• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Nguz95

Smash Lord
So uh, Ice Climbers. I like them. I think they're secretly really good. Guess we've got to get some tournament results for them though.

MLGF

Smash Lord
...well...
So yeah, Zelda is mad overrated BTW. You have to play her different, but anyone who outranges her makes her invalid.
I don't get the top 5 claim at all.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
You can tell how swayed people are from watching regional matches on the big PM streams on that tier list.

Also am I the only one who thinks Fox isnt that much better than everyone? He might be the best, but i dont think he deserves his own tier bracket above everyone.

Last edited:

Ali Baba 177

Smash Journeyman
Wasn't defensive, you weren't saying **** ( or rather were).

MK is better than mario? Fireballs do lead into things tho, and 8% is a ****load for a fireball, especially for how safe mario's are. Additionally mario has a decent amount of mixups to his approach, cape is something I feel players heavily underutilize (IT GOES THRU SHIELD WAAAAAAAAAAA)

But mario isn't the subject at hand. So again, let's assume MK>Mario, but is he still better than any of the other characters I, or you listed? My problem with placing MK top 5 is I still haven't seen a strong enough reason to put him above the characters listed.
You should go watch some Plup videos, he is pretty good.

You can tell how swayed people are from watching regional matches on the big PM streams on that tier list.

Also am I the only one who thinks Fox isnt that much better than everyone? He might be the best, but i dont think he deserves his own tier bracket above everyone.
That extra tier for Fox probably comes wrong. The community tier list brackets are organized by the characters rating nearness to the tier assigned. (1- 1.25 = A, 1.25 - 1.5 = A-, 1.5 - 1.75 = B+, 1.75 - 2.25 = B, 2.25 - 2.5 = B-, etc.) So he is just the only character that people rated closest to Top tier. He is also actually pretty close to lucas, they just fell in different categories.

I think it would be good to know what tournaments you use for your tier lists. Do you use locals, regional, nationals, or what?
I used as many tournaments as a I could fine solid character results from. I used smashboards rankings results, an archive thread, and then searched out some results on youtube for tournaments that didnt have the best of written records. So in the end I included (hopefully) every regional/national, and then a bunch of weeklies monthlies and randoms. These might create some problems as characters repeat at those tournaments and end up giving a lot of points you might say. However that is why I have a multiplying factor of size of tournament, and I think that smaller tournaments are important to be able to establish a more solid mid tier as there would probably be a trend of top tier characters at large tournaments alone.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
If you are using weeklies/monthlies I at least hope you are weighting them a lot less then regional and nationals at least. As I don't really think weeklies/monthlies are a good thing to use.

jtm94

Smash Lord
Yeah like a top at a monthly has way less weight to it.

MK is amazing though. I've seen people who barely play the game pick up Meta Knight and do well without any type of l-cancelling, they just attack as fast as possible and you can't punish him. This man also clanks with some aerials, which is ridiculous.

Turazrok

Smash Master
Transcendent priority, clanks.

Aerial clanking period, tho lol.

Ok thanks for your input.

Last edited:

Turazrok

Smash Master
Also please note that I never said MK was bad, merely that he doesn't belong in top 5.

Because someone's gonna misread that for sure.

jtm94

Smash Lord
I was just referring to some of his grounded attacks clanking with aerials. Like MK's upsmash has clanked with Falco's dair and cancelled the dair but upsmash continued. It's happened to me more than once, but I haven't tried in a while, 't was still 3.0 though.

Last edited:

1FD

Smash Ace
I was just referring to some of his grounded attacks clanking with aerials. Like MK's upsmash has clanked with Falco's dair and cancelled the dair but upsmash continued. It's happened to me more than once, but I haven't tried in a while, 't was still 3.0 though.
That must look WHACK
Do you mean it stops the animation of Falcos Dair WHICH WOULD LOOK WHACK or that the hitboxes collide and Falco just goes through you with a Dair that doesn't hit you?
THAT'S WHACK
And also a pretty cool trait to have unique to the character in smash or whatever

For all that WHO IS TOP 5 talk I'm still thinking Sonic and Yoshi and others are just as big of candidates and Fox and Falco lol

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Also please note that I never said MK was bad, merely that he doesn't belong in top 5.

Because someone's gonna misread that for sure.
You didnt get the memo? If a character isnt placed in Top 5, we automatically assume you mean hes the worst character lmao.:troll:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
on MK: all the things that are supposed to be drawbacks don't need to be drawbacks if you're good enough. can't clank projectiles? who cares, you're fast enough to maneuver around anything, and you have a dair that makes you fall faster than basically anyone else in the game. have problems with CC? good thing you have a grab tech chase game so godly that by the time it stops working, you've done enough damage to use every other great option you have without much fear.

he's good, is what I'm saying. you should play him

woundedust

Smash Apprentice
You think mewtwo is bad? All charizard has to do is nair and he covers EVERY option any character has

Last edited:

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
It'd be interesting to see what characters have placed first in tournament so far in 3.0's release... I'd say the only credentials you would need is number of entrants, since there are plenty of locals across the world that has lots of players and lots of talent.

B.W.

Smash Champion
His tether isn't broken it's weird.

If anything needs to be fixed about Olimar, it's that Pikmin need to respond faster when you're trying to call them back, and they need to respond better because sometimes when they're off the stage they just don't care that they're being called and they fall and die.

Hashtag

Smash Apprentice
When the pikmin flower, and you get hit by them, at the rate he can throw out some attacks it makes you wish the knock back and damage from them was nerfed lol. It's really wierd.

There is rumors that he is getting buffed. He certainly doesn't need buffs in the K.O. department.

His grab is wierd though. It's like stand dodging it is the worst think you could do.

Scary thing is, people don't think he is a good character.

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
olimar is too heavily based on RNG. brawl olimar had consistency because it wasn't a far-fetched idea to sit back until you get the pikmin setup you want, but you really can't get away with that in PM

consistency by eliminating randomness in character mechanics is only a good thing tbh

B.W.

Smash Champion
If he gets buffed, it's probably just going to be in some of his mechanics. Eliminating RNG would be a godsend, and would convince more people that Olimar is strong, even if nothing else about him was fixed up.

Turazrok

Smash Master
on MK: all the things that are supposed to be drawbacks don't need to be drawbacks if you're good enough. can't clank projectiles? who cares, you're fast enough to maneuver around anything, and you have a dair that makes you fall faster than basically anyone else in the game. have problems with CC? good thing you have a grab tech chase game so godly that by the time it stops working, you've done enough damage to use every other great option you have without much fear.

he's good, is what I'm saying. you should play him
So play the matchup better than the opponent and you win?
Damn dude broke as ****. Top 5 ez

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
you are... not the brightest person, I see. my point was simply that many of his positives can easily counter his biggest negatives with little issue, that's not exactly a complex concept

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Let me add that it can also happen to any character, whether it be Link, Falco, Mario, etc.
Of course, if the character's negatives counter the positives, then you have a problem.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
No, you don't understand. There's characters like Ganon that are designed so that when you play better, you just lose anyways.

Turazrok

Smash Master
you are... not the brightest person, I see. my point was simply that many of his positives can easily counter his biggest negatives with little issue, that's not exactly a complex concept
Let me add that it can also happen to any character, whether it be Link, Falco, Mario, etc.
^ is what I was saying. In addition, your post completely neglects how the opponent adapts. Feel free to continue flaming though, whatever floats your boat.
That's... that's usually how it goes. You play better, you win.

I don't even.
See above. I do understand sarcasm is hard to get in text form.

Last edited:
Top Bottom