• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tiers

Jxe

Smash Rookie
Link to original post: [drupal=982]Tiers[/drupal]

So on the tier list Toon Link is a middle character. A "A" character will easily own him right. Wrong. Toon Link has like huge advantages over heavyweights like King GayGayGay and Snakey-Baby. Maybe Meta Knight deserves to be #1 but what the hell is King Triple D doing in the top tiers? He is VERY easy to combo with characters like Toon Link, small and quick. Even Sonic could own his ***. Let me get to the point. TIERS ARE FOR QUEERS! STOP THE TIER LISTS! Or at least move Toon Link up to the high tiers. Like #8 or something. But if you don't then TIERS ARE FOR QUEERS. If you do move him up then TIERS ARE NOT FOR QUEERS!

MBreeto

Smash Ace
You totally contradicted yourself. Anyways, tiers are all opinion, it's not like in the game, it specifically says who's better that who. Hell, if you think Toon Link is the best character, then you have a right to believe that, but calling the other characters gay isn't really going to help your arguement.

Jxe

Smash Rookie
You totally contradicted yourself. Anyways, tiers are all opinion, it's not like in the game, it specifically says who's better that who. Hell, if you think Toon Link is the best character, then you have a right to believe that, but calling the other characters gay isn't really going to help your arguement.
True. But I personally HATE MK users.

MBreeto

Smash Ace
That's fine if you hate them, you just better have a legitimate reason to not like them, otherwise, MK users are gonna rip you apart, so be prepared ;)

Skrah

Smash Ace
-.- why did you make another thread..?

Anyways what MBreeto said is all you need to know. Tiers sometimes can be wrong, and if you are the better player chances are that you will most likely win.

Jxe

Smash Rookie
-.- why did you make another thread..?

Anyways what MBreeto said is all you need to know. Tiers sometimes can be wrong, and if you are the better player chances are that you will most likely win.
I was bored.

Mith_

Smash Champion
I swear, they should just put tier lists in the game manual so we don't have to listen to fanboys complain.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Wow, I thought this thread was saying what is tiers for or how misunderstood the tiers can be, but no, you jaked up my hopes. D=

And why is this in the blogs boards?

I swear, they should just put tier lists in the game manual so we don't have to listen to fanboys complain.
Heh heh, even if you put power meters, that very much can't explain every aspect of the meta game until it's ferther played and someone figures some advatages out.

smasher?o.0

Smash Journeyman
okay...
you do know tiers are NOT rankings in characters
THEY ARE JUST HOW MANY TIMES A CHARACTER HAS PLACED IN A TOURNEY!

Katapultar

Smash Lord
Tiers can be annoying cause people think you should only use MK. Ignore it. Also what about the characters that are good against high tiers but are low themselves.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
okay...
Wrong. Tiers do rank characters. The reason why low-tier characters don't win tournaments in Smash is because they CAN'T WIN. No amount of practice or wishful thinking will ever lead to a Kirby winning a major Melee tournament; the game is designed in such a way that it is literally impossible. Therefore, poor Kirby rots in the bottom tier.

There are games that are more balanced, but tiers still exist in them. As long as their is differentiation in design, there will be differentiation in ability. And that differentiation in ability is organized into tiers.

Mith_

Smash Champion
Like Sirlin said there are 5 tiers and only 3 of them should be used.

God Tier <-Shouldn't have a need
High Tier
Mid Tier
Low Tier
Garbage Tier <- Shouldn't have a need (lol Roll)

And like I said in a previous blog the less characters the less imbalances the more even tiers. That's why I like Arcana Heart. 11 playable characters so the imbalances are low. 3 High Tier 6 Mid Tier 2 Low Tier.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988

So on the tier list Toon Link is a middle character. A "A" character will easily own him right. Wrong. Toon Link has like huge advantages over heavyweights like King GayGayGay and Snakey-Baby. Maybe Meta Knight deserves to be #1 but what the hell is King Triple D doing in the top tiers? He is VERY easy to combo with characters like Toon Link, small and quick. Even Sonic could own his ***. Let me get to the point. TIERS ARE FOR QUEERS! STOP THE TIER LISTS! Or at least move Toon Link up to the high tiers. Like #8 or something. But if you don't then TIERS ARE FOR QUEERS. If you do move him up then TIERS ARE NOT FOR QUEERS!
Skeen dat s***. Stop crying like a p*ssy and make him top tirezzz!!!!1!!11!!1one!
kthxbai

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
ell oh f*cking ell. This is so hilarious trolling, I have no idea.

okay...
Wrong. Tournament results =/= Tier Lists. Although they ARE an aspect, they aren't what makes the list completely. Otherwise Sonic would be among the best characters and G&W among the lowest. m i rite?

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
Wrong. Tiers do rank characters. The reason why low-tier characters don't win tournaments in Smash is because they CAN'T WIN. No amount of practice or wishful thinking will ever lead to a Kirby winning a major Melee tournament; the game is designed in such a way that it is literally impossible. Therefore, poor Kirby rots in the bottom tier.

There are games that are more balanced, but tiers still exist in them. As long as their is differentiation in design, there will be differentiation in ability. And that differentiation in ability is organized into tiers.
You sir, are an idiot. Any character can win with enough skill. Please find a fire to jump into now.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
You sir, are an idiot. Any character can win with enough skill. Please find a fire to jump into now.
Actually, you'll find he's not. At the highest levels of play, the skill gaps are far too small for a character like Kirby to beat Sheik for instance. Sure an amazing Kirby main can beat a good Sheik main, but at the highest levels of play, the Sheik player WILL win. Take a look at tournament results and it's Fox Marth Falco Sheik most of the time, because they're the ones that have the tools to succeed at the highest levels.

Oracle

Smash Master

You fail. It's a hypothetical ranking of how good they are.

If you ever wonder why a certain character is a certain spot on the list, just go watch videos of that character from their discussion board.
D3 is a beast at camping, as is snake, and D3 has really fast, powerful moves like his bair, as well as a super armor recovery that is incredibly long.
TL can't combo because combos don exits in barwl

Mith_

Smash Champion
He does have a Bair pseudo combo though, can't be DI'd out of at low percents. Works similar to Falco's chainspike.

omnicloud7strife

Smash Apprentice
The large amount of stupid that has been said (which, really, is by two people. We know who they are) has made me re-write this post... three times, already. Because, I feel whatever I say, certain people will think it supports them.

Let's start off with the following: I think MK is a TERRIBLE character. I just don't like him. I get that he IS good. He's got fantastic recovery, fast as hell attacks, and I think he has good priority. All this said? I still think he's awful.

Next: If any character could beat any other character? Man, some players would just SHRED people with Ganondorf, just for laughs. But, they don't cause it CANNOT BE DONE. Not when players are of (roughly) equal skill level. Can I shred a newb while using Ganondorf? Hell yes, I can! I love the big oaf. He's really powerful. Can I shred, let's say... Hmm... Let's go with KDJ, or M2K, or PC Chris with my Ganondorf, if they're playing... anyone they're good at? (And, I mean, they can do tricks with em good at, not 'I can play that' good at.) No. I'd get DESTROYED. Hell, my friends beat me up when I play Ganondorf a lot. Not because they're better, cause, they aren't, but because one plays G&W and the other Marth. And, I get *****.

Let's go over this, just as a summary, (to prevent TL;DR syndrome): Some Characters are good, and some aren't. Some players are better than others. When you're roughly equal, higher tier tends to win. TENDS to.

Hopefully, for those that needed reeducation... this helped.

On an unrelated note: Play Melee.

§leepy God

Smash Master
TIERS DON EXIST

I'll say what ever the person thinks that tiers are for queers, let him then sooner or later he will be proven that tiers have a point.

Geist

Smash Master
Saying a clever ryhme won't make tiers go away.
Notice how they're not just specific to smash, but EVERY COMPETITIVE FIGHTING GAME IN EXISTANCE.

You don't have to listen to them, you don't have to be influenced by them, you don't even have to know they exist at all, but they're there. Because it's impossible to make a completely balanced game if there are any variables between characters. Tiers are especially present in a game like Brawl because of the balancing.

The problem here is scrubs assuming they know what tiers are. They're not definite measurements of what character is better. If it were that way, there would be no such thing as counterpicking, matchups, etc. And, oh look. There are.

>Play melee.<

MattNF

Smash Lord
like King GayGayGay and Snakey-Baby... TIERS ARE FOR QUEERS. If you do move him up then TIERS ARE NOT FOR QUEERS!

What are you, like 10 years old?

Vorguen

Smash Champion

Have you at least seen a good DDD in action? How do they not deserve that spot, with that crazy grab range / chaingrab / overall grab game... Crazy heavyweight, nice projectile, amazing B-air and U-tilt, good gimping game... the list continues...

Edit: On further inspection of this post, I see any argument I have will be pointless in light of this noob-fest.

I weep for the world.

Slasherx

Smash Ace
Use your instinct, judge characters on your own.
If you don't like how people on here do it. Then ignore it and keep your mouth shut...

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
so tiers are for queers if toon link isnt in the top 10, ok.... fry. tiers exist now, in the future, and forever. you cant ignore its existance. yes sometimes the tier list is irritating to look at, especially the recently updated brawl one. i have my own issues with it, like snake. i get the fact hes a great character but i think he completely sucks but he will still stay top tier.

you dont have to listen to the tier list, its just a list of characters from best to worst (meta knight to captain falcon). but its still there.

Jxe

Smash Rookie
I'm just gonna prove to you all Captain Falcon doesn't suck. I will master him, then I will enter a proffesional tournament and I'm gonna win! BIATCH!

Top Bottom