• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Bleck

Smash Master
I agree with that - I think there's arguably a difference between making a game feel like Melee and a game that is Melee, and I'd be more interested in seeing tweaked versions of the veterans than I would be in continuing to try and satisfy the unfeasible (and arguably unreasonable) desires of die-hard Melee players.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Have Spacies been adequately dealt with to the point that we need to talk about Link's ****ing Boomerang right now?

No seriously, this is getting ridiculous. I can understanding wanting to be somewhat faithful to the Melee portion of the fanbase, but why are the people that only care about Project M, who are most faithful to this game and would still play it whether or not it had Melee Fox's and Falcon's exact moveset, expected to put up with this crap in a game that purports character balance as a primary goal? As long as the spacies remain this toxic, stay as this metagame-defining force, character balance will be nothing but a joke without a punchline.

Letting the spacies have their mindless, flowchart nairshines and their pillars and their dominating neutrals is a serious slap in the face to every player that has to work every inch for every percent and stock that they get. Every Lucario that has to work his fingers as fast as he thinks, every Jiggs that has to fish for the tiniest of mistakes so she can try play perfectly and get a stock off it, every Ganon that has to input frame perfect powershields when his opponent can run away and keep hitting Y + B like his other buttons are broken. Tell me what makes the melee fanbase so special and so dear to this game that their characters are more important than everyone else's and the only change their precious spacies recieved was one they didn't notice until the changelog.

Maybe asking the Melee community to assist this one in its growth made sense at one point, but it's been repeatedly ignored, belittled, put down or outright derided by prominent members of that very community. Project M has not flourished because of Melee players, it has flourished in spite of them. You're not going to get the Scars of the world to take the game seriously, please stop trying. And stop expecting the Project M players to bow to the whims of a community that doesn't even respect them.

So you know, maybe once the actual, most toxic elements of this game are finally addressed, after we've all resounded "What took so long?!" then we can complain about Link's goddamned boomerang.

Which. Is. Fine.
Space animals are fine, learn the match up and deal with it

Infil

Smash Journeyman
As someone who missed all of PM's history up until just before 3.0, can someone explain to me why Melee vets don't take well to PM? Are they somehow against better character and stage variety while largely keeping everything that was good from Melee, or what? Like, when I first saw PM I thought all the Melee vets would love to start playing it.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I'll give you back 2.1 Ike, if you give Captain Falcon Falco Lasers

JOE!

Smash Hero
everybody should get falco lasers.

In fact, Link's boomerang should also shoot them as it spins.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Link's Boomerang that's actually a Mach tornado that is surrounded by Razor Leaves in a Nayru's Love type orbit while randomly shooting falco lasers that home in like Pit's arrows.

Oh, and on the way back it just has Ike in it:
http://youtu.be/LKaOBcnmFa8?t=13s

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
as a die hard melee player, I think I can speak some of the players that play both games in that it does feel slightly different. Melee characters carry over very well and after like 15 min the adaptation is there and everything feels fluid and in control again. Its the transition back that is rough for me.

I think another common gripe is that buffed melee low tiers, and re-worked brawl characters got a lot of tools and buffs that might have put them overboard. The idea is that they think the goal was to allow for the characters to compete and place well among melee vets immediately and thus some of the tweaks were a bit much. I'm not saying I'm on that boat, just putting out some more ideas that melee players commonly agree on that is not "**** pm its not melee" or my favorite PM hater quote: "if I wanted to play melee with its balls cut off I'd just play brawl." The PM haters are mostly outliers that are a lot more vocal. Its not like people will go around posting on FB "YEAH I'M PRETTY MUCH CONTENT, PM IS CHILL" or anything similar if they just like the game and aren't super die-hard fans.

Personally I like PM more, I like Diddy a lot more than all the melee characters, but Melee is still more popular. I also feel that playing the fleshed out meta-game helps me understand the game better, recognize what actually works as approaches/punishes and how to pick up on habits. I think Melee is a better place to learn how to play smash as a whole instead of learning matchups. This is all just now though, once PM settles down and match-up knowledge becomes more wide-spread and character changes stop happening completely PM will be a better game.

Last edited:

Bryonato

Green Hat
Thats hilarious, i must say.

I think ness biggest problem is his slight lack of kill power. Bair and fsmash are solid yes, a grab that kills, but at pretty high percentages varying from weight. This along with limited spacing options, gives ness alot of tough MUs
Kill power is definitely not his biggest problem. Bair is amazing. Nair will kill on smaller stages around 95-110% on most characters, dair is a strong meteor, and uair will kill off the top with ease especially when comboing from dair -> uair. To add to this he has fsmash (tipper kills super early), flash and pkt2.

Ness biggest problem is by far his range which can really hamper his neutral presence and stage control.

jtm94

Smash Lord
I agree with Soft Serve, vets play the game and will claim spacies feel incredibly similar or are even easier in PM. If someone complains they feel slightly different and doesn't play because of that, then screw 'em. The game IS NOT Melee, but they did REALLY good getting as close as possible to the old Melee top tiers, from timing, to graphical effects. The only way for them to be the same is to make the game Melee. I will agree a few characters got overdeveloped and buffed unnecessarily. In Melee there are 5 good characters, in PM there are like 35 or whatever really good characters. Even low tier chars in PM have tools that most would consider somewhat borked in a Melee environment.

The game just needs to balance out and give characters more moves that reward skill, instead of moves that offer immediate gratification for little effort.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
I'm glad that it's not Melee because I think it's already better. I just hope that they continue to balance things as much as they are able to with the characters. I love the idea of there being 35+ good characters. I really hope that in Smash 4, patches are made available to balance things out.

Cassio

Smash Master
As someone who missed all of PM's history up until just before 3.0, can someone explain to me why Melee vets don't take well to PM? Are they somehow against better character and stage variety while largely keeping everything that was good from Melee, or what? Like, when I first saw PM I thought all the Melee vets would love to start playing it.
I can reply to this, but I know the PM community won't like the answer. It doesnt have to do with the way spacies feel, it goes back to one of my first posts in here (not trying to be mean but this is just what I hear). Good melee players have little respect for top level play in PM and the players who's only success is through PM. (This is true for good Brawl > PM players too but maybe not as prevalent). They think it is, more or less, an easier version of smash. So while they might legitimately enjoy PM and the community, when they want to get serious and be competitive theyll go back to their game. Whenever I hear advice on how to get better at PM, many of them say its just as good or better to practice with melee. This happened for Brawl as well in its early years, but it stopped being criticized in that way once top melee players could no longer do well in Brawl and top level Brawl players grew in their own right. However Brawl actually had different mechanics than melee. Given the game is titled Project Melee and that top level is meant to emulate Melee its going to be harder to shake off while non-PM players who put little time into the game are doing as well as or beating out the players who are invested in it. Even moreso because it seems like a common attitude is PM player subservience to melee skill.

Late edit, but more specific to what you said calling PM a better version of melee (or brawl) is a quick way to get the game trashed on. Best thing you can do is to just consider its own version of smash with a nod/tribute to melee.

Last edited:

Guilu

Smash Apprentice
The engine differences and adjustments make all characters feel slightly off from their Melee counterpart (or very off, for me going from PAL Melee Ganon to PM Ganon). It doesn't take long to adapt to PM, but going back to Melee with the same characters as in PM just results in missed ledge sweetspots and pointless attempts at reverse jumps. Not only that but there's a great amount of viable, dangerous characters and a fighting a number of them requires specific matchup knowledge.
So yeah, PM is not Melee. I don't see it ever being Melee, so I'm not sure why the PMBR tries to make it a 1:1 port when it's never going to be quite there.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
All of you discussing 'Apocalypse' and 'Broken' and crap like that...
Forgot about this...

He needs to be crowned King again...
You forgot about it too.

My Tier List is Still the Best
Melee still exists, and it's a good game. No rush, PM will be around for a long time, so who cares?
The PM community itself has a long way to go, regardless of the whole Smash community collectively grouping around it to help or not.
Edit: Nguz, pointing out the path to bettering oneself is the story of my life, and the story of the lives of all others towards me, whether we see it that way or not, simply by a technicality. The 'best' and 'worst' are all included.

Get better at figuring out reasons as to why it's funny to suggest ways others can be better. ;)
For example, the Link vs Falco vid is a good example of inefficiency. Reminiscent of Chops with a hint of Lucky, who I often refer to as good examples of people playing into fluency in foundation through very systematic play, but never really get much from it habitually since it's a linear way to approach a game. Kels fits very much into that (from what I've seen) and could benefit from doing certain things for himself. I've mentioned it before as well, and even the commentating mentioned it, even more old-school players (maybe he's old-school too, don't know) like GimR have hints of this flavor, and the comments always gravitate to the same things because it's so observable.

This stuff is pretty funny, but more for the sake of our funny humanity of not dealing with stuff when it keeps poking at us. Smash is a revealing game, it can be used that way.
Funny? Sure, but for certain universal reasons unless you're making critique subjective. This is a good thing, beneficial and simple, nothing more.

You're all scrubs.
OH SHI

Doodoodooze the only non-scrub in these parts.

Edit: Lasers? Rangs? Learn all the match-ups, and deal with it.
L2P4Lyfe ;)

Last edited:

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Random question: Has anybody considered giving Zelda and Sheik a real Down B? I was thinking about this the other day when looking at PT's individual pokemon.
Would it be possible to make their transformation command a taunt (that they can use on the ground or in mid-air) and give them Down Bs that they can use for other purposes? I guess it's not necessary, but just a thought I was having...

Infil

Smash Journeyman
Whenever I hear advice on how to get better at PM, many of them say its just as good or better to practice with melee.
Like... this can't be real advice people have spouted, can it? Not to say you're subscribing to this, just find it super hard to believe this is actual advice anyone has given anyone else, ever. It's like these people are trying their hardest to pretend no character other than Fox/Falco/Marth/Sheik can possibly exist (even granting them that, this advice is still terrible).

Late edit, but more specific to what you said calling PM a better version of melee (or brawl) is a quick way to get the game trashed on. Best thing you can do is to just consider its own version of smash with a nod/tribute to melee.
I never really said it was "a better version of melee", but what I did say was that the game largely takes the best parts of Melee (movement, etc) and adds a lot more interesting stuff to it (good character variety, fun new character designs). To me, this is enough to make it a version of Smash that the community at large should put a lot of time into, since it's the most fun.

I can see maybe the money in tournaments isn't there yet... hopefully it's coming, and of course you can still play and enjoy Melee (as long as you play one of the 7 viable characters). But... I had really hoped the community wouldn't be so petty to dislike the game solely because "it's not Melee" or "I don't want to have to learn new matchups" but maybe I'm wrong. :(

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
I thought you were playing gourmet race...
Also, I think it's fair to say that the general skill level of Melee players is above that of PM players. I'd also vouch for the top Melee players being better than the top PM players, but I'd imagine some, such as yourself, would disagree.
I do not think it is fair to say. Most Melee players get bopped at bigger tournaments unless they have invested significant amounts of time to practicing the game, in which case I would say they are no longer "Melee players", they are "Melee/PM players". Look at the Apex 2014 results and you'll see them littered with Melee, Brawl, and PM only players.

When you consider how often M2K has played PM in tournament (not to mention Brawl) and how long Armada's stuck it out with Pit, I don't think it's fair to still just call them "top Melee players". They're top players, period. They didn't become as good as they are because some magical property of Melee brought it out of them. To imply that is to take credit away from their own efforts and achievements.

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The engine differences and adjustments make all characters feel slightly off from their Melee counterpart (or very off, for me going from PAL Melee Ganon to PM Ganon). It doesn't take long to adapt to PM, but going back to Melee with the same characters as in PM just results in missed ledge sweetspots and pointless attempts at reverse jumps. Not only that but there's a great amount of viable, dangerous characters and a fighting a number of them requires specific matchup knowledge.
So yeah, PM is not Melee. I don't see it ever being Melee, so I'm not sure why the PMBR tries to make it a 1:1 port when it's never going to be quite there.
Porting some things from Melee make the game better, even if Melee never existed those attributes about the game are good. Not sure where you got us wanting it to be a 1:1 port, our website even says we don't, lol.

Given the game is titled Project Melee
*Project M

Last edited:

Cassio

Smash Master
Like... this can't be real advice people have spouted, can it? Not to say you're subscribing to this, just find it super hard to believe this is actual advice anyone has given anyone else, ever. It's like these people are trying their hardest to pretend no character other than Fox/Falco/Marth/Sheik can possibly exist (even granting them that, this advice is still terrible).
That advice might sound meaner than its meant to, but it has come from some of the top places of PM explaining how they got good. Im going to level with you right now though, I think at this point in time there is more to be gained from practicing in melee than in PM, and as Ive stated elsewhere I (and others) think right now the PM only experts arent on par with smash fundamentals as their melee and brawl counterparts. However, it's also to be expected since the game is new. Right now, perhaps the best thing to be done is to keep playing the game and developing the meta, and strive to be better than the melee/brawl players who don't play as much. If it matters to you, its the way to earn respect for the game and the community so that people dont just see it as easy mode melee.
I never really said it was "a better version of melee", but what I did say was that the game largely takes the best parts of Melee (movement, etc) and adds a lot more interesting stuff to it (good character variety, fun new character designs). To me, this is enough to make it a version of Smash that the community at large should put a lot of time into, since it's the most fun.

I can see maybe the money in tournaments isn't there yet... hopefully it's coming, and of course you can still play and enjoy Melee (as long as you play one of the 7 viable characters). But... I had really hoped the community wouldn't be so petty to dislike the game solely because "it's not Melee" or "I don't want to have to learn new matchups" but maybe I'm wrong. :(
Well I think people get sensitive about the wording even if its not what you meant directly. Its best to just enjoy the game for the qualities you like in it, but understand that others might not agree.

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
I will stand fully behind this statement: if you're all "whiners" and fox shouldn't be touched because, then MK should continue getting no nerfs just because he beats space animals (well, idk much about the fox matchup. does 5-5 with falco at least)

y'all complain about space animal matchups, when brawl's finest is standing right there

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman
How about we let the metagame settle down for a little while before demanding the PMBR to change characters? We have only had 1 really major tournament since 3.0's release. I think it's a bit premature to demand changes to characters that haven't been fully explored.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
I do not think it is fair to say. Most Melee players get bopped at bigger tournaments unless they have invested significant amounts of time to practicing the game, in which case I would say they are no longer "Melee players", they are "Melee/PM players". Look at the Apex 2014 results and you'll see them littered with Melee, Brawl, and PM only players.

When you consider how often M2K has played PM in tournament (not to mention Brawl) and how long Armada's stuck it out with Pit, I don't think it's fair to still just call them "top Melee players". They're top players, period. They didn't become as good as they are because some magical property of Melee brought it out of them. To imply that is to take credit away from their own efforts and achievements.
This is a very subtle distinction, but I think it's valid nonetheless. I would like to point out that DEHF relied on Melee fundamentals to go deep into Apex. PM's design is conducive to relatively easy transitions between the two games. The danger of categorizing players as Melee/PM players is that the category can get too inclusive.

OmegaObi-wan144

Banned via Warnings
If there was ever a reason to not get into project m, it would be its community. This is league of legends level whining right here. No character is in the slightest overpowered, not spacies, not mk, not links boomerang, not anything. In fact the only unbalancing going on is when characters get nerfed unfairly, bar sonic and ike early builds. It would benefit the growth of the game as a whole if more attention was put into reliably dealing with a characters unique mechanics than simply leaving it at "too hard for me=unbeatable". Id be more than happy to help anybody here with matchup knowledge. Pm is too well made and is so close to getting widespread popularity to rival melee and brawl to be set back by unhealthy competitive mindsets.

Another problem that ive seen is tge sentiment towards "auto combos" and "flow chart combos". Do you guys hate combos? Are the only attack strings you guys are impressed by are the really slow, janky ones where the player only lands like 3 moves in a row from reading di and all the attacks are really spaced out and disgusting looking? And even so, all characters have launchers and combo extenders- and this is good. It gives everyone has free hits after a certain attack in certain conditions. For falco its his shine, mario his grabs, and link his boomerang. Melee imo has the perfect balance of combos, reads, spacing and mindgames, its very well restrained on all fronts, but also very deep as well. If link loses his boomerang his punish game will suffer, and link is already really well balanced and powerful. Removing it would ruin him and make him less fun. Currently hes 50-50 zoning and sick combos and being link and winning. I dont want him relegated to a bomb throwing ***** like armadas young link just because people feel like link shouldnt be allowed to combo.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
I don't think you actually read what anyone said, if you think anti-spacie sentiments and talking about "auto combos" come from the same people

Last edited:

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
If there was ever a reason to not get into project m, it would be its community. This is league of legends level whining right here. No character is in the slightest overpowered, not spacies, not mk, not links boomerang, not anything. In fact the only unbalancing going on is when characters get nerfed unfairly, bar sonic and ike early builds. It would benefit the growth of the game as a whole if more attention was put into reliably dealing with a characters unique mechanics than simply leaving it at "too hard for me=unbeatable". Id be more than happy to help anybody here with matchup knowledge. Pm is too well made and is so close to getting widespread popularity to rival melee and brawl to be set back by unhealthy competitive mindsets.

Another problem that ive seen is tge sentiment towards "auto combos" and "flow chart combos". Do you guys hate combos? Are the only attack strings you guys are impressed by are the really slow, janky ones where the player only lands like 3 moves in a row from reading di and all the attacks are really spaced out and disgusting looking? And even so, all characters have launchers and combo extenders- and this is good. It gives everyone has free hits after a certain attack in certain conditions. For falco its his shine, mario his grabs, and link his boomerang. Melee imo has the perfect balance of combos, reads, spacing and mindgames, its very well restrained on all fronts, but also very deep as well. If link loses his boomerang his punish game will suffer, and link is already really well balanced and powerful. Removing it would ruin him and make him less fun. Currently hes 50-50 zoning and sick combos and being link and winning. I dont want him relegated to a bomb throwing ***** like armadas young link just because people feel like link shouldnt be allowed to combo.
I'm hoping this isn't an alt account, because this is probably the best 1st post I've ever read.

I don't think you actually read what anyone said, if you think anti-spacie sentiments and talking about "auto combos" come from the same people
When did he say the arguments come from the same people? He's listing 2 separate problems that he sees from this community...

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Random question: Has anybody considered giving Zelda and Sheik a real Down B? I was thinking about this the other day when looking at PT's individual pokemon.
Would it be possible to make their transformation command a taunt (that they can use on the ground or in mid-air) and give them Down Bs that they can use for other purposes? I guess it's not necessary, but just a thought I was having...
It probably won't happen. Ever.

Not because Zelda might be able to use some new down B, but because anything Sheik will be given will only make her better. Which she doesn't need. So then it would be some stupid move.

IMO, what would you even give Zelda or Sheik? and don't say light arrows for Zelda, they (canonically speaking) should instantly kill enemies, that would NOT work well in P:M.

Last edited:

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
But would you really say that Link working his Destroyer of Worlds (TM) takes anywhere near as much brainpower, technique, or finesse as the decisions of Spacies, Luacrio, Jiggs, and Ganon working their neutral and attempting to get things started?
haha...hahahahaah......ahahah...AHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Link requires MORE finesse and MORE brainpower (maybe not quite so much technique) than the spacies. People have been developing the Spacie metagame for 13 years now. Only the devoted Link fans are familiar with how he best works. His style doesn't match up with any other character, except maybe Young Link from Melee. Link is so tricky because there are so many ways to play him. You can go bomb heavy, aerial heavy, jab heavy, boomerang heavy...heck, you could even play a game that ACTUALLY uses arrows. There are so many "right" ways to play Link, that you have to know all of them. None of them are particularly effective against EVERYONE. you have to change your playstyle to match your opponent.

Part of what made the Spacies so good in Melee is that they didn't have to cater to the current opponent too much. For the most part, you can laser, shine, nair, bair, drill shine (Fox), drill spike (Falco), and up-smash (Fox) your way to victory against darn near anyone. you get to play YOUR favorite game 90% of the time.

Link on the other hand, has a thousand weapons that sort of work, rather than a small handful that work very well. You have to know how to use ALL of his moves. I can't think of the last match I've played as Link where I opted out of using more than 1 of his moves. (F-smash and d-tilt can be sort of situational) That means he requires twice as much brainpower as the spacies. You have to be a little bit faster as a spacie, but that's about it.

Imo the Link's play was very lacking. He opted for down smash instead of a safer jab after a dash attack. He also spammed dash attack quite a bit.

The spacie player always seemed to try to go straight for the ledge if he was horizontal to it but ended up being punished by the boomerang every time, I was disappointed he didn't do any shine stall -> DJ phantasm or DJ Up-B. His pressure after game one seemed to fall apart too, allowing the Link to get some key gimps.

Idk, maybe it's just me.
No, that Link wasn't very good. If you want some good Link footage, find Hylian, Internet Explorer, and actually JCaesar has a pretty good Link.

OmegaObi-wan144

Banned via Warnings
I'm hoping this isn't an alt account, because this is probably the best 1st post I've ever read.

When did he say the arguments come from the same people? He's listing 2 separate problems that he sees from this community...
Ive lurked here a lot so Ive seen a lot of the opinions of the people on the separate smash forums before, and I felt that I needed to contribute after seeing the past several people echo the same ideas.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
he's pretty clearly going towards a generalization that these arguments are coming from the same people, it's not exactly subtle when you start off with "this community is full of whiners"

auto combos are a myth, generally made by people with the lack of self-awareness to wonder why marth fair->dair would be no less fitting of that term than anything DK does, this much people already know and doesn't need Yet Another Post by someone who thinks complaining about their character being changed is a new idea

although, I will always find hilarious the idea of "learn to deal with spacies". kids, people have been learning to deal with spacies for thirteen years now, and when they're only barely nerfed, when compared to characters who go low-tier the next patch the second they get close to them in quality, that's a problem

Last edited:
Top Bottom