• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
So what's the general consensus on Zelda, besides the fact that she's annoying as hell to fight with certain characters?
I personally think she's a fairly mediocre character in context of PM's balance, but not unviable by any means. She's got a lot of tools to work with, but her biggest weaknesses remain. She dies early and her lack of mobility is tough to overcome against most of the better characters.

D

Deleted member

zelda is pretty simple tbh. she camps you, and you have to camp her. a breach of contract on either side is basically a loss.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Ivy needs her old Razor Leaf back, because it's too damn slow for it to work as a full screen projectile. I can understand if they wanted to make it less spammy, but the problem with the current fix is that you have no real way of knowing if it's OK to throw another leaf since you can't see if the first leaf is still on stage or not once it passes the screen outside your field of vision. And since it adheres to the "only one leaf on stage at a time" rule, you just end up guessing a lot and throwing blanks.

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
I guess you have to approach with a more tactical approach. I'm sure a lot of Ivy players don't like this at all, but I can guarantee there's an approach to it to make it a more spontaneous move (to the opponent I mean) than anything. That's how I'd use it anyways since it's not really the best projectile ever. It could make for somewhat decent surprises and possible setbacks.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
The leaf is out for 120 frames; surely you can get used to counting to 2. Snake players count for grenades; it's not all that strange.

It's not supposed to be for dealing damage; it is almost entirely for controlling space and discouraging opponents' dashdance camping.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Ivy needs her old Razor Leaf back, because it's too damn slow for it to work as a full screen projectile. I can understand if they wanted to make it less spammy, but the problem with the current fix is that you have no real way of knowing if it's OK to throw another leaf since you can't see if the first leaf is still on stage or not once it passes the screen outside your field of vision. And since it adheres to the "only one leaf on stage at a time" rule, you just end up guessing a lot and throwing blanks.
Yeah, it'd be awful if people had to learn how to play a character.

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Hate that leaf, unless im the person spawning it then its fine; same goes for everyone else

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
Like I'm saying, spontaneity and randomness can work. At least until your opponent understands what you're doing. Then you'll actually have to devise a REAL strategy for once.

theindievisual

Smash Rookie
zelda wins every game at my house
granted we're a bunch of noobs but still
all her moves stay out too long, i think she's too strong at a noob level (neutralB usmash spam is ridiculous for its ease)

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
yo metaknight's moves are pretty good
Ay Scythe, have you ever really, met a knight? :troll:

zelda wins every game at my house
granted we're a bunch of noobs but still
all her moves stay out too long, i think she's too strong at a noob level (neutralB usmash spam is ridiculous for its ease)
And Zelda (unless you're Cosmo) is not the best to use, even at a noob level. You'd expect she'd be even harder to use and cause more losses overall. I want to see videos of this.

Minor Pandemic

Smash Apprentice
I think his point is that Zelda excels at beating players with low skill level/players who are new to the game. Bad players tend to: approach linearly and predictably, recover linearly, not space properly. A bad player playing Zelda tends to: spam Upsmash when someone is above them, spam fsmash when someone runs at them, use neutralB when scared, throw tons of sideB when the opponent isn't near them.

What you end up with, in the realm of bad/new players, is Zelda standing around mindlessly stuffing bad approaches and spacing, then spamming projectiles until their opponent approaches again. This is the reason that many newer players tend to think Zelda is very strong.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I think his point is that Zelda excels at beating players with low skill level/players who are new to the game. Bad players tend to: approach linearly and predictably, recover linearly, not space properly. A bad player playing Zelda tends to: spam Upsmash when someone is above them, spam fsmash when someone runs at them, use neutralB when scared, throw tons of sideB when the opponent isn't near them.

What you end up with, in the realm of bad/new players, is Zelda standing around mindlessly stuffing bad approaches and spacing, then spamming projectiles until their opponent approaches again. This is the reason that many newer players tend to think Zelda is very strong.
The problem with Zelda's design is it still feels more like Project B and less like Project M. Playing for the time-out is a rarity in Melee. It's nearly impossible in Most MU and that game isn't 1/2 as balanced as PM is so far in terms of the overall viability of the characters.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Again playing for the timeout really isn't what makes zelda such a chore. Plenty of characters besides her stretch the timer. There's a good reason why the timer was made to be 8 minutes in the first place, and its because not all matches are Falcon dittos. Zelda's gameplay is what makes her wholly unappealing, whether it lasted 2 minutes of getting U-smash juggled to 7 minutes getting pushed out.

Minor Pandemic

Smash Apprentice
The problem with Zelda's design is it still feels more like Project B and less like Project M. Playing for the time-out is a rarity in Melee. It's nearly impossible in Most MU and that game isn't 1/2 as balanced as PM is so far in terms of the overall viability of the characters.
I didn't mean to be arguing for or against Zelda's design and I'm sorry if I came off that way. I was only trying to articulate why Zelda seems so good to new or bad players. I agree with you

JTsm

Smash Master
Just a list made in 10 minutes without too much thought
#getsderailedanyways:denzel:

Gay

Fox
Falco
Sheik
Marth

Gay enough

Peach
Ike
Mario
Lucario
Diddy
Pit
Wolf
Snake
Wario

Bicurious

Lucas
Zero SuitSamus
Link
R.O.B.
Ness
Ganondorf
Sonic
DonkeyKong
Falcon

You straight dawg :denzel:
Jigglypuff
Ivysaur
Bowser
DonkeyKong
Pikachu
Squirtle
Luigi
Game and Watch
DeDeDe
Charizard
Zelda
Toon Link

The_NZA

Smash Lord
whether it is being used as a relative positive or negative is questionable. The fact is, it is harkening to a literal or ironic take on the idea that "gay" inherently means something other than "having the same sexual/romantic preference". Anyone trying to push the idea that gay means anything other than 1. a dude into a dude, 2. a chick into a chick, 3. elation is playing into the problem.

Oniperson

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I'm gonna have to say that it was straight hilarious. Keep it up JTsm. You're way with words will be unrivaled:)

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
@ zelda talk:
I don't know what you guys are talking about. Zelda is fantastic. Her Down B is one of the best moves in the entire game by far.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
whether it is being used as a relative positive or negative is questionable. The fact is, it is harkening to a literal or ironic take on the idea that "gay" inherently means something other than "having the same sexual/romantic preference". Anyone trying to push the idea that gay means anything other than 1. a dude into a dude, 2. a chick into a chick, 3. elation is playing into the problem.
Chill out. Gay has meant happiness way longer than it has had any relevance to sexual orientation. People nitpicking words and trying to be offended by everything are way worse than any harm words could cause.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Chill out. Gay has meant happiness way longer than it has had any relevance to sexual orientation. People nitpicking words and trying to be offended by everything are way worse than any harm words could cause.

I have a hard time believing people who are gay and who hate it when people use gay to mean stupid would agree with your ridiculous statement that obviously reeks of hetero-privilege. It's not about being sensitive: its about being mature and providing a common courtesy not to turn a word that people ascribe to their identities as inherently good or bad.

And SpiderMad, your cute verbal acrobatics doesn't make the point any less valid. Fact: Gay means happy. Fact: Gay means homosexual.
You can actively try and be a part of a culture that makes Gay mean bad/stupid/dumb, but why would you want to be? And if you are a part of it, then you are partaking in inventing a world that makes Gay people feel alienated. That is definitionally homophobic, so don't treat me like I'm the bad guy when people in this topic (and community) would like to persist in transforming gay to mean dumb/stupid.

Oniperson

Smash Cadet
Can we quit arguing semantics and talk about how good certain characters would do in relation to each other in a tournament setting? Please?:)

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Can we quit arguing semantics and talk about how good certain characters would do in relation to each other in a tournament setting? Please?:)
Characters do as well as the person playing as them in a tournament setting. Tournament results and expectations shouldn't have weight on placement, else Fox and Bowser would look far and away unbeatable.

We can sort of look at Melee results NOW, this many years down the line, only to reenforce the claim that the characters are viable or not, but it's obvious at a GLANCE, that characters like Roy are far less usable than, say, Sheik. Melee has been around long enough to be able to say what does and doesn't work, and the tournament results reflect the things that work, not the other way around.

It's much more productive to talk about how well certain characters do in relation to each other in those matchups as well as compared to the rest of the cast in those matchups.

Like how Toon Link does well in matchups that other characters also do well in, but does poorly in other matchups; a fault others don't have. Oh, he beats Jigglypuff and Peach? BRB killing with DK at 60 off a grab.

Top Bottom