• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tiers? (Include an explaination)

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Top Tier
1. Ness- Easily the best character in the whole game, you just have to know how to aim his Pika Thunder or whatever it's called, if you can aim it right, he'll automatically grab onto the edge, also he can come back at great depths, his throw front and back are both powerful and cheap. Plus add the fact that he can jump off the stage and spike three people at once and still return back on stage makes him practically broken. His yo-yo attack although it comes out slow is perfect for edge guarding as well, but I'd rather spike, and Ness can juggle easily, he's the best character in the game period.

2. Donkey Kong/Pikachu- Donkey Kong is awesome in this game, and this is where he really shines. His throw is very cheap and powerful, if your quick, you can throw the character backwards run to him and catch the guy before he lands, and throw them backwards again, repeat until they either recover or are too far to be able to be grabbed. His throw alone makes him almost unstoppable, add his leg split smash, upward smash and a spike, and he's awesome. One thing that I've noticed that people don't use with Donkey Kong is his back kick, extremely powerful and dangerous in here, not to mention incredible reach. At percentages of 70% you can jump do his downward smash, and when you land, you can automatically do his upward smash, even characters like Pikachu and Ness can't recover and will automatically get laid by this move. His only problem is his comeback, he's an easy spike for Ness, but other than that, he's good, oh I did forget about his charge punch, extremely powerful.

Pikachu is also a great character in this game, juggles like up+smash, then hold up and do his upward attack 3x, then jump, do another up+smash, then thunderbolt. He's so **** quick in this game, and his grab is cheap, and it comes out quicker than Donkey Kong's but it's nowhere as cheap as Donkey Kong's but still good nonetheless. Pikachu has a good down+smash and he's got that cheap air drill, jump, do the air drill then after it do an up+smash or just press the neutral attack. His teleport is good but this is spike country for my Ness though, and his forward+smash is what makes his really good at edge guarding, this will mame characters like Capt. Falcon, Link, or any other characters that need the edge in order to come back.

Pikachu's only real problem for me is that he can't fight in the air to well, Donkey Kong can lay waste to him, as well as Ness, even Mario's neutral attack can stop Pikachu.

-Not in any particular order here-
Upper Tier:
Kirby
Luigi
Yoshi
Jiggly Puff

Bottom Tier:
Capt. Falcon
Samus
Mario
Link

Hopefully I didn't forget anybody.

PKthunder

Smash Rookie
ok, first of all NESS is my boy. he has good speed and is one of the top edge guarders in the game. but, in order to get the best out of ness you have to be an advanced play. once you learn the timing of the spike you can beat anyone. And another thing, you ALL are underrating luigi. true, he is doesnt have the best speed or jump and he doesnt really have much to guard the edge. But luigi used by an advanced player can show you what luigi is capable of. luigi's uppercut is his bread and butter so learn it well, once you get the timing down its a great knock-off move. my friends and i are complete smash heads and we each have are favorite. Most of the teirs i see here a crap. ill give you my opion of the top teir **** the rest

NESS
Pikkachu
Donkey Kong
Mario
Luigi

thats just how it is. agree or disagree but ive been playing this game daily since it came out and i am fully aware of everyones capabilities and strengths. but ultimately it comes down to the user. if the player has a good eye for the game then they will be tough to beat. by the way for all of you who have C. Falcon in the top know this- C. Falcon has no chance against a player with strong throwing ability. when it comes to jumping Falcon is a ****, and he is so vulnerable for a timed spike its rediculous. These are my opinions bash me if you want but thats how it is and if theres anyone in the east tennessee who thinks they can hang with me and my boys just email me at admiralspurs@yahoo.com and let me know if you wanna smash it up and let a REAL master of the game show you how its done.

SLaKKiCHu

Mercury, Solace
BRoomer
For the time being, I guess I'll make this topic officially official. And, more importantly, important. Plus here's a recap of my list.

Pikachu
Fox
Kirby

On these top two, I am a bit conflicted. Their overall speed, power and throwing ability are close enough. The real question is the third jump. Fox's does damage yet Pikachu's is considerably faster.

Middle

Ness
Mario
DK
Captain Falcon
Yoshi
JigglyPuff
Samus

If not for their lame [or absent] third jumps, I'd have rated Falcon and Yoshi higher. I'll probably catch some **** from this from the vets but the truth is Jigglypuff is more a novel character in my opinion than a truly effective one. All in all, the Puff falls a little short in my opinion.

Bottom

Luigi
Link

I honestly can't decide which I like least. It's hard to think that Luigi, a character that falls only slightly short of Mario in most catagories should be rated so low, but I guess that's the nature of Smash. All in all, the characters are well-rounded enough that slight differences appear not so slight through gameplay. Link, while having redeeming qualities such as power and high attack priority is bogged down far too much by lack of speed and lack of a decent third jump.

Also! For those of you who feel the urge to contribute to this topic, I welcome it. However, you MUST, MUST, MUST include the reasoning for your decision in your post.

Danny MacDonald

Smash Apprentice
wow. i havent posted for such a long time. i recieved an email on a post to this thread so i figured i would reply.

but in anycase. my last goal on SSB was to get good with every character. I now realise that each character is equil. strange how it sounds. each character was designed to take on a different situation. Link is just a tank, and a good fighter when you substitute speed with timing.

I've also noticed that each character has a weakness to another character. link fears pikachu and pikachu fears.... jigglypuff as funny as that sounds. there is a long chain. well anyway.

thats my most recent revelation. see ya.

Houndoomshocka

Smash Journeyman
I have yet to be taken on by someone who's mastered Ness, but the way I see it is, is that him and Kirby have close to the same stamina (approx. how long it takes to get knocked out of an arena). Ness is a very unorthodox character to play as, I've tried, but I am no fan of his 3rd jump, the PK Thunder attack turning him into an electrified bullet. I assume it just takes some time to get the turning motion, and when in motion, hard for even Kirby to spike. But his speed, some of his jumping ability, and his stamina can be overpowered by a bunch or >A's.

Kirby has all the tools. Add a little more speed or stamina, and he IS broken. 5 jumps, Final Cutter, Stone (easy to dodge, I know, but powerful) >A's continuous, V A's for drilling into the ground (if there is any heheh) and one of the best throws in the game. Did I mention any special B move? Falcon Punch, Charge Shot, even Ness's 'lil PK Fire.

A funny combo that I found with Kirby is unleashing a Pokéball with either Snorlax or Onix, and driving your opponent to the top of the arena, and they go up just a little bit, or having a team with Pikachu and use thunder while Kirby's up there.

Kami

Smash Cadet
Ness is one of the strongest characters in the game. It's not that hard to pick him up.

Main strategy: Dominate the air. Uair, Dair, and Bair are great for beating down on people, because Dair chains into more Dair or Uair/Bair. Uair and Bair finish characters at the >100% range, while Dair spikes at anywhere above 30%. PK fire is very useful if you can learn to aim it IN THE AIR. Not so much on the ground, although it does have a farther range on the ground. PK fire off of your second jump on the rise, and if you peg them with it, they're stuck in place for a while - just long enough to start a Dair/Uair chain or hit them with a fsmash.

Ness' throws are THE BEST IN THE GAME. They have mad invincibility, they're fast, they hit people you throw your opponent into twice, THEY CAN BE COMBOED INTO SPIKES AND DAIR/UAIR CHAINS AMAZINGLY EASILY when you're close to walls (at about 14-20%% on Hyrule, try tossing your opponent back into the short wall on the left side and then running out and dairing them. They will die.), and they win roll wars most of the time (winning roll wars in ssb is one of the keys to playing well).

Ness' smashes... well, the only one worth using in a normal situation is his fsmash. Not a very good move, but if you can hit it, it does a bit of damage. Useful if you can get them with a PK fire first. Do not just throw it out as a normal move, try to spend your ground time doing running tackles or starting air combos.

Ness' one problem is his recovery. Skilled players won't be afraid of getting hit and will jump out to intercept the sperm or knock Ness farther out. Lower skilled players will sit back and try to smash Ness after he lands. I've been playing since this came out in Japan, and I can aim the sperm shot so that I can catch the edge perfectly practically every time. It helps recovery quite a bit.

Kami

Smash Cadet
Originally posted by OneWingSephiroth

Pikachu's only real problem for me is that he can't fight in the air to well, Donkey Kong can lay waste to him, as well as Ness, even Mario's neutral attack can stop Pikachu.

-Not in any particular order here-
Upper Tier:
Kirby
Luigi
Yoshi
Jiggly Puff

Bottom Tier:
Capt. Falcon
Samus
Mario
Link

Hopefully I didn't forget anybody.
I disagree. Pikachu is god in the air because of his fair and uair. You can fair + fair + uair in one jump if you time it correctly, and all three hits will knock him right into the range of the next/send them flying forward. His dair is amazingly strong, but it's got massive delay and shouldn't be used to often. Best use is to short hop dair a rolling character then z cancel it and get back in the air really fast. Not so useful when descending, but that's what your fair is for.

(Sorry for the double.)

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
Kirby and Pikachu dominate PERIOD! After that everything is kinda hazy, which is the pro about SSB64. Combos in this game even everything out, while Fox might have nice priority CF has a lengthy combo that can KO Fox in most stituations etc... etc...

Ness is pretty much a darkhorse character, he has all the tools of a top tier minus good recovery. Which is a MUST is a game based around getting back to the stage.

CF, Fox are also a cut above many lower tier characters in high level play because of their excellent normals and combo potential. J-Puff would be there if it wasn't for her gawdawful stamina.:o

Liveit_

Smash Apprentice
Kirby is definetly my no. 1. I have a friend who plays Link and i always feel really bad when i go hard on him, so we play team stock a lot.... anyway, heres my tier...

(in order)

TOP TIER:
Kirby
Pikachu
CFalcon
Jigglypuff

EXPLANATION: Pikachu is very fast and agile, as well as quite strong. CFalcon is very effective against light characters, but lacks a bit in the agility area. JigglyPuff is great but his jumping moves simply do not match up to Kirby's, also he can be K.O.'d easily by heavier characters.

MIDDLE TIER:
Link
Mario
Ness

EXPLANATION: Link simply didnt make the cut to the upper tier because of his terrible jumping and speed but his good power kept him here. Mario just seems so 'average', when you verse him as a bot, he's pretty terrible because he uses moves at the wrong time, even on level 9. BUT... he is quite fast and an ok jumper. As for Ness, you have to see him played human before you really know his attack style. His moves are quite powerful, but he is not such a good jumper.

BOTTOM TIER:
Samus
Luigi
DK
Yoshi

EXPLANATION: Samus' move where he charges then fires is simply not effective enough to make it worthwhile, and his speed and jumping are just not that good. As for Luigi, he's quite easy to chase and spike, which is pretty much the same for DK, who is way too large a target for smaller, faster characters like Kirby and Pikachu. And Yoshi, well, hes is pretty much terrible. Everyone I know who plays this game (including me) has tried over and over to make it with him, but his only quality is his good shielding.

Anyway, thats my opinion.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
Kirby: Speed, Smashes, Combos, Recovery, Edgeguarding, Evasion,ect
Ness: insane juggle combos and throws that are easy to start from almost anymove.

HIGH
C.Falcon: can start uppercut chains after a f.Throw, then repeated UpAirs into a
Falcon Dive.(most i've eve done is a 127% combo in training mode) seriously....his combos potentially are the best at starting and as finishing hits like his F.Smash. Plus he great weight.
Pikachu: combos to throws. Great recovery and quick air attacks. No serious flaws.

MID
Fox: Speed, basic mid-damage juggles, the awesome reflector(but lame recovery)
Yoshi: awesome projectile, B.Air, D.Smash. great juggler w/ his forward/up tilts.
Luigi: can't combo? BS! Drill to UpSmash to UpAirs to UpB **** you!
Jigglypuff: recovery and rest combos is all she really needs.

LOW
Mario: balanced character, but lacks KO moves.
DK: huge target, laggy attacks. he has great reach and decent combos. but he is ***** by combos too easily)

BOTTOM
Samus: simply slow and predictable. w/out enough KO moves.
Link: worst recovery in game....throw him off, pursue and hit..he dies! End of story. but his boomerang was godly, i'll save that.

WANG Style

Smash Rookie
Tier Rating

I have just heard about smashboards.com recently...and what the tier list should look like woudl be

pikachu/fox/kirby
ness/captain falcon
yoshi/luigi/jiggly puff
dk/samus/link

and those of you who think lowly of ness, its because you dont know how to play with him.

valoem

Smash Journeyman
This is only for 1v1
The tier is in order of category not descenting. (i.e. Yoshi is just in the same group as Jigglypuff not worse)

EDIT:

Top:
Pikachu

Above average:
Fox
Kirby
C Falcon
Samus
Luigi
Jigglypuff
Mario
Yoshi
Link

Mid:
DK

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
DK is much worse than Link MUCH WORSE. WHo cares about power and weight if you're too slow to hit your opponent.:o

DanFaggella

Smash Cadet
correction to someone who said ness's grabs are the best. Though they are the best of any overall character (the only char with a good forward throw), his back throw is not as powerful as DK's.

^ agreed, Dk is horrable, so hard to combo, and without any speed theres no way to beat anyone good

also, the real tier list that the online guys go buy (the ones u used to be able to find on supersmashpros forums, where jhonny/isia/darklink and all of them used to talk) usually doesnt deviate TOO much from the following:

Pika-Kirb-Fox-Falc-Mario-Purr-DINASOUR-Ness-Link-Lui-Sam-DKay

smashbro

Smash Apprentice
pikachu
kirby
--
yoshi
ness
--
fox
--
everyone else

simply put, pikachu and kirby have advantages in competitive play that put them on top of everyone else. the main advantage being ability to return on nearly every occasion. all others can fend for their own against everyone but pikachu and kirby. some notable competitive players think pikachu is a little better than kirby, but that is debatable. yoshi and ness are next because they have the highest attack rate in the game (i.e. jump cancels). fox comes next due to him having the fastest falling-speed, putting him right under yoshi and ness for attack rate. anyone else's advantages or disadvantages are too ambiguious to make a reasonable tier from.

DanFaggella

Smash Cadet
i just gave you the real deal, trust me when i tell you that yoshi is not better that fox and captain falcon, ask anyone.

look at my thread, thats the one the people who play this game online use, the people who are really into compeditive ssb64

smashbro

Smash Apprentice
i am one of those people that play online. i'm known as "nico" over there.

valoem

Smash Journeyman
yo dan about ur tier. I admin that i mistakenly put link above dk even though dk is worse. Marioo seemed to be in the right place.

DanFaggella

Smash Cadet
im not trying to argue but nico you should know yoshi is not the 2rd best character in the game, and at least INCLUDE cfalcon up there...

val i just think ur kirby is in the wrong spot, too many kirby players at a high level. Also, luigi is not that great, mario is greatly regardedd to better him.

talk to jhonny or malva this is where i got all this, like a year ago.

smashbro

Smash Apprentice
i didn't mean it to be interpreted that way. actually, ness's attack rate is a little faster than yoshi's. and as for c. falcon, he's got the 2nd fastest fall rate after fox, so he would be right under fox (i didn't take the time to make a complete list). and yeah, i've talked and played against johnny and malva... it's not like i have no idea what i'm talking about.

DanFaggella

Smash Cadet
well i didnt mean to misinterperate your list, i just figured the guys on top were best, worst on bottom, as far as lists ive come in contact with, thats how they go, its like a structure for lists you know

smashbro

Smash Apprentice
ok, i'll explain it for you. each tier is in order to which character has the most advantage, but for my list, i made no distinction for how high each character was meaning i'm not saying pikachu is better than kirby or yoshi better than ness, but kirby and pikachu are better than yoshi and ness. hope that clears things up for you.

DanFaggella

Smash Cadet
so your classifying them to good/medium/bad catagories with no particular order in the catagories?

DanFaggella

Smash Cadet
also, do you know of any SSB64 video?

i really dont see any of it anymore its sad

thanks

elhinnaw

Smash Apprentice
Washington D.C., currently in Champaign, IL
im honestly quite puzzed as to why people would continue to think that ness and kriby are incredibly 'broken'

kirby has great prioroty and good moves but he has an average recovery and horrible lateral movement.

Dont even start on ness because his recovery is just horrible. you can jump out and stop it everytime. theres no excuse for him being on the top of anyones list.

I think if you are going to create a tier list (which itself is more or less pointless in ssb because there is great parity in the game) youd have to rank them based on quickness, priority, recovery, and quality of moves.

You've all seen Isai's vids so you know link can be really good, but what makes him near the bottom is that his recover can be abused to no end by the best, so you have to have link yoshi and ness at the bottom.

At the top you would have to have kirby fox and pikachu, pretty much with pikachu at the top. everyone else just falls in the middle.

Also, you people rank luigi very very low. You clearly have never played the Fonz and seen to what limit his 'fonzing' (up B) can be taken. Dont even pretend to know how horrible it can be. (unless youve played isai's luigi)

valoem

Smash Journeyman
LOL u are dead wrong. What do u mean kirby is an average recovery? He has the second best next to pikachu. Plus ness is not easy to go out and get if the person save him properly. The trick with ness is if the person is coming back you do it high so no one can touch him before his shock. Plus every aerial move for ness is priority. Also the game does NOT have great parity it is much more tight tier than ssbm. Lastly do u even play this game cause it seems like u dont.

DanFaggella

Smash Cadet
i think he knows allot (im surprised anyone knows anything about this old game) but i still think that mario is regarded as luigi's better, unless something has happened that i dont know of.

DanFaggella

Smash Cadet
also, how come that 3rd vid didnt work for me?

thanks anyway those 2 were impressive, know of any others?

valoem

Smash Journeyman
i was talking to elhinnaw not smashbro. I kno smashbro is good. Anyways those vid are insane i have a few questions though. What is the trick to rapid firing with fox's gun. I can do it sometimes, but how do u time it just rite? My friend does it all the time, he tells me to shoot when i see the red ball to the gun. But it doesnt work for me. Is there something else i need to do. Plus in videos it seemed like fox wave dashed like in ssbm. How did he do that.

PPeach

Smash Rookie
Here is my opinion, and some brief reasons:

Kirby - best recovery
Pikachu - good recovery and evasion
Ness - can do more moves per minute than any other character, has good throws

High
Fox - speed and combos
Yoshi - can do a lot of moves per minute
Cpt. Falcon - fast, some good combos

Low
Mario - bad recovery
Jigglypuff - okay A moves, but I'm not a fan of her B moves
Samus - can't perform combos

Bottom
DK - way too slow, but good back throw
Link - practically no recovery, slow, and I'm not a fan of the bomb
Luigi - just like his already low brother, except slower and a worse fireball

smashbro

Smash Apprentice
the fox move is just short hop and b. if you're quick enough, you can fit in two lasers in one short hop, this maximizes the number of shots, and minimizes recovery time. it's a neccesity for playing with fox, seeing how he has the best projectile in the game.

elhinnaw

Smash Apprentice
first of valoem i do play the game... a lot. The biggest mistake you make is you said IF a person does it right. that already means you have to take into consideration the fact his recovery is horrible. i dont doubt how good his moves are, but the fact is you get grabbed once and thrown off or hit off, you dont get back.

second, i said kirby is a top tier character, with an average recovery. if you think his recovery is so good, i dont think you play this game that much at all, or at least not against good competition. his horrible lateral movement makes anything he does incredibly predictable in a recovery, not from getting place to place. (again maybe thats just me)

this game does have great parity. if you think this game is much more divided than ssbm then you clearly dont know how to use every character well.

i think before trying to say whether or not i play the game you should stop to actually think about what i said.

and in order to increase the frequency of fox's lasers you have to press B while the first laser is going thru the gun. you cant button spam and expect to get the timing right.

valoem

Smash Journeyman
First off you said

"Dont even start on ness because his recovery is just horrible. you can jump out and stop it everytime. theres no excuse for him being on the top of anyones list."

Also what do u mean by parity? Do not mean that the tier are not balanced when u say there is great parity?

Well he is on the above average on my list. You basically dised up on me. Also I said IF because his recovery sucks if u dont do it rite. But if you do it right then he has an amazing recovery. Much better than capt falcon, link, dk, ness even has a better save then fox. In fact ness has one of the best saves because it gains a lot of distance. So if someone tries to go out and get ness before his save all u have to do is do it far away from the platform so that the other player wont have enough time to go out and get him. Plus it is very risky to get ness when his too far because if you mess up then his shock will basically kill you. Also ness has the greatest forward grab.

So by saying ness is one of the worse characters in the game just goes to show that you don't know what your talking about.

elhinnaw

Smash Apprentice
i dont understand why you think im saying ness is horrible. ness is a great character, but i dont think he is a better character than kirby, pikachu, or fox. that was my whole point

i know when i rank characters, i think of them being played by a person who plays each one with the same amount of skill. that way you can actualyl rank which ones are better. thats why i claim ness' recovery hinders him, because you have to take into consideration the fact that you have to do it high and early and judge the distance right, and then on the way down you have to worry about getting hit.

even with your little speech, his recovery isnt better than pikachu, fox, jiggly, or samus, HENCE the reason why i dont think he is equal with fox pikachu or kirby.

again, if you stopped trying to insult me or claim that i dont know what im talking about, just think about what i said. if you disagree then thats fine, but stop acting so adolescent about it.

DanFaggella

Smash Cadet
i gotta agree, i used ness fro year and i love the character, but hes really not as good as those guys at a hgih level.

Frogzilla

Smash Rookie
my "tiers" depend upon who's using what character. For ME, it's

TOP:
Fox
Link
Pikachu

MIDDLE
DK
Falcon
Jigglypuff
Kirby
Mario

BOTTOM
Samus
Ness
Luigi

ROCK BOTTOM
Yoshi

This does not mean these are the BEST or WORST characters, simply who I'm best with and worst with. Fox is obvious, his speed and agility are top-notch. Link is only good if you play him right. It takes a lot of skill, but by using the boomerang and the right sword combos he can rip his opponents to shreds. If he keeps control of the battle, he can keep from being knocked off too much, which is his weak spot. It's all about precision.

But Yoshi is inexcusable, killing him is child's play. Just hit him just before he hits the ground, and he's gone.

DanFaggella

Smash Cadet
strange and good idea, i dont know how mine goes.... soemthing like:

ness
link

aw man, well i dont focus on too many others

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
Well if you're ranking based on who you play best with then:

TOP:

Pikachu, Kirby, CF, Jigglypuff

MID:

Link, Yoshi, Ness

LOW:

Samus, Luigi, Fox, Mario, DK, w/e I forgot.

Top Bottom