• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
MK's solid fundamentals stem from ground traits though. Having a good dash/run opens up the game for him. MK is at his best facing most things from the ground, not flailing around in the air with Fairs and Dairs and whatever people are doing.
Okay, but if that's what you meant, it should have been what you said instead of "MK should not be jumping around very much."

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Wolf probably, as even a bad spacie is really stretching the definition of bad.
I don't know enough about Link to really comment, but my gut says somewhere above average is right.

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
I've decided to come up with a tier list for PM:

Top Tier:
Fox
Falco

Middle Tier:
Those guys

Low Tier:
Shut up

Please, do us a favor people and back your reasons up. Thank you.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I think that PM is so well balanced that we can't actually have tiers anymore, and frankly by the mere suggestion of a tier list you are doing this game a huge disservice. The only reason people think characters are low tier in PM is because they think tier lists have to exist, and they really don't understand how the character works. Like Ness for example, is really good. I beat all my friends with him, even a really good Fox, so you just need to learn Ness. Especially because his DJC is so good for mindgames.

So here is my "tier list" for Project M.
Top Tier:
Everybody

Although if I had to have a best character in the game, which personally I don't think exists but people seem to think there has to be one, it would be Bowser. He kills with his Fsmash so early and it can break shields. It's pretty OP, but every character can be OP in this game so its okay.

metroid1117

Smash Master
pretty sure the words "bad" and "spacie" should never be used in the same sentence
X character versus spacie is a bad match-up for X character. :awesome:

I have so much trouble against Link with Zard. J666 murdered me last time we played. I want to play him again to see if I have a fighting chance now that I've gotten better.
I have to review the matches I had with Hylian on Wednesday, but I played some Link-Charizard matches and didn't feel like it was particularly bad. Try recording next time you play him and I'll look it over.

EDIT: Here's two games that we played and here's a third. Link's projectiles are a nuisance if you give him the space to use them. Generally though, Charizard's WD OoS is just fast enough and his grab range is long enough that if you rush Link while he throws a projectile, you can generally punish him if you shield it. Both characters can punish each other really well though (Link's UTilt is nasty and his projectiles can harass you pretty badly as you get back to the ground, while Charizard is great at juggles and edgeguarding), so the match can get flipped pretty quickly. Hylian is pretty much the only Link I've played in a long time and I don't know how much Charizard experience he has though, so we could be playing the match-up sub-optimally. Even so, I don't think it's particularly hard for Charizard.

Beautiful Death

Smash Journeyman
I think that PM is so well balanced that we can't actually have tiers anymore, and frankly by the mere suggestion of a tier list you are doing this game a huge disservice. The only reason people think characters are low tier in PM is because they think tier lists have to exist, and they really don't understand how the character works. Like Ness for example, is really good. I beat all my friends with him, even a really good Fox, so you just need to learn Ness. Especially because his DJC is so good for mindgames.

So here is my "tier list" for Project M.
Top Tier:
Everybody

Although if I had to have a best character in the game, which personally I don't think exists but people seem to think there has to be one, it would be Bowser. He kills with his Fsmash so early and it can break shields. It's pretty OP, but every character can be OP in this game so its okay.
You're serious? You're not serious.

Beautiful Death

Smash Journeyman
By the way I had a thought. You know how Jigglypuff's uh, you know, the taunt where she deflates and falls down. That effects her hitbox right? Well you guys should make it faster/less recovery so she can use it to dodge things. Kinda like Blanka from Street Fighter. You would be able to down taunt and avoid moves! Like, make it a viable move. That would be sick.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I'd rather she was made of ice cream, and if you didn't hurry up and kill the opponent she starts melting

theindievisual

Smash Rookie
When yall discuss balance, is your ideal balance that everyone was S-tier like fox? Or that it's nice and safe all across mid-tier?

The_NZA

Smash Lord
When yall discuss balance, is your ideal balance that everyone was S-tier like fox? Or that it's nice and safe all across mid-tier?

Fox is as good as he is because in addition to certain uncharacteristically good moves (uair, usmash), has has incredible speed and an abusable 1 frame all-utility move (shine) that takes advantage of his speed. If a character wants to be as good as Fox, they need some gimmick like shine that is "broken", and they need real character attributes that put that character well ahead the PM2.6 cast. I don't think you can give 32 characters (yet alone 10 characters) a silly 1 frame-esque gimmick, some overblown stat similar to speed, and crazy kill moves without homogenizing the play styles in the game. I mean, 2.5 Sonic in a way was the "new fox" with infinite possibilities. But if we get 10 characters like that, how far can we push it without making everyone a fast rush down character?

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Been wanting to make my own list for awhile. Guess I'll go for it. Character placement within the tiers doesn't mean a whole lot... Ok it means a little bit. JUST A LITTLE BIT

S:
Fox

A:
Falco
Snake
Peach
Sheik
MK
Wolf

B:
Mario
Pit
Link
Marth
Ike
Wario
Ivy
ZSS
Bowser
DK
Falcon
Sonic

C:
Zard
GnW
Ness
Lucas
Pika
Lucario
Diddy
Puff
Weegee
ROB
Squirtle
Ganon

D:
Tink
Zelda
D3

Yeah "D" Tier sounds ****ty but I really feel most all of the characters in this game are pretty damn good, especially when you compare the "worst" to the "best" in this game to something like Brawl or Melee.

Hope I didn't forget anyone :s
Comments and questions are appreciated. Always willing to learn more about the game if someone thinks this list is whack as fook.

Life keeps on getting better.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
So now we know, beyond reasonable doubt, that Prof. Pro's feelings towards life directly correlate with the placement of Snake on tier lists.
It's science.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Wario became a bit more reasonable in 2.6. Nair and Dsmash aren't so much of a death sentence anymore lol.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Frame one moves hit like weak *******. Are you a weak *****? WELL, ARE YOU?!?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Ok Vash. I don't remember seeing anyone so far talking about it, but I must.

Holy cow your Avatar has huge bazoongas

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
I don't think any character should be as good as Fox, including Fox. His design isn't sacred. Character goodness is relative, but I don't just say that because he's dabest (or close to). Like if NTSC Melee Marth was unarguably #1 and the S tiers were just below him, maybe that would have resulted in Melee's metagame being more varied and interesting.

I'm all about fast-paced matches and crazy combos and DDing and all that jazz, but I dunno, you have to draw the line somewhere, and personally I'd draw it a bit below Fox's level.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Been wanting to make my own list for awhile. Guess I'll go for it. Character placement within the tiers doesn't mean a whole lot... Ok it means a little bit. JUST A LITTLE BIT

S:
Fox

A:
Falco
Snake
Peach
Sheik
MK
Wolf

B:
Mario
Pit
Link
Marth
Ike
Wario
Ivy
ZSS
Bowser
DK
Falcon
Sonic

C:
Zard
GnW
Ness
Lucas
Pika
Lucario
Diddy
Puff
Weegee
ROB
Squirtle
Ganon

D:
Tink
Zelda
D3

Yeah "D" Tier sounds ****ty but I really feel most all of the characters in this game are pretty damn good, especially when you compare the "worst" to the "best" in this game to something like Brawl or Melee.

Hope I didn't forget anyone :s
Comments and questions are appreciated. Always willing to learn more about the game if someone thinks this list is whack as fook.
Some parts of this list are amazing while others make me scratch my head. How did Puff get so low, I recognize she's got so many new challenges that she doesn't quite do well against. Still...7th from the bottom? Below GnW and Ness?

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Hungrybox is really the only good player that represents Puff nowadays and he doesn't regularly play PM, so along with his plethora of mediocre match ups and his lack of results, people are naturally going to place Jiggs lower on the tier list unless proven otherwise.

Top Bottom