• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

tiers

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
so i was surfing the forum and i cam across this little exchange in Samuraipanda's personal tier list version 2 thread...
i still want to talk to you
Too bad. I only had 10 minutes to spend on making a new tier list. Think I have the time to talk about Sonic?

Here's a hint: The answer isn't yes.
lol.

a few people from the sbr have ask about / we had a discussion about sonic, they don't know anything.
i wasn't even appriviating anything.

no idea about the foot-stool combo
no comprehension of ASC Combo's full potntial
never thought of spring canceled aerial combos
does not understand the tools that sonic has

i don't care about his tier list position, but just that the entire sbr is ignorant on the topic
The entire SBR? You've talked to all of us? I think you'd be surprised at how much we know.
so its basically obviously that less people pay attention to sonic than even WIIIGIIIIIII!!

and because of this, the tier list has sonic in 34th place despite the fact that hes in 16th place in character rankings.

now at first, I, along with many of the members of our boards were very upset at this turn of events but a couple days ago i realised something very important.

i went to my biweekly again this past saturday, and since I knew that i wasnt going to be able to stay the entire time, I had planned on just watching. but than something strange happend, because there were so few people there, there was not enough people to run the usual teams tourney. so my TO decided to make it a low tier tournament instead.
i decided that i had enough time to do that at least since i really wanted to play. this is when i made a monumental discovery.

Sonic ***** low tiers.

no joke, i can go through the entier list and explain it.
CF: does everything he can do but better.
Ganon: faster, can combo easily and can gimp.
Samus, big target, and you can easily run under z-air, her best move.
Link: also big, kinda slow, and has NO recovery.
Lucas: not a problem
(the next 3 are subjective because thats how the rules are in my area)
one stock MK: even sonic can kill this mofo once...
no pikmin olimar: completely useless
solo popo, not strong enough to do anything,
ness: i thought this might be a challenge, but unless you are playing a top level ness, you have nothing to worry about because we can CG him
yoshi: if he blocks an ASC he has to take the shield canceled grab, i cant believe he has anything fast enough to counter this, so his options are take a 20% ASC to the dome, or take a 15-20% grab with a kill setup, this is better than any grab release combos he has.
mario: this is the only game that i would consider an actual match, where there isnt some rediculously easy way to just beat the taste out of his mouth, but even still, i dont see sonic losing ot mario too much.

so all that being said, all you losers need to just adopt the mindset of my sig, so that sonic can stay in low tier, where he can procede to straight up dominate any and all low tier tourneys. all the big tourneys usually have a low tier tourney some time before or after them. and i dont have any problems rolling (lol unintended pun) right through all of those guys in low tier.

btw, the end of my story is that i got to winners finals without too much of a hassle, and than i had to leave right before i played this one guy who was playing yoshi, because my TO was being a **** and decided to run both the low tier and single tourney at the same time. but it dont matter i would have wrecked him anyway.

tl;dr go back and read the post you illiterate jackhole

also i had to keep bringing this up because its super lulzy,
i'm straight?
taking things out of context is hilarious
spoilers in the quote...

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
oh hell no this wasnt on the sonic boards.

and its not completely useless, people just need to stop trying to prove that sonic is a good character. it doesnt get us anywhere.

Pheonix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrostboltPhoenix
This is true, i went to a Low Tier Tournament and 2 Sonics ranked. (1st and 3rd. Me being 1st) and a Yoshi placed 2nd.

I had no problem at all during this tournament, Yoshi gave me a hard time though (Green Ace)

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Tier lists are about how well players can cope in the meta game with a character. Even winning low tier tourneys will higher his rank. So this doesn't help. If you want him low start losing.

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
I don't believe in tiers.

Just ignore the fact that I mained Falco pre-brawl, and Marth now in melee.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Tiers don't affect gameplay, you sillies.

Also, Yoshi doesn't block ASC's, he uses his infamous low-lag retreating pivot grab.

Yoshi doesn't get ***** by Sonic.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Aww c'mon Tenki, Yoshi is just asking to get ***** by anybody who plays against him (he has a saddle for a reason), Sonic is no exception.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Yoshi U-smash > MK low approaches.

Yoshi U-smash > Sonic aerial approaches ;/

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
If someone ****ing says "Tiers are for Queers" Ima ****ing **** them with Link's Master Sword o.O

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
I don't think Sonic has an advantage. If he does it isn't a great one to be sure. yoshi has a strong aerial game and thats always a pain for Sonic to deal with, you'll have to space Yoshi and force him onto the ground like you do with Luigi.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Anyways the SBR isn't ignorant but they do seem to lack some of the informatino.
When I was speaking with EL he knew a good amount of what Sonic could do so I highly doubt the SBR doesn't know much.
I do however think that they aren't taken into account a number of factors and tend to over exaggerate things.

Tenki

Smash Hero
because Queens is awesome.

it really is.

but in all seriousness, it's because some people are all butthurt about their favorite characters being in a lower tier, and somehow think that tiers affect gameplay/match outcomes, when it really DOESN'T.

eg: I beat MK with Falcon - "c!! i beat top tier wid a low tier char! tires don exits!"
or: Sonic is 5th from worst - "omg i hate tiers! dey made my favorite character look so bad! tiers r 4 querz loll"

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
Yoshi beats down on Sonic -_-, bair provides a nice wall of defense Yoshi's wave dash helps making killing that much more fun/easy, nair kind owns most of sonic's moves I could go on

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Yoshi beats down on Sonic -_-, bair provides a nice wall of defense Yoshi's wave dash helps making killing that much more fun/easy, nair kind owns most of sonic's moves I could go on
This thread is called 'tiers', not 'character discussion doomed to fail and turn into a flame war'.

Levitas

the moon
You're really underestimating lucas in this matchup. Lucas has good options against rushdown characters.

And you stated in the ness matchup that it's only a problem against good nesses. What if I said the same thing about sonic? Ness wins because all sonic players suck.

Now as for the SBR thing, you should know that SP has sonic experience against Anther. It's not like he doesn't know anything about sonic.

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
You're really underestimating lucas in this matchup. Lucas has good options against rushdown characters.

And you stated in the ness matchup that it's only a problem against good nesses. What if I said the same thing about sonic? Ness wins because all sonic players suck.

Now as for the SBR thing, you should know that SP has sonic experience against Anther. It's not like he doesn't know anything about sonic.
Sonic is not a rushdown character. Just because he's fast? No.

Anther's Sonic is terrible. If Anther was what SP was basing Sonic's qualities on, then SP is severely mistaken.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Sonic is not a rushdown. he is a punisher. hence, why Lucas can be annoyed rather well by Sonic. Lucas relies on spacing which Sonic is adept at controlling. he can punish a large amount of what Lucas has.
Again punisher, not rushdown.
Agreed
Antehr does not have a good Sonic. let alone that would be anecdotal.

Laughable idea.
Seriously.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate

What the hell's with you people and character match ups that you have to argue your point any time your main's name is mentioned.

Tenki

Smash Hero
This thread is called 'tiers', not 'character discussion doomed to fail and turn into a flame war'.
not necessarily.

However, most threads with the label 'tiers' are usually destined to be locked due to fanboy limiters turning off.

B-air is a nice wall. However, DR doesn't necessarily make killing easier... but it definitely makes the matches more fun :laugh:. I played with Swoops online with a pretty good connection and basically we were trying to feint each other out with DR and FT/dashdance/spindash cancels. It was really fun.

Like Luigi, shield kind of owns Yoshi's aerial approaches though (meaning, not including WOP aerials).

Oh yeah, and Sonic's U-smash can eat aerials :l

edit1:
Chis, SL84 does it all the time. Once in a while, I do it too.
When someone carpet statements a character with a strawman example like that, you're bound to attract people to bring up counterexamples/exceptions.

NNID
MasterHavik
Sorry for double posting, but so these tier thing make people get all happy or pisss and crap. I really don't care about tiers my self, but I think ppl who play high tiers and and talk **** about low and bottom tier chaarcter is just annoying, and I think ppl can understand where I'm coming from when I say that.

Anther

Smash Champion

Anther's Sonic is terrible. If Anther was what SP was basing Sonic's qualities on, then SP is severely mistaken.
Ouch!

SP's basing it mostly on his opinion, I mean if he was basing it on how I do against everyone with sonic...... Just because it doesn't fit the purpose of your argument doesn't mean you have to bash people ;p. If he tiered things based on my chars, it'd be backwards because I perform better with sonic than Lucario now. (Cause he's way more fun >.>)

Don't worry about the tiers. It's fairly obvious sonic's a lot better than people are placing him, and it's only to your advantage the lower on the tier list your char appears to be =p.

SonicX580

Smash Lord

Why don't you prove it? instead of talking take action and by the way you're underestimating Sonic's ablities.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Ouch!

SP's basing it mostly on his opinion, I mean if he was basing it on how I do against everyone with sonic...... Just because it doesn't fit the purpose of your argument doesn't mean you have to bash people ;p. If he tiered things based on my chars, it'd be backwards because I perform better with sonic than Lucario now. (Cause he's way more fun >.>)

Don't worry about the tiers. It's fairly obvious sonic's a lot better than people are placing him, and it's only to your advantage the lower on the tier list your char appears to be =p.
click-----------------------------------------^

Andora's Sonic is terrible. If Andora was what SP was basing Sonic's qualities on, then SP is severely mistaken.
You totally misread that, Anther.

:p

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
Ouch!

Sorry. I was kinda pissed off at his ignorant post. Rage mode is over now.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Anther's Sonic is terrible.
You're doing it wrong.

In topics where low tier mains whine and complain about how unfairly underrated their character is, you are supposed to hail and worship the few top players who do well with your character as shining examples of what your character "is capable of when used properly".

Calling someone terrible when they could 3 stock you should explain why the Sonic sub-forum is considered the way it is.

Top Bottom