• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
If ipk decides to make good on his name and punch me, and I catch the punch, it's gonna hurt but I can still up throw up air him into oblivion as long as my name's Fox McCloud.
T tasteless gentleman

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
^That is indeed confusing and odd
Here's a cooler one from a cooler person (me so there)

More probably general consensus type of thing.
This isn't the list I'd make but it's pretty close.
This is kind of what I'm 'getting' from discussion around here and elsewhere.

Guaranteed high in Top
:wolf:
Pretty much Top
:mario2::pikachu2::samus2::mewtwopm::lucas::fox::wario::toonlink::diddy:
Could be Top
:ike::metaknight::rob::lucario:
Not Top but close
:falcon::luigi2::sonic::gw::snake:
Less close but high of the solids
:peach::yoshi2::falco:
All solid
:ness2::roypm::sheik::squirtle::olimar::dk2::marth::jigglypuff::popo:
Less solid but still low in solids
:kirby2::link2::charizard::pit::ganondorf::zelda:
Not very solid
:bowser2::ivysaur:

Some junk like that in roughly that order or some junk

Edit: Put pictures cause names suck

Last edited:

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
^That is indeed confusing and odd
Here's a cooler one from a cooler person (me so there)

More probably general consensus type of thing.
This isn't the list I'd make but it's pretty close.
This is kind of what I'm 'getting' from discussion around here and elsewhere.

Guaranteed high in Top
:wolf:
Pretty much Top
:mario2::pikachu2::samus2::mewtwopm::lucas::fox::wario::toonlink::diddy:
Could be Top
:ike::metaknight::rob::lucario:
Not Top but close
:falcon::luigi2::sonic::gw::snake:
Less close but high of the solids
:peach::yoshi2::falco:
All solid
:ness2::roypm::sheik::squirtle::olimar::dk2::marth::jigglypuff::popo:
Less solid but still low in solids
:kirby2::link2::charizard::pit::ganondorf::zelda:
Not very solid
:bowser2::ivysaur:

Some junk like that in roughly that order or some junk

Edit: Put pictures cause names suck
LOL you forgot ZSS.

The booty.

How could you forget an *** like that?

I know a few pages ago I said Sheik has a flat spread, but ZSS certainly doesn't.

Last edited:

Chevy

Smash Ace
I don't know why y'all care so much about a 1 frame interaction between grabs and attacks anyway. Like, I only notice this happen once every couple of weeks what does it matter?

Last edited:

_Chrome

Smash Ace
Yo Naus you also forgot King T!tt!3s. You forgot TnA, brah... but you probably thought DDD was so good he transcended your list right? I mean, you totes convinced all of us that the Penguin was Over-Penguin.

Last edited:

Life

Smash Hero
I don't know why y'all care so much about a 1 frame interaction between grabs and attacks anyway. Like, I only notice this happen once every couple of weeks what does it matter?
Some people feel the need to complain about things and grab trading with attacks wasn't in Melee soooooooo

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
It happens with me quite often because I play a grab based character with a command grab. Chevy you play samus, of course you're going to see it less lol. You don't grab in the same situations

Saproling

Smash Journeyman
It happens with me quite often because I play a grab based character with a command grab. Chevy you play samus, of course you're going to see it less lol. You don't grab in the same situations
You act like we tether character mains don't want to grab as much as you can.
Please stop tether grab abuse before its too late.

Jamble

Smash Apprentice
I can't get rid of the image of a "Ganon butt grab" that's seared into my brain.

But I think the point is that grabs trading more often than not is an issue less likely to affect a tether grabber because they're less likely to be attempting a grab in a situation where they'd risk trading, really.

Bazkip

Smash Master
butt grabs are a thing because hitboxes. if the grab animation puts a hitbox far enough inside the grabber, any stray hurtbox that's near the grab will just, well, get grabbed.
No it's actually bcuz maylay. Brawl prevented grabs on opponents behind the grabber.

I don't know why the PMDT took that out, it made a lot of sense...

CORY

wut
BRoomer
Oh really? Never knew that, OK.

I don't necessarily mind behind the back grabs, inherently, sometimes weird things happen to line them up like that, but the ganon grab change just felt literally stupid to me : /

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
you mean the mashing out? Its ridiculously easy to mash out at lower%s. I think the only time it gets randomly broken is with platforms on fod
No I mean the random chance of auto breaking out even if they are at 100. Lost a few last stock moments thanks in part to this mess since diddy's recovery minus sideb is kind of mediocre.

And I know why Butt grabs happen, it just becomes a question of why reward a person for grabbing in the opposite direction. Similar to those cheeky roy f smashes that sometimes manage to sweetspot an opponent behind him. Weird things happen in this game lol.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Didn't actually forget TnA, just missed her when changing it to pictures.
Ooze isn't real, doesn't belong on lists. Just nope.

Throw her in with CF
The OTHER TnA

Jamble

Smash Apprentice
So does Samus's recovery go against the game's spirit of more limited recoveries? I'm finding that it almost doesn't matter how far I'm knocked back, between bombjumping, airdodge > tether, and situational uses of screw attack,I really don't stay down unless I'm killed outright. I feel almost guilty about it.

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
It's part of her design. And although recoveries are supposed to be more limited, I find recovery in PM to be really good.

Chevy

Smash Ace
People just suck at edgeguarding Samus. Her recovery is good, but she is incredibly slow in the air and vulnerable every time she drops the first bomb of a bomb jump set up. She also has the single worst tether forced pull up in the game because of her extreme floatiness, so you can do pretty much whatever you want on reaction to her drift.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
PFFT, Hearthstone when we live in a world with Smash...
If you're an optimizer in any way, like I am, it's an amazing amount of fun. There are also few things more satisfying than defeating a >10000 dust deck with a Murloc aggro rush strategy. It's kind of funny too how I play every video game that I do in a pretty similar fashion: I find the facerush strategy and go all in on it. Whether it's Ike, Vanguard Shepherd, Leap-focused Draken warrior in Wildstar or running a deck where my most expensive cards are 3 mana, heh. The only exceptions I can think of is my invisibility-focused assassin from Skyrim, and Skyrim hardly has challenging gameplay.

Oh this is Tier List Speculation, hmm.

I speculate Pit is still bad.

I also speculate the cast in general needs upward mobility now in terms of bufftweaks. Maybe we're at a good point for balance but in terms of fun and general power-level feeling, I don't know that a lot of characters cut the mustard. 3.02 had a lot of OOMPH and cool characters - I remember Pit very fondly, even if Mewtwo makes me gag. In 3.6 I like how R.o.B, Tink, Ike, Wolf and even ZSS look and feel, that would be a nice set to model on. They all feel Melee Marth-ish in terms of fun, flair and power, which imo is perfect.

Oh, Dark Souls doesn't have charge mechanics either so I sold out and became a Hexer. I heard there were nerfs though.

Life

Smash Hero
Why did none of you tell me Wolf was amazing aaaaaahhhhh

I can just laser all day and control the stage forever until my opponent does something stupid and then I get a death combo

Or I can play rushdown when that's more appropriate

(Obviously not literally "laser all day," but semi-campy Wolf is ridiculous or at least seems that way to me at the moment. I just broke open my Sonic friend that's been a wall to me for the better part of a year.)

Last edited:

_Chrome

Smash Ace
Because we don't want people maining cool characters, so we all conspired against you to hide Wolf's awesomeness.

Instead we talked about Bowser, The Ooze, circle jerks, Jank&Watch, ROB(usted) and ass grabs for like the past month, to name a few things.

Last edited:

KakuCP9

What does it mean to be strong?
On the subject of recoveries, first questionable one that comes to mind is Mario mainly due to how busted his Up-b is in terms of invincibility/hitbox in conjunction with his other traits (average-ish fall speed for drifting and special moves to stall in the air).
On another note, do people still hate ROB even after his weight/ fall-speed actually got fixed?

Life

Smash Hero
On the subject of recoveries, first questionable one that comes to mind is Mario mainly due to how busted his Up-b is in terms of invincibility/hitbox in conjunction with his other traits (average-ish fall speed for drifting and special moves to stall in the air).
On another note, do people still hate ROB even after his weight/ fall-speed actually got fixed?
Determining whether ROB is deserving of hatred in 3.6 would require someone to actually play ROB.

As for Mario, upB is really good yeah, but if you can catch him mid-cape or tornado stall you've got a pretty solid chance of killing him outright depending on the matchup. You can also try to hit him out of his ledge option or at least grab edge and punish the (small but existent) landing lag of upB.

It's like a filter: it has a lot of tiny little holes in it and it catches things that aren't good.

Last edited:

_Chrome

Smash Ace
To my knowledge people think the fact that ROB can dash-dance in the air as well as having his down-throw which leads into huge punishes into edgeguards.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium

I can just laser all day and control the stage forever until my opponent does something stupid and then I get a death combo

Or I can play rushdown when that's more appropriate

(Obviously not literally "laser all day," but semi-campy Wolf is ridiculous or at least seems that way to me at the moment. I just broke open my Sonic friend that's been a wall to me for the better part of a year.)
Wolf is fur-shiek with a knee

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
Not just any knee, a flying knee more like. Also, I'm still not convinced on MK being top 5 or whatever most people here say.

nimigoha

Smash Ace
Mario's UpB has 7 frames of invulnerability which cover like most of the distance, plus it has crazy disjoint, plus it has an insane ledge grab box.

Cut it down to ~3 like other invincible UpB moves.

Yes, Cape and Tornado can be intercepted but that doesn't necessarily give UpB a free pass to be janky.

Jamble

Smash Apprentice
I was kidding on the Hearthstone thing, I actually was glued to that game for the longest time, I played a really aggressive Warrior deck that was loads of fun. Haven't played since a bit before the start of ToC though.

BUT getting on topic here, I gotta think that has to be it on Samus's recovery. My main practice buddy hasn't really caught on how to edgeguard my recovery yet. He plays Ganon and likes to try to follow me off stage and attempt to meteor me when he gets me there. On another Samus note I also think I must be Samusing wrong here, because in general, I'm finding that a vast majority of my safe follow-ups are CC > Dsmash > aerial followup, but I'm not finding many other things that are both safe and get the ball rolling for other attacks like that. I would use Dtilt, but I stay almost exclusively in ice form. I'm kind of worried about relying too heavily on CCing attacks and going for a Dsmash is going to be too predictable against most humans.

Chevy

Smash Ace
Samus doesn't get strong conversions on very many characters. She can't really start much without a fire d-tilt, d-smash, up-tilt, or d-air. Up-tilt and d-air won't land in neutral without a hard read, and d-smash is just positional advantage on proper DI. This is mainly why I never ever want to be in ice mode when my opponent is under like 50ish% in most matchups. D-throw/up-throw can start stuff against a handful of characters but most of the cast can DI to avoid any good follow-up. Ice mode is still pretty much dookie, it only really works when your opponent isn't respecting the range on f-air, missiles are probably better overall though.

Life

Smash Hero
Not just any knee, a flying knee more like.
Teleport knee and a claw forward air. I'm literally spacie Mewtwo. When's Mewtwo getting a metal tail to help him survive space flight?

I might be getting a little silly about this.

And yeah, Samus has a lot of strengths, but extensive combos aren't one of them.

Jamble

Smash Apprentice
Good to know it's not just me, is ice mode really that bad though? It seems like I do lose a really great conversion tool in dtilt which is frustrating. But on the flipside, ice mode has a really great upsmash, the second hit on fsmash that freezes if the first one whiffs (and I think it has the same speed as plasma fsmash), and the dtilt is actually pretty decent for edgeguarding since it gets me in a crouch and sends the opponent in a straight horizontal trajectory. Though really, the main thing I prefer on it is the missiles. I'm really torn, I think I'll have to give plasma a chance, but I really dislike its missiles, upsmash and fair (relative to ice's, that is). I think I get my fair's placement wrong in a way that usually gets me punished for using it. I'll grind it out on a practice dummy with each for awhile I think.

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman
So how do we go about balancing the lower tiers to say Marths level without busting them?

Also unrelated question, how do I punish peach down smash with olimar? I always try the efficient grab but I always end up pulling the weird hit box glitch into my face.

Jonyc128

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jonnyc64
Mario's UpB has 7 frames of invulnerability which cover like most of the distance, plus it has crazy disjoint, plus it has an insane ledge grab box.

Cut it down to ~3 like other invincible UpB moves.

Yes, Cape and Tornado can be intercepted but that doesn't necessarily give UpB a free pass to be janky.
Yes, Mario's UpB has invincibility from frames 3-9, but from frames 3-6 his body reels backwards slightly and he starts moving frames 7-9.
In order to counter his UpB, either force him to recover high by either repeatedly grabbing ledge or making him fear going for the sweetspot, or just use and invincible aerial from ledge. Most don't know this, but Mario actually has 20 frames of endlag on his UpB so it's best to just let him land and knock him off again

Chevy

Smash Ace
Good to know it's not just me, is ice mode really that bad though? It seems like I do lose a really great conversion tool in dtilt which is frustrating. But on the flipside, ice mode has a really great upsmash, the second hit on fsmash that freezes if the first one whiffs (and I think it has the same speed as plasma fsmash), and the dtilt is actually pretty decent for edgeguarding since it gets me in a crouch and sends the opponent in a straight horizontal trajectory. Though really, the main thing I prefer on it is the missiles. I'm really torn, I think I'll have to give plasma a chance, but I really dislike its missiles, upsmash and fair (relative to ice's, that is). I think I get my fair's placement wrong in a way that usually gets me punished for using it. I'll grind it out on a practice dummy with each for awhile I think.
Ice f-air and up-smash are probably a bit better overall than their fire equivalents, but they have completely different uses and whether or not you want them over the others is matchup and percent dependent. Ice d-tilt is terrible and barely does anything that low angled f-tilt doesn't do better in almost every situation. Ice f-smash is frame 16 instead of 10 and has next to no knockback for actually KOing, doesn't link past like 30% on most characters, and if by some miracle you actually get the freeze hitbox, they just go careening in the sky too far up to actually get a follow-up. Fire is the well rounded well designed toolset, Ice is space f-air and get random up-smash kills. Ice needs a lot of work.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
To be fair, Ice dtilt wrecks a sleeping puff.

As for buffing to Marth's level, dont be afraid to give them things that would be frustrating to fight. Obviously you have to draw the line somewhere, but you can't leave everyone anemic either. Somebody (was it Life Life ?) said awhile ago that if there isn't something to complain about in a character when you fight them, there is something wrong. Also @Foo had a similar idea of "jank like momma makes" even longer ago.

More practical things that can help characters: A solid poke tool (think Marth/DK/Yoshi dtilt) for characters who might struggle with DD stuff. If you are super floaty, buff their grounded moves and tools. If you are a fatty, maybe buff their recovery a touch (not too much, I dont want them all to be DDD) so they can take advantage of their weight/survival stuff.

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
I believe it was @Umbreon who said that each character having a barely defensible trait made them more flavourful and fun to play against (gave examples of ROB airdashes, ZSS back air, etc.).

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
how are rob's airdashes and zss' bair even remotely comparable

Top Bottom