• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Armor reduced/removed in some cases, hydrograb and movement shenanigans like that removed, smashes got nerfed pretty hard except for kill power.

All this added up is a pretty hard nerf imo, just because Squirtle was a character who didn't need nerfs, and they nerfed the points that he really shouldn't have changed.
Dsmash was the only nerfed smash, and the hydrograb momentum stuff was an oversight, not purposefully removed.

Armor removal was for general metagame health and doesn't hurt squirtle too much, he just needs more precision and thought while approaching.

im not super familiar with how hydro grab stuff was changed, but again, squirtle's mobility is good enough to mitigate this a bit and i dont know about the chain grab stuff that was mentioned earlier and how it was affected, but he still can follow up on bad DI and uair and dair gives him plenty as far as racking damage and comboing goes.

losing dsmash follow ups for a wider range of percents is definitely a nerf, and i personally dont know how i feel about it yet. On one hand, a move that sucks you in and sets up easy follow up and is a wd away from coming out anywhere on stage could be dumb, but squirtle doesn't have too many overpowering options in the air so again, that change being good or bad depends on how good you perceive squirtle to be in the first place.

I gladly trade armor for fsmash knockback improvement though, now i have a grounded horizontal kill move i can use out of a read tech roll/tech in place.

How much squirtle changes bother a player seems to relate super heavily to play style.

Personally, the only noticeable difference to my playstyle has been that i dont go for dsmash into kill as much since it just doesnt work as well anymore, and i go for less upb kill finishes due to the hitbox moving in.

on the other hand, fsmash has become much more useful in a "non-parry" sorta traditional smash way and wd/wl to ftilt is still amazing and will start combos since its not feasible to be ready to properly DI every ftilt that comes. uair also still combos opponents to oblivion whenever platforms are available, especially when incorporating the hard and soft hits.
Squirtle's mobility isint enough to make up for the loss of momentum during hydrograbs. We no longer have chaingrabs with fthrow (unless they have absolutely trash di, and even then i'm pretty sure you'd have to be normal throwing), lost two amazing kill options, fthrow into usmash and fsmash (which was now possible because of the speedup) and all possible applications of hydrograb momentum to the new uthrow (which could outweigh the nerf of losing uthrow > usmash kill), but we wont know unless it gets fixed when 3.6 leaves beta.

The only real armor change that affects stuff is nair, having it bigger makes some mus easier, but now mus against Marth/Roy and possiblly other disjointed characters are worse because med armor nair was one of our very few reliable approaches out of super rar/slingjump that could consistently allow us to get in without getting slapped out of it by a fair.

Xykness

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XYKman
Because of the nado changes in 3.6, its really difficult to use it as an approach and combo tool. Before, you could zoom in with nado and rise to continue the combo. In 3.5, I would approach, rise, and land a shoryu, In this patch, its pretty much one or the other. You either stay grounded or you nado right on them and rise. The rise is also slower than last patch. I never feel safe using it anymore. If it gets shielded on ground, then its a easy punish because of endlag for a lot of characters.

Also in regards to projectiles with that, can't some characters (like Wario and Ivy) just dash attack projectiles and clank with them? What is the difference?

CORY

wut
BRoomer
I thought :fox: wasn't the best last patch. It was clearly :sheik:. :fox: had losing and even matchups.

In addition, Texas is a weaker region then both MD/VA and NJ/NY. Lunchables still can't even beat Oracle to my knowledge.

Look at Aftershock:

Lunchables autoqualified to be 1st seed from a strictly Texas area point system to a 16 man bracket. Beats a Texas player in Round 1 and then a :link2: who fought through an open bracket round 2. He got to top 5 through playing 2 matches. He then lost to iPunchKidz and Junebug (Who played 15-18 matches?).

Lunchables is good, but giving someone a top seed for winning solely in their own region is unwarranted and biased. Bracket theory would indicate he'd deserve a good seed, but top 4/6? I think not.

:018:
well, in terms of the seeding, aftershock was supposed to be a regional, not a national. it just had a crapton of out of state/region people show up, making it effectively a national.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
well, in terms of the seeding, aftershock was supposed to be a regional, not a national. it just had a crapton of out of state/region people show up, making it effectively a national.
It's hilarious that people still dont realize that Aftershock was a regional circuit between OK and Texas

didds

Smash Lord
Squirtle's mobility isint enough to make up for the loss of momentum during hydrograbs. We no longer have chaingrabs with fthrow (unless they have absolutely trash di, and even then i'm pretty sure you'd have to be normal throwing), lost two amazing kill options, fthrow into usmash and fsmash (which was now possible because of the speedup) and all possible applications of hydrograb momentum to the new uthrow (which could outweigh the nerf of losing uthrow > usmash kill), but we wont know unless it gets fixed when 3.6 leaves beta.

The only real armor change that affects stuff is nair, having it bigger makes some mus easier, but now mus against Marth/Roy and possiblly other disjointed characters are worse because med armor nair was one of our very few reliable approaches out of super rar/slingjump that could consistently allow us to get in without getting slapped out of it by a fair.
probably just an agree to disagree kind of thing, but losing followups on grab makes perfect sense to me, even if it wasn't purposeful. It's not hard for squirtle to get a grab and he already has a kill throw and the DI dependent followups off of fthrow.

I also don't agree that armored nair makes a huge difference to the sword mus, though ill admit it makes it easier for squirtles to be lazy in neutral. We have plenty of tools to go even with both roy and marth's neutral games. In fact, squirtle has more approach options than most of the cast. Not necessarily perfectly safe approach options, but that doesnt mean they arent approach options. Sure he isn't a safe marth poker and he isnt a spacie with safe shield pressure all the time, he's a commitment approacher.

He has the tools to approach anyone, but it has to be done with conviction. Yoshi and luigi are like this too a lot of the time. They can get where they need to be and put out the hitboxes they need, but its all dependent on whether or not you're analyzing and reading your opponent properly.

This is why characters like squirtle, yoshi, pika, and luigi can be so hard to peg. When the player is doing things right and they are in control, it seems like they're unstoppable sometimes, but when things are going rough, it can look like they have insurmountable limitations.

Disjoints dont kill squirtle, lingering hitboxes and high priority moves do. I'll always fear gaw and luigi more than a marth.

Squirtle still has his kill setups through ctilt, dtilt, ftilt, utilt, and he still has the mobility to land any of these moves with tricky movement. Squirtle players in general (myself included) still need to work on their micro spacing. Sometimes it seems like squirtles are so busy with shell sling/wd shenanigans that they spread their spacing too far and make reacting to approaches possible and too easy in general.

If you've ever seen axe's pika in melee, they'll be times where he barely dashes forward and then just wd's downward. He forces the opponent to make a decision without giving up space himself, thus giving him the opening without being too far to actually exploit it. Most squirtles just dont quite have these spacing fundamentals down. well dirtboy is sick from what ive seen, but we all have room to improve still. Bottomline is squirlte is a hard character that doesn't have as much of a brain dead neutral as some of the cast, but having to think more and requiring a lot more work to reach an equal level of success doesn't make a character bad or else melee pika would not be where he is on the tier list.

edit: whats important (and this isn't directed at you in particular plate) is that squirtle probably isn't hidden god or total ****. He's prolly just anotha fairly balanced mid tier like almost everyone else excluding top ten and like bottom five or something idk

edit2: I also don't necessarily think squirtle goes even with roy, just that we can match his neutral. i think roy punishes us harder and wins the mu. Marth is more evenish since his punish game is more reliant on us having bad DI. Sucks getting fthrow > tipper fsmash killed at 40 percent, but it's not a guarenteed setup either.

Last edited:

Manaconda

Smash Apprentice
What's with all this childish angst?

PMDT won't do anything to Fox's lasers because it's now a pea shooter that gets weaker with distance and is manageable, and Falco's isn't exactly on the broken side of things.

Every once in a while someone will post something like 'oh X character doesn't deserve to be good because they're not a Melee character amiriteXD? Upboats to the left!'

Do some people genuinely think that the PMDT intentionally wants to keep certain characters bad? This game is a work in progress and sometimes intentions don't turn out right.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
The thing that irks me about Luigi's downb is his initial burst momentum and the distance he can immediately gain from ground -> air. Basically the second a Luigi player realizes they're in a bad situation they'll either mash B to rise up or use the insane speed he retains to retreat completely safe against most characters.

The only change I'd suggest is to reduce grounded priority and not make it clank with practically everything

Yeah beating top players in one of the best regions in the U.S. definitely doesn't deserve top seed. Just like Fox doesn't deserve to be #1 on a tier list because nobody in PM has been winning majors with him.
That is a completely non-viable tactic. The initial movement of down B is not fast enough to be used as a panic escape option, and Luigi isn't just going to randomly rocket himself into the air where he's much worse as a character. I mean, if a Luigi is really that scared of me that he's going to put himself in a massive positional deficit then by all means go for it. The move may be silly, but not for that reason.

What's with all this childish angst?

PMDT won't do anything to Fox's lasers because it's now a pea shooter that gets weaker with distance and is manageable, and Falco's isn't exactly on the broken side of things.

Every once in a while someone will post something like 'oh X character doesn't deserve to be good because they're not a Melee character amiriteXD? Upboats to the left!'

Do some people genuinely think that the PMDT intentionally wants to keep certain characters bad? This game is a work in progress and sometimes intentions don't turn out right.
Are... Are you kidding me? Fox's lasers lost damage but they still perform the same purpose as before by allowing him to force the opponent to act in neutral and getting literally risk free damage. And you think Falco's lasers aren't that good? They control approaches and neutral to an insane degree as well. It was never about the damage but that they are free low-lag low-commitment hitboxes that control neutral. Get the hell out of here. Lasers are part of what allow spacies to dictate the entire neutral game. But I guess that's mediocre at best.

Lulz.

Last edited:

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
Lunchables got first seed because it was a circuit and he got the most points because he does incredibly well at IaB. Its not a hard concept to understand...

Boiko

:drshrug:
Lunchables got first seed because it was a circuit and he got the most points because he does incredibly well at IaB. Its not a hard concept to understand...
The point he's making is that all of the qualifiers were easily accessible to Lunchables and the rest of Texas, allowing them to have inflated scores going in when compared to others coming from different regions such as SoCal or MD/VA.

I already know that it was a circuit designed for that specific geographic area, btw, so no need to inform me. I'm just stating the point that I believe Joe was trying to make.

Btw, anyone else hate qualifiers? I hate qualifiers..

Manaconda

Smash Apprentice
That is a completely non-viable tactic. The initial movement of down B is not fast enough to be used as a panic escape option, and Luigi isn't just going to randomly rocket himself into the air where he's much worse as a character. I mean, if a Luigi is really that scared of me that he's going to put himself in a massive positional deficit then by all means go for it. The move may be silly, but not for that reason.

Are... Are you kidding me? Fox's lasers lost damage but they still perform the same purpose as before by allowing him to force the opponent to act in neutral and getting literally risk free damage. And you think Falco's lasers aren't that good? They control approaches and neutral to an insane degree as well. It was never about the damage but that they are free low-lag low-commitment hitboxes that control neutral. Get the hell out of here. Lasers are part of what allow spacies to dictate the entire neutral game. But I guess that's mediocre at best.

Lulz.
No, I'm not kidding you. You're exaggerating what I said. I never said they aren't that good or that they're mediocre, I said that they're more manageable now. I do think they're still good.

Fox's do about a third of the damage they do in Melee at far distances, and distances in which they do more than 1% at a time are those where they aren't as safe to use, and then Fox actually has to engage you. And even though they autocancel he still has to waste some time in their air shooting a projectile you can just run through. Yes I'm aware it isn't about the damage and it's about getting you to approach. Characters with projectiles tend to be able to do that.

And Falco's lasers are good too, I just don't think they're broken. Their damage decays with distance too, and he only shoots one at a time. And now as an approach, instead of having invincibility on his frame 1 hitbox after landing and trying to get you to flinch with his laser, he's more vunerable to many characters OOS options.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Does Luigi's down B still clank with Marth's F-Smash? I remember it clanking.

That stuff was dumb.
It's dependant on which part you hit with. If you hit with the tip it shouldn't clank unless Down B does like.. 11%+ or something? Which may be the case idk. I know it clanks with fireballs.

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
Why does this character have a special attribute/quality/move that is unique and in no way broken but is mildly annoying during gameplay?? This HURTS my sensibilities! THIS IS NOT MUH MELEE! JANK ALERT! JANK ALERT! THIS IS NOT A DRILL! PREPARE THE NERFTWEAKS TO REMOVE JANK, STAT!

i am being TRIGGERED!!
OO EE OO A A TING TANG WALLA WALLA BING BANG

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
Eh, still a weird claim to make but whatever. On the topic of qualifiers, as a viewer I loved how MLG Anaheim did it. Seems kinda lame the way it was done at Aftershock, but that's due to not being able to have qualifiers in every region.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The point he's making is that all of the qualifiers were easily accessible to Lunchables and the rest of Texas, allowing them to have inflated scores going in when compared to others coming from different regions such as SoCal or MD/VA.

I already know that it was a circuit designed for that specific geographic area, btw, so no need to inform me. I'm just stating the point that I believe Joe was trying to make.

Btw, anyone else hate qualifiers? I hate qualifiers..
Yeah it's great how people are complaining about Aftershock's system 3 months later. Come beat us at LTC3/Paragon and "expose" us I guess.

Sounds like Joe wants to money match Lunchables at Paragon tho. How much you puttin down son?

Last edited:

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Why does this character have a special attribute/quality/move that is unique and in no way broken but is mildly annoying during gameplay?? This HURTS my sensibilities! THIS IS NOT MUH MELEE! JANK ALERT! JANK ALERT! THIS IS NOT A DRILL! PREPARE THE NERFTWEAKS TO REMOVE JANK, STAT!

i am being TRIGGERED!!
Don't be an imbecile. Like bait is irritating. What are you, DMG? <_<

Last edited:

Sardonyx

星黄泉

i am being TRIGGERED!!
Tbh this sounds like people when they fight Zelda. Like omg she can fight back now! BROKEN.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Zelda's not even good. It has nothing to do with her being able to fight back, it has to do with people implanting their faces into her heel and wondering why they're exploding. It's about player inability rather than character ability.

My favorite part is when people say Din's is stupid because she can just camp. It's so adorable.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I absolutely think that they do. their justification is probably that they will have to add "bad design" in order for someone to be good. if they want to keep some characters unique traits, then they will always be bad

Last edited:

Zoa

Smash Ace
Just want to touch on the buffer charge cancel involving ASC. As a Lucario user you really don't want to ever charge AS fully, or even to a near full charge. Charging fully removes the ability to ASC until you're forced to commit and throw out the AS. Charging AS actually causes it to lose distance and travel speed. In fact it's the only chargeable projectile I can think of off the top of my head that actually takes a hit when charged. With the buffer cancel allowing someone to ASC perfectly every time you needn't worry about either of those two existing issues. However I don't think Lucario should be the sole exception with the ability to buffer charge cancels. Give it to the others. He just benefits from it more than anyone else to my knowledge.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
There's a cutoff. Prof's on the other side with Sethlon, June and Lunch. Hey if you do beat him power to ya but I don't think it's likely at all. There's something about certain fighting styles that just have a signature of superiority and you don't have it. Still boggles my mind that anyone thought Rolex had a chance in hell v/s Prof way back when. People bet actual money on Rolex. What.

Yeah, I'm kind of a fanboy, but Pro has the movement and the punishment that deserves the praise. You don't.

Edit: If this ruffles your feathers too much, consider that I don't even think Ally is up there with the other players I mentioned.
To jump back a bit.

Getting a hit on Snake safely is probably one of the hardest things to do in the match-up. Snake doesn't have much of a presence in the sense that "he'll get ya!" but is very much a "come get me" and that's scary.
Diddy, at the other end, probably has some of the most free-hit opportunities in the game naturally. DDing with a Nana in hand is like Falcon presence on the stage, but incredibly difficult to approach properly (which Snake can't) and difficult to stop the Diddy from making the appropriate maneuver to GET that hit. Which is REALLY a big deal against Snake. Free hits are hard to get on him...
On the other topic here, if Ally went Ike against Prof I could totally see this as the expected out-come. I consider Ike the 'bane' of Snake in this game. Not even that it's his 'hardest' match-up but I straight up don't like to play it from either side. Ike has to simplify his game, and I just wanna do cool **** all day. But from Snakes end...
How the heck do you deal with Ike as Snake?

A good Diddy won't have the punish or movement that a good Snake has either, very different looking characters. Obviously, but still worth noting.
I'd like to see the match-up at an end-game level though. I'm know Prof can play out-of-his-field very well, and I'd love to see him do that more WITH Snake now that his Snake is so functionally strong at a foundation. Though he never really does (or has to) given Snake's bizarre niche of game-plan and counter-play. Diddy is the same brand. Smash of a particular kind, but then littered further with quirks so specific to him that it barely fits the generic smash-match.

Other topic
Luigi is a 3.02 calibur character. In the sense that he's a good character + has jank. Mewtwo in 3.02 was good, then had 'jank' thrown on top. Things that could be easily abused to such an extent that the goodness of the character never even had to be fleshed out, he was like good with bonus-goodness.
The general non-interaction stuff like his permanent-extender tail range and TP-H-SB campy pace-control gone, he's STILL a good character. Sure, he would go down a few spots on a 'tier list' with this gone, but as you can tell, he's GOOD.
Luigi is good, B moves/wack recovery and KOs/etc aside, and yet he ALSO has those tools. Those are the bonus. He doesn't need any of them to be good, but he has them. Sure he'd be lower on a 'tier list' with them gone, but he's good underneath. He was a 3.02 character in 2.1, and he's still in that spot today.

Yeah Down-B clanks with Marth F-Smashes, it seems to work more in his favor in Melee for Luigi but I'm not sure what the mechanics behind it are for that.

Other topic
@ PlateProp PlateProp , @ didds didds covered enough on another side of the Squirtle thing that I don't really have to, but I'll comment anyway.
If you consider Squirtle to have a tough time with Marth or Fox, then I strongly suggest you look at the match-ups differently and figure something else out. (I just remembered that the Fox tech-chase thing was the last thing you directed at me that I thought was strange lol)
N-Air shouldn't be a tool you're using to deal with Marth F-Airs. Don't jump into that stuff, you don't have to, you're freaking fast.
HE has to come to YOU.
Play to that.^ edit: I had a long discussion with anther on the forums in the Pika section that covered this well, it applies here too and might be worth looking at, I know I've linked it in this thread before for similar reasons.

You're threatening at a much greater distance, his 'F-Air/D-Tilt/whatever walls' are exactly that, to DEFEND against YOU. Just sit there. Your opportunities will come.
I also suggest aiming more for WD on-the-spot > Bubble and WD > shield feints and WD > F-Tilt/Crawl-A/etc approaches rather than try to close space head-on with aerials or raw-approaches that lead to combos. Mess with him, interact with him on Squirtle terms AKA weird-terms for Marth, not Marth-terms.
Same for Fox. Mess his stuff up, don't be linear, the match-up is tough for everyone because Fox, but the match-up is fine.

I forgot about that whole OTHER topic though.
Everyone loses to CC and Shields.
Except Spacies and Swordies.
Everyone loses to Spacies and Swordies.
Mewtwo in 3.02 even loses to spacies and swordies.
Luigi must too.
Squirtle must for sure because more stubby.

Snake topic...

People complain about Snake's slow-*** tranq being intangible while Falco's lasers are 10x better and actually interupt neutrals...
Very different tools. Not really comparable. Though you proved a different point than you intended I think.

Falco is centered on lasers, shine, and other hard hit-boxes to choke-out and lock-down opponents.
Snake is centered on grabs, C4, and other close-control tools to pressure and perma-trap opponents.
Both have counter-play.
Against Falco it's often defensive maneuvers in the form of movements while looking through a pin-hole in his hit-box coverage as he tries to choke you out.
Against Snake it's often keeping a distance and attrition battles to not lose momentum while constantly resetting even mid-combo so you don't get choked-in
Falco doesn't need a Shiek D-Throw to tech-chase everyone given his game-plan.
Snake doesn't need a ZSS 3.02 stun-gun (the Tranq is essentially dash-cancellable lol) that only spreads his choked-in range to silly levels while constantly having counter-play removed from it.
Might as well make Falco's lasers NOT PS-able/reflectable at all in the same breath, or give his shine crazy shield stun.
Or better yet, bring the intangibility back to ZSS blasters.
Or just make Pika intangible whenever he's using electricity. That's gotta be canon somehow.
Luigi got less consistency this patch (PM loves RNG right?) so it's in the same ball-park.

I'm not saying I don't like the stuff, but it really makes no sense.

Lulz.
This isn't really for you but for the idea of Luigi's Down-B as an escape.
It's one of the best tools he has for getting out of air-to-ground situations. As in, he's landing either out of a juggle, or about to fall into one (think landing on a Marth U-Tilt), and simply Down-Bing to stall for a moment to avoid the attack and lead into a combo.
There's nothing like the TINY TINY TINY TINY TINY things making a huge difference.
Hence didds mentions things like Squirtle WDing on the spot, or how Axe/Hax/etc did it for ages in Melee before it caught on.
Crap worked for me to beat m2k in my only Melee MM with him in like 2010, I'm sure the same thing works with the character in PM in 2015 given how busted he is now.
The meta-game of smash in general basically comes down to these things, and that type of Down-B combo-breaker is no joke.

Micro-spacing is sexy like that.

I mean bad character.
Bad bad character.
Everyone loses to swordies and spacies and shields and ccs.

Last edited:

1FD

Smash Ace
mus against Marth/Roy and possiblly other disjointed characters are worse
the sword mus
spacie with safe shield pressure all the time
Sucks getting fthrow > tipper fsmash killed at 40 percent
PMDT won't do anything to Fox's lasers
Falco
Fox's lasers perform the same purpose as before by allowing him to force the opponent to act in neutral and getting literally risk free damage.
Falco's lasers control approaches and neutral to an insane degree as well.
Marth's F-Smash?
That stuff was dumb.
Fox
Falco's lasers are good
How the heck do you deal with Ike?
Marth or Fox
Everyone loses to Spacies and Swordies.
loses to spacies and swordies.
Everyone loses to swordies and spacies and shields and ccs.
Falco's lasers are 10x better and actually interupt neutrals...
01000110 01101111 01111000
I got an idea for a project.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
am I? :drsad:

and to actually add to this thread but to divert it slightly, did you guys know that MK's dash attack still clashes with aerials? if you want to stay on the ground and punish a landing, just dash attack. you'll never take damage (unless the hitbox is transcendent?)

let's add that quirk to MK's already impressive punish game
:metaknight: - "Give me a shine and I'll be fine"
"and one of those dive-kick thingies, ya one of them too."

I think Peach just got her beam-sword attacks nerfed too
Forever bottom tier spaceless swordless princess

Last edited:

D e l t a

That one guy who does the thing with a camera.
On the other topic here, if Ally went Ike against Prof I could totally see this as the expected out-come. I consider Ike the 'bane' of Snake in this game. Not even that it's his 'hardest' match-up but I straight up don't like to play it from either side. Ike has to simplify his game, and I just wanna do cool **** all day. But from Snakes end...
How the heck do you deal with Ike as Snake?
https://youtube.com/watch?v=cETue457khE

Same matchup will essentially occur in 3.6 with both characters practically untouched in their overall game play and design mechanics.

Ike gives snake trouble, but only if they're reliant on quick draw and linear shenanigans. Ike has to out space Snake's explosions and react to his option selects. Being wary of the tranq, mines, and C4 while perfectly spacing Nairs & Fairs on shield to avoid nades will play the biggest role in the neutral. Capitalizing off grabs & offstage situations is how Ike can body Snake. Snake works around Ike by precisely laying traps and explosions that restrict his movement all the while tacking on chip damage and getting little punishes that lead into a gimp or primarily a C4 kill setup.

Ike has to simplify his game, and I just wanna do cool **** all day.
Implying that Ike's gameplay is complex in the first place...

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
@ PlateProp PlateProp , @ didds didds covered enough on another side of the Squirtle thing that I don't really have to, but I'll comment anyway.
If you consider Squirtle to have a tough time with Marth or Fox, then I strongly suggest you look at the match-ups differently and figure something else out. (I just remembered that the Fox tech-chase thing was the last thing you directed at me that I thought was strange lol)
N-Air shouldn't be a tool you're using to deal with Marth F-Airs. Don't jump into that stuff, you don't have to, you're freaking fast.
HE has to come to YOU.
Play to that.^ edit: I had a long discussion with anther on the forums in the Pika section that covered this well, it applies here too and might be worth looking at, I know I've linked it in this thread before for similar reasons.

You're threatening at a much greater distance, his 'F-Air/D-Tilt/whatever walls' are exactly that, to DEFEND against YOU. Just sit there. Your opportunities will come.
I also suggest aiming more for WD on-the-spot > Bubble and WD > shield feints and WD > F-Tilt/Crawl-A/etc approaches rather than try to close space head-on with aerials or raw-approaches that lead to combos. Mess with him, interact with him on Squirtle terms AKA weird-terms for Marth, not Marth-terms.
Same for Fox. Mess his stuff up, don't be linear, the match-up is tough for everyone because Fox, but the match-up is fine.
Marth doesn't have to approach Squirtle at all, Squirtle has nothing that can damage marth longer than he can reach except a perfectly spaced tipper grounded bubble. And even then, because bubble is transcendant, Squirtle will still often be hit out of it. Yeah you can move around all you want, but that doesnt change the fact that all it takes is a patient playstyle on the Marth's part to deal with it. You're oversimplifying things way too much, and put too much stock in that Squirtle can be "weird". You aren't considering the fact that people adapt and learn as they play games if they're worth their salt.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
https://youtube.com/watch?v=cETue457khE

Same matchup will essentially occur in 3.6 with both characters practically untouched in their overall game play and design mechanics.

Ike gives snake trouble, but only if they're reliant on quick draw and linear shenanigans. Ike has to out space Snake's explosions and react to his option selects. Being wary of the tranq, mines, and C4 while perfectly spacing Nairs & Fairs on shield to avoid nades will play the biggest role in the neutral. Capitalizing off grabs & offstage situations is how Ike can body Snake. Snake works around Ike by precisely laying traps and explosions that restrict his movement all the while tacking on chip damage and getting little punishes that lead into a gimp or primarily a C4 kill setup.

Implying that Ike's gameplay is complex in the first place...
Even watching that makes me sadface for Snake. There was so much more Ike could've have done so observably (edge-game diving low to hit him when recovering low, or just grabbing the ledges for free hits rather than QD wall-jumping onto the stage for no real reason that could've easily been at least 3 free earlier stocks in the set, or fading QD grabs [which weren't done at all] off the DJs above Snake instead of landing directly on obviously shields from bad positions, etc etc)
Where from Snakes end, I don't even know what to look for.
Aside from obviously some more on-point punishes or reads and just better adjustment in general (which we all know prof is capable of and would likely do next time they played) the general game-plan doesn't have any tools missing from there, prof is so on-point with using his full kit (aside from VERY few things)
Seems like Crawling a crap-load sure helps, Ike has a lot of slower aerial maneuvers too, especially off the DJ F-Airs and stuff he was doing. I bet some quick B > chuck instant grenade tosses could have been clipped by feinted aerials and blown Ike up a lot throughout that, though that's temporary until Ike transitions to fading QD mixes. hmmmm

Marth doesn't have to approach Squirtle at all, Squirtle has nothing that can damage marth longer than he can reach except a perfectly spaced tipper grounded bubble. And even then, because bubble is transcendant, Squirtle will still often be hit out of it. Yeah you can move around all you want, but that doesnt change the fact that all it takes is a patient playstyle on the Marth's part to deal with it. You're oversimplifying things way too much, and put too much stock in that Squirtle can be "weird". You aren't considering the fact that people adapt and learn as they play games if they're worth their salt.
Really sounds like you're the one simplifying things with the whole 'range means all' thing and not actually paying attention to what spacing is.
Squirtles WD > any 'perfectly spaced move' you could possibly name in the game. So far all of these points have been quite irrelevant. At least the punish of grabs thing is mildly relevant.

You ever seen a Squirtle hit Marth with a move other than a perfectly spaced bubble or armor'd N-Air?
Say... a Jab, Crawl-A, Grab, or F-tilt, straight out of neutral for examples?

Squirtle can get in.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Really sounds like you're the one simplifying things with the whole 'range means all' thing and not actually paying attention to what spacing is.
Squirtles WD > any 'perfectly spaced move' you could possibly name in the game. So far all of these points have been quite irrelevant. At least the punish of grabs thing is mildly relevant.

You ever seen a Squirtle hit Marth with a move other than a perfectly spaced bubble or armor'd N-Air?
Say... a Jab, Crawl-A, Grab, or F-tilt, straight out of neutral for examples?

Squirtle can get in.
I never said he couldnt. Just that he lost one of his best approaches in the mu.

Perfectly spacing bubble isnt like spacing a tipper on marh where you have an entire hitbubble, you literally have to hit with the bare minimum required for the hitbox to take effect and outspace marth.

You talk like every opponent anyone will ever play is a complete dumbass. Have you ever played anyone that was half decent at the game? Because you act like an opponent is just gonna stand there with their thumb up their ass the moment their attack gets dodged or outspaced.

Last edited:

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
I absolutely think that they do. their justification is probably that they will have to add "bad design" in order for someone to be good. if they want to keep some characters unique traits, then they will always be bad
I'd make a comment on how Puff is and forever will be the Dan of this game, but Puff actually has some good matchups so

jtm94

Smash Lord
Fox can't out range Marth, he obviously loses. This logic is not founded on anything. It's the same stuff Sonic players spew about losing to "lasting or disjointed hitboxes."

Squirtle didn't lose an approach that now makes him bad, it was just a free approach at any percent where the armor wouldn't break. Because of that you couldn't even try to contest it because obviously they would lose so it forces your opponent to defend an otherwise incredibly bold/unsafe aerial.

Last edited:

Rachman

be water my friend
Falcon doesn't have a hitbox that directly beats marth disjoint clearly the match up is free for marth

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Interesting that Wario is the posterboy for good design.

I think bite to waft is one of the worst designed things left in the game. Last night at SG, I saw him bite throw mixup that (unreactable) combo into waft, which killed Ganon into the right blastzone at 90% when started from the left side of PS2. I have no idea what percentages he can reliably kill people of other weight classes with that move but I'd be worried to find out.

I also saw Gflux disputing the idea that DDD's dair was nerfed super bad. Dude, I've been SDIing out of Apollo's dair combos without even meaning to. That move used to threaten (everyone below including dash dancers), combo into fair, lead to off stage DI mixups, and semispike with a ton of consistency.It does maybe that last thing now. Its a hollow version of its old self.

More functionally, why did the PMDT feel the need to nerfing characters like DDD, Ganon, and Yoshi while semi buffing/barely touching Wario, Ike, GnW and Roy, meanwhile not addressing DK, Jiggs, and ultra buffing Snake?

This patch made some right moves. It nerfed Fox/Sheik/Lucario, which was needed. Although I will argue they overnerfed Lucario when all they needed to do was double down on creating weaknesses rather than eliminating his strengths and cool meta that his players were developing. They made some good moves like buffing Metaknight, Ness, ICs, Olimar.

But overall, 3.6 is an immensely confused patch. Certainly the most directionless patch of any that has come out of this game. I'm not saying its a worse game than 3.5, because I don't believe that. I think 3.6 is better than 3.5. But foundationally, this patch from outside appearances looks like the PMDT never had an internal discussion of what they were going for. Maybe they did--I'm not part of the group. But its strange when characters/mechanics that are agreed upon to be pretty Toxic (GnW recovery/combo escape fluidity, Wario's bite to waft, Ike's hitboxes on his recovery and the potent QuickDraw mixups) were unaddressed, things that the PMDT thought would be toxic that no one else was complaining about were addressed (DDD's dair, Ganon's nair), and characters that were desperate for something were left waiting for another day (Jiggs, DK).

I know you can't get everything you want, but at least I could understand what the PMDT was going for with 3.02 2.6, 2.5, etc. This one is just ****ing wild. I don't know what to expect when I click on anyones changelog.

EDIT:

I just want to say my Roy comments aren't rooted in a ton of 3.5 or 3.6 Roy experience. I simply see in the patch notes that his recovery matches closer to Melee and dtilt has lowered BKB, so in theory i'm not sure how much he was changed. But he was pretty well understood to be top 5 or 6 in the game last patch at least in the opinion of most top players i surveyed. I don't think he was touched as aggressively as Fox, Shiek, Toon link or Lucario.

Last edited:

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
I never said he couldnt. Just that he lost one of his best approaches in the mu.

Perfectly spacing bubble isnt like spacing a tipper on marh where you have an entire hitbubble, you literally have to hit with the bare minimum required for the hitbox to take effect and outspace marth.

You talk like every opponent anyone will ever play is a complete *******. Have you ever played anyone that was half decent at the game? Because you act like an opponent is just gonna stand there with their thumb up their *** the moment their attack gets dodged or outspaced.
You just said you lost an approach based on the idea that you now have to rely on better decision making and spacing, which a bigger hit-box accommodates, RATHER than the opponent trying to swat at something they can't swat, and getting hit for it, as well as implying that them screwing up like this will be a consistent thing you can use to your advantage in approaching.
Seriously, ever post you've had is directing you to look in a mirror when it comes to your bizarre... assumtions and accusations. From Fox to Marth so far. lol

Squirtle can still N-Air, and it's better in the sense that it's all on Squirtle doing well to hit the Marth without running into things, rather than Marth messing up and getting hit.
See how that works?

You talk like every opponent anyone will ever play is a complete *******. Have you ever played anyone that was half decent at the game? Because you act like an opponent is just gonna stand there with their thumb up their *** the moment their attack gets dodged or outspaced.
You're doing it to yourself again.

WD F-Tilt for days, it'll work a lot better than any aerial, bubble, or hydro-tech-squirt-bomb-spin ever will.

Agreed, NZA, there are some really bizarre and currently observably unwarranted changes in this patch that going in the opposite direction.
More RNG for Luigi and some senseless intangible projectiles surrounded by things like Ike's Side-B finally having decent end-lag and Grab intangibility fixed on weird moves like ASC and Yoshi.
Good ideas mixed with some bleh.

Last edited:

steelguttey

mei is bei
another thing thats left unnoticed in this patch in regards to rng is that olimar still has it. theres way to many things in this game that every character has but olimar doesnt because of olimar. grab armor, a projectile that doesnt lose to every other projectile (this isnt an exageration, side b loses to lasers) and most importantly a good recovery. im glad the tether is gone but the jetpack is ****. barely sweetspots, angling it doesnt do much, slow, easy to hit him out of and many other problems. its like they gave him stuff that is ridiculous like side b and fair as an excuse to keep the stuff that has held him back as a character for so long. its so frustrating patch after patch not seeing things like grab armor bein fixed. the worst part is when asked pmdt members just use the excuse that the pikmin is grabbing and not olimar. i shouldnt have to explain how dumb that is.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
God damnit JCaesar
A long time ago he mentioned ROB's boost fair->jab being done perfectly beating grabs by 1 frame, saying that boost->fair was -3 on shield, making his 3 frame jab hit frame 6 after shield stun. But now I do the math and find out boost->fair has 7 frames shield stun, meaning with it's current 9 frames landing lag, it's -2 on shield. Y'all best be ready for the boost->fair->utilt now.
another thing thats left unnoticed in this patch in regards to rng is that olimar still has it. theres way to many things in this game that every character has but olimar doesnt because of olimar. grab armor, a projectile that doesnt lose to every other projectile (this isnt an exageration, side b loses to lasers) and most importantly a good recovery. im glad the tether is gone but the jetpack is ****. barely sweetspots, angling it doesnt do much, slow, easy to hit him out of and many other problems. its like they gave him stuff that is ridiculous like side b and fair as an excuse to keep the stuff that has held him back as a character for so long. its so frustrating patch after patch not seeing things like grab armor bein fixed. the worst part is when asked pmdt members just use the excuse that the pikmin is grabbing and not olimar. i shouldnt have to explain how dumb that is.
also olimar not getting grab armor makes sense when the entire area of the grab is disjointed, and other than being on the slower end of typical grabs, functions like a typical grab and not a tether grab. Olimar also being small kinda reduces the effect of no grab armor, too.
Personally I think we should just give attacks priority over grabs, grabs are already kinda broken in smash. And finally, my -2 boost->fair on shield will be a true frame trap into dsmash instead of just 1 frame short.

Last edited:

steelguttey

mei is bei
it works very similarly to a tether grab and im willing to have lingering hitboxes taken out for a mechanic that other people have.

but your idea is nice, grab armor is dumb anyway. its just annoying when i dont have it because it is what it is

nimigoha

Smash Ace
What's the consensus on Metaknight? I've been playing him a lot now in 3.6 and I really love him. Dtilt is sweet, Dair is sweet, Dthrow is more consistent, and of course weight increase is awesome. 3.5 MK just felt kinda empty, now he feels like a full character.

ZSS, Pit, ICs, Olimar, and of course Jigglypuff all feel way better.

Don't love the Jetpack though, sweetspotting it is really weird. Also miss being able to snap to the ledge for edgeguards with the tether, which I felt had a pretty strong option in Bair.

Top Bottom