one of his smashfests just to get him to stop.

Metazoa

Smash Cadet
Bray Wyatt, I find it interesting that you're a Mario main. However, I think you're needed too much in WWE to attempt to enlighten us here in Smashboards.

McD

Smash Journeyman
Mewtwo's tail is top tier, no question.
Tail Tier list:
S: Mewtwo
A: Yoshi
B: Charizard, Squirtle, Pikachu
C: Fox, Falco
D: Diddy Kong
I think that's pretty definitive.
I've been reading this thread for far to long, I never thought I would get a laugh out of it
Well done

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
... and over at SWJ2, we have JHaime taking games off of Neon's Lucas and Axe's Falco/Marth/Pikachu. One game off Lucas with Bowser, two with Captain Falcon. Beating Axe going all Bowser. Hmm.

Much low. Very tier.

XXXX1000

Smash Apprentice
Now that we've seen one tournament result, is this where we say that ZSS Bowser is the top tier everyone slept on and the next Fox Lucas-killer or is this where we say that everyone below Oro JHaime didn't know the matchup and ZSS Bowser is still trash

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord
All the Brawl characters and the Melee bottoms, IMO, are going to need a lot more exploration before we can properly confirm where they are in the meta.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
I think Olimar needs exploration. He's got a few good players using him (ex: Hungrybox) but since most people write him off as being boring and underwhelming, he's probably written off pretty quickly as a whole.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
>Olimar
>Needs Exploring
>Explores your entire backyard and cleans up your filthy littering

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
>Olimar
>Needs Exploring
>Explores your entire backyard and cleans up your filthy littering
It just occurred to me that Pikmin encourages littering. Without litter, Olimar would not have been able to secure vital technologies and would not have survived the second game.

And then you'd get a depressing journal entry about how the planet has been picked clean of treasures and Olimar is starving to death. Are you satisfied now Litter Patrol?!

MrBigstuff

Smash Apprentice
No tail compares to Mewtwo. Float Cancelled bairs are the future, I tell you. One day a player is going to win a tournament using literally just the 150th pokemon's tail, jumps, wavedash, and teleport, maybe grab.

D

Deleted member

why play a real character like charizard's tail when you can play fox's feet?

animals with diseases ftw

Aenglaan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aenglaan
3DS FC
0559-8074-9911
All the Brawl characters and the Melee bottoms, IMO, are going to need a lot more exploration before we can properly confirm where they are in the meta.
Good point.

In particular, I think Yoshi is a character that deserves a lot of attention. Sure, his recovery still kind of blows, but he seems to have a lot of potential with his egg roll cancel and improved egg throw.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
You listed two of the least hype things for Yoshi

The mother ****** can finally jump OOS now

Top Bottom