• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
? Peach puff is unwinnable for peach at a top level, according to armada.
Puff beat ganon in melee, unless his new bair does something for the mu he should still lose to bair and free edgeguards
like those are all MU's puff won in melee that haven't changed much or at all

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Sheik keeps the mu neutral if imo if she needle camps and circle camps on platforms stages, then fishes for a fair/switch to zelda to fish for kick kills at 90
there's less saturation of 3 platform stages for her in pm, idk how the mu numbers end up but I'd say like, slight puff.

Boiko

:drshrug:
? Peach puff is unwinnable for peach at a top level, according to armada.
Puff beat ganon in melee, unless his new bair does something for the mu he should still lose to bair and free edgeguards
like those are all MU's puff won in melee that haven't changed much or at all
They've changed dramatically, idk how you could think otherwise. Comparing to melee doesn't make much sense with consideration to the new stage list, new mechanics (DACUS, Float, etc.). Characters have different grab follow ups from melee. I know what the match ups were like in melee, but Ganon couldn't float in melee, and he didn't have a DACUS, and Puff could ban Yoshi's. Peach's up smash wasn't a useful kill move in melee, she didn't have a glide toss to help her against top platform campers either.

D

Deleted member

I thought Sheik-Puff was an even MU as long as the Sheik played the MU right? Similar to the Marth-Sheik MU, but for Marth?
sheik was terrible vs puff in melee. not sure how it translates into pm

Foo

Smash Lord
On Jiggles, I agree that puff beats zss but only slightly. She's just too light and floaty to combo, and it's really tricky to kill her since her bair space game is better than yours, and you can't really gimp her. It's probably 6-4 at WORST.

Nah, I don't think "Loses to the 4 most popular characters" warrants a tied for 4th placing. You'll notice that most of the characters I have high up on my list do quite well against the meta; ROB, Falcon, Roy, and Wolf all do quite well or lose to only one of the aforementioned characters to a significant degree. That's why I think all of those (along with Falco/Fox/Sheik) are far more suited to perform in the meta than the tier underneath of Tink/Diddy/Ike.
And yeah even though Marth isn't as great as those characters, his matchup is quite relevant in the meta. It is far more desirable to lose to Jigglypuff/D3 (ala Roy) regardless of their tier placing; losing to Marth is a huge detriment to a character's ability to win tournaments and he's one of the main reasons I have Ike, Wario & G&W as low as I do. It's nice to have ~the best DK in your pocket whenever you run into a threatening Marth.
Alright, fine then, one spot down then. I guess I wasn't quite clear enough, but I wanted marth and falco a lot higher than they are. You said he was "decidedly not that good" which to me, implied that he was at least 3 or so spots below like on your tier list. I'm saying he's probably between 5th and 7th in terms of tier list., which would just be raw character strength in relation to others. He may be a few spots lower in terms of tournament viability though.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
the nair off stage didn't kill Ness, then Link has to punish Ness' missed sweetspot with a grounded UP-B to get the kill. How is that not exactly what i just said?

Also i understand that the gify is about showcasing nair's combo potential, since he gets 4 in a row. But in 3.0 it would have just been 2 nairs for the kill.

In regards to Link's recovery, was there any point to changing his UP distance and bomb jump besides "because Melee"?
...The last nair was a sourspot nair. Sourspot nair didn't kill in 3.02 either lol. Ness wouldn't have even been hit off the stage in 3.02, he would have just been hit by the first soft nair and then link would have fastfell to try and juggle and/or cover his landing. If he had ended that combo with fair or sweetspot nair ness would have died.

His recovery was made worse because his recovery was absurdly good, and recoveries in general were toned down in 3.5.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Alright, fine then, one spot down then. I guess I wasn't quite clear enough, but I wanted marth and falco a lot higher than they are. You said he was "decidedly not that good" which to me, implied that he was at least 3 or so spots below like on your tier list. I'm saying he's probably between 5th and 7th in terms of tier list., which would just be raw character strength in relation to others. He may be a few spots lower in terms of tournament viability though.
I have him 5 spots lower.
I do not find value in a "raw character strength" list, so I do not care to argue with you about a placing on such a hypothetical list. It isn't a metric relevant to the field and isn't how we define a tier list.

Foo

Smash Lord
I have him 5 spots lower.
I do not find value in a "raw character strength" list, so I do not care to argue with you about a placing on such a hypothetical list. It isn't a metric relevant to the field and isn't how we define a tier list.
Wait, then why is marth so low and lucario so high? If matchups against the most popular characters is 90% of what places them on the list, why is a character that gets dumpstered by spacies, isn't good against swordies and loses to sheik tied for second, while marth, the character who has no bad matchups except sheik, and a few random mid tiers tied for 15th? Since such a wide variety of PM characters are played in tourneys, I consider the matchups against the mid tiers, and only weigh the high and top tier matchups slightly higher.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Marth loses to Fox, Sheik, Roy, ROB, and Falcon. As @Umbreon has explained many times, Marth gets much worse in set play with counterpick stages.
Lucario is one of the few characters on my list whose placing is significantly up in the air. He could be ~Falcon level on my list, it is uncertain. Lucario's matchup spread remains to be seen, partially because the best Lucario lives in an area that never uploads videos. I remain unconvinced of his supposedly "poor matchups" because there's rarely data to back them up in either way.

Rizner

Smash Ace
Peach, Sheik, Samus, Ganon, Zelda, Pikachu, Meta Knight, and Lucas to name a few.
For Zelda, I think she loses this but it's close (maybe 40-60?). Puff can pressure a grounded Zelda with bairs, and if spaced not get punished. In the air, puff has better mobility than Zelda to move around. Zelda can get more off grabs, and kills early, but has a hard time working with puffs movement. At earlyish percents, puff can edgeguard with fair/bair and hit during teleport startup. If Zelda messes up a land cancelled nayru it should be a free rest.

Zelda used to be able to create openings and actually snipe with dins, but now there's less vertical momentum shift at distance and it isn't crazy useful when you're able to create that space.

Zelda still kills puff early and can sometimes get a lot out of throws, but it's harder for her to create those situations and get in the hits she needs

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

a tier list is simply a ranking of characters from better to worse based on their recent, relevant, top end performance. the idea is to show you who's winning on the list so you can prepare for characters that you are more likely to lose to if you entered a tournament tomorrow. we dont consider MUs, they are placed into the tier list anyway as certain characters perform better or worse than others. for example, in melee sheik is atypically low right now because she loses to fox/falco meta.

marth is not that good in tournament play right now. he folds to fox and rob hard, and frankly your character can't be a top tier right now if you lose solidly to fox (aka 30%+ of the tournament metagame). i'm actually not sold that marth loses to sheik, although that might be bias since i cant play marth against my own sheik.

i'm also with SB on lucario. the character always seems to perform well despite having "bad matchups" which implies that he doesnt actually have those problems so much as he has an under-developed player base- which makes sense given lucario's mechanics being so alien from the rest of the cast. the only common consensus ive seen with regards to lucario is that he has a "poor neutral game" at which time i know that the person has no idea what theyre talking about and i promptly ignore them.

IronChar

Smash Journeyman
some waifu cosplay type chick came around during a local melee torny. I had the only PM set up in the room, so she and her friends came over with that damn zard.

shocked those of us that were playing. no one could beat her zard is defs a higher teir

Foo

Smash Lord
Folds hard to fox? Idk man, the matchup was slightly in fox favor in melee and fox got nerfed notably, marth got only one very slight nerf, and has gotten buffed overall from the different physics. (better shorthop double aerials options, has better use for b reverse tech etc.) Marth can't take fox to FD as often, but I'd say the rest of the stage list is better for marth overall for that one matchup. (at least for the ruleset in my region, idk about yours) idk about the r.o.b. matchup, but it can't be that bad.

Also, I feel I did stick to that formula for a tier list overall. There are so many characters being played overall, and it's nothing like melee where you'll see a sea of the same four characters, with the occasional other one. I actually almost never see fox players in my region (THANK GOD). Basically, it's not like melee where you see nothing but top tiers for the most part. PM players play a much wider range of the cast more frequently, so mid tier matchups are much more important than in melee.

some waifu cosplay type chick came around during a local melee torny. I had the only PM set up in the room, so she and her friends came over with that damn zard.

shocked those of us that were playing. no one could beat her zard is defs a higher teir
A GIRL BEAT YOU AT A VIDEO GAME?!?! OMFG THAT CHARACTER MUST BE SO OP!!!!!1!111!

Last edited:

pkblaze

Smash Apprentice
Wait, why does Marth lose to Roy?

Also Marth Fox is better for marth than melee, in a void. Marth is arguably better now (lots of little things) and Fox is objectively a bit worse. It's not that different overall though. Stagelist makes more of a difference, and most neutral stages (SV, PS2 especially) are even or better for marth.

Marth's problem is that he never gets FD, even in Bo5, and that he can never ban out all of his bad stages (3 dreamlands Kreygasm!) This assumes something like Norfair/Dreamland/Yoshi's(brawl) are legal stages.

Yoshi's Brawl might not be too bad actually. Probably the least awful big stage for marth vs fox because of the lack of a top platform and no side platforms for fox to get really troublesome recovery mixups on.

Foo

Smash Lord
this wasn't just any girl dude- she proved that 3.5 charizard is a serious force
idk man, you need more evidence to make a claim like that than "some girl came and beat us up with zard." I mean, his moveset is good, for sure, but he's a fatty with relatively bad options against pressure and relatively bad approach options. That means he's going to lose to at least half the cast, and all of the top tier characters right off the bat. He is viable for sure, just keep in mind that being low tier doesn't mean "bad" like it does in most games, it just means he is worse than most of the cast.

Foo

Smash Lord
My argument wasn't that some girl beat my fox with marth, I compared it to the melee matchup and then explained that PM makes the matchup better for marth...

D

Deleted member

My argument wasn't that some girl beat my fox with marth, I compared it to the melee matchup and then explained that PM makes the matchup better for marth...
marth can never take fox to FD, its literally -1 win every set in that MU in a Bo3.

your post basically says "its not that bad you just dont get literally the only time fox is at a strict disadvantage"

kind of a big deal in a real set

pkblaze

Smash Apprentice
marth can never take fox to FD, its literally -1 win every set in that MU in a Bo3.

your post basically says "its not that bad you just dont get literally the only time fox is at a strict disadvantage"

Marth can never take Fox to FD in a Bo3 in melee either so IDK why that's a big deal. The emphasis should be that Fox never fully loses a DL-type stage whereas Marth fully loses FD in a Bo5.

Last edited:

Life

Smash Hero

As a Marth main in Melee, what stage does Fox ban in Melee Bo3 if not FD? I think you mean Bo5?

The starter list at my local is GHZ/PS2/BF/SV/NF. Norfair is pretty much autostrike/autoban for Marth. I'd imagine Fox dislikes GHZ, especially in this matchup. PS2 is probably good for Marth, based on Melee PS1 where Marth was better on the neutral and Fox was better on the transformations. IMO Smashville is a great Fox stage but might be a better Marth stage. And then there's Battlefield I guess?. Based on this starter list, Marth is probably getting a good stage game 1.

Yes, Marth still probably has to go to Dreamland in PM, but it's not as good for Fox as it was in Melee due to laser and usmash nerfs. I'm not really certain where Marth wants to counterpick Fox to, though.

D

Deleted member

As a Marth main in Melee, what stage does Fox ban in Melee Bo3 if not FD? I think you mean Bo5?

The starter list at my local is GHZ/PS2/BF/SV/NF. Norfair is pretty much autostrike/autoban for Marth. I'd imagine Fox dislikes GHZ, especially in this matchup. PS2 is probably good for Marth, based on Melee PS1 where Marth was better on the neutral and Fox was better on the transformations. IMO Smashville is a great Fox stage but might be a better Marth stage. And then there's Battlefield I guess?. Based on this starter list, Marth is probably getting a good stage game 1.

Yes, Marth still probably has to go to Dreamland in PM, but it's not as good for Fox as it was in Melee due to laser and usmash nerfs. I'm not really certain where Marth wants to counterpick Fox to, though.
big stages like norfair and PS2 are good for fox since marth lacks kill setups. GHZ is a little better but fox's much better kill power still nets that as an advantage since marth has a garbage combo weight and fox can cover the entire stage mid combo. ps2 is also fairly bigger than ps1 from melee and marth didnt win neutral vs fox on any stage to begin with. marth goes into the fox MU at a firm 40-60 MU disadvantage. we also use 2 bans in PM so marth pretty much never has to go to DL64 or norfair, but he still loses on the other stages that arent FD so its a moot point.

if this was melee it would probably make a lot more sense but marth doesnt have his ridiculous kill power from melee and even mediocre foxes can still combo the **** out of you. its a new game guys.

Sago

Smash Lord
Hello everyone. Never really posted on these boards.

I have been hearing for a lot of people lately say that they believe luigi is "Top Tier" or "Top 5 easy" or ect. I'm just curious where you think luigi would belong on a tier list or how much potential he has or something?

Last edited:

Boiko

:drshrug:
this wasn't just any girl dude- she proved that 3.5 charizard is a serious force
And Tetraflora will beat you with Kirby, but it doesn't mean Kirby is an amazing character.

I have been hearing for a lot of people lately say that they believe luigi is "Top Tier" or "Top 5 easy" or ect. I'm just curious where you think luigi would belong on a tier list or how much potential he has or something?
Luigi is probably somewhere around the middle of mid tier.
Ninja'd, but I'm just gonna leave it.

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace

Mid or lower mid imo

mimgrim

Smash Hero
sheik was terrible vs puff in melee. not sure how it translates into pm
I've seen KirbyKaze talk about how the MU in Melee is actuallye even as long as the Sheik plays it right. It requires her to play in way she normally wouldn't, like more needle, more camping, less grab, more Nair. But I'm probably wrong anyway and you are more experienced then me so I'll take your word for it.

Maybe you guys are just bad.:dr^_^:

JOE!

Smash Hero
Did somebody seriously say zard lost to jiggs? Zard beats her 60/40, beats marth 55/45, and him vs falcon is a 60/60 matchup

eideeiit

Smash Ace
@ JOE! JOE!
Please elaborate on the Marth MU. When I've played a Charizard I've had by far the best results with Marth out of him, Falcon and Ivysaur. I admit I suck, but I still can't see the neutral game being in Charizard's favor by such a big chunk that it makes up for how the sword (to my eyes) messes Zard up and Marth still can combo very well.

Life: "IMO it's even. That said, I think other Zards like it because Marth's recovery is fairly straightforward, so edgeguarding it is no huge issue; because Marth isn't super hard to juggle, another Zard strength; and because Zard has a reach advantage AFAICT, which is unusual for Marth mains to have to deal with."

JOE!: "Marth I have as a light advantage overall due to most of what Life said. Charizard is actually faster than marth, can juggle marth rather easily, has similar grab range and can go further out to make good on offstage vs marth"

I took these two quotes from the Charizard forums' MU discussion thread. They touch on how the punishes unfold, but don't have much on the neutral, of which I'm more interested in.

JOE!

Smash Hero
@ eideeiit eideeiit , while Marth has a sword, Charizard has a tail ;)

he is faster while sporting similar range and even grab range while having what I said above. It's what gives him the slight edge in how he has traits marth has to counter or at least match what he brings to the table.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord

>tfw no waifu cosplay chick to play pm with
;_;

ChiePet

*~About That BASS.~*
NNID
ChiePet
Reminder that this is the Tier List Speculation lol.
At the risk of getting a Warning:
Waifu Tier is Best Tier!

EDIT:
On topic, sort of, though.. Peach Puff has changed so much since Melee over very minor things, I'm almost absolutely sure that Peach Beats Jiggz almost clean in PM, I'm working on backing that statement up but just not enough time atm to write it out yet. Small things though have already been mentioned: USmash's improved kill threshold, DACUS kinda helps, AGT helps even the movement between the two, Stages and such, Grab follow ups being different, need to elaborate but Light Shield being MIA also hurts Jiggz; Jiggz feels floatier/weakened overall in PM for not good enough reasons, imo.

Will expand on all this later but for now it's Tier List Speculation "Good enough" Tier :)

Last edited:

Mr_Shadow

Smash Rookie
In all honesty I don't think there should be any characters at the bottom of the tier list since none of the characters are that bad.

Psyant

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Psyant
I'd say Jigglypuff still beats Pikachu, though it's slightly easier for Pikachu in PM than in Melee. Pikachu's buffs in PM haven't changed that matchup too much. Puff still weaves with Bairs all day which Pikachu doesn't really have much of an answer for, Pikachu can't get any combos and has to try and slowly whittle her down by tacking on Nair and Uair hits while avoiding her attacks. The buff to his Uair's damage adds up in this MU and helps a bit, as does his new Bair when you can sneak one in, but the rest of his changes don't effect the battle between these two much.

Top Bottom