• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tiers are stupid and don't exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aether_Lord

Smash Apprentice
hey some people think teirs exist and others dont heck my friend doesnt think it exist but heck who care its his way of thinkking i think it does exist so it goes either way so for those who think this is a idiot thread im with ya all its peoples opinions after all. you cant really prove someone wrong in this thread as proving that teirs exist too.

Grandeza

Smash Master
Tiers cannot be both stupid and non-existent.

The creation of tiers, or thinking about tiers, or the idea of tiers can be stupid and tiers can not exist simultaneously, but if tiers themselves are stupid, then they must exist. It's a prerequisite to having other qualities.
the fact that i understood this surprises me. That is excellent logi. While i dont agree that tiers are stupid u are surely correct in sayingg for something to be stupid it must be preexistent. Now if someone said the idea of tiers is stupid, that's another story.

Stormblast

Smash Journeyman
Tiers don't exist - completely by opinion. Personally I don't think tiers are as big of a deal as everyone else. Yes fox can be much more technical and abuse bowser like michael jackson and the olsen twins 10 years ago.

Mind games is the only factor. Bowser can 4 stock fox every time just by using mind games. Put him in bad positions. For example if I just learned to edge guard really well with bowser I could win the majority of my matches (btw sorry kevinm for using bowser as my example.) How you ask? There's a good chance the fox will go for me if I'm hanging off the edge with a shine. I get up quickely with the control stick the right or left, and d-tilt fox a little farther off or something. Mindgames = god tier.
Sure, a bowser could 4 stock a sheik, but imagine how much easier it would be if he had just picked fox, if he is that good a player in the first place.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Of course tiers exist. Fox has way more potential than, say Pikachu.

Stats, people!
I hope that's a joke. Pikachu is a POKEMON. Of course he has more potential. HE CAN SHOOT LIGHTNING FROM HIS BODY. What does fox have? A gun and a reflector. Weapons are for people who can't shoot lightning out of their body.

Levitas

the moon
hmm, the negation of (tiers not existing and tiers being stupid) is equivalent to (either tiers not NOT existing) or (tiers not being stupid). So all anyone has to do is prove one of the two true: lack of stupidity or existence of tiers.

I'm gonna look up the IQs of all the charaters in one tier now, and see if you're right about the stupid.

But watch out... in smash 64, Ness was described as a child genius.

EDIT: oh snap, in each case, someone's stupidity matches someone else's genius!

Top tier: they're animals, of course they're stupid.

High tier: Marth's knowledge of tactics equals Sheik's knowledge of the arcane, but there's a blonde in their midst... (dumb blondes)

Mid tier: Dr Mario went to med school, but Jiggs can only say one word, and over thousands of years, even with extreme power, gannon has yet to strike when link ISN'T around.

Low: No signs of intelligence here. Roy sucked even in his own game.

Bottom: Ness and mewtwo are here, but so's bowser. Bowser--the dumberest one of them all.

Time for a new theory...

battousai555

Smash Ace
Through simple breakdown of the request, I CAN prove that they exists. Simply put, that the action of recognizing something, and giving it a description somewhat gives it a materialization. Somewhat like a fantasy book in the hands of a schizophrenic, objects assigned descriptions usually have som bit of interaction. Since you are referring to the tiers as "stupid," you are giving them an existence, at least in your own perspective.

In order for something "to be" it must exists. I am, We are, You are, He/She/It is, and They are can all be used as examples of a "to be" verb in the present tense. You say, and I quote, "Tiers are stupid." The use of the word 'are' shows that you appear to give the tiers a form of existence in order to tack on the idea that they are misinformative.

Relying on this information, i can conclude that you treat the tiers as if they do exists, but deny their existence by saying that because they lack solid meaning, they should be disregarded to the point of complete and total absence. The truth is that in your mind they are somewhat real. On top of that, every person that talks about and uses the tiers further proves their existence. Since all people are only mere reflections of input that our mind has compiled, that means you recognize as it possible to take the tiers as a real object whether you credit it the same or not.

The tiers exist.
You deserve two handfuls of internets, but I can only award you with three at the moment. *gives him three internets*

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Is beating people up with a bat positively correlated with IQ?

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
The topic post is an appeal to ignorance, and is a logical fallacy.

As much as we can't prove tiers exist, you can't prove they don't exist. So you have provided us no reason to believe your claim over our's. We haven't really convinced you of our viewpoint either, but we don't have to, since you're trying to prove something to us, not vice-versa.

I realize of course this is a joke thread, and I'm taking it too seriously, but I took a critical thinking class this semester, and saw the opportunity to use it :laugh:

AG4U2NV

Smash Cadet
Thank you for seeing eye to eye with me also...

What the hell is the point of this. Some characters are clearly better then others. However, the best players learn how to play with style and timing. In other words, (FOR GOOD PLAYERS) tiers dont exist.
It's about time someone has some kind of knowledge,yes there IS a "Tier
List" but that is given,yes some characters are better than others,but that is also a given.

Obvisiously, an expert Falco player has no worries against an expert Donkey Kong player,
*cough cough8--I'm that Falco--*cough cough*

But if you are skilled at "HOW TO PLAY" then you should have minimum problems when it comes to extreme mismatches.

So in the event you do decide and decide is what you must do,to go with a below half mark character on the Tier List then do so,just make the decision wisely,don't do it for the personal impressions you may leave on an audience.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
So.

If a game has only 2 characters, and one character has 10% more speed and 10% less lag on moves than the other character, then you have a two tier system.

In a game with 26 characters with all of them being unique, are you saying that there is only one tier and they are equal? This is an impossibility, there is no 26 character rock-paper-scissors argument. Prove that all characters are equal.

When was the last time Bowser or Pichu won a tournament? Conversely, when was the last time Sheik (Drephen, M2K), Marth (M2K, Ken), Fox (M2K, KDJ, PC), or Falco (PC, Forward) won a tournament?

Not proof you say? Why? Because the character hasn't been developed to the level due to popularity or some other factor (not in the right hands, maybe?). This conjecture is also irrelevent, as the tier list is based on TODAY and how the characters are played TODAY. Sure, maybe Pichu has some sort of wierd infinite that is even better than the Ice Climbers and nobody has simply discovered it yet. Even if this were true, it doesn't matter since no one is using it and it has yet to make any sort of impact. Even when you take extremes, like Taj's Mewtwo, you run into him switching to better (higher tiered) characters later in the tournament when the real opponents come out.

Also, the DK versus Falco thing is a pretty bad example. DK does pretty good against Falco.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
It's about time someone has some kind of knowledge,yes there IS a "Tier
List" but that is given,yes some characters are better than others,but that is also a given.

Obvisiously, an expert Falco player has no worries against an expert Donkey Kong player,
*cough cough8--I'm that Falco--*cough cough*

But if you are skilled at "HOW TO PLAY" then you should have minimum problems when it comes to extreme mismatches.

So in the event you do decide and decide is what you must do,to go with a below half mark character on the Tier List then do so,just make the decision wisely,don't do it for the personal impressions you may leave on an audience.
*serious for a moment*

Actually it's the opposite; tiers exist for top players, not as much for the average competent player. The best (insert low tier character) won't beat the best fox or marth or whatever.

Levitas

the moon
someone get a picture of a tier. like a multitiered CD tray or something. That will prove one element in the conditional I stated true, disproving his statement. He did say tiers, not the smash brother's tiers.

And as tiers are a construct of the mind, by merely existing in my current state, I defy you KevinM!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom