• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
"learn TO ADAPT SPACE ANIMALS ARE WORSE"

"what about all of these things where he was actually buffed a good enough amount"

"LEARN TO ADAPT LEARN TO ADAPT LEARN TO ADAPT"

I don't think we're the ones who need adapting right now, hate to say

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Or be a man and SDI quickly to the front of it, then DK jab him into a grab, AND THEN BLAST HIM TO THE STARS

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Jokes on you, he's shooting another PK fire from the air!

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
He'll be too busy imagining such a big character like DK roasting on an open fire, that he'll get hit by anythinggggg

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
The most annoying defense, SDI'ing down into the ground then PSing the pillar as Ness runs into it...........pricks.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Atomsk does that pretty consistently. It's annoying.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
Top 5 (in order)
Fox
Falco
Ivysaur
Mario
Jigglypuff

Bottom 5 (in order)
Sonic
Mr. Game & Watch
King Dedede
Lucario
Toon Link

I am not a very competitive player, so this is all based on videos.

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
Pretty sure I've never actually made a list. I'm just going to list all the characters I'm 100% convinced are viable when used exclusively, and all the characters I'm like 90% convinced are. I think all characters have at least a few good matchups with the more popular chars, but these are the cream of the crop in my eyes.

100%:
Mario
Bowser
Peach
Captain Falcon
Wolf
Fox
Falco
Sheik
Ivysaur
Marth

90%:
Wario
Zero Suit Samus
Jigglypuff
Pit
Lucas
ROB
Snake

AceStarThe3rd

SmashTuber
NNID
AceStarThe3rd2
To be honest, with Ivysaur having a fantastic recovery, excellent range, good projectiles, Solarbeam, and the exclusive ability to recover HP on its own, that would definitely make him AT LEAST B+ :)
Plus, he's so spexy =]

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Falcon IMO is not 100% viable on his own. He still has decently bad MU's with Falco and Sheik, and some of the newcomers give him a hard time (I can believe Oracle and others saying Falcon loses to Zard, it feels real)

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
charizard is pure 50/50 in extremely good MUs to extremely bad MUs

he's either ruining days or having his day ruined, poor guy

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
I don't feel like Zard has that many bad matchups. Mario might be his worst match-up. Link still might be up there as well. And perhaps Fox.
Nah, I don't think Mario is his worst match up. Its pretty bad, but its not the worst. Ivysaur, Bowser, and Sheik are worse imo. Wolf isn't great, but its better than Mario and Link.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Yeah, now that I think about it, I take it back. Its not that bad for Charizard, but I feel like it should be in Bowser's favor imo.

EDIT: I should note when I mean in Bowser's favor, I mean slightly. Like 55-45.

SK919

Deal with it
I'm a bit new to the meta game :] but I like PM and I waaaaant to help.

tier list for reasons

1. Fox, still good. Fox mains might suffer from some of these newer match ups because of how hard it is to space with fox but in the long run I feel like fox still has the advantage over most of these new characters simply because by design fox is a perfect character for fighting.

his conversion are still very strong. His shine is spike is still great. his momentum is still amazing and generates all sorts fear and confusing. he's also still fast and nair is still OP lol. I fell like fox is the best in melee not because of his technical potential but his application in strategy. His nair can be any where fast slow or fast and slow. who knows. He can stick to you like glue or sting you from a distance. He is just too good. I think some of these other characters are strong fighters but pale in comparison to the master fox who in my eyes is the bruce lee of this incredible fighting system based on ssbm. He can be like water =] he's the best

It's very hard for me to say who wins next. I think this game has a lot of counter picks going on. there seem to be strong characters with strong counters.

Ike seems very good against characters with no projectiles but weak against any one who can control horizontal space.

ivy saur seems to shut down any heavy character and characters with poor aerials so she can demand respect with her tilts

etc. etc.

maybe ike is the best heavy character, I think his ability to quickly be on his enemy is amazing combined with his strength.

Ivy saur might be the best projectile based character because of her priority and how easy it is for her to win a lot of match ups ( in my opinion )

I think sooner or later in a developed meta game we will see a lot of match ups that are meh. and we will see a tier list similar to melee.

For characters that seem just bad.

Sonic, pretty fast but I'm never really afraid I'll die. His conversions are weak and his presence is just annoying.
game and watch, reminds me of melee. Worse version of marth with a few new nice things.

charizard seems bad to me, I don't really think he has what heavy characters need. For example ike and ganon have moves that establish their presence (fair) and also moves that take advantage of being too afraid of their presence (side B) so from here they have the option to manipulate the momentum of the match. Charizard seems weak in this department. I hope some of you can tell me I'm wrong XD. If I take the first stock. It's just not scary to fight charizard.

Diddy kong, I feel like this character should have better conversions considering his enemy can take his main tool away from him (the bananas). maybe he just has a technical combo game.

*it's really important to consider potential as well too.

squirtle, seems pretty bad, might be another character that needs a strong hand to master him. right now I feel like squirtle relies on unawareness and his actual presence in neutral is not strong. A very fun character but he needs more moves that let him take control of his enemy in neutral. Maybe a better nair? It's a difficult choice to make for the team. One wrong move and this character could be too good!

list without explanations for power
1. Fox
2. Falco
3. Marth
4. shiek
5. Ivy saur
6. lucas

I probably should keep playing but to me the melee characters are still the best. They have the tools to win in a fight against many types of enemies. I put ivysaur on the list because I think he beats a lot of characters by limiting them in neutral to make solid choices.
II put lucas on the list because he reminds me of fox and oracle made me feel like he had amazing potential as a character. So fast and so damaging. he also has amazing movement.

At the moment I know there are a lot of new characters doing well in tournaments but consider this. Those new characters provide new gimmicks and spacing that a lot of us aren't use too. Melee is a game about time and space which is essentially awareness. Some of these new options might be good now but not good when we can bob and weave around them.

we can see this idea in melee. If you are a new player and you have fought a decent ganondorf you probably remember the frustration of just getting hit because you thought you were just out of range. We might still be in that phase or maybe I'm just in that phase of PM. sometimes I see this in matches.

for example at Big house 3. Kirk played a bowser that was really taking advantage of bowser's strengths and that's great. However, a lot of his opponents were not prepared to fight a bowser and fell into some situations that I think can avoided. Good super armor usage is something that did not exist in melee.

I think things might be harder for our hero kirk in the future simply because bowser is not as well equipment to fight as say fox or marth but he is very well equipment to surprise you.

I am no master of strategy. I am excited to see what you guys think and how this game develops over time.

ItalianStallion

Smash Journeyman
Nah, I don't think Mario is his worst match up. Its pretty bad, but its not the worst. Ivysaur, Bowser, and Sheik are worse imo. Wolf isn't great, but its better than Mario and Link.
I would agree that Bowser is probably around even. It just depends on if the Zard is nair spacing well. I would probably put it slightly in Zard's favor though.
Shiek on the other hand isn't as hard for Zard as Mario is. Mario has the cape which is actually really effective on interrupting Zard's momentum and pressure. Sheik also doesn't really have a great aerial approach option she can kind of force in like Mario can. Spacing nair well as Zard can really hinder how she gets in. Needles are annoying though since they interrupt Zard's spacing attempts. Sheik is easier to combo than Mario though, and that's key.

I probably could make a better argument for this than I am, but I need to jump into the shower soon.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
A tier in my opinion ( no specific order)

Fox
falco
Wario
wolf
Lucas
bowser
mario

B tier (no specific order)
Pit
ike
ivy
Snake
zss
Sheik

I think the worst in the game is ddd, but then again ddd isnt as bad as people make him sound
i also think gnw is one of the better characters in the game
and i.also beleive sonic is better than people make him sound as well

I kinda main pika now...and i think hes lower in tier but can still compete with the top tiers

Overall i think the tiers do not seperate characters by very much and that they are all viable and pretty well balanced

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
^^^^^

Good people sometimes make lists, and then sometimes Pikachu gets put over 2.5 Sonic

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
huh. This always troubled me.

But I thought you couldn't roll it? whenever i try to roll I just get caught in the flame again.

Just follow the instructions and roll immediately after taking one of the hits. It's no problem.

ItalianStallion

Smash Journeyman
Who are you? (No offense)
None taken. I was making a joke.
I'm decent enough at Project M, but live in an area without a scene (Except for the one I'm starting). Although I would claim to be really good at the game, I haven't played enough people to really say so for a fact.

Anyone with the cajones to drive to the central valley and face me are welcome to. Just be prepared to be combo'd into oblivion by my awe-inspiring Charizard!

HMWii22

BRoomer
BRoomer
None taken. I was making a joke.
I'm decent enough at Project M, but live in an area without a scene (Except for the one I'm starting). Although I would claim to be really good at the game, I haven't played enough people to really say so for a fact.

Anyone with the cajones to drive to the central valley and face me are welcome to. Just be prepared to be combo'd into oblivion by my awe-inspiring Charizard!
Okay, fair enough. I look forward to your list nonetheless.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
GODDAMN MOTHER****ING DOUBLE ****ING POST MOTHER****ING GLITCH!!!!!!! GOD ****ING DAMN IT I AM SO ****ING SICK OF THIS BULL****!

sorry.

Tlock

Smash Apprentice
My 2.6b tier list. Based off of my mid level play experience, watching videos and reading the discussions. Started by splitting the characters into what I thought was top 50% and bottom 50%, then split those two again into top & high, mid and low.

1 Fox
2 Falco
3 Wolf
4 Snake
5 Shiek
6 Wario
7 Mario
8 Marth
9 Peach

High
10 Ivy
11 Pit
12 MK
13 Falcon
14 Lucas
15 Bowser
16 Lucario
17 Sonic

Mid
18 Puff
19 ZZS
20 Rob
21 Ike
22 Donky Kong
23 Luigi
24 Link
25 Ness
26 G&W

Low
27 Zelda
28 Charizard
29 Pikachu
30 Diddy Kong
31 Toon Link
32 Squirtle
33 DDD
34 Ganondorf

lami

Smash Journeyman
My 2.6b tier list. Based off of my mid level play experience, watching videos and reading the discussions. Started by splitting the characters into what I thought was top 50% and bottom 50%, then split those two again into top & high, mid and low.

1 Fox
2 Falco
3 Wolf
4 Snake
5 Shiek
6 Wario
7 Mario
8 Marth
9 Peach

High
10 Ivy
11 Pit