• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tiers are based on Neutral Stages. Time for a change.

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
I wonder what would have happened if the topic creator didn't have over 2,500 posts =P. I personally like the neutral stages, I don't exactly see your point. It doesn't give an extreme advantage to a character, just slight.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
I honestly can see both sides of this arguement bcuz like ppl said some of the top tiers characters worst stages are banned. However lots of stages are banned for reasons. like walkoffs someone can camp and grab for a OHKO. Certain stages should be banned like NewPork, Hyrule, any walk off stage. However there are some stages that are banned that quite franqly i don't think effect the outcome to much. And are advantages to lower tier characters(im not sure which one are banned for sure so forgive if i mention one that isn't)

I'll start with Norfair, this stage is stationary, and the postitioning of the platforms is relativly different. but the reason it's banned is bcuz of the lava. Just the floor rising lava doesn't kill you till about 120%. And if you were at 120% you were going to die soon anyway. And if you were staying at the percent for a long time then your obviously better than the person your facing and it won't matter if you lose that stock. It is equally hazardous to you and your opponent, so it doesn't really effect the fighting plus its very predictable. The waves that come from the side don't kill until very high percents like 150's. The big wave can be airdodged. It to me is a different level that requires a different approach bcuz of the invertedness of the platforms. and that all edges are grabbable.

Shodow Moses- Relitivly fair if no infinates were aloud, but it does have a walkoff edge so..

Rainbow Cruise- I'm with ppl on this there is no good reason to why it is banned the enviroment changes so if there is a wall it will eventuallly change and thus constitly change the field. Say it was a DDD vs Ness match, DDD would have advantage on the ship bcuz of the wall, whereas when it gets to the platforms Ness would have more of an Advantage. Thus making it a good counterpick for characters.

Brinstar Melee- the acid no longer kills.

Frigate Orphean- I think this is a counterpick, but if not it isn't hard to jump when the siren goes off, if you can't then you don't have better skill the the person your playing, nuff said.

Corneria- if we would just ban infinates many stages would be allowed.(althought im not sure if ness' camping on the gun works anymore)

These are just some that could be unbanned(just ones that come to my mind) and like i said all this could be ended if light bans on infinates were to take place. As for the neutral stages the most neutral stage is yoshi's island.

Yoshi's island has one platform making projectile spam hard cause then can just jump. It encourages both ground and aerial games. Its one of the only stages that you can DI to the wall and tech the blow. The platform that randomly appears is a savior not a killer.

crescentia

Smash Journeyman
Uh, Norfair isn't banned. Nor is Rainbow Cruise. Nor is Brinstar Melee...

BestNessn00b, please do your research.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
I actually hate Battlefield as Snake. The platforms shut down my mortar camping and make it harder to stay grounded, which is bad, since Snake sucks in the air.

old king coal

Smash Journeyman
stages that are banned are broken. Take stages with walk of edges for example: a character like DDD can infinite opposition to their death. A player can hide right at the end and when they get 1 grab then they throw the enemy to their death at any percentage. Other stages are banned because of hazards that affect the match too much, like warioware.

Yes, the "higher tier" characters do better at neutral stages. Yes I do main falco, snake and meta-knight. But the fact is stages aren't banned for no reason. They have factors that influence the match too much.

KingK

Smash Apprentice
It's simple. Those stages are banned because tournament matches are supposed to be about two players fighting each other with their respective characters.

Tournament matches are never supposed to be player vs. stage. This is also why items are banned, since tournament matches aren't supposed to be centered around picking up whatever items show up in order to kill the opponent.

The bottom line is, you're supposed to use your character to win, the game isn't supposed to win the match for you. The stages that have been banned allow players to win by taking advantage of the stage, or are totally random. Luck has no place in competitive matches.

I'll grant you that I think the list of stages that are neutral as opposed to counter picks could be expanded, and tournaments might be more interesting if players generally weren't allowed to pick their stage, and just had to go with whatever random gave them (out of the neutral stages). But I'm confident in leaving that for the SBR to decide.

crescentia

Smash Journeyman
READ first then comment, i said i wasn't sure which ones were or not.
If four out of the six stages you mentioned are not banned, with one varying stage (Corneria) and one definitely banned (Shadow Moses), I think it's pretty safe to say that you need to do some research...

Something that comes to mind: it seems that the current set of starting stages have quite large blast zones. Not as large as say, Temple or New Pork City, but when you compare the ceilings of Halberd vs. FD, there's a significant difference. Whether or not we expand the list of starting stages doesn't change the fact that Dedede's up-tilt kills at a way lower percent than, say, Yoshi's uptilt. Granted, no stage we have right now can be considered 'neutral', but I think that has way more to do with the character (weight, floatiness, etc.) than the stage itself.

I think we need more custom-designed stages for counterpicks.

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
Neutral stages don't exist. And even though these so called neutral stages we have now don't have hazards, they actually do have hidden hazards. Like the bottom portion of FD messes up some characters recoveries. BF Platforms makes for easier juggling. Those are a few examples. Although they are very minor. Some stages have minor hzards like Parasite queen stage, its easy to prevent yourself from dying from a hazard. I agree though that the most hazardous of stages like the Ice Climbers stage with the gimpyfish that can KO you at 0% I now thats not fair, same with Mario bros. stage with all the crabs and koopa troopa's, and fireballs. The most hazardous of stages will be banned, no doubt about that. But the stages that dont have such a huge hazard like Halberd should be allowed in tournaments to pick whenever. First round or second round.
Hazards? The fact that you are used to certain qualities of stages (the bottom of FD helping you recover for example) doesn't mean that every stage that doesn't have this quality is a hazard. But your point is that all stages have hazards. So why should other stages be allowed if the ones with the least are already allowed? I do not see the point. Do you want more variety because you are bored, or do you think characters deserve an equal oppertunity? Because in both cases, it's just a matter of opinion of a player that does not like the current system.

KingK

Smash Apprentice
I think we need more custom-designed stages for counterpicks.
Now THAT'S an interesting idea.

I'd like to see the community try to come up with some standardized custom stages...like really simply things that could be put together by anybody just from a template and that would make good additions to the current neutral stages already in the game.

I think it could be possible to have some good custom stages at tournaments. Logistically it'd probably be difficult to pull off but I think it's probably doable.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
^^^ thats a good idea.
One that immediatly comes to mind is a yoshi island custom course without the save ghost and the uneven ground

`` ----------

Top Bottom